“Fabulous Resort, But Be Prepared For Sticker Shock”

Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed October 31, 2010

My husband had a two day seminar while I thoroughly enjoyed the resort. Friendly helpful staff, good service. We had a spacious recently renovated room in the reef wing of Coral Towers, overlooking the ocean with a terrace. As in previous reviews, the restaurants are extremely expensive & cost prohibitive including Johnny Rockets unless you like spending $14 - $18 for a burger. Every restaurant & bar already has a 15% gratuity added to the bill. My tips: We brought snacks from home/ cliff bars for breakfast or a breakfast sandwich at Starbucks in the Marina Village. I made coffee in the room one morning and was charged $3.25 (I thought that was included). For dinner - a giant slice of pizza ($7.50) at the Marina Pizzeria - it was the best! Another good deal is at the Blu Pool - lunch wrap with chips & beverage for $8. This is newest pool with DJ all afternoon. Sticker Shock : 1. One Time Bellman Gratuity $12. Even if you don't use a bellman at all. 2. daily maid gratuity $10. 3. Besides the various room taxes, there is a Utility Service Fee of $25.90 charged daily. Internet is $14.95/day, but you can use a computer in library for free for 15 minutes each day. The Lazy River is closed from late August to end of November, but The Current is a lot of fun - went around twice. The resort is fantastic, beautiful, loved the waterfalls, aquariums including the aquarium tunnel - really spectacular, but be more than prepared to spend a lot of money.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Kabear

Reviewed October 31, 2010

My boyfriend took me to the Atlantis for my 50th birthday. We were originally scheduled to stay at the Beach Towers, but upon arrival we noticed it wasn't a smoking room. Hotel staff couldn't have been any nicer. They asked if we wanted to check out a room at the Coral Towers since the Beach Tower smoking rooms were all reserved. We checked out the Coral and found the room to be larger and nicer. We stayed there. It was also closer to the casino which was great. Every morning we went to Starbucks in the Marina for coffee and breakfast and sat outside and people watched. One day we took the boat over to Nassua and did a little shopping. Nice day trip. Grounds are just beautiful at the Atlantis. I loved having a private balcony. The dining wasn't as expensive as we thought it would be. Most days we ate lunch at one of the pool restaurants where for $7.00 you could get a hamburger, french fries (best I've had) and a soda which was refillable. One night we ate at Johnnie Rockets and a couple nights at the deli in the Marina (I forget the name, but make sure you go there - the breakfast is awesome). It rained one day we were there, but we went to the library and used the computer and read magazines. Our maid was absolutely fantastic. The only problem we had was when we were traveling home. Our flight was delayed at the Bahama's airport, so we missed our connecting flight which meant it took us an extra 4 hours to get home. But all in all - what a fantastic time. We are planning on going back next year.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Atlantis' Coral Towers is a nice hotel, with incredible amenities. The ability to roll out of bed and see world class aquariums and then hit a fantastic water park is just hard to beat. The hotel staff is incredibly nice and accommodating as are the water park staff and the aquarium folks will spend as much time as it takes to answer all your questions. In fact, the highlight of our trip was following the guy who feeds the predators on his rounds. Feeding times are unlisted, but just ask anyone and don't miss them. Also, there's a booking agency in the main lobby that can help you set up off-campus trips, which I highly recommend.

However, the cost is just silly. We went when they offered free breakfast for four so at least we had that, but everything is just ridiculously over priced. It gets to the point where you dread meal time because you know its going to hurt. Even when you account for the fact that all those aquariums and slides are included in the room price, you still start to feel taken advantage of as everything is massively marked up. I read the reviews here and went prepared for high prices, but really, nothing can fully prepare you for the added costs.

As far as crowds, when we went, there just wasn't any. There were times when we practically had the place to ourselves.

One odd note, the internet was incredibly slow. It reminded me of the old 9600 baud days.

All-in-all, it was a very fun trip, and my 10 year old had an absolutely amazing time. I do recommend the experience, but I suggest waiting until you can get packages that include things like breakfast and other add-ons, and get off Paradise Island and go into town (which you should do anyway). Anything to take the sting out of the constant mugging you receive when you want to buy anything. It's like anything that's fun, but hurts. It's worth doing once, just to see.

Reviewed October 27, 2010

My husband & I visited the Coral Towers from 10/22/10-10/26/10 with our twin 6 year old daughters.
I must say that the resort itself is amazing and the attention to detail incredible. The marine habitats were beyond compare. It truly is a must-see. There was a nice variety of pools/waterslides with something for everyone. The casino was so-so and smoky considering the size; the slots were tight. The food was average at best and over-priced: lunch was $40-60 and dinner $100 and we didn't go to any over-the-top restaurants since they weren't kid-friendly. 15% gratuity is tacked on to everything. Maid service is included in the room fee. Movie theater was free for guests. Union taxi to/from airport = $32 each way + tip.
Now as far as the dolphin encounter - being able to kiss and hug a dolphin is something to be experienced, but not at the cost! We qualified for the 2 for 1 dolphin shallow water interaction but were unable to book the dolphin encounter until we arrived at the hotel. When we went to arrange a time and pay, it turned out the price was $130 per person ($114 online), then we were told that we only got 1 free encounter and not up to 2 free per room (as indicated on our terms & conditions that they would not honor since we did not book through Atlantis). We knew cameras were not allowed because the staff takes photos, but the photo packages were outrageously priced. $60 gets you one 8x10 and one 5x7, and the next package up was $149 that includes a CD and a few wallet size; the prices went up to $339. Since we wanted the CD, we opted for the $149 package. The actual time spent with the dolphin was less than 30 minutes and there were 8 in our group, so you can do the math. Total cost for our family of 4 dolphin encounter = $539 (w/1 free participant). We also opted for the sea lion tour which was $35 per person = $140 (add to dolphin = $679). This lasted about 45 minutes but 30-35 minutes involved a tour through the facilities including the lab where they do blood work, the freezer where the house the food, and the containers used to transport the sea lions & dolphins and were taught about the feeding schedules, the vitamins/supplements they give, etc. The time with the sea lion was about 10 minutes for the 4 of us - the interaction consisted of holding the sea lion's flipper to "shake hands" and a pose with him kissing each of us on the cheek. I guess we should be happy that they included these photos for "free" on our CD and they even threw in 2 5x7s since we spent $149 on the photo package earlier in the day.
Overall nice resort, but not worth the $ for the marine life encounters.

Reviewed October 24, 2010

be forewarned, this is long...
My husband, son and I traveled to the Atlantis from October 16-20th. We went to the Atlantis Resort to celebrate my son's 12th birthday. This was my 14th trip to the Atlantis so I knew what to expect as far as prices go. We have stayed in almost every category Atlantis offers and have often been lucky enough to receive an upgrade. This was an extra vacation for my family and I and with that said we chose the lowest price room category in the Beach Club. After booking Atlantis offered several better deals so after many phone calls we secured a water view room in the Beach Tower along with the free breakfast. When we arrived at the Resort we requested an upgrade and offered some $ as an incentive. Our request was honored and we were pleasantly surprised when we were upgraded to a 1 bedroom Regal Suite in the Coral Tower. We were told our room was not ready and we should come back around 3:00 PM. We stored our luggage and went to the pool to have some lunch. We came back at 3:00 PM and our room was ready. The room had a spectacular view and was very quiet we loved the extra space and the second bedroom. The room itself was pretty outdated. Housekeeping needs improvement. Even after tipping her we would have to beg for towels and shampoo.

We quickly changed and went to the pool and enjoyed our first day. Upon returning to the room we found that several of the lights weren't working, toilets running, the sliding glass door in the master bedroom came off the track and wouldn't close and the TV in the master bedroom wouldn't turn on. They came and fixed the door the first day and scheduled someone to fix the remainder of our problems the following morning.

Day 2
Woke up, read my book on the balcony and off to the Market Place for breakfast. My son and I returned to the room to pick up a football to play in the pool. When we returned we found our room had been left open by the maintenance person. We asked housekeeping if they knew why the room was left open and they said maintenance had been in our room and they had left it that way. I was concerned to enter the room and asked my son to remain outside and go for help if I needed it. The room was empty and all the issues were resolved but I really felt Atlantis had put my personal safety and possessions at risk with the behavior of their maintenance staff. I stopped at Guest Services and explained to the front desk associate what had happened. He seemed very concerned and offered to run security tapes to make sure that nothing had been removed from my room. (keep in mind if it was in someone's pocket we wouldn't know..) I thought this was a nice gesture and he assured me he would contact me later in the day. We came back around 6:00 PM and there weren't any messages regarding the incident. We stopped at Guest Services on our way to dinner and when we explained what happened to the person there she said they don't offer that kind of service and he should have never told me he would do that. No- I'm sorry for the problem, No mention of speaking with the management of the Maintenance team etc. Very poor experience.. We put the issue aside an enjoyed the rest of our vacation.

Day 3 & 4 much of the same, breakfast, pool& or Cove Beach (so beautiful), showers, dinner a small deposit at the Casino (one return). and bed.. All this fun can be exhausting.

The Blue pool at the Coral Tower was open while we were there, kudos to Atlantis. The pool loungers and tables were all very nice and the whole area is much improved. It was very quiet unlike the Royal Tower pools. We spent the majority of our time at the aquaventure and had a great time. My only disappointment is the conveyor to the Power Tower was closed again. There were virtually no crowds to speak of but walking up the stairs to the Abyss is getting to be a challenge at my age. The weather was spectacular all week. We had a short rain shower on the morning of the 19th but the sun was out by breakfast. We also made use of the Library each day to use the computer and to pick up a copy of the daily puzzler.

The breakfast buffet at the Market Place is terrific. We hardly ever felt hungry till dinner. We ate at the following restaurants.

Johnny Rockets-First night. Basic food. Fun atmosphere for my son. We felt very rushed. It was a Saturday night and I got the impression they host a lot of children's birthday parties here. I would return but not on a weekend.

The Pointe. Nice location. Good food. My son loved the pizza. We had the restaurant almost to ourselves. They were nice enough to put the Phillies game on for us. About $80 for food and drinks for three.

The GrayCliff Steak House- Service and Meal Outstanding. Kudos to the management. We asked them to call the taxi driver who had dropped us off. He promised to be there in 15 minutes. The manager stayed outside with us for almost a 1/2 hour, when the taxi driver didn't show up he called their house driver to pick us up. The driver made a stop at the Hardrock Cafe so my son could buy a shirt. He was friendly and the car (a nice white limo) was clean. (About $160 for food and drinks)

The Bahamian Club- Yes finally my favorite restaurant. Yes this is an expensive meal but so worth it. We normally have the mixed grill but my hubby really wanted the Chateaubriand for two, my son had the Petite Filet/Roasted Potatoes. We all had Caesar Salad and split the Seafood St. Jacques. When confirming our reservation I told them we were there to celebrate my sons birthday. When they brought our crème brulee and his Chocolate Lava Cake they put a candle in the cake and sang happy birthday. Our only disappointment was the amount of babies that were at the restaurant that night. Crying babies and a $350 dinner to me just don't mix. Forgive me but we never took my son to a fancy restaurant at that age. For that matter, we never took him to Atlantis at that age. We went by ourselves. Enough said.

Some items for your FYI, Atlantis is building a Teen Club in the Basement of the Coral Tower. It looks like it is going to be a lot of fun. Most of the areas in the Beach Club were closed. My son went to the early hours of Club Rush and had a good time but at age 12 he wished he could have gone to the later hours. If you have the chance go to the Sting Ray and Turtle feedings. We really enjoyed this and it's free.

The Sports (Betting area) Bar in the Casino has nice seating and many TV's. We watched the first half of the Steelers game and enjoyed free drinks while we were there. Tip your server well and she will remember you.

Day 5
On our last day we finished packing for our trip home, ate breakfast at the MarketPlace and headed to the Airport for our return home. We love Atlantis and it's close proximity to the East Coast and will go back but I have learned my lesson, next year we will stay at either the Cove or the Reef.

1  Thank Squan66
Reviewed October 20, 2010

My review is based on a "Story" written for myself and friends and to include tips I used and wanted to remember if I return, the end section also include Nassau scuba diving notes:

I liked Airtran and our flight to Nassau was easy and nice. Like some reviewers I also do not recommend the Dan Knowles shuttle. It may have just been bad timing but we had to wait over 30 minutes at airport, 15 minutes or more just standing, waiting. Then we sat on the bus. I was just about to get off and go find a taxi when we finally left. It was Columbus Day(Discovery Day) and all the locals were on the beaches along our route, making for some slow downs. It was an hour or more to get to the hotel from our first contact with a Dan Knowles rep. I felt that was very poor and not worth it.

Being prepared for high food and drink prices after reading Tripadvisor reviews, Kaye and I made out well and really liked Atlantis. There are a few grumps like anywhere but most of the employees and most Bahamians seem very happy, nice and helpful. Taking oatmeal, tea and hot chocolwasate, knowing the inexpensive eateries and where the free internet was(in the library just down the hall from us) saved us lots of money. I also found the liquor store(closed our first afternoon because of the holiday) where I could get up to 3 beers for just under the price of one beer at the resort.

It is also nice to visit an island where American English is spoken and very understandable. The 1 to one dollar exchange rate is also an easement.

We were only partially lucky on weather - very lucky the last full day. The first 2 days I went diving, the best weather I was away. Kaye used the time to explore the resort and had some fun catching a sting ray feeding, seeing big nurse sharks and big sea turtles. The first afternoon she showed me those things by our room and we got to see a turtle feeding - huge turtles climbing all over themselves to feed. We spent time walking through Predator tunnel - a huge pool with viewing windows and a glass domed walk through - sharks of various types, schools of large fish, sawfish and 2 of the largest groupers I have ever seen. Kaye and I still got in some fun experiencing The Current our first afternoon before a very rainy late afternoon and evening. We had to wait for a rain break before we could dash to the Marina Pizzeria for our evening meal. The secons afternoon we got caught by rain but really enjoyed exploring the rest of the resort and Royal Towers where there are biga aquariums - really huge pools, with windows - in the lobby and behind that is the "underground" - The Dig . The Dig has beautiful views into the pools, exhibits and fantastic displays of jelly fish, lobsters, green morays, huge groupers. colorful fish and schooling fish.

A tropical depression formed in the Yucatan ans sent bands of rain across Florida and the Bahamas and ended up near Cuba, but fortunately it did not develop into a hurricane - especially since it's projected course included the Bahamas - it stalled and feel apart but was the cause of the rains we had. So we were lucky to dodge a hurricane and got decent weather when we needed it.

The last full day(no diving) Kaye and I got out right around water park start time at 10 AM and we rode until almost 2 PM with just a lunch break before we felt it was time to quit and get out of the sun. We had mostly sunshine. As soon as we quit the clouds and rain started. We barely got back to our room before the rest of the afternoon turned dark with some very heavy rain periods. While we were out we also walked to the far end of the resort. If you don't want the water park, Atlantis seems to have plenty of sandy beaches and "hidden" pools with plenty of room to find a place to enjoy a quiet atmosphere or a "party" atmosphere. A huge, excellent, fun resort. Bautiful pools, landscaping, waterfall, beaches, aquariums and marine life everywhere.

The water slides and rivers are excellent, high tech wonders. The Current is the best tubing river ever - pretty wild in some places but well designed to prevent you from hitting your head or getting jerked around too much. The current has two story double rapids, rapids through caves and under bridges, a long curving canyon swept by a wave every 20-30 seconds, and a two lane converyor system that lifts people in their tubes to the top of the rapids. If that's not enough, you can walk up into the Power Tower with your tube to do The Drop or The Falls that feed you back through rapids int the main Current again. I only tried The Falls but it was well done too, nothing to strenuous, but I scooted my but a little too much on the conveyor - The Falls starts with a small 3 foot convyer hump that you can't see over - then it shoots you with water and fast conveyors over a 2 hump roller coaster and into a dark tunnel, then ermerging into rapids connectiong to the main current. The Current was our favorite and we spent most of our time on that ride.

The other rides I tried were also not too aggressive The timed twin racing speed slides were did not seem as extreme as some others I have been on - fairly fast but not overly steep or long. I liked the long tube ride through a tunnel with low blue light(only a few brief all dark turns) and then into a large plexiglass rectangluar tunnel that ran through an aquarium before a short drop into the exit pool. Kaye didn't like it because of the enclosure. There were lots of small slides, mostly for kids. The biggest one I had to push off to prevent getting stuck part way down. Lots of waterfalls and caves and coves in the pool you play in, walk behind or sit in.

We were reserved for a room in Beach Tower but even by mid-afternoon the day we checked in, and a very large group finishing and checking out, they did not have a non-smoking room available yet so we got a Coral Towers room. Coral Towers is "older" like Beach Tower but a little closer to the main resort and maybe a slightly better room. A ground floo garden view room - very nice king size bed with plush soft pillows and bedding, a wide screen TV, coffee pod maker and a fridge with enough room to chill a few of our own drinks.

Maybe part of the reson we got a special was that the lazy river and pools and one water slide at Beach and Coral Towers were closed the entire time we were there. We enjoyed the other rides so much and the lazy river looked maybe too lazy that we didn't feel like we missed anything.

Our last full day we found out some cruisers were enjoying the resort and rides as a day pass from their ships.

You can spend many hours just exploring the resort's beaches, pools, marine life, aquariums, The Dig, and watching feedings. I notice they also had a free theatre with recent movies but we never tried that. A great resort. A fairly expensive resort. A huge resort, but still I didn't feel like it took that long to walk anywhere we aantd to go especially with so much to see. There are plenty of places to get away for the type of beah, pool, resort or water park exeperience you would like. Most of the time the resort did not seem crowded. The casino and Royal Towers lobby area were very crowded and busy the one time we walked thoguh. Atlantis has one of the best abd biggest fitness centers I have seen - as good or better than cruise ships but was too expensive for us at $ 15/person per day - discounts for multiple day passes.

Bahamas divng was just OK, and probably at the bottom of my Carbbean list so far - after Curacao. My first day was fine, but pretty tame and shallow compared to Cozumel. The second day was pretty much a bust for me due to leaking masks, low viz and almost boring dives and I was getting fed up with it - uncomfortable and bored, just wanting to get out and get dry after the second dive.

The first dive, the first day we dived The La Salle wreck. It was a smallish steel ship in about 60 feet of water. They were only allowing us 30 minutes - more than enough for a leisurely swim around it. I think the dive leader mis-read my wrist computer - thining 45 minues was my bottom time instead of No Deco time remaining and sent me up after about only 20 minutes. I liked the dive, decent visibility, but there was not much color and not the abundant marine growth like I have seen on the Yukon. I felt it was too short. I guess to save having to do a long surface interval this dive was short, and they took us next Fish Hotel, which is only 35 feet deep max. I enjoyed being mostly with the dive leader and camera man for most of the dive, playing with a gray spotted moray, and checking out a turtle, big lobster and nurse shark under ledges. The turtle eventually popped out and took off swimming faster than I knew a turtle could go. The reef was too typical, not a lot of variety or a large amount of fish, so although it was an interesting and nice dive. I prefer refs in others areas a lot more.

The second dive day, especially dive 2 was ruined with leaky masks and more mostly uninspiring diving, compunded with relatively low viz for the Caribbean. I was very interested in our first dive - The Lost Blue Hole. The previous day my better mask sealant seemed to work great. It was probably a mistake to ty to use the remnants of a poorer sealant from a lip balm style tube and not shaving the are of my moustache smooth again that morning. I immediately had too much mask flooding and couldn't seem to get it, so I surfaced as the divers were approaching the edge of the hole to drop off. I singaled mask problem and they gave me one of theirs and I caught up to the group with the trailing camera man. Their mask seemed Ok on that dive. The dive turned out to be not very interesting. Lower than expected viz - maybe 60 feet so we couldn't see to the other side or into the middle where sharks might have been abd below was just a dark, almosr cave like experience. I did hit my deepest dive ever - joining the group quickly at 120 feet, but then I soon started trying to ease up some to save air and not be so deep. The walls were steep even sloping in away from us, but there was very little marine growth or fish and some sediment washing around, so there wasn't that much to see. I guess their heas start used up a lot more air and I think I was only in 15-20 minutes when they topped out of the hole again to swim over to the boat and surface. A bit of a shrt dive. I was glad I had a chance to cath up to it, but I was underwhelmed by it.

The second dive at East End Reef was realy a challenge for me to stay with. Their mask leaked enough that I had to clear it a lot, water got in my eyes so I couldn't see very well most of the dive and the mask water seemed to be causing me a really snotty nose and getting in my sinuses and I had to pee and felt the dive was boring. East End reef is really shallow. I don't think I even hit 20 feet. That made it a little hard to stay down with 12 lbs - two divers behind me had to cancel for lack of weights they coudln't stay down. I did over 50 minutes with the dive leader camera man and a diver from Switzerland and a diver from Scotland. Just not that colorful or different or interesting fish and marine life. I felt that was enough Bahamas diving for me for quite some time or maybe not again. The visibility was only about 40-50 feet. I guess it was about on par but still even slightly below Playa Del Carmen ocean diving. I still felt the stuff I saw at Playa Del Carmen was a little more unique, fun and interesting than the shallow Nassau reefs.

I like a Bahama beer - Strong Back Stout. A dark beernot too hoppy and decent flavor.

Great trip from Atlanta to Atlantis and back. I think a few days 3-5 at Atlantis can be fun any time if you get good weather. I am not in any hurry to get back to Nassau for diving.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard M
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Stayed here for a conference. This is an absolutely average hotel. Staff are mostly friendly and politte. Coral rooms are average at best - a bit tired. The food is sub par with NY city 5-star prices. I mean, $7 for a slice of bad pizza and $10 for a take-out salad with rotten tomatoes? Add to the prices an additional gratuity of 15% automatically charged on every food bill.

But, the kicker is that Atantis charges for goods and services never rendered...Automatic gratuity charges for bellman of $6 (I carried my own bag from the taxi to the rm), $5 per day for room cleaning (when on business, I never have my room cleaned as I keep out work files, etc.) , $1.6 per day for pool service (never even went to the pool deck). When I asked about these at the front desk, I was told these charges could not be removed. How's that for customer service?

Don't waste your money here. There are lots of other resorts with better everything for the same or less money. I will not return for business and certainly not with my family.

Long live a free internet!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!