“Beautiful, but Expensive”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beautiful, but Expensive”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I just returned from the Atlantis and have been many times in the past. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is (mostly) fantastic and the water park never loses its appeal. My main issue is the food/restaurant situation. I went with my son and quite frankly, it is difficult to eat there. The food is extremely expensive to begin with but now they've begun this new "family style" service since my last visit. For example, I went to the BBQ restaurant and found that plates of various meats were $40-$60 and are supposed to serve 2-4 people. My son and I don't eat the same thing so that presented a huge issue. A bowl of mac & cheese was $22!!! He ate the whole thing himself. It's insane when you consider that this is supposed to be one of the lower priced restaurants. Bimini Road was always a favorite, but a chicken breast was $32 and my mahi mahi was $38, both of which came with no sides. Our server, Camille, was outright rude, did not listen to me repeat my order three times and served my food incorrectly. We had to ask for silverware, chips and water to begin. Unfortunately, a 15% gratuity is charged at every restaurant so it's not your choice whether to tip or not. She certainly did not deserve a tip after I had to chase her into the restaurant for silverware and a straw for my cocktail, nor did she ever check on us once our food was served to ensure it was correct. If you're traveling for a good time, this does not disappoint. If you are a foodie, expect to be disappointed - in all fairness, I did not go to the "gourmet" restaurants as they are $60+ per plate, at the least, and cannot vouch for those. I will say that the Marina Pizzeria is one of the best pizzas I've ever had and I'm from the Boston area with many, many choices. Esther, whom I met while she was getting off work, was so kind and thoughtful and our housekeeper was wonderful and kind. The spa made a scheduling error with my appointment and I was not offered an apology of any sort. It really took away from the experience. I was unable to enjoy the amenities of the spa and was not offered the chance to come back and do so, even though the mistake was on their part. Great facilities by the look of it, but unfortunately I couldn't experience that. Also, they closed the Jamba Juice there, which was one of my family's favorite places to visit daily. Hugely disappointed!

Room Tip: I don't see much difference between the Beach Tower and the Coral Tower, though we were upgraded...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank wendysprague29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Turkish first
LA, CA
Reviewed November 19, 2013

When we initially checked in, I felt like we were at an average restaurant and being led to one of their more unattractive tables to see if we would settle for that - NOT. I reserved a ocean view room at the Coral Towers and was given one at the Beach towers. I wasn't getting anywhere with the first person so I asked to speak with a manager. Their response was to find me a room in the Coral Towers at a lower level with a limited view. While I am having this conversation an upset customer next to me was given a complimentary upgrade to a nice upper floor room. I explained to them in no uncertain terms that they had a lot of nerve giving someone a better room for free when I actually paid for a room with a view. We ended up having to wait an hour or so for our room to be ready so we slepped our luggage down to the Blue Lagoon and proceeded to each have a Goombay Smash. Once we finally got to see the view from our 9th floor room, everything turned out well. It was just a shame to have to go through all the hassle to get what I paid for. The Atlantis resort is huge and has something for Everybody. The pools and water park, the casino and night life, the ocean, the many aquarium's, waterfalls, predator pools and last but not least - Dolphin Cay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachman77
Rio Rico, Arizona
Reviewed November 19, 2013

First let me say that the 140 acre grounds and beaches around the Atlantis are gorgeous. The water slides, the river rides, the aquariums, ponds and rivers are gorgeous. But the hotel itself was less than I expected in both service and comfort.
We were with a wedding group. We arrived after nine at night. Four of the rooms assigned to our group had not been cleaned. I spent an hour and a half the first night waiting for an adequate room. The room we were finally given was convenient to the lobby which was a plus because I spent so much time at the front desk! We requested a handicapped room. The safe was broken and the handicap shower head was not working. I called down and finally went to the front desk to ask that the repairs were done the next morning. Finally, late morning I headed to the pool. All guests are required to swipe their room key to receive a wrist band that gives access to the grounds; my key didn't work. They had inadvertently keyed our check-out as the day after our arrival. So another trip to the front desk, another hour wasted.
During our week at the resort the room was cleaned daily but the sheets on the bed were never changed. When you spend time on a sandy beach, this becomes an issue! Especially at a resort that promises the best of everything.
On Wednesday our TV quit working. Since my husband was spending quite a bit of time in the room I called down and asked to have the TV repaired. I was promised that someone would be up within 45 minutes. Six calls later at 9:00 PM the woman I spoke with told me there had been a system wide power outage and that they were resetting all TV's so I would just have to be patient. I pointed out to her that no one else in our party with over six rooms had lost TV reception. She then promised me someone would be up to the room within 45 minutes. Finally at noon on Thursday someone actually came up and hit the reset so that we had TV again.
These small inconveniences add up to POOR service, service I was not expecting from the Atlantis.
The room itself was large but somewhat dated both in decor and amenities. Also be aware that the cost of the room is not all inclusive. It does not include internet--$20/day--cleaning fees, utility fees, and taxes.
Finally, the restaurants, coffee shops and snack bars were all very expensive. On a trip into town we stopped at a grocery store and bought snack food, cereal, and sandwich makings. We shared a taxi on the way back with a couple staying out in the Cove who had done the same thing. If you eat your meals at the resort expect to pay extremely high prices.
Thank goodness for the white beaches of the Bahamas. They were a true delight.

Room Tip: Coral Tower is very convenient and central.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karen H
Burlington, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The Atlantis Nassau is in trouble, the owner defaulted on a huge loan, and the Canadian Company running it are doing a horribly noticeable job, and you are still paying top dollar! Customer Service is terrible, safety equipment on some of the slides not working (they are still running them), hot tubs are not hot... They are doing this rolling, close certain restaurants on different nights thing, no more nightly parade for the kids; horrible Cabana service(yes you pay, but you end up having to get your own drinks since that service is terrible too! The Casino is not giving out proper comps or credit at all! This article summed up our experience. Please save your money! Do a web search for an article entitled the 2nd fall of Atlantis, quick read and it does a good job of describing what is going on...

Room Tip: Stay away until it is bought by a new company, it is currently being run by an Asset mgt Co out of c...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Hugh S
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a trip to Beach Towers on CheapCarribean.com on a whim since the one day sale was too cheap to pass up. So cheap in fact our friends were certain it was fake and we would get kidnapped (haters). After reading reviews from fellow trip advisor posters and talking to our friends, we were prewarned about the expensive dining options on the resort so we were totally prepped for that. We opted out of any dining packages since we found those pricy and limiting--and though we were staying at a resort we both knew we would be venturing out for authentic Bahamian fare.

As soon as we arrived, the lady at the front desk was AWESOME! Apparently we had just missed the Miami Heat exiting the lobby (bummer) and to cheer us up she upgraded us to an amazing water view room in the Coral Towers. SCORE! (We went early Oct so I guess its easier for this to happen since its off season).

Our view was overwhelmingly beautiful. We aren't the type to spend a lot of time in our hotel room when we are on vacation, but the view really did change that for us. We would eat a lot of our meals right on the balcony over looking the resort and ocean.

Again, because we were prepped about the pricing, we hardly bought any food on the resort and saved tons of money. If you want to do the same:

1) Pack snacks & liquor of choice from home
2) Buy gallons of water at the grocery store--plus mixers and other snacks you might need
3) When eating at the resort--eat poolside where the prices for burgers/fries are reasonable
4) Venture off the resort and head to the Fish Fry for a nice dinner--we loved Frankie's Gone Bananas and have also heard great things about Twin Brothers
5) There are ladies that serve home cooked meals for the taxi men from food trucks in the employee parking lot. You get A LOT of delicious Bahamian food for $7! We liked the chicken & rice and fish & rice--everything looked good to us but we also love food trucks
6) Book a food tour (we loved TruBahamian Food Tours) and eat while you check out Nassau. Any activity that serves food is a good way to go!

The workers were all super nice and one early morning when I went to explore in the Dig I received a personal impromptu tour with all my questions answered about the sea life. The waterpark rides were also a lot of fun and we especially enjoyed the lazy rivers. It was an unforgettable trip and would advise anyone to go--don't be afraid off the expensive pricing!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Karina R
gasport
Reviewed November 16, 2013

we stayed at the coral towers at atlantis October 2013- the entire resort is an awesome place-the layout-grounds- and design are exquisite-it is a big place with lots to do and see-so many beautiful aquatic displays -well thought out- the water park and slides are awesome as well- the rooms were ok but not up to par with the rest of the resort grounds, but then again we were hardly in the room so not a big deal- prices however on the resort are quite pricey- a bottle of water in the room cost 7 us dollars-there is an area across the street from resort called marine village which is very nice to walk and relax at night-they usually have live music -like a town square type of thing-like I said- the resort itself is beautiful-but plan on spending a lot if you eat and drink there your entire trip

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beckalynne
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I told the front desk upon check in that this was my Birthday trip, I was upgraded from Beach to Coral Tower and after all paper works, I received a Golden Original Rum cake (L), excellent customer service.
Market Place restaurant was expensive Dinner buffet $49.00 USD not worth it. You can go Marina Village Pizza's excellent although the price is more than $6.00 per piece of pizza. Casino was tight, did not receive an excellent respond unlike in Fallsview Casino Resort and Casino Rama in Toronto Canada. Will go to Bahamas again on this Atlantis but never in Market Place and the Casino.
When going to the beach make sure go thru Virgil Grill lower level, near by the main front desk of Beach and Coral Tower this is the private beach of Atlantis, when you go public you will waste your $ from rental of the beach bed(?) .

Overall service - excellent, food - not good.

Cheers!!!!!

Romeo = Toronto Canada

Room Tip: Room service was excellent, towels changed daily and cleanling was excellent. We will definitely co...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!