New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“Relocated Bummer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island in the middle of July 2014. During check in they informed us the hotel we selected was over booked and they were very sorry but would upgrade us to The Reef, I chose Coral Towers because of the location, The Reef was a bit far from all of the activities, but these things happen. We found The Reef to be beautiful. The staff we came in contact with throughout the resort were extremely friendly and courteous. The cuisine was a delight. With all that said, unfortunately we were charged for alcohol out of the mini bar that we did not consume.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank hail2daqueen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed here as part of a large family reunion, and while resorts aren't my thing anyway, too many things didn't work quite right and the staff wasn't quite on the ball in the way I would expect at a large, popular, and expensive resort.

We arrived in our lovely suite to discover that the toilet didn't flush. The front desk promised to send up a repair person, which ended up taking several hours and multiple requests--no time estimate, no apology, just a hassle.

I requested toothpaste from the concierge, then went to take a nap. After repeated calls from the front desk asking if I'd received the delivery, I got up to discover that someone had come into the room while I was napping and left the toothpaste on the bed--the bed I was sleeping in at the time. I can't imagine an international hotel where that's an acceptably normal thing to do.

Little things just weren't right: The shower door wasn't hung perfectly so it didn't close all the way, a sewage smell came up through the shower drain, the clocks in our room and those of our other party members were all set to different wrong times.

And if we're going to pay $31 each for the mediocre (but vast and very nice looking) breakfast buffet at the Cove next door, it's pretty lousy to arrive to find a 40-person line waiting to get in. We came back to the Reef to find another dozen refugees who'd fled for the Starbucks. The cost is what it is, though, including the many, many fees added onto our final bill, and the $22/day you pay for the privilege of accessing the wireless. That part I did expect.

Oh, and one plus about the Reef: For what it's worth, the elevator rides were noticeably smooth and fast.

• 3 of 5 stars
      Location
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank Robin K
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

This is our second trip back to the Bahamas. Last year my wife and I stayed at the Ocean Club which was formerly known as the One and Only. We loved it and decided to take our two children back this year. Since we are traveling with our children we decided to book a two bedroom suite at the Reef Atlantis. The room was old and it was bot worth the 10K they charged for a 5 nights stay. Worst part of the trip was that one morning my wife and i decided to check out the Cain pool which was an adult pool at the Cove which is next door to the Reef we were rudely asked by Ricardo who was a security guard there to leave. We were not even swimming and there was not a single person there. They told us that the pool is for Cove guests and Reef owners only. We apparently were just above trash according to him. I have never been so insulted. I booked this trough by Amex Centurion Card Travel and was never told we would be treated like a second class person. For the money to spend staying at a two bedroom suite at the Reef you are better off going somewhere else.

Stayed July 2014
11 Thank Russell L
austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was a little apprehensive about my stay at the Reef after reading so many reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised at how nice everything was.

Staff - Super friendly and accomodating. Anything that we requested was granted. We learned so much from the staff about Atlantis and the Bahamas.

Hotel - The room was super nice, the bathroom was beautiful and spacious. We booked a terrace view room but when we arrived the host gave us a complimentary upgrade with views of the ocean and harbour. The in room fridge and stove were also nice, since we often had leftovers from all of the meals we ate. The Reef is also smoke-free which I loved. The Reef was worth the money compared to the other Atlantis hotels.

The Reef also has its own beach which was never crowded and we were always able to find a beach chair.

Food is expensive but not more than what you would pay at any other island resort. I found that the prices were comparable to Hawaii. However you can find cheaper and better local food with just a short taxi ride in to Nassau.

The only downside for me was the expensive cost of Wifi. Since I left a young son at home, it was hard to not be able to Skype or Facetime, but at 25.00 dollars a day, we were not willing to pay that amount for Wifi. There is free Wifi available in town.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a ocean view, ask for a upgrade when you arrive and tip the host.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank neasel
Fontana, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed here during the 4th of July week with my husband and kids ages 5,7,13 and 17 in a two bedroom suite. The room was immaculate, modern and very spacious although we had no ocean view. A full kitchen in the room made it very easy to make a few meals. There is a lot to do at this place so try to schedule before you arrive. Make your dinner reservations at least a week in advance. Eveything is very pricey and they do add an automatic 15% gratuity on everything- even snacks and drinks at the pool. We took a large suitcase of food items and ordered from foodstore.com as well. Packed a foldable ice chest and stocked it up with snacks and premade drinks in sports bottles for the beach and pool. Take double the sunscreen you may think you need- trust me- you go through it quickly. Their kids club is very cool- the kids loved it. Although this too is pricey, do it- you're on vacay! We did this and then went to The Cove's adult only pool. They had a live DJ and it's not as crazy as a Vegas pool party but it does the duty. We got bottle service and were able to bring the half-full bottle back to the room with us. They're not supposed to let non-owners in but we weren't questioned on our first day there. We were stopped on the 2nd visit we made and had to talk to a manager to allow us in- since we had spent a nice chunk there a couple of days before, she agreed to let us in. We also visited their nightclub (Aura?) it didn't seem too crowded on arrival about 10:30pm but it got super packed shortly after. We snagged a table by the DJ booth (again purchased a bottle for the convenience) and it was totally worth it. They even escort you to the bathroom which is nice. I wish we wouldv'e stayed another 2 days to venture out into town and maybe hit another beach. The big kids did the "snorkel the ruins" adventure and were pleased with the amount of sea creatures they saw. My 5 year old daughter did the "sea squirts" adventure and she loved it. Cool experience for her to feed baby sharks and stingrays. I didn't get to use their spa facility but did a walk thru- it was nice but the facility isn't that big and there's no co-ed pool or hot tub to mingle with your significant other. I did go to their gym which has everything you need to burn off some Bahama Mamas and I did a yoga class which was ok- not the best but not the worst. Although I did think this place was spectacular I don't think I'd return too soon. Only because I think I can get more value for my money at an equally gorgeous carribbean beach elsewhere. (like Cancun, Riviera Maya) Definately checked something off my bucket list though- the place is pretty remarkable.

2 Thank Cecygrr
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was our third visit to the Reef with our kids (we have also stayed at the Royal Tower and Cove without them). The staff at the Reef is excellent - from the front desk, maid service, lifeguards at the pool - all are friendly and helpful. We particularly like this part of the Atlantis because after a busy day using the waterpark we can retreat to a quiet pool and beach that the other water park visitors (cruise passengers) cannot access. Reef and Cove rooms are nicer than those in the other towers and we have yet to be disappointed in spending our weeks there.

Room Tip: We have been very happy with our room all three visits.
1 Thank Paul G
Estero, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The accommodations were wonderful and the property impressive. The room was perfectly suited for our family needs (Kids 18 mos, 4 and 6). We stayed in a junior suite with a king bed and pull out. The room and bath were both large. The kitchenette very handy and includes mini dishwasher, micro, stove top, mini fridge among other items. We ordered from foodstore2go.com and had water, beer, fruit and snacks delivered. There are laundry facilities available on a lower floor. It was fun to explore the different areas every building of Atlantis (5 total) as each has something unique to offer. The kids were amazed by the diversity of marine animals to view and interact with. Everyday brought something new depending on the activity. The kids 4 & 6 enjoyed sea-squirts which was a value for $29 and includes Atlantis swim shirt. A primary benefit to staying at the Reef is Paradise Beach. It is one of the nicest beaches I’ve seen; the water and the sand are just perfect. The volume of marine life that can be seen while snorkeling is fantastic so bring your gear if you have it.
Dining is very expensive! You have some reasonable options for lunch but dinner can be a killer if you’re not careful. The distance from the Reef to the water park, Royal Tower or Casino is far. The walk from Marina village is a real haul and a lot to navigate if you have strollers, however you can burn off some calories if you prefer to look at the positive side. Once you stay at the reef you will find it difficult to stay at any other property on site other than the Cove. If you’re going to stay at Atlantis, the Reef if highly recommended.
The PROs include:

Large comfortable rooms well suited for families
Beautiful hotel product with very good service
Exclusive pool, beach and snack bar facilities
Access the Cove facilities
A peaceful refuge from the activity

The CONs include:

The distance from Marina Village is far
Shuttles from the property filled during dinner hours
Some areas at Royal Towers and beyond are not stroller friendly
Cruise passengers arrive at Water Park after 10am.
Dinner can be very expensive.

Room Tip: We had no problem with a waterview room. We had a direct view of the cruise ship port with corner vi...
1 Thank 515mike
One & Only Ocean Club
#4 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 stars 748 reviews
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 stars 3,413 reviews

Been to The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!