“What a disapointment” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
London, United Kingdom
“What a disapointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I had been so looking forward to coming back to Atlantis because I had not been there since I was a Kid. But the great memories that I had of Atlantis stayed as only memories and my girlfriends first time was not as magical as I had made it out to be. We had arrived in the afternoon after travelling 16 hours from London and went up to our room, the room was nice but for some reason there were mouldy vegetables in the fridge instead of a mini bar. So wanting some water and a light snack before crashing out I ordered a 2 soups and 2 bottles of water... total? $68! I calculated that the food & drink + a small delivery charge would be a maximum of $40 so God knows where the other $28 came from? After a mild grumble we drifted off to sleep. The next morning, I wanted to make coffee using the machine provided in the room. The plan was doomed from the start as after 3 mins of turning it on the whole coffee-holding-area began to overflow and go over the cabinet. The machine was broken and the little nozzle at the bottom of the coffee-holding-area was stuck closed. So after a clean up effort we descended to the Starbucks in the lobby, the queue was out of the door and we waited nearly 40 mins to get our morning fix (maybe it was so busy because other peoples machines didn't work either?). The were numerous other 'little' events that happened, but the overall theme of it is that Atlantis will charge you for just about anything...even water cups (quick tip...the only free water I found was by dolphin cay) While I love the Aquarium and the water park is great fun (though my shorts have gone a slight odd shade of green), Atlantis is very over priced for what you get out of it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JamesBeckett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Easton, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The rooms and facilities as a whole are top notch. Service is very good and friendly.

Most of the guests had very small children. As a whole the Atlantis property (except The Cove) caters to small children. Expect to be surrounded in pool by a bunch of diaper wearing toddlers. Since my kids are grown, my next stay at Atlantis will be at The Cove where the pool is limited to 18+

Beach is awesome. Very friendly and attentive beach staff.

Only complaint is that most pools and pool bars close at 5 pm. No chance to pull up bar stool or go to swim up bar and enjoy the sunset.

2 Thank Tperdue4012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We chose Atlantis for my sister's 30th birthday celebration and what a fabulous choice. From the moment we arrived at check in at the Reef, we had an unbelievable experience. We chose the Reef because we wanted an older crowd experience, however wanted to still have experience with Atlantis property. Our suite was beautiful overlooking the ocean and the amenities were great. All the employees at the Reef were very friendly and hospitable and ensured that we were there to have a relaxing vacation away from home. Peggy Wilson at the front desk welcomed us with open arms. She has truly become our family and still to this day we communicate with her anticipating our next visit. She truly went above and beyond for us and we were very much appreciative of all her great deeds. We left the Atlantis with such great memories. My sister and I can't wait to return back to this fabulous resort

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I choose ATLANTIS HOTEL, because i found it amazing in photos, and now i am so happy i was actually right.
THE REEF, is the perfect wing of this hotel, because is calm. and not a lot of noise, or people,. i got the swimming pool right in front, and it was most of the time with few plp. i love that , because it was perfect for our honeymoon.
and if you want noise, and music and djs, you just go to the royal towers, or coral towers and you get that.

EXPENSIVE, BUT ITS WORTH IT. those were the words of my husband. :))

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LiliRueda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Eleven of us stayed at the Reef the first week of July, occupying three studios and a one bedroom suite, all with great oceanviews. We were there to celebrate my wife's birthday, and overall we had a great time. We read many reviews of Atlantis before booking. Having lived in the Bahamas many years ago, we knew that prices at such a resort would be high, but as this was a very special occasion, price was not a concern. The Reef was definitely a lot quieter than other hotels in the resort, and this is exactly what we wanted. Overall service was good, but there were a few things that could have been improved. Upon arrival at 3:30pm, 2 hr. late due to a problem with our plane, only two of our four rooms were ready. By 3:30 on a Wednesday, I would expect all rooms to be cleaned and ready. On finally getting our rooms, the first drawer I opened was full of dirty closes presumedly left by the previous occupant. As well, there were no bathrobes in our room. Upon notifying the front desk, the night manager came to our room and apologized for the problems, and we were impressed by this quick response by senior staff. Our daughter, son in law and three grandchildren occupied the one bedroom unit. As the two youngest children are still in cribs, we had our travel agent get confirmation in writing from the resort that the cribs would be in the room upon our arrival so the kids could have their afternoon nap. The cribs were not in the room as promised, though we're delivered within twenty minutes once we advised the front desk. This lack of attention to detail with the rooms was disappointing given the rates charged.
The rooms were well equipped, but are in need of refurbishment. Our carpet, as well as those in two other rooms, was badly stained. The furniture was well worn and frayed in spots. Again, a bit disappointing given the price charged.
The daily cleaning staff were very friendly, and quickly were calling our two youngest grandchildren by name every time they saw them.
Our group used the services of Foodstore2go and I highly recommend this service. We ordered everything from breakfast foods to wine, snacks, beer and more. Our order was delivered within ten minutes of our arrival, and while three things were found to be missing, they were delivered the next day upon notifying the company. This company is very responsive and has a great selection of items for kids as well as for adults.
We visited many restaurants including Mosaic, Mesa Grill, Seascapes, Virgil's, Bimini Road, Marketplace, and Sea Glass. Every meal was great and the service was excellent, even in the Buffet restaurants such as Mosaic. A special thanks to the staff of Mesa Grill, where we celebrated my wife's birthday. Service was superb, and the food excellent, which made for a memorable evening. Starbucks in the Reef lobby is excellent, and the prices for coffee as well as sandwiches are very reasonable, though there can be long line-ups at times.
Members of our group experienced golf, Trainer for a Day, Walking with the Sharks, the Spa, Shallow Water Interaction, and of course the numerous pools, waterslides, river rafting. Without exception everyone had a great time at all the venues, and those costing additional funds were well worth the cost.
Overall, everyone in our group had a great week at Atlantis, and The Reef, though there is room for improvement in attention to room details.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Gary M
Frisco, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We just returned from our first trip to Atlantis and we loved every minute of our stay at the Reef!Service was great, and all the employees we encountered were helpful and friendly. The lady who cleaned our room every day was especially kind and friendly, she even knew our kids' names.:) When we checked in, we were assigned an oceanview 8th floor room. I asked if we could please have a room on a higher floor as close to the beach as possible. Boy, am I glad I asked! She gave us a room on the 16th floor close to the very end near the beach. The view was breathtaking! The bellman that brought our bags up was extremely helpful, he stood out on the balcony with my husband and kids and pointed things out on the property and shared other helpful information.

We stopped at Super Value on the way from the airport and got water, wine, sodas, beer, bagels, milk, oj, etc. We ended up eating every breakfast in the room and most lunches. The mini kitchen in our studio was perfect! We had a microwave, toaster, mini-fridge, plates, cups, flatware...everything you need to prepare an easy meal. The fridge wasn't super big, so don't buy too many perishable items!

The furniture, finish-out, and décor in the room was very nice. Nothing too fancy, but pretty high-end. The carpet was a little worn and will probably need to be replaced soon.The bathroom was awesome, it was huge, had double sinks, and worked out perfectly for our family of four when we were all getting ready.My kids, 8 and 10, slept on the sofa bed and said it was very comfortable. I laid down on it, and I must say, it wasn't too bad for a sofa bed! My kids have slept on much worse ones, and complained the whole time.

I don't think we could have stayed anywhere else other than the Reef or the Cove and been happy at Atlantis. We visited the other hotels and they were way too loud, busy and chaotic. Yes, you are a little further from everything, but believe me....it's worth it! We spent our mornings on the rides and spent our afternoons on the peaceful and relaxing beach in front of the Reef. I think the hotel was booked at 80% while we were there, and it was never crowded at the beach or pool. And speaking of the beach! It was clean and well-groomed, and we saw all kinds of fish right there in front of the hotel. We even spotted a barracuda one day swimming around close to shore. Bring your goggles or snorkel masks!

We were so sad to leave the Reef and can't wait to go back someday!

Room Tip: Ocean-view, high floor, and on the end nearest the beach!
4 Thank mommybrown
Kodiak Island, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I spent 7 nights at the Reef with our 18 month old. This was our first trip to Atlantis and had read countless reviews here on TripAdvisor before making the arrangements for this trip. I can understand the mixed reviews. We heard some not-so-pleasant comments from some guests while others raved. We can say we had a nice stay.

The laundry room with free (that's right - free) machines made it easy not having to pack too much and enabled us to complete a few loads of laundry that our toddler definitely needed done.

The internet access was spotty - sometimes good; sometimes none existent. With a toddler heading to dreamland every night around 9, it gave us a few minutes to catch up on e-mails and news.

Food was expensive, but Cascades next to the pool was actually not too bad priced (compare to ballpark prices - $12 for a big hamburger). We ate at Mosaic twice (dinner and breakfast) - expensive buffet but really good quality and excellent service. We ate at Virgils (good value given the amount of food they give you - we ended up bringing back enough leftovers to feed us for another meal). Seagrapes was good too - not as nice as Mosaic in quality but the pros were the Ben & Jerry's ice cream and good kid-friendly food selection. One last note - our first night we did order Dominos Pizza. We had a very hungry toddler and were still getting settled in so I opted for a quick meal - Dominos delivers to the lobby and the price is pretty close to what we have back home. With food in our tummy it made it easier for us to explore the Atlantis food options without feeling the need to jump at the first restaurant/option we saw.

We took the water taxi a few times into Nassau. Great and cheap way to get into the heart of the city (drops you off near the Straw Market) - $4 per person - walk all of the way out of Marina Village and towards the bridge (you will see signs showing you the way)

My wife had a nice time at Dolphin Cove; my daughter and I were able to watch (for free) and hang out in the lagoon. The snack bar at Dolphin Cove was nice too; good frozen drinks.

In all, we had a very enjoyable stay at the Reef. We opted for a Harbor view because it was quieter (even though they are building a new structure during the day). If a toddler can sleep through it (and we were only on the 7th floor right above them) then the room has excellent noise protection. Yes - you can hear the sea lions in Dolphin Cove at night when you are on your balcony but we could not hear them in our room. NOTE: even though it is a harbor view - we actually had a harbor and partial ocean view. We did purchase some food from foodstore2go.com - they delivered right on time.

Room Tip: The higher you go the better, we liked the Harbor View because of the quiet.
5 Thank kodiaktraveler
#4 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,470 reviews
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,648 reviews
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,528 reviews

Been to The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!