“An education while on vacation”

Grand Bahama Nature Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Grand Bahama Nature Tours, based in Freeport, Bahamas, has been one of the leading Eco-tour operators on Grand Bahama Island for the past twenty years. We operate kayaking, snorkeling, biking, hiking, jeep and bird watching tours. All tours involve light to moderate activity and are fully guided by friendly, highly trained, professional personnel. Most of our guides are natives of the Bahamas and the Freeport area and take pleasure in acquainting visitors with the flora, fauna, history and culture of the islands. Included in our tours: Free door-to door transportation in air-conditioned mini-vans from all Freeport and Lucaya hotels. All tours include lunch and refreshments. *See Pickup Schedule Below All equipment included. All admissions to parks and attractions included. For groups: Day excursions to Abaco are also available Children's discounts available on some tours - please call. Our tours are extremely well priced, with most tours being $89.00.
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We did this tour while in port on a cruise. I chose this one because my boyfriend enjoys history and I like snorkeling...and this one combined the two!

Ours was called the Western Heritage tour and I'm so regretful that I can't remember the name of our tour guide.

A small group - maybe 10 of us? - were picked up at the ship. First we visited a lighthouse. At the site, and on the way, we learned the history of the island. I am not interested in history in the slightest, but I found it fascinating. We then saw the conch graveyard, and then went for a nature walk. We also saw a boiling hole (I think....sorry, my memory is terrible!). All were very interesting.

We went to a reef to do some snorkeling. It was a bit of a swim to get to the reef, but flotation devices were provided. It wasn't the best snorkeling I've ever done, but it was certainly adequate (and my boyfriend, who's never snorkeled before, thought it was amazing). I did see a stingray at the end, which made the visit for me.

There are rudimentary changing stations available. Bring your own towel.

Our package included lunch. Our choices were hamburger, hotdog, or conch fritters. The conch fritters were delicious (BUT...and this is a big but...I got incredibly sick later in the day. I don't think it was food poisoning (many in our group ate the same thing and no one else got sick) but being that sick and stuck on a cruise ship makes me never ever ever want conch ever again. Or goombay punch.).

All and all, a very good way to learn a bit about Freeport when you're pressed for time.

There are newer reviews for Grand Bahama Nature Tours

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We did kayak with the nature experience in Freeport. The scenery while kayaking was beautiful, and actually is what kept me clam during the actual kayak experience, which wasn't that great. And was of no fault of the company by any means. I had to share the kayak with my husband. Enough said, right? But once we made it to the nature walk, which lead to a very picturesque beach, it all became worth it. And I was happy I did it. Happy we made it. Which there was a moment I didn't think we would. The beach salvaged this excursion for me...and my marriage (Lol ;-D)

P.S. for the company - single kayak options, please!!!!!!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We did not go wrong in booking with Grand Bahama Nature Tours on our visit to Freeport, Grand Bahama Island. Freeport, Grand Bahama Island was one of our stops on the cruise we took along with another couple and we all had a blast. We booked the Lucayan National Park Kayak and Nature Tour. Our guide, Bradley, was very knowledgeable about the island's history and made the tour an even greater experience. He was also very friendly responding any questions we had. Once we arrived at the Lucayan National Park and Bradley gave us the basic kayaking instructions, we were on our way. Kayaking through the creek was very relaxing, especially for my wife since she doesn't know how to swim and the waters were shallow. It was something great to be kayaking along the mangrove, definitely a great experience! It is about an hour and a half of actual kayaking, the rest is spent on the beautiful Gold Rock Beach where we are treated to delicious sandwiches and snacks before we are given time to swim, walk, or just enjoy time on the beach. If you book this tour and you get Bradley as a tour guide, you will for sure have a great and unforgettable time in Freeport.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Took the Jeep Tour on 9/11/13. This excursion was both fun and informative. J.P. the tour guide made this a really good time and was so knowledgable. The final stop at the beach club was wonderful.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We took this tour as a shore excursion from the Carnival Ecstasy. The trip was exactly as described by Carnival (drive on the left side of road, narrated tour, visit the Garden of the Groves, lunch and beach time), but it wasn't quite what we were expecting. We have done other jeep tours (favorite was Cozumel beach tour), and these tours usually take you to interesting locations and include some fun off-road driving. However, this tour is mostly on road driving (with lots of circles/round-abouts...apparently they like these in Freeport) and not a lot of points of interest to visit (that may be Freeport's fault as much as the tour company?).

We were disappointed by the condition of the jeeps - most of them had burnt-out brake lights and many had malfunctioning seat belts - not the best things when you're on foreign roads! Also, it was blazing hot, but there were no water breaks until lunch (so be sure to bring bottles of water!). Also, probably because our tour guide was used to the heat, when we'd stop for him to discuss history with us, it was always in the hottest location like a paved parking lot...instead of the nice trees just up beach. So overall, our comfort and safety did not seem to be at the top of their list! Another disappointment was the beach time - this was at a crowded beach club where you had to pay to use a chair - not what we were expecting for a relaxing beach visit.

On the positive side, our tour guide was a nice gentleman who enjoyed talking about his city and the Bahamas, and our visit to Garden of the Groves was a nice break. However, these good points don't justify the cost and considering the safety issues, this isn't a tour I'd do again.