“Perfect”

The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Absolutely beautiful rooms and staff! We had two double beds with kitchenette overlooking the resort and beach on the 9th floor.
The sliding window from the bathroom to the bedroom always bothers me in hotels, but it was frosted, but a little awkward when sharing a room.
The Reef is more private than a lot of the other hotels, as it is "out of the way". I didn't find the walk far at all, and you could always get the mini bus. There is a private shared pool with the Cove that was almost always empty, as well as the beach.
There are no restaurants (other than a Starbucks) however only a short walk to Cove's Mesa or Mosaic, and not much further to other restaurants. Room service food was really good too.
Small shop in the foyer sold milk, bread, amenities etc. Whilst expensive (by home standards), it was still pretty hotel standard prices!
Mini bar prices were cheaper than I've seen in other places, and the sameish as restaurants (eg $6 for a beer)
Staff were amazing! So helpful and often rejected tips which (being Australian) I was always unsure about!!
Dream trip - and a dream location. Perfect hotel. I can't fault it!
For two adults and a child, with some breakfasts made by us in the room (toast etc) the total bill at the end of a 6 nights (including drinks, some kids club, and dolphin experience) was $1000. I thought this was reasonable.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a bad view!! But overlooking the resort, beach and pool made for a specta...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank lilbluehorse

Reviewed October 27, 2013

ok i was somewhat concerned reading some of the reviews but i have to say i loved Atlantis .. we were there for a week and the weather was great except the last two days was pretty cloudy but we still went and relaxed on the beach for a few hours. If you are looking for a romantic vacation i guess October is the month to go ,, there were only five or six other couples at the beach at anytime we went there .. We did bring an electric skillet which i was happy about as the frying pan and sauce pan in the room were pretty small and the electric stove top took quite awhile to heat up. I live in California the trip took 12 hours .. i packed frozen turkey burgers from Costco in a insulated foil bag then in a portable lunch back packed with ice packs in my carryon with Tuna and ready rice, protein bars and powder ect .. turkey burgers still frozen when we unpacked at the room. Used Food2go and it was great and reasonable for water, and soda and celery .. checked in baggage was canned non stick spray and spices .. we ate out only once at Fish Fry and that was so not tasty at all i had fish and fries and mac and cheese .. my boyfriend had Shrimp with beans and rice .. he didnt even eat his and i shared my fish with him but it was so not even worth the 50.00 plus dollars .. apparently we missed the place were you could get 10 dollar plates that were yummy :( we walked back to the Hotel from there to walk off all the grease we felt like we ate :) .. anyway stopped at the grocery store got some Salad and cookies and were good to go. Love love love the Dolphin waist deep experience it was fun and informative .. we did the early bird and paid 155 for the two of us .. no it isnt buy one get one free like it is advertised but whatever we saved so much on food it was nice to do other things and not feel pinched ... we spent a day golfing .. there is a driving range which suprised my boyfriend and the course is rated as an easy course and is very beautiful as well .. the service was fantastic .. everyone was so friendly ,, hmm did notice at other hotels maybe not as attentive .. didnt want to stop personal conversations to answer questions but hey we are on vacation and no worries no rushing no problem :) The casino was nice as well ... we didnt find the walks far at all and it was nice to see the grounds and the piped in music was pretty relaxing... the gym is top notch as well cost a pretty penny but no complaints .. towels, water and fresh apples at your disposal .. shuttles run 24 hours a day and all the time .. we never waited more than 5 mins or so when we did take the shuttle .. maybe faster not loading and off loading a lot of people .. it was great .. if you dont like crowds and long waits go in October :)

Room Tip: we asked for room "as high as you can get us with an ocean view" we were on the 17th floo...
1  Thank ARose1019
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I didn't know what to expect but our experience was beyond our expectations! The rooms were nice and spacious, the kitchenette was more than adequate - and given the price of food at Atlantis, I have to say, we made the right decision! The staff was OUTSTANDING. Any problems we run into were taken care of immediately. Housekeeping always did a great job cleaning after my three sandy, wet kids :) The private pool and beach were an added bonus to a fantastic stay in Paradise.

My deepest gratitude to the staff of Reef Hotel, the awesome George at Market Place who always made us feel welcome and at home at dinner, the staff at Crush who made me feel comfortable leaving my 9 year old daughter under their care, the manager at the Reef who made this a second home -- see you all at Christmas!! This was the best vacation ever. Thank you very much!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 19th floor - with 3 youngish ones (7, 7 and 9) and never had any problems. The elev...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MonaB2011
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

This was my third time staying at the atlantis but the first time staying at the reef and let me say that this hotel is just as nice as the cove but a little more private. While the walk to the rest of the hotel was a little longer I just figured I was working off my vacation pounds. The staff were accommodating and more than willing to help. They were great at getting reservations for a boat charter and dinner as well. The reef wasn't too busy even though there were crowds for the michael buble concert. Perfect vacation!!!!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NStrnisha
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Let me start off by saying that I do work in a hotel. That being said, I am only really writing this review because I can't believe people write bad ones. You would really have to be miserable or really unlucky to have a bad time here, in a paradise like this. My husband and I just got home from a ten day trip and I would recommend this place to anyone. I have been to Atlantis before, a few years ago, and stayed at the Comfort Suites next door. You do have to expect that Atlantis is expensive (I agree with almost everything the reviewer below me wrote). The incidentals are high, but you can use your room key everywhere. The benefit to staying at the reef was definitely the kitchen - we just had a studio room but were able to eat about 2 meals a day in the room. Also, the beach and pool felt very private and there was less noise and children running around. We even joked that we barely ever shared an elevator ride.

This was the first time we used a food delivery service (foodstore2go) and they were great. On time, perfect order. I guess if i had to give any kind of negative I would say that we ordered too much food for our little fridge! I think the 1 and 2 bedroom suites have larger fridges, so you would have no problem there. The room itself though was gorgeous, beautiful view, comfy bed, and huge bathroom. Really, the pictures don't lie about this place. The staff was always friendly all around the resort. Specifically we remember Christopher M. who was very friendly at the front desk. Also, we are big fans of Marsha who works in the activities/tours counter in the Coral Towers. If i could mention all the shuttle drivers I would as well - they are great and the service was always prompt. Eventually, you will get tired of walking since the place is HUGE!

We didn't try all the restaurants, because again they can get pretty pricey, but if you are looking for a splurge one day or night I would recommend Dune (its in the golf course/ocean club resort and not right at the main Atlantis) but take a shuttle and you can enjoy oceanfront romantic dining. It was worth it for sure! Some of the other fancy places don't really offer the ambiance you would expect at Atlantis so at least you can get the most for your money here.

There was a bit of construction going on around the resort that I probably only recognized more from being there before. Honestly, there is so much to look at that it really doesn't take away from anything. That's nice that they seem to be constantly updating too.

I can't really say too much else about our trip..we really relaxed most of the time! Enjoyed the pools & waterpark almost each day. Cruise ships really do come in and out every day so we found out that if you are a guest at Atlantis maybe hold out until 4 when the cruise ship crowd leaves. We basically had the current river ride to ourselves the one day we stayed later. Things do sort of close early, but the movie theater is nice and offers three free movies a night. You can also go to the casino which we had no luck at or just walk around the dig and the grounds. It is very quiet and peaceful at night. Oh, and we were there in mid-October and the weather was beautiful almost the entire time. Like 80's and always sunny. It makes leaving and coming back that much harder :(

Now that my husband has experienced Atlantis with me, I don't think i'll be back anytime soon (just because of the price)..but it is someplace I would recommend to everyone at least once. Just try and budget wisely and you will be glad you did!

Room Tip: High floors are obviously nicer :) But i doubt there is a bad room in the place
4  Thank JemmaJoben
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Reef was a beautiful property, and I would definitely stay here again. The lobby is very stylish, and everything is very clean. My husband and I had no wait to check in, and the man who helped us was very friendly. We had chosen a studio with an ocean view, and he asked us if we'd like a high floor. We ended up on the 15th floor, and the view was stunning. It was so beautiful that, although we'd envisioned sleeping in a lot, we got up early most days just to watch the sun rise from the balcony. Paying for the ocean view was more than worth the extra cost. The room was also very quiet.

The room itself was very clean and comfortable. Some of the furniture, like the couch, seemed a little dated, but it was still a very nice room. The bed was a little firm for my taste, but I still slept very well (and I usually have a hard time sleeping in hotels, so I was pleasantly surprised). The kitchenette was very handy, and although we didn't really cook we ordered from foodstore2go.com and used the fridge. The safe was large enough to fit all of our valuables including ipads, phones, passports, jewelry, etc. We didn't have an ironing board or bathrobes, but when we asked they were brought up almost immediately.

The bathroom was very nice- double sinks with plenty of counter space and lots of room to store toiletries in the cabinets. The soaking tub was very nice and the separate shower was large, though there wasn't really a lot of space to put shampoo and other shower items. I didn't particularly care for the sliding glass window between the bathroom and the other room- it didn't close all the way and it was just a little weird. I was excited to see that there was a small TV in the bathroom, figuring it would be nice to take a bath and watch or watch while getting ready. However- and this is really the only reason I gave this hotel 4 stars instead of 5- it wasn't working. We wouldn't have minded if they'd taken care of it, but it took the entire week for us to manage to get it fixed. We called and went to the front desk about it at least 6-7 times. At one point someone did come up but said he couldn't fix it and would have someone sent up the next day. That never happened, and after asking again and again, the TV was finally fixed the night before we left. It shouldn't have taken that long and we shouldn't have had to expend so much effort on our parts, nor were we offered any kind of compensation for the issue. In the end it wasn't a big deal, but we got sick of asking and it annoyed us just enough to make our experience less than ideal.

The room was cleaned well every day- I'm pretty particular about cleaning and the maid was very thorough. The room also had a button you could press that would illuminate outside the door to indicate either "do not disturb" or "clean room". This was very convenient and we always came back to a clean room. There were generally plenty of towels and washcloths, and although I didn't expect them to take care of it, our dishes were cleaned as well.

As for the rest of our stay:

Food: It was very convenient to have a Starbucks in the lobby. Don't order room service. We got there late the first night and didn't feel like going out to find something, but the room service cost us over $60 for two burgers and fries, and this didn't even include drinks. The burger was okay, but the fries were soggy. Other food around the resort was hit or miss: we loved the Bahamian Club, Mosaic, and Marina Pizzeria. We didn't enjoy Bimini Road or the Marketplace.

Service: I read so many reviews before we left about poor service at Atlantis, but found the opposite. Nearly everyone we encountered was friendly and polite, and always asking how they could help or whether we needed anything. This was true both on and off the resort. I don't think I've ever encountered such exceptional customer service, not even at Disney. One of the few exceptions to this was when we were trying to find out where to go to catch the Blue Lagoon ferry. The concierge (this was actually not at the Reef, but at Coral Towers) started to tell us, but when she realized we were doing Blue Lagoon and not the Atlantis dolphin experience, she clammed up and rudely pointed us to the tourism desk. Otherwise, though, most everyone was very pleasant and went above and beyond, from the shuttle drivers who would converse with us and ask us how our trip was going, to the bell men who were always opening doors, to random employees who smiled and said hello just passing by.

Activities: Wrote some separate reviews, but loved Blue Lagoon. Spa was pretty bad. We stayed mostly on the property, which is beautiful. Everything looks exactly as you expect it to look from the pictures online. The Cove area is especially stunning. The aquariums were fun to look around in, and we loved being able to look down and see fish, stingrays, and sharks just swimming around without having to look through glass. I wasn't impressed with the shops, there wasn't that much that I was interested in. Marina Village was a nice little area, it was very picturesque with all the yachts around. We had fun at the waterpark, and there were a lot of pools to choose from. All very clean. I especially enjoyed the pool that is exclusive to guests at the Reef or Cove, as well as Paradise Beach. Neither was ever crowded and it was nice to be able to get away from the waterpark and main beach- much more relaxing. The water at the beach was so pretty, with gentle waves and the sand was soft. We were glad we paid a little more to stay on that side of the resort. It was always very quiet and peaceful.

Transportation- To and from the airport, we used the Dan Knowles shuttle we bought with our package. They were easy to find when we arrived, and we had a van to ourselves on the way there. The driver was very personable and showed us points of interest along the way, as well as made recommendations for activities for us. On the way back, we had a bus which stopped at a couple of the other towers and it filled up fast. There was a family with tons of bags- so many that they wouldn't fit on the bus- and the driver had to call for a truck to come and get them. We ended up sitting there on the bus for about 20-30 minutes because they refused to leave their bags and insisted on making everyone else wait so they could see them loaded onto the truck. Despite the driver's best efforts to reassure them that they did this all the time, and promises that their bags would arrive at the airport shortly, they still insisted. This was annoying and we were pretty worried we'd miss our flight. If the airport had been more crowded, we probably would have. This wasn't really Dan Knowles' fault, although perhaps it would be better for them to find out how many bags you have when you confirm your reservation to ensure they had enough room. Just be advised that if there is a group who thinks they should be able to take up the entire bus themselves, you could end up waiting. For this reason only, I'd probably take a taxi next time, even though I found the drivers to be professional and efficient. As for the shuttles between the different areas of the resort- they are convenient, but be prepared to wait. They didn't seem to run on any particular schedule, and we eventually learned that every time the bell man told us it would arrive in 5 minutes, that really meant "it will be here when it gets here". That could be 5 minutes or 20 (more often 15-20). Oftentimes we could have walked where we were going much faster if we weren't so tired.

Value: If you're looking for a value, I don't think Atlantis is the right place to go, and certainly not the Reef or Cove. Yes, everything is outrageously expensive- especially the food. But I don't know why anyone is particularly surprised when they get there- if you read any of the reviews, you know what to expect. It all adds up extremely quickly- we ended up spending about $1000 on food and the spa for less than a week. We could have utilized the kitchen more and saved a couple hundred, but I hate cooking on vacation. But since we knew what to expect, we just tried not to think about it and enjoy our time there. If we couldn't afford it, we wouldn't have gone, so no use complaining.

Overall, my husband and I had a wonderful trip, and if we ever end up going to the Bahamas again, we'd definitely stay at the Reef. Normally, by the end of a vacation I'm ready to go home, but not this time. Neither one of us wanted to leave!

Room Tip: Definitely spring for the ocean view, and ask for a high floor. It really is worth it.
3  Thank Lizzie1712
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The resort and this specific hotel are simply amazing. The beach is breathtaking and there is a huge pool right in front of it surrounded by manicured gardens. Room is well oversized compared with a standard hotel room and bathroom is very nice with a separate rain water shower and tub. The room has a balcony which is perfect for lounging.

We must have been there during a low occupancy time in October because it felt like we had the whole resort to ourselves. This was in contrast to the other side of the resort (Royal) that was much more lively.

Incidentals cost us around 300/day for a family of 3 including a two year old who does not each much and who ate dinner for free. This included internet at 20/day. I went into it knowing that food would be costly and trying to ignore it but it still stung bad for the first couple days. After that I got used it it and it didn't hurt anymore. Unless you're going to carefully manage expenses (cook for yourself, order groceries, etc as others have done), there's really no way around this.

Only other logistical issue is that this hotel is at the far end of the property so you will need to do a lot of walking back and forth to get to the action (waterpark, stores, and most of the restaurants). This can use up some time if for example you'd like to spend your day at the Reef beach which is amazing but take your meals on the other side of the resort where there are more casual / less expensive options. The flip side of this is that the Reef side of the resort is quieter, calmer and feels much more luxurious.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!