“Best part of our cruise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paradise Cove Beach Resort

Paradise Cove Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Freeport B&B and Inns
Mars, Pennsylvania, United States
“Best part of our cruise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Going to Paradise Cove was the best part of our cruise. The beach and snorkeling was so amazing. Is was so peaceful and beautiful at the beach and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We will go back if we are in Freeport again. It was without a doubt the best part of our vacation, we just wish we could have had more time there. The snorkeling was amazing, we saw a sea turtle and huge sting ray and many many beautiful fish. Highly recommend this place

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Todd P

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

We got off the cruise ship looking for something to do.lol. Not much there. So... We found lou a taxi cab driver can't miss him 6foot 350... So Lou where can we go? He says paradise cove. Take us there . So not only was it a blast driving on the wrong side of the road and people passing us like nothing, we had to stop and get gas. When we finally arrived this place is beautiful. I mean beautiful. We took 4 adult kids lol 20-23 year olds. And the girls took a little longer to convince to go in the water but the boys took out like pros. First they show you how to snorkel and the different plants fish corals and what not to touch. Got it lets go. So they take you into the water and teach you a class on how to snorkel correctly. So now we are swimming in the most beautiful water you have seen crystal clear. Not deep at all, I think the deepest was 5 feet. So you see everything. Now we make it to the rocks, be careful they scratch lol. And on the other side 25 feet large large fish octopus. So now we head back cause we're thinking its late so we get back to sand and food we smell food, the best conc I have ever ate. So now we need a tshirt from the little gift store that says I snorkel end dead mans reef. We look up and there stands Lou. You guys ready. Wow
Wonderful trip, so here's the break down.... 16.00 round trip taxi ride with Lou. 15.00 for rental on snorkel gear. 3.00 rental on chair (didn't use) 10.00 tshirt. 7,00 food. And a wonderful trip with kids priceless. Don't let the boat charge you 80.00 per person. Find Lou and do it yourself . Don't ever change this place... And if you take your own gear, than 16.00 taxi ride is cheap. Thanks you we had a fabulous time. Ready to go again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank kelli1734
Worden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Very poor instruction about the reef. I am a scuba diver and have snorkeled in HI, the Med and over the Caribbean. Very poor instruction about the reef. What appears to be a reef parallel to the shore are rock formations at 90 degrees. They insisted that you must snorkel to either end to get around to the backside where the fish and coral are instead of straight out where you could have saved energy to enjoy yourself. This may be a new way to make money as after returning without seeing much we saw a sign posted. Boat ride out to reef $5. Sorry we paid $35 each for the ride out, we had our own gear.

Room Tip: This was about the activities not the hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Merbarbie
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

The most relaxed beautiful place I have been to. To add to this the staff here are wonderful. I can quite honestly say that I've never been anywhere where the local people are so friendly and will do their upmost to accommodate your needs. We visited Paradise cove twice as we were completely blown away by it.. elvis Barry and a lovely gentleman in the gift shop were lovely gentle people who told us the history of the reef and also some history regarding Grand Bahama.

If you get the chance to go you will not be disapopointed. As the name states it sure is Paradise!!

1 Thank Karen G
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This really should be in the "attractions" section rather than the "hotel" section. Very few people stay here and there are only a few cabins. Lots of people come here on tours or rent a car to get here. It is called Paradise Cove by some and Deadman's Reef by others. We rented a car from the cruise terminal. It was a few dollars per person for beach access. The beach was as nice as other Caribbean beaches. As soon as you get in the water you experience rocks of all shapes and sizes, and sea grass. The swim out to the reef is long and they recommend you take a zig zag route due to the sea level and rocks. The day we went there was also a strong current. The reef was nice, not the best, but it is great to swim from the beach for a few dollars as apposed to paying a lot of money for a boat tour. Just a side note for those who are cruising, just about every tour they try to sell on the cruise line can be purchased elsewhere cheaper. Go online, ask around when you get there, take public transportation or rent a car.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank ChrisAndFamily
Burbank, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We spent our last day here and got there by taking the public bus from Port Lucaya and switching to a west end bound bus in downtown. It was super easy and inexpensive. When we got there we were blown away by the beautiful beach and great facilities. As everywhere we found on this island, people were friendly and accommodating. The staff here was very helpful and prices were reasonable. I was happy to find a veggie burger on the menu at the cafe! We snorkeled here and there was a lot to see including a beautiful sea turtle. Considering all species are endangered, I felt blessed to see one! Tread lightly and you will see many amazing creatures and a corals replenishing themselves ( ever so slowly.) The owner Barry was fabulous and we stayed at late as we could. Highly recommended and I would go back again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I booked this via email for $35 each (2 adults / 2 children) We arrived on a Carnival ship for a day in early July and were met by Nathan who transfered us and about 20 other guests in aircon bus to Paradise Cove. The journey was very pleasant and Nathan was informative albeit wears rose tinted glasses when describing some aspects of the isalnd and its inhabitants, lot of loitering around / drinking etc. On arrival at Paradise Cove it appeared just as described and is a fantastic location.

My kids had their own snorkel gear and we had mouthpieces so, whilst we paid the all-inclusive rate for equipment (snorkel/mask/float belt and flippers), we didn't in fact need it all.They operate a system where guests choose their package and pay at one desk (very nice lady who apprecitaes what customer service is all about) and are then issued with paper tokens for equipment etc. which guests present to the equipment desk (this is where the system falls down) Clearly the right hand and left hand are not operating in tandem and not all their processes are explained: Fall foul of not getting the right gear, joining in on a briefing half way through, not dipping feet in the washing up bowl when walking onto the deck from the beach or a host of other 'misdemeanours' and a rather obnoxious member of staff shouts at you or uses an accusatory tone which has the effect of suggesting you haven't paid $3 for a sunbed or whatever (actually had paid for 2 but the equipment guy who took the tokens appears to suffer short term memory loss which then serves to set off Mr Angry) thought a beach chair was included in price anyway ?
After the briefing on coral conservation etc. you can enter the water and swim / walk out towards the reef over sea grass. Once near the reef we swam out to the deep side which was fantastic, loads of tropical fish, beautiful colours and many different species. Spent about an hour on the reef then came back to the beach for lunch. Burgers and hotdogs were good, friendly ladies in cookhouse.
I then made 2 journeys from the beach to return the equipment to Mr Forgetful. It went like this: I gave 4 float belts and 2 masks/snorkels to Mr F who took them from me and I told him I would just go back to get the 4 sets of flippers as I couldn't carry everything in one go (carrying everyones gear around is what Dads come on holiday for, yes ?) I came back 2 minutes later with 4 sets of flippers, Mr F had now been replaced by Mr A who snapped "Where's the rest of the gear" . I explained I had just returned it to Mr F a couple of minutes previously. I was given an accusatory sneer which was totally justified because I had in fact travelled half way round the world just so I could steal some old snorkelling gear and some shabby float belts all of which I had secreted under my swim shorts. Yeah right !
Having explained in simple terms that all their equipment had been returned, I was given some bits of paper / tokens to give to the first lady who then crossed the equipment loan off her check list. None of this was explained and once again, not having been given enough tokens by Mr F or Mr A to clear the list, I then had another silly conversation with the nice lady, although my sense of humour was now starting to fade. The nice lady seemed to realise that I was in fact just a Dad who, having paid what was required, just wanted to provide a great snorkelling day for wife and kids and we weren't international snorkel and sunbed theives. The nice lady sorted out whatever the token issue was with Messers F and A and it was then time for our return journey to the port. We had been informed earlier that, although our ship didn't sail until 4.30pm, the return bus transfer was timed for 2.30pm (maybe to accommodate their other guests or themselves ?) As this was our only option, we were keen to get a seat so tried to board the bus at 2.20pm. Nathan then told me we couldn't get on the bus as we hadn't checked-out and had our names crossed off the school register errrr I mean the check-list administered by nice lady. So, having been spoken to like we were misbehaved small children, we went back to formally request leave to depart. Others came under similar scrutiny and were admonished accordingly. The journey back was mostly uneventful.The only highlight in the 20 minute ride back was watching a proper thief clamber over a barbed wire fence having tried to gain access to an old garage. He managed the first fence but got his trousers caught in the barbed wire of the outer fence and proceeded to girate up and down in an attempt to free himself before landing in a heep on the ground and scurrying off - funny !
After we arrived back at the port, It seemed some passengers were then being dropped off at Lucayan Market a couple of miles further on. 3 well mannered and reasonable guys (I think US servicemen) from the ship asked if they could ride along to Lucayan and would then arrange to get themselves back to the ship.The driver could have agreed as he was going that way anyway and would have received a tip from not only the 3 guys but me also as this gesture would have overshadowed the earlier difficulties. No, he ask for an extra $20 (it's only $8 for a taxi from the port to Paradise Cove). The 3 guys very politely declined his 'kind' offer and we all got off at the port - cash in pockets.
So to sum up, great place and Miss Nice and cook staff were lovely people. The down side was bad organisation compounded by rudeness instead of customer service by Messers F and A and if they lighten up a little, demonstrate some trust in their clientele and refrain from trying to fleece people, they may find the system flows more smoothly and everyone has a great time.

• 4 of 5 bubbles