“Best of both worlds”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Glurch2891
“Best of both worlds”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Having just returned from a Four day "weekend" trip to The Reef, I felt compelled to write a quick review. First off thanks for the previous reviewers who recommended Fergies Taxi service from the Airport, Sandra was there waiting for us (even though customs/immigration was short staffed and took almost an hour to get through) and arrived 15 minutes early for the scheduled pickup on the return trip. It is not a short ride to the airport and her rates were very reasonable.
The resort was everything it claims to be, it is very "disney-like" in a good way. Everything is perfectly manicured and it is overrun with helpful staff. The selection of places to relax either on the beach or one of the many pools was endless. My Twelve year old son had a blast at Aquaventure and claims it was one of the best vacations he has ever had, keep in mind that this lucky child has been to Disneyworld and several cruises in his short travel history.
The food, albeit expensive was top notch, pricing equivalent to New York City restaurants should have the same quality and it did, everywhere we ate. The only non positive events we heard observed were with other patrons either being rude to the staff or not being able to control their children or themselves, and was not a common occurrence but was observed more than once.
The resort does offer day passes to cruise passengers and the resort tends to get crowded from 10am til 3pm only, but this can be all avoided by staying at your private beach and pool at The Reef where day passes are not allowed. Overall it was a great "weekend"!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Glurch2891

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Greene
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed at the Reef from Aug 25-29th. Just me, my Son (16) and Daughter (15). Yes that is when Hurricane Issac swung by Nassua as well. Issac kept us inside for only one morning and by 12:00 Aquaventure was open and very uncrowded. No lines and plenty of tubes to go around. The day before and the day of the Hurricane the park was about 30% capacity. The next two days were packed. The cruise ships ruin it all. Not heir fault though. Its Atlantis that lets them in. There should be a limit on how many cruisers get in.

Yes, the place is expensive but if you plan it correctly you can get out of there without a second mortgage. Domino's delivers so there is one cheap night right there. The food around the pools is reasonable (for a resort) but it's just fast food crap. We used the Starbucks at the Reef for a few lunches. Decent wraps and such.

We left out of Boston and visited the New England Aquarium the night before the flight. Gotta say my hometown aquarium is not the same in my eyes anymore, at least not after seeing the Ruins. The Ruins at Atlantis were fantastic and we wish we would have scheduled the "Snorkel the Ruins" earlier since it was sold out. Two Manta rays, many Eagle Rays, just so cool. And the Saw Fish!!! Just WOW!!

Before we left I told my kids about the teen night club Crush. They were both like "yeah right, like I'm going in there". They went the 3rd night we were there and I lost them after that. They met up with new friends the next day and off they went to the water park. Of course that night they were asking if they could go back to Crush again.

I have to throw in some kuddos for my travel agent Mitch@tripguy.com. He handled all my travel for me and there were a few great perks awaiting us at check-in. I normally do not use a travel agent but Mitch made me feel at ease and helped me with my control problem :-) Overall a great experience!!

4 Thank Dan B
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Reef from August 26th- Sept 2nd, 7 nights. We stayed in an oceanview studio, our room was exactly how it looked on the website. The room comes with a stocked fridge and also your own personal empty one. Unfortunately our stocked fridge had all old beverages that were expired so we had someone come up to the room and change them. The bed was comfortable, there was a tv in the bathroom, separate shower and bathtub, and a large vanity with his and her sinks, can't complain about any of those things.

Beach:

Paradise beach which is the Reef & the Coves beach is by far the nicest, so this was definitely a plus while staying at the Reef. A couple of things that I did not like about the beach was that beach chairs were only located on a section of paradise beach. We found that the nicest part of the beach was further down so we were unable to get any beach chairs. Also, whenever my boyfriend went to get us drinks he would have to walk really far. Sometimes he woud get lucky and be able to purchase drinks at the bar located at the Cain (Pool exclusively for Cove guests).

Food:

Mosaic was also close by (located in the Cove), which is their most upscale buffet restaurant. Breakfast at Mosaic was the best but be ready to spend at least $70 for two people. I would suggest not going there for lunch because they really do not have as great of a selection that they do for breakfast and dinner. My boyfriend usually started our mornings around 10 o'clock. At this time we did not have long waiting lines for Mosaic and starbucks (located in the Reef lobby). However, when we woke up earlier we were faced with lines that went way out the door (ridiculously long).

For dinner we tried a couple of the fine dining places including the Courtyard Terrace, the Bahamian Club, and Nobu. All of them were exceptional. The Courtyard Terrace at the One and Only Ocean Club was by far my favorite when it came to ambiance. It was gorgeous, fire pits, dim candles, and fountains. It was perfect for a romantic dinner outside. The Bahamian Club we thought had the best food compared to the rest. We both ordered steaks and they were delicious, no complaints. Nobu had delicious food as well but I think we both would have appreciated it more if we ate real sushi. We are more into chicken/beef teriyaki and california rolls.

Overall the Atlantis is nice and you definitely have an abundance of food options for all different palates.

Entertainment:

Aura was definitely a good time. It was packed, good music, great atmosphere. It was aesthetically going for a Vegas vibe. Dragons on the other hand was dead. They do have bands playing during earlier hours but once that goes away I think people head off to Aura. When we were there Miranda Cosgrove and Kathy Griffin were performing although we didn't go to either one it was still available. There are definitely lots of things for kids to do without a doubt. The aquariums were nice but they were a little dirty. The tanks definitely needed to be cleaned. The Marina Village also has some entertainment at times. When we were there the Junkanoo band came into the village to play. The casino also was a lot of fun. It is huge and there is definitely something for everyone.

Service:

While dining at the finer establishments, service was great. The waiters were very attentive and extremely courteous. At Mosaic service definitely lacked. Sometimes we would have to wait until we finished our meals before we even were asked if we wanted anything to drink. And of course, there was a 15% service charge on everything so even if you didn't like the service they were still getting a decent tip anyway. This charge is on EVERYTHING, including just on a bottle of water. So expect to be dropping a lot of money. Overall we found that most of the staff were very courteous and friendly, we were for the most part always greeted with a smile (there are always a few exceptions which are expected). We also chose to go to the fancier places because since there were so many children (which we love), we wanted to be in more of an adult atmosphere sometimes for a more intimate setting.

Overall I definitely enjoyed Atlantis but I didn't feel as if I was in the Bahamas. Everything was so Americanized that it didn't really feel as if you were in the Caribbean. When I travel I like to be immersed in other cultures and truly feel as if I have visited another country. Since I didn't get the Bahamian feeling from Atlantis itself, I decided to sign us up for an adventure tour outside of the hotel. We booked a Powerboat adventure tour which was amazing. It was $200 pp and you take a boat to Exuma where you feed iguanas, stingrays, and see a variety of sharks being feed. You also get to do a little snorkeling, drink the local rum, and watch a conch salad freshly prepared. This is what I needed before I left. It was refreshing to leave Atlantis and get a real feel of the Bahamas. If you are interested in this ask the concierge to book it, you wont regret it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jennifer B
Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our family took a trip to Atlantis with a group of 8 adults and 2 infant children. I’ll try and take you through the entire trip. As the title states, we had opted to stay at The Reef which provided the kitchens and a little larger living space which came in handy for the children.

Check-in: We arrived on a Saturday around 12:00 and the check-in process was relatively smooth. The front desk had all of the reservations and 3 out of the 4 rooms were clean and ready. The bell staff was attentive and our bags were delivered a sorted without a problem.

Pool and beach (including staff): If you are not aware, the Reef has its own pools and they loosely control who comes into the pool area. They are not strict at all with the wristbands but with the Reef being on the back end of the Atlantis property, there were always plenty of chairs and plenty of space in the pool. The ladies who gave out towels and wristbands daily were a pleasure. After just one day, they started to remember you by name and face and would make small talk with you. Very nice touch.

Staff: besides the folks at the pool, the rest of the staff at the Atlantis seemed to have a “chip” on their shoulder. For being at a resort, they did not seem to mind if they delivered less than superb service. Mediocre service would prob. be the best you could expect. For example, on the second night of our trip, my sister had reserved a babysitter for the evening so we could celebrate our parent’s anniversary. The babysitter never showed up. When promised a call the next day, that call never came. When checking out, the charge for the babysitter was still on the bill and the front desk staff said they couldn’t clear it without permission from someone who wasn’t there. Just another example, when asking a good course to run, the bell stand said anywhere. Seeing as I have never been there, I questioned further. You would have thought I had asked them some deep, highly offensive question.

Water Park: The water park was a small disappointment. First of all….check out the number of cruise ships in port. If there are more than 2, avoid the water park. It will take forever to get on any ride. Upon our arrival, the Atlantis staff was diligently erecting a fence blocking off four slides. Combine the cruise ships and half the number of slides, and you have a congested mess.

Room: the rooms at the Reef were top notch. Clean, comfortable, big, and perfect for what we used it for. We would make lunch daily and sit on our balcony and soak in the view. The beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean. The only small drawback was the water pressure in the shower. All in all though, no real complaints.

Nightlife: I will review each individual restaurant separately, but try and sum up the cocktails and casino in this section. We were amazed that at the beach, in paradise, that there were no outdoor bars or places to have cocktails. No live music, no tiki bar, the outdoors shuts down completely when the sun goes down. With that being said, we had a few fun nights in the casino. The dealers are friendly and the drinks come frequently enough.

Shuttle: We enjoyed walking most places, but we did catch the shuttle a few times. The shuttle drivers, as were most of the staff, were not the friendliest but the shuttle is never more than a few minutes away.

To summarize the trip, if I were going back to Atlantis, I would stay at either the Reef or the Cove. Would I go back? More than likely not. For active people, there is just not a ton to do while you are there. The prices on the resort didn’t bother me (though they are comical), but for people who live at the beach, there was not much to do or see. Just being at Atlantis is a sight all by itself and def. recommended for those with children age 8-15.

2 Thank Monacrh23
Seattle
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed labor day weekend 7 people ages 18-67 3 studio ocean view rooms. First i would like to thank all the other reviews that helped us make the most out of are 4 night stay i will list the tips that helped me the most.
fergies taxi service with 7 people one with a mobilty scooter we wanted to prebooks transport They were great $60 each way no deposit necessary they were waiting out side the airport with a singh with my name called my room on depart day to confirm pick up Sandra and her famliy run 5 vans and i cant say enough about how happy we were with them . just google it and email sandra it was really easy
Foodstore2go worked great there truck was delivering as we drove up we packed food and hard achol we tried to cover breakfast/lunch with packing and foodstore2go and went out for dinner everynight also packed a cooler this was great for the pool and beach even if you dont mind the cost of going out every meal its a time suck the resort food was good but slow you can spend alot of time in lines for breakfast and lunch
feed the fish at the beach lots of fun we just used pretzals we packed they will eat right out of your hand we packed snokel gear to avoid rentals
Go to the water park early and late this a great tip get there at 9:15 you can get a locker and get your chair and be at what ever slide you want when they open spend mid day at the beach and pool and go back at 4pm you can ride the tubes until 7pm
OK thanks for those tips here are some of the things we liked and might help you
Reef the rooms were nice a higher floor might be better but the veiw from the 6th floor was nice the rooms were clean good size and had everything you need i brought coffee and didnt need to housekeeping gave us extra no charge be carful not to leave the frige cabnit open when you leave the room it lets the fridge run better and froze are stuff . I know the reef is away from the main park but the beach and pool are not crowded which is nice the shuttles are great but would not let us take the mobilty scooter so we had to walk the park its a longway to the marina and the older parts are not easy to get around if you cant do stairs
dolphin cay if you do one thing during your stay are whole group would say do the sealion interaction its amazing bring your waterproof camera they will let you take your own pictures at the end we did the shollow water dolphins its avrage and dont belive the group size there were 15 in are group they still give you your time with the dolphin but what happend to 10 people there is a tip i can give you we did bolth the same day they let us buy a observer pass and use it for bolth sealion and dolphin and we bought the usb packege $170 but they let us have all the pictures for bolth interaction for that price which we thought was very fair
Shark walk i had a hard time finding out about this online but it was $115 per person its in the same tank as the leap of faith and you do get to be right up close to the sharks no cage i felt totaly safe and wow is that cool bring a camera that can go 25 feet deep mine was only 10 and had to leave it behind there are windows were family can take pictures
i bought the casino free play $50 gets you $100 in slot play this was a good deal it didnt work the first night they said they were having a system problem but called my room the next day to tell me it would work and it did you can pick the amount you want to us at each machine we won $125 on are $50 not bad
dinners were carmines great food look for the magician working the tables he is fun you may have to tip him to get him to your table deli was good food loved the pickles they bring to your table pizza was good to jonny rockets just ok food was a little pricy but we all know that. We did jokers wild $20 per person its a fun night
I know this was a long review but i hope it helps you have a great time like we did my last advice is plain your time well its a big place with lots to do know what you want to see and do before you get there to make the most of your time

6 Thank Andyandshauna
New Jersey
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Great service for arriving Atlantis guests who have a fridge in their room or maybe even some cooking facility. Our pre-ordered food arrived concurrent with us as they knew our flight info and timed their arrival perfectly to meet us. This is a great way to stock up for in-room meals, snacks, beverages and take a few breaks from the overpriced restaurants at Atlantis, esp. if you have children who get tired of restaurantrs after a while They used good judgment for substitutions when certain things we ordered off their website were unavaiable and were just so absolutely friendly and courteous when we called them several times in advance with questions. A big differenced maker in increasing our enjoyment factor for our visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank frequent_NJ_diner
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed at the Reed for 4 nights in August. I chose the Reef because I read that it was the newest with a private beach etc. The rooms are really, really nice, and the view to the beach priceless, The Reef as a whole, is much quieter than the other resorts, which is exactly what we wanted. And the beach is really lovely. But that's about it. All the rest was an area of frustration.
There is a shuttle bus to take you to the other Atlantis properties. But most of the times, it arrived already full, and so we had to wait for the next and the next if we didn't want to walk.
Three out of the four nights we had made dinner reservations. But even with this, we still had to wait to be seated. In one instance, at the Chop Stix restaurant, we had to wait 30 minutes, despite our reservation. And the food was really not worth it. The only place with really nice food was Mosaic (buffet) and the Courtyard Terrace (overpriced by nice).
As I already mentioned the beach was great. But they had all the beach chairs, brown soft ones, one next to the other in a really very noisy, crowded space. There were people that had their speakerphones with the ipods playing music in our ears! No respect, whatsoever. So we decided to move our beach chairs a bit further away. Immediately, staff personnel came and told us that these chairs were not to be moved and we could get some other plastic ones. We accepted the proposal and we took those. The next morning, we pull those same plastic ones away from the crowd and 3 people from the staff come and tell us we are not allowed to take chairs away from the designated area! We ask for the manager and one of them says he is the manager. I ask why, since the previous day we were allowed and he said because that area of the beach was in front of the beach cabanas and people might be disturbed!!!! I ask for a written copy of this rule and he says "you don't want to take it there!!!" At the same time another employee was pulling the chairs away, with our things on them! So we sat on the sand.
The next day, we were walking towards the water park, and we find ourselves in front of those same beach cabanas, that are for adults only, and we need to cross. A lady guard stops me and says I can't cross, just cross mind you, with my daughter because she is not 18. By then I was so fed up with all the don'ts that I just pulled my daughter and passed through.
This place is ridiculous. We paid a fortune for a 4 night stay, a bottle of water cost 7.50$ and dinner for 4 was never below 200$ and they treated us as kindergarden! I loved the beach, but we will never return to that place again. I don't go on vacation to have daily fights for ridiculous nonsense.
One thing really worth it, was the swimming with the dolphins experience. Unforgettable!

9 Thank alkimadrid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#4 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!