“Simple but loved it”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Atlanta, Georgia
“Simple but loved it”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Thanks Ta Shar I had a wonderful stay. I was there for my birthday in October and visiting a friend. I enjoyed my stay. It was great getting away from my day-to-day fast pace living. Loved the quietness!!!! I will visit you again.

Didn't feel comfortable renting a car because you guys drive on the wrong side of the road and I wouldn't want to cause an accident...lol I had my own personal driver during my stay.

Thanks for the great hospitality!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank pammca
Ta Shar C, General Manager at Sunrise Resort & Marina, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Pammca,

Thank you so much for the kind words. It was a pleasure hosting you for your birthday and glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sunrise Resort and Marina , and beautiful Grand Bahama soon!

Ta’Shar Cuccurullo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Oulton Broad, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on business for just two days.
Good points.... Quiet.... Nothing else..
Bad points... No refreshments, apartment a dirt filter coffee maker. No Wifi, lame excuse about not being close enough to the sports bar, then about resetting it, then about the service provider, then about the whole island being effected. TV would work properly with a bad reception throughout. I was advised there was a free bus into Lucaya at 7.20 PM this was a Taxi bus that was not free.
I don't know where these good reviews came from.
If you want quiet and out of the way, with no services, then stay here.
If you want service and food, then don't stay here, stay in Lucaya...

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Spongeandcustard
Ta Shar C, General Manager at Sunrise Resort & Marina, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Spongeandcustard,

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the issues during your recent stay and wish I had the opportunity to speak about your concerns while you were still here. We strive to provide excellent service and clean facilities in a quiet location at a great value.

Unfortunately, it is against the law for us to advertise complimentary transportation. This is something we do as a convenience for our guests, but it does differ from a regular taxi which you may have mistakenly taken.

There is an issue throughout the island with Wi-Fi service. We know that free Wi-Fi is important to our guests, and we are diligently working with experts to restore the signal strength from the few hot spots back to being available resort-wide as soon as possible.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were booked at this hotel through work for 2 weeks. No one at the desk when we arrived at 9pm. Security guard had to call someone to get our keys. Wifi did not work throughout our entire stay, even after promises of "it will be fixed today." No hot water for 2 days during our stay. A/C in my room just blew in warm air from outside. If you want to get food, be prepared for a $20 cab ride. Beach is a 1/2 mile walk down a path behind a condo unit. Staff was pleasant, but ineffective. Would not stay again.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Stagetek
Dear Stagetek,

Thank you for your comments. I am so sorry to hear of the issues during your stay. I can assure you that it is not representative of our property, which is popular with many business travelers who appreciate our service and quiet location.

Unfortunately, our hot water heater did break last month. We worked quickly to get a new one installed as soon as possible, and have not had any issues since that time. I do know it was an inconvenience for the two days it was out, and I apologize for that.

We are also aware of signal issues with our free Wi-Fi. It is an issue island wide, but we are working with the authorities to restore the signal strength from the few hot spots back to throughout the resort as soon as possible.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I think some of the other reviews were overly generous however the place is not terrible. The property in general is dated however functional. The rooms were clean however nothing fancy. Not much in the way of food. Overall OK and as expected for the money.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank sandsjas
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for 2 days, the staff is REALLY nice and helpful.. nice view outside the room, the rooms face the marina. Rooms are spacious and clean, there's a fridge, two chairs and a table infront your window that overlooks the boats in the marina. Wi-Fi was not connecting at all when I was there... The hotel is little way off the beaten path, west of marketplace but wasn't really far drive back and forth to marketplace or anywhere we went on this trip ... But a CAR is really recommended if you stay at this hoteland if you want to check out the island/ great beaches outside the major tourist spots.
I recommend this hotel IF YOU HAVE A CAR,its good value, clean , nice staff..
oh - and Dominos will deliver ..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NRamsoomair
Olean, New York
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Sunrise is a convenient, quiet, and squeaky clean place to stay in Freeport. As the name suggests it is a marina and there are many boats docked there so that it felt like a true vacation spot although my trip was totally work related. There is a nearby grocery store for any supplies you may need and the room had a refrigerator and coffeepot as well so doing breakfast and evening snacks or meals was a convenient money saver. Port Lucaya and downtown Freeport are only minutes away.
Mrs. C and ALL of the staff are friendly and very helpful! If the internet signal drops off, just call the desk during the day or security through the night and someone will gladly reset the router. AND if you happen to be there as a hurricane approaches (Sandy, for example), preparations are complete and Mrs. C sends e-mail updates and comes in even when the office is covered in shutters to check on her guests. I will definitely return when I just want a vacation!
No rating for room service or spa because these were not used at this time.

Room Tip: All rooms face the marina, the location itself is quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Angleton, Texas, United States
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Four of us jet skied from Boca Raton to Freeport over Labor Day weekend and picked Sunrise Resort because of the marina and low, floating docks. The resort ended up being more than we could have hoped for at the price we paid. Ms. C was an incredible host and the entire staff (and for that matter everyone on the island) was very helpful and friendly. Everything about the resort was clean and very well kept, rooms were well appointed, easily accessible by taxi and very convenient on the water once we found the correct inlet. I wouldn't hesitate to visit the folks at Sunrise Resort again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends