All reviewssea turtlesdeadman's reefred barcruise shiplow tideconch fritterssnorkel gearlong swimartificial reefreef ballssafety briefingnurse sharkscolorful fishcarnival pridedead man's reefgreat snorkelingshallow water
Reviewed March 18, 2012

The best snorkeling I have ever experienced and it is only $30 dollars with the 10% off coupon from the "Things to do" Freeport book! Walk out to snorkeling of 6 to 30 feet and see everything from barracuda, sharks, sea turtles and brightly colored fish and coral everywhere! The staff at the paradise cove resort were very friendly and do their very best to educate and inform snorkelers about the ocean life and habitat that they are fortunate enough to visit so that the visitors and the ocean eco system are protected. They also have two little properties with 2 bedrooms/ 2 baths right on the beach that are available to rent for those who may want to visit the reef on a daily basis during a vacation. Keep in mind the resort is fairly remote so you would need a car.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingNovelty
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Don't miss Paradise Cove in Freeport! Not only is it a great value, but the family that owns it is so helpful and customer oriented! They picked us up at the ship and Maurice gave us a very informative tour as we traveled about 20-30 minutes to Paradise Cove. Upon arrival, they give a trip talk to show you exactly how to responsibly view the reefs and fish. The snorkeling is fantastic...and after snorkeling, come back for the best grouper fingers you'll find anywhere. There are also 2 beachfront cottages that can be rented. This is a FABULOUS excursion! I would return to Freeport just to visit Paradise Cove and Deadman's Reef again!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Meg F
Reviewed March 10, 2012

What a perfect day at the beach and a welcome get-away from the cruise-crowds! To get to Paradise Cove, you'll need to taxi exactly the opposite direction where the rest of the crowds are headed. It's about a 25-30 minute drive West through more of the 'real' Bahamas. When we arrived, check out the photos, we were greeted with a sparsely populated, beautiful beach. The snorkeling was amazing and easy to access; the prices were extremely reasonable. My wife and I spent $53 total there (all equipment rental, lunch and drinks) and $32 to get there and back in a cab. My favorite part was the modest nature of the place (NOT high end) and the sincerity of the family run business. Barry, Inger and others were so genuine and great to talk to. Really, I almost hesitate to recommend this place as it was such a nice quiet paradise, I'd hate for it to get too crowded! Thanks for the great day!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Nate R
Reviewed February 24, 2012

A great day stop over on our cruise. We were picked up just outside four ship and made a 20-30 minute drive out to the resort. The driver gave us an informal tour and answered questions. During the ride you see the real Freeport, not a commercialized area. Upon arrival we checked in and paid for our snorkeling day, beach chairs, and towels. After a brief, but necessary, meeting about safety around the reef, we were off to snorkel. The hosts are very serious about preserving the reef which is a great lesson for kids. The beach is beautiful and very private. We saw turtles, lobsters, eel, barracuda, and many other specimens. If you are able to snorkel to the ocean side of the reef you will encounter a wider variety of sea life. Conch fritters, cracked conch, and grouper fingers were excellent as were the many types of Bahamian beer to try. Lunch for 5 was about $40.00. There were two return trips to the port to allow for cruisers to depart. We were back at our ship in plenty of time to shower and enjoy dinner aboard.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Erica B
Reviewed February 7, 2012

When we landed on Freeport, with our cruise, we found out our day excursion was cancelled because of high winds. So, a bunch of islanders told us we should go to Paradise Cove. We took a $8.00 taxi (each way) to get there with another couple that we persuaded to go so we could get the group taxi rate. (If not, it's hella expensive.)

We got there and stood in line for 15-20 minutes. Finally they took our names and then we were "let go" to start our beach day. We brought our own snorkeling equipment, so we thought it was fine to just go out. As we started walking out, these two dudes started yelling at us. We apparently didn't listen to the snorkeling intro that is mandatory. (How the hell were we suppose to know?)

Then we walked out there and the water was FREEZING! It was mud for at least 50-75ft. Finally we jumped in and started snorkeling. You had to swim over another 50ft of sea grass to finally get to the area with fish. It was a hella choppy day so we were out there for an hour, but didn't see much because of the winds. We saw a couple of varieties of fish, some sand dollars, and some dead coral. It wasn't that great of snorkeling on the day I went out.

It took us FOREVER to swim back because of the wind - it was crazy. After we got back, we ordered some food that took 45 minutes to get. The alcohol was cheap. It was fine; enjoyed the sun, played some volleyball and had a good time.

As we were getting in the taxi to leave, the "owner" of the beach came back and started yelling at me in the taxi and the rest of our crew. He was yelling at us because we didn't pay the $3.00 for the beach. He was accusing us for trying to get it for free and finally I yelled at him back and said, "Look dude, I'll pay your 3 damn dollars, but why don't you yell at your employee for not asking me for the $3.00s because I would have paid it." He finally shut up, and I paid my 3 dollars.

I was never happier to get off that beach. What a TOTAL joke.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple