“Nice Service in a Simple Hotel”

Sunrise Resort & Marina
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Sarasota, Florida
“Nice Service in a Simple Hotel”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were greeted by a very nice staff member--even though we arrived early, she immediately gave us a room. The room was simple, but good. The bathroom could have used an update because many of the floor tiles were cracked. The bed was comfortable but barely attached to the headboard so the slightest move caused squeaks. The wifi was slow but always worked (unlike some of the other reviews of this property). They offered free kayak and bike rentals but we didn't have the time to partake. The location is not too far from anything, but you will need a car to get around.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lizardtiff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Sunrise is a great place to stay if you want to stay away from the crowded Lucaya area. We stayed here for two nights and had a wonderful experience. We had our own rental car, so we did not have issues with staying a little further away. The room was nice and clean and they even have free bikes/kayaks/WiFi for guests. All that said, there are no restaurants nearby, so you will have to drive to a restaurant to get food. The restaurant at the resort is going to open in Jan 2013 and that would make things much more convenient. Overall, I would recommend it if you are planning to rent a car and explore the island on your own.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mopy M
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Thanks Ta Shar I had a wonderful stay. I was there for my birthday in October and visiting a friend. I enjoyed my stay. It was great getting away from my day-to-day fast pace living. Loved the quietness!!!! I will visit you again.

Didn't feel comfortable renting a car because you guys drive on the wrong side of the road and I wouldn't want to cause an accident...lol I had my own personal driver during my stay.

Thanks for the great hospitality!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank pammca
Ta Shar C, General Manager at Sunrise Resort & Marina, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Pammca,

Thank you so much for the kind words. It was a pleasure hosting you for your birthday and glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sunrise Resort and Marina , and beautiful Grand Bahama soon!

Oulton Broad, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on business for just two days.
Good points.... Quiet.... Nothing else..
Bad points... No refreshments, apartment a dirt filter coffee maker. No Wifi, lame excuse about not being close enough to the sports bar, then about resetting it, then about the service provider, then about the whole island being effected. TV would work properly with a bad reception throughout. I was advised there was a free bus into Lucaya at 7.20 PM this was a Taxi bus that was not free.
I don't know where these good reviews came from.
If you want quiet and out of the way, with no services, then stay here.
If you want service and food, then don't stay here, stay in Lucaya...

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Spongeandcustard
Ta Shar C, General Manager at Sunrise Resort & Marina, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Spongeandcustard,

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the issues during your recent stay and wish I had the opportunity to speak about your concerns while you were still here. We strive to provide excellent service and clean facilities in a quiet location at a great value.

Unfortunately, it is against the law for us to advertise complimentary transportation. This is something we do as a convenience for our guests, but it does differ from a regular taxi which you may have mistakenly taken.

There is an issue throughout the island with Wi-Fi service. We know that free Wi-Fi is important to our guests, and we are diligently working with experts to restore the signal strength from the few hot spots back to being available resort-wide as soon as possible.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were booked at this hotel through work for 2 weeks. No one at the desk when we arrived at 9pm. Security guard had to call someone to get our keys. Wifi did not work throughout our entire stay, even after promises of "it will be fixed today." No hot water for 2 days during our stay. A/C in my room just blew in warm air from outside. If you want to get food, be prepared for a $20 cab ride. Beach is a 1/2 mile walk down a path behind a condo unit. Staff was pleasant, but ineffective. Would not stay again.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Stagetek
Dear Stagetek,

Thank you for your comments. I am so sorry to hear of the issues during your stay. I can assure you that it is not representative of our property, which is popular with many business travelers who appreciate our service and quiet location.

Unfortunately, our hot water heater did break last month. We worked quickly to get a new one installed as soon as possible, and have not had any issues since that time. I do know it was an inconvenience for the two days it was out, and I apologize for that.

We are also aware of signal issues with our free Wi-Fi. It is an issue island wide, but we are working with the authorities to restore the signal strength from the few hot spots back to throughout the resort as soon as possible.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I think some of the other reviews were overly generous however the place is not terrible. The property in general is dated however functional. The rooms were clean however nothing fancy. Not much in the way of food. Overall OK and as expected for the money.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank sandsjas
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for 2 days, the staff is REALLY nice and helpful.. nice view outside the room, the rooms face the marina. Rooms are spacious and clean, there's a fridge, two chairs and a table infront your window that overlooks the boats in the marina. Wi-Fi was not connecting at all when I was there... The hotel is little way off the beaten path, west of marketplace but wasn't really far drive back and forth to marketplace or anywhere we went on this trip ... But a CAR is really recommended if you stay at this hoteland if you want to check out the island/ great beaches outside the major tourist spots.
I recommend this hotel IF YOU HAVE A CAR,its good value, clean , nice staff..
oh - and Dominos will deliver ..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple