The Reef at Atlantis, Autograph Collection
  • Free Internet
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
1,705 results
All reviewsstudio roomocean view studiowater parkfull kitchenroyal towersstove topmeal plancove guestssmall kitchencascade poolmarina villagelazy rivergrocery storepots and pansfamily vacationprivate beachmosaic buffet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I am in Reef Hotel right now and I'm very unsatisfied. The TV doesn't work, the tap water doesn't work, they didn't make up my room for 2 days and they never ever replace the minibar, so we have to ask for water every day.

The Hotel is intended to be a family Hotel, however we cannot have dinner in any restaurant with our 3 years old son, because all the restaurants only allow children up to 5:30pm and I won't have my dinner during the day.

Today also my son had an accident and has hurt his mouth, I've been to the nursing and they said the doctor left at 11:00 am. What kind of resort has a nursing that closes at 11:00 am? We had to go to Doctor's Hospital, which is the closest to HELL a person can be.

Room Tip: To choose a room where everything works fine, just choose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank RodrigoHSS
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Having just returned from a Four day "weekend" trip to The Reef, I felt compelled to write a quick review. First off thanks for the previous reviewers who recommended Fergies Taxi service from the Airport, Sandra was there waiting for us (even though customs/immigration was short staffed and took almost an hour to get through) and arrived 15 minutes early for the scheduled pickup on the return trip. It is not a short ride to the airport and her rates were very reasonable.
The resort was everything it claims to be, it is very "disney-like" in a good way. Everything is perfectly manicured and it is overrun with helpful staff. The selection of places to relax either on the beach or one of the many pools was endless. My Twelve year old son had a blast at Aquaventure and claims it was one of the best vacations he has ever had, keep in mind that this lucky child has been to Disneyworld and several cruises in his short travel history.
The food, albeit expensive was top notch, pricing equivalent to New York City restaurants should have the same quality and it did, everywhere we ate. The only non positive events we heard observed were with other patrons either being rude to the staff or not being able to control their children or themselves, and was not a common occurrence but was observed more than once.
The resort does offer day passes to cruise passengers and the resort tends to get crowded from 10am til 3pm only, but this can be all avoided by staying at your private beach and pool at The Reef where day passes are not allowed. Overall it was a great "weekend"!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Glurch2891
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed at the Reef from Aug 25-29th. Just me, my Son (16) and Daughter (15). Yes that is when Hurricane Issac swung by Nassua as well. Issac kept us inside for only one morning and by 12:00 Aquaventure was open and very uncrowded. No lines and plenty of tubes to go around. The day before and the day of the Hurricane the park was about 30% capacity. The next two days were packed. The cruise ships ruin it all. Not heir fault though. Its Atlantis that lets them in. There should be a limit on how many cruisers get in.

Yes, the place is expensive but if you plan it correctly you can get out of there without a second mortgage. Domino's delivers so there is one cheap night right there. The food around the pools is reasonable (for a resort) but it's just fast food crap. We used the Starbucks at the Reef for a few lunches. Decent wraps and such.

We left out of Boston and visited the New England Aquarium the night before the flight. Gotta say my hometown aquarium is not the same in my eyes anymore, at least not after seeing the Ruins. The Ruins at Atlantis were fantastic and we wish we would have scheduled the "Snorkel the Ruins" earlier since it was sold out. Two Manta rays, many Eagle Rays, just so cool. And the Saw Fish!!! Just WOW!!

Before we left I told my kids about the teen night club Crush. They were both like "yeah right, like I'm going in there". They went the 3rd night we were there and I lost them after that. They met up with new friends the next day and off they went to the water park. Of course that night they were asking if they could go back to Crush again.

I have to throw in some kuddos for my travel agent Mitch@tripguy.com. He handled all my travel for me and there were a few great perks awaiting us at check-in. I normally do not use a travel agent but Mitch made me feel at ease and helped me with my control problem :-) Overall a great experience!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Dan B
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Reef from August 26th- Sept 2nd, 7 nights. We stayed in an oceanview studio, our room was exactly how it looked on the website. The room comes with a stocked fridge and also your own personal empty one. Unfortunately our stocked fridge had all old beverages that were expired so we had someone come up to the room and change them. The bed was comfortable, there was a tv in the bathroom, separate shower and bathtub, and a large vanity with his and her sinks, can't complain about any of those things.

Beach:

Paradise beach which is the Reef & the Coves beach is by far the nicest, so this was definitely a plus while staying at the Reef. A couple of things that I did not like about the beach was that beach chairs were only located on a section of paradise beach. We found that the nicest part of the beach was further down so we were unable to get any beach chairs. Also, whenever my boyfriend went to get us drinks he would have to walk really far. Sometimes he woud get lucky and be able to purchase drinks at the bar located at the Cain (Pool exclusively for Cove guests).

Food:

Mosaic was also close by (located in the Cove), which is their most upscale buffet restaurant. Breakfast at Mosaic was the best but be ready to spend at least $70 for two people. I would suggest not going there for lunch because they really do not have as great of a selection that they do for breakfast and dinner. My boyfriend usually started our mornings around 10 o'clock. At this time we did not have long waiting lines for Mosaic and starbucks (located in the Reef lobby). However, when we woke up earlier we were faced with lines that went way out the door (ridiculously long).

For dinner we tried a couple of the fine dining places including the Courtyard Terrace, the Bahamian Club, and Nobu. All of them were exceptional. The Courtyard Terrace at the One and Only Ocean Club was by far my favorite when it came to ambiance. It was gorgeous, fire pits, dim candles, and fountains. It was perfect for a romantic dinner outside. The Bahamian Club we thought had the best food compared to the rest. We both ordered steaks and they were delicious, no complaints. Nobu had delicious food as well but I think we both would have appreciated it more if we ate real sushi. We are more into chicken/beef teriyaki and california rolls.

Overall the Atlantis is nice and you definitely have an abundance of food options for all different palates.

Entertainment:

Aura was definitely a good time. It was packed, good music, great atmosphere. It was aesthetically going for a Vegas vibe. Dragons on the other hand was dead. They do have bands playing during earlier hours but once that goes away I think people head off to Aura. When we were there Miranda Cosgrove and Kathy Griffin were performing although we didn't go to either one it was still available. There are definitely lots of things for kids to do without a doubt. The aquariums were nice but they were a little dirty. The tanks definitely needed to be cleaned. The Marina Village also has some entertainment at times. When we were there the Junkanoo band came into the village to play. The casino also was a lot of fun. It is huge and there is definitely something for everyone.

Service:

While dining at the finer establishments, service was great. The waiters were very attentive and extremely courteous. At Mosaic service definitely lacked. Sometimes we would have to wait until we finished our meals before we even were asked if we wanted anything to drink. And of course, there was a 15% service charge on everything so even if you didn't like the service they were still getting a decent tip anyway. This charge is on EVERYTHING, including just on a bottle of water. So expect to be dropping a lot of money. Overall we found that most of the staff were very courteous and friendly, we were for the most part always greeted with a smile (there are always a few exceptions which are expected). We also chose to go to the fancier places because since there were so many children (which we love), we wanted to be in more of an adult atmosphere sometimes for a more intimate setting.

Overall I definitely enjoyed Atlantis but I didn't feel as if I was in the Bahamas. Everything was so Americanized that it didn't really feel as if you were in the Caribbean. When I travel I like to be immersed in other cultures and truly feel as if I have visited another country. Since I didn't get the Bahamian feeling from Atlantis itself, I decided to sign us up for an adventure tour outside of the hotel. We booked a Powerboat adventure tour which was amazing. It was $200 pp and you take a boat to Exuma where you feed iguanas, stingrays, and see a variety of sharks being feed. You also get to do a little snorkeling, drink the local rum, and watch a conch salad freshly prepared. This is what I needed before I left. It was refreshing to leave Atlantis and get a real feel of the Bahamas. If you are interested in this ask the concierge to book it, you wont regret it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our family took a trip to Atlantis with a group of 8 adults and 2 infant children. I’ll try and take you through the entire trip. As the title states, we had opted to stay at The Reef which provided the kitchens and a little larger living space which came in handy for the children.

Check-in: We arrived on a Saturday around 12:00 and the check-in process was relatively smooth. The front desk had all of the reservations and 3 out of the 4 rooms were clean and ready. The bell staff was attentive and our bags were delivered a sorted without a problem.

Pool and beach (including staff): If you are not aware, the Reef has its own pools and they loosely control who comes into the pool area. They are not strict at all with the wristbands but with the Reef being on the back end of the Atlantis property, there were always plenty of chairs and plenty of space in the pool. The ladies who gave out towels and wristbands daily were a pleasure. After just one day, they started to remember you by name and face and would make small talk with you. Very nice touch.

Staff: besides the folks at the pool, the rest of the staff at the Atlantis seemed to have a “chip” on their shoulder. For being at a resort, they did not seem to mind if they delivered less than superb service. Mediocre service would prob. be the best you could expect. For example, on the second night of our trip, my sister had reserved a babysitter for the evening so we could celebrate our parent’s anniversary. The babysitter never showed up. When promised a call the next day, that call never came. When checking out, the charge for the babysitter was still on the bill and the front desk staff said they couldn’t clear it without permission from someone who wasn’t there. Just another example, when asking a good course to run, the bell stand said anywhere. Seeing as I have never been there, I questioned further. You would have thought I had asked them some deep, highly offensive question.

Water Park: The water park was a small disappointment. First of all….check out the number of cruise ships in port. If there are more than 2, avoid the water park. It will take forever to get on any ride. Upon our arrival, the Atlantis staff was diligently erecting a fence blocking off four slides. Combine the cruise ships and half the number of slides, and you have a congested mess.

Room: the rooms at the Reef were top notch. Clean, comfortable, big, and perfect for what we used it for. We would make lunch daily and sit on our balcony and soak in the view. The beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean. The only small drawback was the water pressure in the shower. All in all though, no real complaints.

Nightlife: I will review each individual restaurant separately, but try and sum up the cocktails and casino in this section. We were amazed that at the beach, in paradise, that there were no outdoor bars or places to have cocktails. No live music, no tiki bar, the outdoors shuts down completely when the sun goes down. With that being said, we had a few fun nights in the casino. The dealers are friendly and the drinks come frequently enough.

Shuttle: We enjoyed walking most places, but we did catch the shuttle a few times. The shuttle drivers, as were most of the staff, were not the friendliest but the shuttle is never more than a few minutes away.

To summarize the trip, if I were going back to Atlantis, I would stay at either the Reef or the Cove. Would I go back? More than likely not. For active people, there is just not a ton to do while you are there. The prices on the resort didn’t bother me (though they are comical), but for people who live at the beach, there was not much to do or see. Just being at Atlantis is a sight all by itself and def. recommended for those with children age 8-15.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family