“The Budget Conscious need stay away”

Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
dtw
“The Budget Conscious need stay away”
Reviewed April 29, 2009

Thank God I was on a business trip so my room and meals were paid for. Me and my husband would have been upset if we paid for anything out of pocket. We got a group rate but the hotel taxes and gratuities were nearly $100 a day.

It is the perfect getaway for families but honeymooners beware. Unless you stay at a higher end tower like The Cove get ready for annoying kids. Parents allow them to run freely. The Cove is an adult only hotel and unless you're staying there you won't be allowed to enter the pool area or go beyond the lobby. Even their lounge is private. I would definitely stay there if I ever return.

The food is overpriced but Carmines is worth every penny. They serve all the dishes family style so they can be shared. Our group of 7 ordered two appetizers, one salad and two entrees and we had food leftover. Beware you will need a reservation on weekends but you need to be a party over six to make one. We also ate at the pizza parlor and that too was affordable. A whole pizza fed the two of us for $25. We also ventured over to Anthony's for breakfast. It was nothing to write home about but it was diner pricing.

The slides and lazy river were a blast and the grounds are awesome. Once you leave the resort however you are in a for a rude awakening. The taxi driver tried to stiff us and the Fish Fry area recommended in other reviews was a disappointment.

I wouldn't suggest this hotel to anyone on a budget.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank leondrataylor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Turkish first
CONNECTICUT
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We LOVE the Coral Towers at Atlantis! We have visited 2-3 times a year since 2002. The guest services staff at The Coral Towers can't be beat! They go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect and are always willing to help if needed. The "Atlanteans" are a wonderful group of people who make sure your kids have lots of fun at Club Rush, The Speedway, Movie Theater, special events & more. Blue Adventures is awesome to say the least! Our now 14 year old daughter began scuba diving in the pool at Atlantis when she was 8 and is now a certified diver who dives in the lagoon at Atlantis and goes on an ocean dive off Atlantis' boat during each trip. Even though she is the only diver in our family we feel completely comfortable having her dive with the supervision of the Blue Adventure staff. The casino is beautiful and very comfortable. Again, here the staff is very friendly & accomodating, with the slot attendants being the best I've ever met! I wish the slots paid out a little more, but hey, who doesn't? The comps offered by the casino could be a bit better in my opinion but again, who doesn't want a little more? The water attractions here can't be beat! Our 3 year old loves looking at the sea life and participating in the Aqua Tots program. We had a hard time pulling her out of the kids pool/playscape area-she LOVED it! The whole family has a great time in the bigger pools, slides and lazy rivers. Atlantis is a place you never get bored at, as a matter of fact there is so much to do it is hard to fit it all in in one week! Most of the food at Atlantis is expensive but you can find some bargains if you look. The pool area dining options usually offer a value menu. For example at one you could get a wrap, chips & drink for $8.00. Take out at Murray's can be a less expensive option as well as Marina Pizza or Anthony's & Quizno's across the street. One note of caution---many times WHERE you buy the food determines the price rather than WHAT you buy. For example--a small container of fruit salad purchased at the lobby bar in The Coral Towers was $7.50. The EXACT same container purchased at Murray's was $4.50. The same holds true for brownies, sandwiches & soda--look before you buy! The higher priced restaurants like Seafire & Carmines offer some of the best food on the island! Although a bit pricey we feel you get what you pay for. You don't mind paying more when you know the food is going to be excellent. Atlantis can't be beat for the best family vacation ever! There is something there for everyone to enjoy!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank IMLISA
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2009

First of all, I'd like to say that I read all the Trip Advisor reviews regarding the Coral Towers before I left for the Bahamas and I got pretty spooked by the negative reviews. Complaints of bad service were unfounded, I found most of the staff there were pretty friendly. If I couldn't get someone to help me with something, I just went to the next employee, there were alot of people working there! Inflated prices of the food were true but I don't plan on living at this resort, so paying $4 for a hot dog or $8 for a salad was no big deal.

We stayed there for a week in February 2009. We had a total of 18 people, 10 kids and 8 adults. We were also there for a dental course, so we got a very good deal on our rooms. Otherwise, I would not go, or wait for a sale.

The rooms were very clean but it does need some upgrading, tiles were loose, wallpaper was starting to strip off... We got our room upgrade to a water view room for free, so the kids were estactic about being right above the Stingray Lagoon (which, up close, was getting a bit old and stinky!).

My husband did not like the extra charges they tack on every night, he was fine with the taxes and all but an ENERGY fee?? It was $30/day. We sucked it up and went on with our lives.

Oh yeah, hubby got to go golfing at the Ocean Club for a few rounds and said that you couldn't drive your cart off the cart paths, so be prepared for that!

I would recommend making reservations for dinner well in advance. Most restaurants are fully booked. The only thing I don't like about the whole reservation system is that the people at the hotel does not take responsibilty for any of their "lost" reservations. I had to check every morning to make sure I had reservations for dinner or else I would be eating at the Marina Pizzeria every night (which was very good by the way!)

I recommend the Water's Edge for the buffet breakfast. It was very good at a very decent price and on the way out to the pools and the beach. We also ate at the Marketplace a few times (no reservations needed), very Vegas-like buffet! Also a must is Carmines.

We spent most of our days at the kiddie pool. It's pretty central, very close to the water slides and the dolphin cay. What I don't like about the pools here is that people would go there at 9 in the morning to put a towel or a book to hog the lounge chairs and then they don't show up until well after lunch. There should a resort rule about that. We had to either pay a waiter to get us chairs or we would "steal" a couple by throwing their towels away. Other than that, my kids really liked this pool, it was like a huge playground in water.

We didn't spend too much time at the beach, it was very windy the entire time we were there and the sand was not raked for tree branches. Some of the guests here were just slobs, unlimited amount of towels are provided, but to leave it on the beach by the water is just rude! There are bins people!

Overall, this trip was very memorable, and we left very happy, well-rested and sunburned! And yes, our girls did get vacation braids!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank caliprincess88
Jersey
Reviewed April 16, 2009

I sayed at the Atlantis Coral Towers in July of 2007. I stayed with my family, including two teenagers. First, I'd like to talk about how much there is for stuff to do ! Children and adults alike, there is so much for everyone to do. My family did the shallow water interaction and it was definitely something to remember. The Dolphin Cay was clean and it was a beautiful open space for the dolphin habitat. Second, many reviews talk about the expenses. Yes, I completely agree that this is a resort that you will have to spend money at! If you are looking for a caribbean vacation that isn't so expensive, but still enjoyable, Atlantis may not be the place for you. When you arrive here, you will have to bring out the wallet. And when I say this, I mean it. Food is expensive, but this is a top resort and it has this reputation. I watched a top island show and Atlantis placed in the top 10! This is definitely an island that you have to experience. Staff is very friendly along with good dining and activities. I will definitely visit again! (july 2009)

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank jerseybeach123
Westchester County - NY
Reviewed April 6, 2009

LOVED the staff - but could do without the guests who stayed there! I found the guests to be overly pretentious and with them, came their children who aired a sense of entitlement like I have never experienced (and I live in Westchester County, NY!!!) I call it Vegas in the Caribbean because of the sheer size of this place - it is gigantic! It took over 30mins to walk from one side of the resort to the other - and were not slow walkers. I would suggest staying in the Coral Towers if you are going as a couple -not with kids! The pool at the Coral Towers was usually pretty empty - the complete opposite of the mayhem over at the Royal Towers. I compared it to being in the suburbs compared to being in the city : )

Here are my suggestions:

I would look into a dining plan – its called the Sun Scape Dining Plan – included breakfast and dinner – you are only responsible for the %15 gratuity – the food there is REALLY expensive, so this plan worked out really well (I cant stress "REALLY EXPENSIVE" enough)
If you would like to go to any of the restaurants – make the ressies in advance [-] - (Café Martinique is AMAZING!!!) http://www.atlantis.com/dining/finedining/cafemartinique.aspx
There is a deli-ish type place – right across from the Marina Village – in the same strip mall “complex” as Quiznos – I would DEF get water and snacks there – MUCH cheaper than the resort
There is a great buffet in the Coral Towers called Waters Edge – we also went there for the Dinner Buffet one nite, great selections and not super expensive
If you would like to book anything at Dolphin Cay – do it in advance – make sure you get your reservationists name – there were people who were having problems having Dolphin Cay find their reservation that were made in advance
Shuttles – there are shuttles which are free and will go all over the resort. If you need to be somewhere by a certain time, I would leave well in advance – the shuttle takes a while and stops at all the Towers. There are taxis that will take you around the resort – but it is not cheap
On the day of checkout – you can stow your luggage in their luggage room and still have access to all the pools and the beach – they have bathrooms with changing areas so that you can freshen up before your flight

• Stayed March 2009
4 Thank meredith8584
Edgewood, Kentucky
Reviewed April 2, 2009

We just got back from the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas.We took our two children 9 & 11. It was wonderful. The resort is amazing. The beaches are beautiful. The people are very nice, very accommodating. If there is a recession going on, you'd never know it at the resort. Yes, it is expensive, but it's no more expensive than Disney World, skiing or any other top of the line activity.

I was also happy that there were options. We packed alot of snacks, bought vodka at the duty free shop in Newark, bought beer on the way into the resort. We ate breakfast in our room, drank the coffee in the room, got value meals at lunch and ordered pizza from Dominos for dinner 2 nights. It was very reasonable. The lunches were no more expensive than eating out in the states. We did, one night, go to the Marketplace Buffet and it not only wasn't great food, it was SO overpriced. $150.00 for four people and my son ate one piece of pizza. :( We went to Johnny Rocket's one night and it was good - great milk shakes!

At any rate, I did a lot of research before I left, took the good with the bad and found it to be very, very nice. The aquariums are amazing, my children had a blast (as did we) on the slides....loved the current. We did go do the dolphin thing, while, again, very expensive, was the experience of a lifetime, wouldn't have traded it....my children loved it.

My children went to Club Rush one afternoon. They weren't crazy about it and it was $30 which surprised me because I didn't see before that where they indicated there was a charge, but perhaps I just missed it, cause there's not too much you can do "free."

The cruise ship crowd really makes the place start seeiming rather crowded during the day, but it's such a huge place, it doesn' really matter.

We used Fergie's cab service on the way to the hotel - had Sirus...he was great. It was cheaper than when we went back and just used a random one outside the hotel, go figure.....

All in all, if you do your homework, are flexible about food and drinks, it's a great vacation. A friend of mine is spending a week in Florida and he'll spend at least double what I spent at Atlantis. It was a great trip.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank franmom
Wood River, Illinois
Reviewed March 27, 2009

I booked the winter getaway buy 3 get 1 night free that included the dolphin adventure. I paid for the cheapest room in the Beach Tower. To my delight, I was upgraded to Reef Wing in the Coral Tower. That is a signifigant upgrade. The Reef Wing is brand new, and they did not spare expense. The furniture is beautiful cherry wood, the bathroom counter is marble, the fixtures are high end. The room has a great big flatscreen TV and a pod style coffee and tea maker. The towels are thick and luxurious, the sheets are ironed and crisp. It was a very, very lovely room. It was a walk out room on the first floor . One entire wall is glass with a nice sized balcony that over looked the nurse shark lagoon and the ocean.
The service was perfect. Everybody was friendly, whether they were actually doing a service, or just passing me in the hall.
The grounds just defy description. This resort is enormous. You are hard put to find yourself in a place that does not have water involved. Be it the ocean, the lagoons, the waterfalls, the pools, the rides. Water is everywhere. The landscaping is very mature and very well maintained.
The ocean is cold. That surprised me. The beach is very clean. All of the water sports cost money. Not much is free here ! The pools are crystal clean , chairs are plentiful and comfortable. You can get all the towels you need from the towel shacks.
Food is not that expensive at the stands, but to sit down and eat is expensive. The high end restaurants are very nice, great ambiance and good food.
The movie theatre is free, showing current movies.
Shopping is crazy expensive, even for the dorkiest little plastic do dad.
I cannot recommend the shallow dolphin experience. It was pretty lame. I would have been upset had I paid for it. 75% of our time was spent posing for 2 different pictures. Every individual and then every family group. It felt like it was more about selling pictures than letting us hang out with the dolphins.
The spa is one of the nicest I have been to. I go to the spa in every resort I go to. This one is opulent and relaxing. My treatment was perfect. I had a body wrap that came with a head and face rub, back rub and then I added on the foot rub.
I can heartily recommend this place, but it is going to cost you some money. Watch your bill, because I too was charged for minibar that I did not use.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#4 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!