“Beautiful, but ridiculously overpriced”

Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful, but ridiculously overpriced”
Reviewed February 17, 2010

Let me start by saying I have been to Atlantis for the day via Disney Cruise Lines and absolutely love the property. I have been to the Bahamas many times and this was our first time staying at the Atlantis. We stayed at Coral Towers, which is an older building but well maintained. The rooms were very spacious and very clean. CT is in a good location for the restaurants our our dining package.......Carmines, Bimini Island and Chop Stix. The map makes the property look huge, but the walk is very managable. The walk from our hotel to Dolphin Cay was only about 10 minutes.
The prices of food and drinks is ridiculous! We had the 3 day meal plan which includes breakfast and dinner (no lunch). The average prices on the meal for an entree is about 45.00. Apps about 15-20.00, dessert 8-15.00. A soda is 4.00, bottled water is 3.75 and beer is 7.50. If you go for the fruity drinks, 10.75. A cheeseburger, 9.00. Get the picture? Get the meal plan...........it's still pricey, but it includes and app, entree and dessert.
The downside is that the rooms should have a fridge. There is a mini bar fridge, but there is no room for bottles of water or food. If you go to Carmines you will have tons of left overs. If you venture off property you can load up on water/soda for a cheaper price.
The experience was good, I would go back, but certainly not on a prime weekend (president's day weekend)........room rates were jacked up about 100.00 extra per night. If you are looking to go somewhere inexpensive, this is definitely not the place!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank kberg65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Turkish first
US
Reviewed February 12, 2010

After staying at Atlantis myself for 5 days, I have to say that I disagree with many of the bad reviews on Atlantis. I didn't find the food prices to be all that unreasonable. For lunch you can get a burger, fries and soda for $8 (gratuity included in that price). How is that unreasonable? Is it gourmet food? No, but it was plenty to eat, and cheap. Another day I had a $10 wrap for lunch, that could have easily fed 2 people. We ate dinner at the Atlas Bar and Grill - 2 peoples dinner and a glass of wine for each was just over $40. Dinner at Anthony's was also good - we split an appetizer and split a seafood pasta dish, with 2 drinks for under $50. Don't be scared into thinking all of the food at Atlantis costs $60 a plate, because it doesn't. You can make it as expensive or inexpensive as you want.

The pools and waterslides were amazing, and all working except for the Goombay Waterslide, which didn't look all that exciting to being with. The water was warm enough, and we never had to wait to get on a slide or tube. My only complaint is that they all closed at 5pm. I wish at least 1 pool or the hot tub would have been open in the evening.

The Coral Tower hotel room was nice enough. We had a great view of the ocen and grounds from the 5th floor. The room was nothing fancy, but it did have a flat screen, and the beds were comfortable.

We found the staff to be friendly, but not overly-attentive. We weren't asked even once about a timeshare, and were only asked once about having our hair braided. We said no thanks, and that was it, unlike other Caribbean destinations where I have been hounded for 15 minutes when they wouldn't take no for an answer.

The only other complaint I have is the lack of nightlife. Besides the casino or going to the movie theather, there wasn't anything else to do. Most nights we ate dinner, walked around the grounds a little bit, and then went back to our room and watched tv. They have 1 night club, but its only open a few nights a week.

Overall, we loved the resort, and found it to be reasonable. We weren't charged any additional fees other than the fees and gratuities that were paid when we booked the room - no other hidden charges. If you want the resort to be pretty kid-free, I would recommend going the week before a school break, like we did. We barely saw any children, and the resort itself wasn't that busy either.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank ndzuba
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Atlantis was nice, I am not sure it is worth the money, unless you are traveling with a larger group (I was only with my wife).

THE GOOD:
The best thing about Atlantis is the water parks, pools, and aquariums: all which are free with room (I believe up to 4 people per room).

1) The slides were awesome, clever, had many things that I have never seen before, and I have been to many water parks. They were great.

2) The aquariums were also impressive. I didnt think I would care to much about the aquariums because I went to bahamas for the sun. Anyway, these were very impressive and were very enjoyable (make sure you go into "the Dig" aquarium)

3) finally, the pools and beaches were great. They had something for everyone, I do not know how many pools they had, at least 5 big ones. There was a man-made lagoon with many beaches, and they you had a very long ocean beach. All were really nice. The only complaint is that there were NO HOT TUBS! They had "hot tubs" - I found 3 of them, but none of them were HOT the entire time I was there. All very cold.

The property in general was really nicely designed and decorated. You got lost on the sidewalks, which was enjoyable, there were waterfalls and caves everywhere. The hotel lobby was pretty good. From the coral towers, you could access the casino and other hotel lobbies which were decorated very nicely. Nice/clean bathrooms all over the place, etc.

The BAD: okay, here are my complaints:
1) from above: no hot tubs

2) poor service. Maybe this is just the laid back culture of the Bahamas, but as an american, I am not used to this. Also, this is probably also related to the fact that there is a mandatory 15% tip added to all food and beverage purchases (even at the Jamba Juice shop). This was annoying, because it did not encourage the employees to try to work for tips. Other than the food service, other service was pretty bad. About 80% of the time, when I showed up for service at a desk or cabana, the worker was off talking to some other worker, on the phone, generally not really caring about working. This was annoying

3) cost: I do not think atlantis is worth the cost. Especially if you are only a couple traveling. If you are with a family with kids. The included water park might be worth it. Then again, maybe not because all the food options all over are really expensive. Also, there is no alternative to cheaper food within walking distance from the hotel, other than a Quiznos. The small grocery across the street is also overpriced. And, unlike some of the other reviews on here said, the restaurant across the street is just as expensive as eating at Atlantis, not cheaper, and the service there is just as bad, if not worse.

I waited 40 minutes for a tour to start
I did not get a king bed, only a double room

a person that I met there was complaining that this place was not as good as Disney because there were small pieces of trash on the ground, and that there were many dirty towels laying around the pools. This did not bother me that much.

Other tips:
If you wanted to go here. I would actually recommend staying at the Comfort Suites across the street. It is a place to sleep, plus with the price of the Hotel room, you get full access to Atlantis.

if you stay at Coral Towers (or comfort suites) here is what is free with your room:
access to water parks, pools, beaches, aquariums, discover atlantis tour of "the Dig"
not free: food, swim with dolphins, water-sports, drinks

I would recommend going to the Royal Towers for service (Discover atlantis tour), etc. It seems like they treat you better over there, plus it looks nicer.

Also, there is some condos on the Atlantis property called "the cove" It is on the complete other end from the Coral towers. Anyway, they have a nice adult only pool over there. however, you have to sneak in to it, because it is only for The Cove guests.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I went to the bahamas with my boyfriend and his aunt and 2 cousins. We arranged for roundtrip transfers to and from the resort, which i highly recommend. It is about a 1/2 hour trip from the airport to the resort. Our driver seemed to be more cautious of a driver than i expected, since many reviews said otherwise. So that was a nice surprise.

When we arrived at the hotel, we originally were booked to stay at the Beach Tower, which is right next door to the Coral Tower. We were immediately upgraded to the Coral Tower, so I can't say for sure if it was a quality upgrade, but I do know that it is less expensive to stay at the Beach Tower. We each had a balcony with our room that overlooked the grounds. Given the location of the tower, there really wasn't too much of a view otherwise. Our room happened to be very spacious, while my boyfriend's cousins' room was much smaller. The room and bathroom were very clean, and the bathroom had really nice lighting. Great for those ladies that like to see how much makeup they put on, rather than putting it on with "mood lighting". So plus for that. No need to bring your own hairdryer, as it was actually adequate, given that mine is a higher wattage.

The grounds were beautiful! The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We had no complaints. They do have staff that are there to get you to buy their timeshares/buy condos, but they didn't seem too pushy, but just know they are not afraid to approach you, either.

All of the reviews are true with regards to the food being super expensive. Be prepared to spend $$$$! The food was fantastic everywhere we went. Don't expect to spend less than $45/person for fine dining dinners - and that is without alcohol. Sodas are about $3 at the bar (without tip), and a mixed drink can cost more than $10, depending where you go, and the size of the glass isn't that big. I brought my own liquor, which cut down my costs tremendously. I am on a gluten free diet (intolerance, not allergy), and there was really only one restaurant that wasn't gluten free friendly, so don't worry about not being able to eat. If you are truly allergic to gluten, I would let the resort know in advance. They seem very accomodating. We went to the Atlas Bar and Grill our first day for a late lunch, and they had huge portions for everything. I would recommend sharing if you don't eat a lot. We ate at the deli for breakfast a couple of times - expensive, but good. The other two mornings we had breakfast in the lobby of the Coral Tower (continental breakfast). Fruit, yogurt and a bagel cost $20. Not kidding. We went to Nobu one night for dinner. FANTASTIC food. VERY EXPENSIVE for the amount of food you get, but hey, we were on vacation... Also, they have wheat free soy sauce. It just tastes a little saltier than regular soy sauce.... Another night we went to the fine dining Italian restaurant. Again, FANTASTIC food, but expensive. Our last night we went to the buffet in the Royal Tower. $47/person (without alcohol), but the food was really good, and there was a great selection.

As for activities, there are so many! For kids, they seem to have really great programs, and they have different age groups. Very kid friendly place. Surprisingly, there were kids all over the resort, but we weren't bothered by them as adults on vacation. We did the shallow water dolphin interaction, and it was fantastic. Really recommended. We got a package deal for the pictures that they take of you with the dolphins. Not too bad of a deal, but if you're willing to spend the $, do it! As for the fitness center, it costs $ to use. I was originally stressed about that, but given how huge the resort is, you can get enough of a workout walking/jogging around the resort or up and down the beach. So i did that. We went downtown (in Nassau) for 1/2 day to go shopping. It costs $4/person each way by taxi. No big deal. Just make sure you find out the price before taking the taxi. If you have time, go downtown... they have a ton of shopping, restaurants, liquor stores (duty free), bars, etc. There is a Bacardi store that sells bacardi for REALLY cheap. I feel like I'm subliminally slipping in the alcohol issue. I am truly not an alcoholic, but if you are a party-type person or enjoy more than a couple of beverages, really, bring your own if you're not up for spending the $.

We also went to the comedy club one night. So much fun. It was $20/person and no drink minimum. Worth the money to go.

It was the perfect vacation. I would recommend this resort for those that have the $ to spend, however, for myself, I prefer all-inclusives.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank mssnappy1972
England
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Our sons stayed at the Coral Towers for ten days over the Christmas period and were aware that they had to leave valuables in the room safe. However, the one time that they left them there for one morning when they went to the pool, housekeeping must have gone in and when they returned - $500.00 was stolen from one wallet and $200.00 from the other. They say they have looked into this but there was a specific time that only someone could have entered the room. I would not reccommend this hotel. Service charge is 15% compulsory - v. expensive, but they still expect tipping.
V. disappointed. Would not go back.

• Stayed December 2009
St.Louis, MO
Reviewed January 25, 2010

We stayed 4 nights in the Coral Towers at Atlantis Jan 18-22nd, and overall loved the place. The room was quite nice, recently rennovated, and had a comfortable bed. The AC was not cooling when we checked in, but was quickly fixed/cooling after 1 call to front desk within 1hr. I found the staff everywhere to be quite friendly, helpful, and courteous. Many went out of their way to greet us, and most everyone on the Island (even the taxi drivers) were genuinely nice and courteous to us. The hotel and the grounds are absolutely incredible, and definitely something to see and experience. The aquariums, pool areas/aquaventure park and beaches are beyond description, and exceeded my expectations, it was the highlight of the whole trip, and where we spent most of our time.

If you love to visit water parks and aquariums, this place is definitely for you. Yes the rooms/rates are kind of expensive, but the water park and all the aquarium exhibits are all included, as well as beach access/lounge use. The restuarants on the property are all very good, but expensive. We purchased the casual meal plan which I would recommend if you want to eat all your meals on the property. All the restaurants I visited came with huge portions, enough for 2 or more adults, so they can be easily shared. My favorite place was Carmines: great italian family style food, and gigantic portions to share with 3-5 people. Breakfasts were all eaten at the Marketplace buffet which was really quite good, on the level of any in Las Vegas. we brought snacks for any lunchtime/afternoon hunger, but with a big breakfast and dinner, not much was eaten in between.

The gym and spa are really nice, but at an additional cost. Had a massage one day which was at the Mandara spa for an advertised special in the daily newsletter for $89 plus 20% tip ($108 or so) which included a gym pass and spa pass for the whole day, which was great.

My only complaint is the minimum amount of night life on the property. The only things I could find to do at night was play in the casino, watch a movie at the theatre (which is free), walk around the grounds/aquariums/beach, or sit in a lounge/bar area. No real shows, no danceclub during the week till thurs night-sunday night. I hope Atlantis can improve on the nightlife scene, and more entertainment.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dad22dogs
Detroit, MI
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I recently attended a conference at the Atlantis and stayed at the Coral tower. I found the rooms to be clean and updated although a little on the small side. My advice would be to ask for a water view with a balcony at check in. I did and the staff was happy to help. I have read other peoples comments about the price and they are correct that everything is expensive at the resort. While you do start to feel like you are be taken advantage of after awhile, if you go expecting things to be expensive it won't be such a shock. My advice would be to walk just off the grounds to the local market and you can pick up some groceries to save a little money.
The waterpark is amazing and if you like to spend your vacation by the pool you will really enjoy what the resort has to offer. I had noticed previous posters had said the resort was very crowded and it was difficult to find a spot by the pools, but I didn't have the same experience at all. I'm not sure if it was just the off season, but there were plenty of great spots by the pool and the temp was 75-80 degrees every day. My wife also decided to do the deep water dolphin encounter which was really cool. It was expensive ($190) but she got to keep her snorkel gear and we go some really good pictures.
All in all the resort is amazing but expensive. I don't regret our stay, but next time I will probably opt for the quieter and more economical resort.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!