“This place is truly amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection

Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Wood River, Illinois
“This place is truly amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

I booked the winter getaway buy 3 get 1 night free that included the dolphin adventure. I paid for the cheapest room in the Beach Tower. To my delight, I was upgraded to Reef Wing in the Coral Tower. That is a signifigant upgrade. The Reef Wing is brand new, and they did not spare expense. The furniture is beautiful cherry wood, the bathroom counter is marble, the fixtures are high end. The room has a great big flatscreen TV and a pod style coffee and tea maker. The towels are thick and luxurious, the sheets are ironed and crisp. It was a very, very lovely room. It was a walk out room on the first floor . One entire wall is glass with a nice sized balcony that over looked the nurse shark lagoon and the ocean.
The service was perfect. Everybody was friendly, whether they were actually doing a service, or just passing me in the hall.
The grounds just defy description. This resort is enormous. You are hard put to find yourself in a place that does not have water involved. Be it the ocean, the lagoons, the waterfalls, the pools, the rides. Water is everywhere. The landscaping is very mature and very well maintained.
The ocean is cold. That surprised me. The beach is very clean. All of the water sports cost money. Not much is free here ! The pools are crystal clean , chairs are plentiful and comfortable. You can get all the towels you need from the towel shacks.
Food is not that expensive at the stands, but to sit down and eat is expensive. The high end restaurants are very nice, great ambiance and good food.
The movie theatre is free, showing current movies.
Shopping is crazy expensive, even for the dorkiest little plastic do dad.
I cannot recommend the shallow dolphin experience. It was pretty lame. I would have been upset had I paid for it. 75% of our time was spent posing for 2 different pictures. Every individual and then every family group. It felt like it was more about selling pictures than letting us hang out with the dolphins.
The spa is one of the nicest I have been to. I go to the spa in every resort I go to. This one is opulent and relaxing. My treatment was perfect. I had a body wrap that came with a head and face rub, back rub and then I added on the foot rub.
I can heartily recommend this place, but it is going to cost you some money. Watch your bill, because I too was charged for minibar that I did not use.

2 Thank cmgs51

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Turkish first
chicago, illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

I am a young professional who went with my girlfriend to the bahamas for the first time in my life. Here are my impressions

1. First off, I did not expect the bahamas to be so run down. The resort is very nice, but the surrounding town is fairly beaten up. To me, there was really nothing glamorous about the Bahamas except the hotels which kind of reminded me of Atlantic City

2. There is NO Nightlife scene for young adults. If you go on a day when Aura isn't open, there really is NOTHING to do except go to the hotel bar and the casino. This got old after the first day. If you go on the weekends it may be different, but unlike say Vegas there really wasn't a strong weekday nightlife scene

3. The rooms are nice. They are clean, we had a cool balcony over looking the harbor with a great view. No complaints

4. The waterpark is cool. The resort itself is huge (which is good and bad). The giant aquariums are amazing, but a little dirty and they could benefit from cleaning the windows. But seeing so many different fish, sharks, and rays was really neat

5. The Dolphin Cay is awesome. Definately do the deep water swim. They're dolphins are so much fun to be around as they are extremely playful and cute

6. Be prepared to spend 2X what normal food costs. Nobu surprisingly was the closest restaurant we went to that was fair value. Their Market Place buffet is $56 for something a little better than ponderosa. Their pool cafes cost $15 for a burger and fries. Ben and Jerry's Icecream is $7. 2 Apples and a diet coke cost $10.

7. Their casino is also expensive. Craps table minimum was $15 and I heard that on popular weekends and such the minimum is $25 per bet

8. Go to the Poop Deck. The food was great and much tastier than every place on the resort except Nobu.

Summary: I'm extremely glad I went, but I was a little disappointed and I think there are better ways to spend $2000 on a 3 night vacation. The bahamas was not nearly as glamorous as I expected and for young adult couples there are way too many kids running around (not surprising). The Dolphin Cay was amazing though and by far my favorite part of the trip. If you are a young adult couple, be prepared for lots of kids, a lack of nightlife, and extremely high food prices

3 Thank epc5163
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

My wife, our two boys (2 and 7) and I returned for another stay at the Coral Towers, 5 days in March 2009 and once again had a fantastic time with little complaints.
WHen visiting an island, what keeps bringing us back to Atlantis is the abundance of activities, attractions, restaurants and quality of the beach. It truly caters to not just my wife and I, but our two boys.. call it the DisneyWorld of the Caribbean and take that for what it's worth based on what kind of holiday you are looking for.
Atlantis is busy, lots of people and while some quiet spots, on the whole it's one fast paced place.
I constantly shake my head at the number of reviewers that are shocked at the price of the food here. First off, I fully agree, cost of food is high. But if this catches visitors by surprise, there is no one to blame but themsleves. The internet is perfect for educating yourself on the resorts you choose and if you can't afford or don't want to pay those prices, pick a place that better suits your budget. The Atlantis website has menus/prices for almost all the restaurants that you can download, then guage if this place is for you. Plenty of sites such as TripAdvisor provides first hand comments as well.
This time around, we tried the $69/day Adult dining plan ($35 ages 7-12. Under 6 eat free) but found we'd have been better suited just to pay off the menu. The plan allowed each person an appetizer, followed by salad or soup, a main course then desert. Add in milk for the boys and drink for us, as well as tip, our bill routinely came out to almost $200US each night. But if we weren't on the plan, because of the large portions most of the restaurants served, we would have been fine with sharing an appetizer and then a main course each. The plan provided so MUCH food, we found we couldn't eat it all. Plus your tip is higher as it is automatically calculated based on the all the food you ordered. The plan also limits you to what restaurants you can try. Strongly suggest you call 2 weeks or so before you go and make reservations as the walk up waits were 60-90 minutes.
We ate at the buffets each morning, $25person if not on the dining plan. Great selection of food, and each day on our way out of the restaurnat, we grabbed 2 or 3 pieces of fresh fruit, a couple or three mini sized cereal packages and filled up our kids portable drinking containers with juice that we could snack on over the rest of the day as opposed to later buying a $7 bag of chips or pop.
While it's expensive, I'd rather pay the extra $ to stay at Atlantis as opposed to neighbouring hotels that offer little outside of beach and a pool.. I find that after a few days of that, we get quite bored. The pools, waterparks, fish exhibits, movie theatres, marina village and expansive grounds of Atlantis provide a wide range of constant fun and excitement for our boys and us. ALot to do at night time as well. For those of you with kids, you know nothing can more quickly wreck a holiday than bored/whining children.
The additional room charges (electricity, maid service, etc) that many have commented on sounds like it only applies to those who have booked a room only directly with the hotel. We have never encountered such additional charges during any of our stays here, but that is probably best explained by how we have always booked our stay as part of a package (hotel and flight).
We find the rooms to be quite large to accomodate the four of us considering in addition to a king bed, we utilize both the pull out sofa for my oldest and a crib for my youngest. Our room was also updated from our last visit (Nov 2007) with flat screen TV. The bathroom works, but is rather small, and would be nice if they included a fridge in the room. But loading up at the ice machine has always worked in its place.
We did grab some drink and food fixes for the family at the market in the mall just outside the Altantis property and adjacent to the Marina Village (3 minute walk). We stalked up with 2L bottled water ($3.50-$5.50 US depending on brand you choose. Inside Atlantis, it was $7.50 for 1L), juice boxes for boys ($7.00 for 8 pack) and chips. They sold alcohol as well, but we don't drink. Not great prices, but substantially less than what they go for inside Atlantis.
Again, we love this place and have visited enough times to know what to expect both entertainment and price wise. For those who return with "horror" stories of the costs, they would have been better served to do a bit of groundwork ahead of time so they know what to expect.

4 Thank JKobr
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

We just returned from a stay at the Atlantis. My husband and I had a great deal of trepidation after reading many of the reviews but I must say we were pleasantly surprised at our overall experience with the hotel. First, the service was excellent. We did have an issue because of spring break. We had originally booked the Beach Tower(which I wouldn't recommend) and found it to be extremely noisy, to the point that we were awake until 4AM the first night. My husband complained to the night manager and we were given an upgrade to the Coral Towers and $100. food credit for our inconvenience. We moved to the Coral Towers and were happy with our new and much larger room. While it is true that this is no cheap vacation, it is possible to do it on a budget. We ate breakfast at Murray's Deli or Anthony's very reasonably. We had lunch at one of the pool areas(hot dog/fries/soda for $7.00--value meal) and often skipped a more expensive evening meal this way. We would eat breakfast late and then a late lunch. We bought sodas, snacks at a local grocery and kept these in the room for late night munchies. We did splurge on an elegant lunch at Dune Restaurant at the Ocean Club (a must see) and a dinner at Carmine's Restaurant(served family-style) so you can easily split a meal for 4 people. The pizza at the Pizza place by the harbor was great and very filling. All in all we felt that we got a lot for the money we spent. I will say that the Atlantis is a huge place,very spread out, with lots of walking required. There is a shuttle to take you from place to place but you must ride the route in order to get where you want to go. There's not much to do on a rainy day other than gamble and Nassau itself is pretty economically depressed. Everyone is looking for a tip but gratuities are included on every bill. Golf is expensive so we opted not to play.The water adventure park is great for kids and because the place is huge you never feel crowded at any pool. The cove is probably the quietest and most exclusive area. All in all we knew what to expect and felt we got what we paid for. We did not come away feeling "ripped off" and did enjoy our stay!
We talked to someone staying at the Reef Wing of the Coral Towers who said it was very nice (low-rise) so that might be a future request. I didn't use the spa but the prices didn't seem out of line with our local spas.

8 Thank MAL823
Long Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

My husband and I went to Atlantis with our children and grandchildren (ages almost 2 ,5 and 4). We were upgraded to the Coral Tower because they didn't have adjoining rooms at the Royal tower. Nothing special about the room, clean and comfortable. No refrigerator if we wanted we could get one for $15.00 per day. No thanks. They did provide a real nice portable crib for the baby.
We found that the fish pools by the Royal tower and the Coral tower were not well kept. They had algae all over them. The water was cloudy and even had areas with disgusting stuff floating on the top. Yick! They were much better kept in the other areas.
The water park was fun especially the river with waves and rapids. The beach was beautiful the water even clearer than Aruba, our favorite island.
I read on Trip Advisor that there was only one hot tub on the property. I called before we left and was told there was a hot tub by the Coral tower. Well I couldn't find it. There were a few very small pools that at one time were hot tubs but not anymore. I called and was told that the only hot tubs were in the spa at a charge of $20.00 per person per day.
We got the sunscape gourmet meal plan at $69.00 per adult per day. The kids ate free. All we had to do is pay the gratuity and drinks. We ate at Carmines, Bahamian, Casa Angelo and Starfire steakhouse. Believe it or not for 5 adults and 3 children with only two people getting a cocktail the bill each night was between $600.00 and $700.00!!!!!!! So with sodas drinks and the gratuity we ended up paying over $100.00 each night for dinner even with the plan.
Like all the reviews said there was a lot of walking. It seems we spent more time walking than in the water.
We did the shallow water dolphin swim a nice experience.
Would I go back? I guess I would go to Harborside where I could save money on the food by doing some cooking and still use all the water activities.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

After reading a lot of negative reviews, I was very concerned. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of service, food, and price.

1. You are staying at an amazing resort. It's like staying in a theme park. Of course food and souvenirs etc. are going to cost - look at your surroundings! If you want value, stay at the Comfort Inn, not the Atlantis.

2. I travelled with my husband and 2-year-old. It's a great place for kids and families. There are pools of all sizes for all ages. The marine exhibit is FANTASTIC!! It's unlike anything I've ever seen.

3. We booked our package through Westjet, and we didn't pay for anything extra on top of what we had already paid for. Maid tax, etc. is included in your package price.

4. We got the Casual Dining Plan which is totally worth it. It's $69 per person. We ate at the Marketplace for dinner and breakfast was at Water's Edge. The staff are very accomodating and the service is great. The food is good too, and plentiful! There's no need for lunch (which is not covered in the plan.) We ate at Carmines once too (the portions are enough for 3 people at least). With the dining plan, you get charged 15% for the price of the food you pay. For four nights, it cost us $90 extra in gratuties. Not bad at all. We brought along 12 water bottles which lasted us the entire trip. Also, if you drink tap water at the restaurant, it's filtered. At the places we ate at, soft drinks and juices were included.

5. We booked for the Beach Tower, but were upgraded to Coral. Room was spacious and clean and housekeeping was fantastic.

6. Because tip is included, don't feel obligated to tip on top. We didn't and we got amazing service everywhere.

7. Overall, if you get a package deal, go for the Atlantis. It's amazing. You are staying at a luxury hotel with spectacular marine life! You can go on waterslides through shark-filled tanks, etc.!!

5 Thank Toronto83
columbus ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

We booked this trip because I had a business meeting in the convention center. We initially booked in the beach tower but were upgraded to the Coral Towers upon arrival.

The Resort. 2/5 only because the water attractions were great
The location of our room was great. We were on the 8th floor and had a terrific view. Also, the rooms were well insulated. I am a light sleeper and we never heard a peep from outside our room.
The room was reasonably clean. It was typical of a Red Roof Inn about 10 years ago. It was nothing special at all. I will say some of the things in the room had been previously used liked the “welcome” papers and the shower cap box had been wet and crushed a little bit which made me wonder if the cap itself had been used.
Like I said the rooms were just okay. If you stay in the Coral towers I would recommend asking for the 6th floor or higher or you will only have a view of old roof tops. The grounds were beautiful. Be prepared to do a lot of walking but there is always something great to look at. The Lagoons and the Dig are awesome. The water slides looked very fun (it was too cold to do much swimming when we there). My 3 ½ year old very much enjoyed looking at the fish etc. The kiddie pools looked nice as well. We were going to the pottery (you pay extra for) one day and when we got there the lady was rude and mean and told us if were going to do it we better hurry up because they closed in an hour. So, we left and went to the knock off build a bear next door and spent $40 on a stuffed pig. They have a lot of high end shops on the resort (Gucci etc.).

The Extras 0/5 stars
For the high price of the room I was surprised that we had to be extra for the following:
Electricity-$30 per day, Maid and maid gratuity- $33 per day, pool charges- $3-5 per day (even thought we didn’t use the pool because it was in the 60s they would not take the charges off). Also, if you wanted to have internet it costs $15 per day. The fitness center is also $15 per day. These are things that really should be included with the room. We did use the bellman to bring up our bags before we knew tat our room had been upgraded. Naturally, we did tip him. Upon checkout we discovered that we were also charged a fee for the bellman service. It was very nice that they had a free movie theater which had 3 movies per day.

The Service -0/5 stars
The Bahamas automatically adds in a 15% gratuity for everything. This is a bad idea. I am not sure the servers/attendants even get the money. The service was so bad and slow. It is amazing just how bad it is. Once the server makes it over to take you order (with an attitude) you may see them one more time when you receive your food. No one ever comes back to check on you. Then you have to flag someone down to bring you your check. BAD service with an attitude everywhere but it was the worst at the Atlantis. The exception is the cab drivers. They were informational and nice (they do take tips).

The Food-0/5 stars
Be prepared to spend a significant amount of money on food. I have never seen such high prices for mediocre food. There are two breakfast buffets that range from $17-25 per person. They were pretty good but $25 for breakfast???!?! The “cheap” restaurants were Murray’s Deli which was a Denny’s type restaurant but double the price. My meatloaf lunch was $18 and a chicken strip kid meal was $10-12. Drinks are $3.50 with no refills. Johnny Rockets was about $12 for a hamburger and the service was slightly better than all of the other restaurants we went to. We were going to go to Carmines until we saw the chicken dinner prices of $55-95 each. We did get pizza from the pizza place once, which again was just mediocre and $8 a slice plus forced gratuity. We did go off the resort to Anthony’s for breakfast and dinner one time. My husband said the breakfast was good. The dinner was also pretty good. I got a seafood pasta dish ($28) which was fantastic. There was a lot of seafood in it. The service was a little better at Anthony’s then at the Atlantis. We also took a $15 cab ride to the Fish Fry one night. We ate at Twin Brothers restaurant because it looked the least shady. Bottom line- don’t go it was scary, terrible service, and about $20-25 a plate. Not worth it when you factor in the $30 round trip cab ride. We did not even attempt to go to the fine restaurants after reading that it costs over$200 for 2 people.

Overall we did not have a good time and will never go back. The only way I would say to go is if you are wealthy and do not mind poor service. Also, if you go I would recommend getting a dining plan. Even though they are super expensive the alternative is stress and still spending a lot. I especially recommend a dining plan if you have kids because kids are free.

GO to the Atlantis only if you are wealthy. We have been to an all inclusive to Mexico many times and it is way better all around.

• Liked — Great Waterpark
  • Disliked — Hidden charges and bad service
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank fensterb