“Amazing Vacation!”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Stafford, Virginia
“Amazing Vacation!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We just got back from our family vacation (myself, hubby, son, 11 yrs and daughter 5yrs) on 10/18 from a 5 night, 6 day vacation at Atlantis Resort and we stayed at the Coral Towers. A week before, we emailed Sandra from Fergies Taxis to see if there was any availablilty for the time we arrived, which there was. When we got out of the airport her son Wesley was there holding up a sign with my name on it! Very great first impression! Wesley was very informative and told us lots of things about the island and Atlantis. He also gave us a few tips on where to visit and eat. On the way to the resort we asked him to stop at a grocery store so we could buy water, soda and sunscreen (which i couldn't believe i forgot to pack!!!) Prices in Nassau are expensive, so be prepared! I has done my research and read a lot of reviews so i knew what to expect. A case of water cost $12.99 a 12 pack soda cost $8.49 and one can of sunscreen cost $13.99!!!! Highway robbery!!! BUT, it was much cheaper at the grocery store than on the resort! Wesley then took us to our hotel and we arranged for him to pick us back up on our departure day. Check in was a breeze, we were on the 10th floor with a view of the resort and ocean. It was breathtaking! We loved waking up to it every morning! The room was a decent size, 2 double beds, a balcony with 2 chairs and a small table, and a nice bathroom. You could tell it was an older building but our floor was very well taken care of. The maids came veryday to clean our room and provide freah towels. Before we arrived i had requested a fridge to put my daughter's meds in. They gave it to us free of charge, otherwise it would normally cost $15 per day. There was a mini bar fully stocked but we did not use it. The resort itself was beautiful. Everyone we encountered was so friendly and welcoming and really appreciated us being there. The grounds were so well kept and everywhere you looked there's plenty of marine life, greenery and lagoons to look at. There were also plenty of pools to choose from, we were spoilt for choice! We loved all of the waterslides, my son especially enjoyed the one where you end up in the shark tank and all the sharks swim around you! Defintely awesome! The beaches were gorgeous with torquoise colored water and white sand. We ventured out of the resort twice. The first time was to visit the zoo and the straw market. We also ate at the "fish fry" Twin Brothers Restaurant where we tried conch for the firt time - it was so delicious! The second time was to Blue Lagoon Island for the Dolphin Encounter. If you can't do anything else, i recommend you do this. It's a once in a lifetime experience. We were able to get into the water with a dolphin and dance, hug, kiss and play with him! My whole family enjoyed every second and it was worth the money ($98 each) Afterwards we went onto the private beach (which was an upgrade and an additional cost) There were water inflatables like slides, trampoline and a see saw! Lunch was included and it was good! There is also a bar and gift shop on the island. The Blue Lagoon beach was beautiful and not very busy with people, which was wonderful. It was about a 30 min boat ride from the ferry terminal by the bridge to Blue Lagoon, but the ride was nice and soothing.
The restaurants on the resort were pricey. but again, to be expected. Most were closed due to the off season but we did get to eat in the Marina Village at Murray's Deli and Johnny Rockets, but our favorite by far was Bimini Road, - we loved, loved, loved it!!! The food was so fresh and tasty, we had never had anything like it!!! We also ate at Anthony's a couple of time which is less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel. It also had a Dunkin Donuts next to it. We brought granola and cereal bars for breakfast, as well as snacks and ordered lunch poolside at one of the many food stands, which were reasonaly priced. The resort is cashless, so you pay with your room key - make sure you check your balance every night on your tv. There is a Starbucks in the basement of the hotel, as well as a Tween and Teen "Nightclub" called CRUSH! My son got to go there one night and told us it was awesome! The Dig aquarium was amazing, plenty of different fish to see and best of all it was free! There are also stores like Gucci and Versace in the hotels and i liked that the Beach, Coral and Royal Towers hotels connected. Wifi was $20 per day, but you get 20 mins free each day in the library which is between the Coral and Beach Tower hotels. This was a bonus to me because i didn't opt for an international data plan.
The reason why i didn't give this review 5 stars is because smoking is allowed in a majority of places inside and outside of the hotels and grounds. In order to get to the other side of the Royal Towers you need to walk through a smoke-filled casino, which i didn't like doing. Hopefully they will make plans to change that. The other thing that we encountered everyday were the vistors from the cruise ships that spend a day on the resort. We came during the off season so there weren't alot of people there, but once they came on to the resort, you could definitely tell. Most of them didn't have the same sense of appreciation for the island as we did. Apart from those 2 things, our vacation was unforgettable.
On our last day we were able to store our luggage with the bell hop while we spent one last time admiring the views! As promised, Wesley arrived on time to take us to the airport. Fergie's Taxis were our number one choice and we definitely picked the right company. We were so sad to leave. but already know that we will be back again in the near future. I recommend this place to everyone, young and old!! There is plenty to do and i promise you won't regret it!! Next year a new resort, Baha-Mar will be opening, and will definitely give Atlantis a run for their money, which will hopefully mean discounts for us! LOL!

JS - VA

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room on the 8th floor, or higher with an ocean view. It is breathtaking and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Jane S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed 6 nights in August 2013 (2 adults, 2 children) and we really liked our trip.

The good:
We really liked the resort with the slides, pools & huge aquariums. It was really impressive to see all those fishes in the aquarium, including sharks & manta ray. There are several different restaurants to choose from - don't forget to reserve in advance, we had to settle for pizza one night because we forgot the 4 restaurants we tried were full.

We did not really go to the beaches, mainly because the children wanted to spend most of the time in the different slides & rivers. This was fun for the parents too, but keep in mind that if you go there with children, this may not be a ‘relaxing’ vacation.

Staff was friendly and helpful every time we interacted with them.

The restaurants we went to were really good, especially the Olives in the casino – food was great and service awesome. We also really liked the Virgil’s and went there 3 times for lunch & 1 time for dinner – even had food to go and eat by the pool. For dinner, the menu contains family portions that you share, not the same pub style menu it has during lunch. The food was really great there, so was the red ale. I don’t recommend the Point restaurant & bar. The food was not good at all and it is far from the Coral. Although, the view was really nice.

The marina is really nice with all the big luxury boats and nice shops. We ended up getting are breakfast at the Starbucks most of the time. During the evening there is a lot of activities going on with a band usually playing at the Bimini Road.

There are shops across the street where you can get food & drinks (beer/wine/…) that is a lot cheaper than the one from the hotel. We had a small icebox that we kept in the room with a couple of beers & drinks.

We had an OK room - I asked for a water view and we got a room with a small balcony overlooking the ray lake not really seeing the ocean - but that was OK with us. I don’t understand why, in 2013, there are no internet access included in hotel rooms.

One thing that we really did not like was that smoking is allowed everywhere, or almost everywhere! In the lobby, in restaurants, near the pools, … With a resort like the Atlantis that draws so much families, I highly suggest they make the whole site non-smoking.

Also, keep in mind that it’s expensive. You can do a lot of activities on-site: scuba in the aquarium, swim with dolphins & ray, walk alongside sharks, … But all these are quite expensive.

Overall, we really liked the experience, and would go again, hoping that it would be non-smoking

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MarcSanfacon
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We booked our vacation thru bookings.com and we were booked in the beach towers but in arriving in he Bahamas our taxi driver informed they were closed.. Bookings.com did not inform us at all. So we get to the resort and they inform us we have been up graded. The coral towers room was nice, I'd say above average some what. King size bed and we were on the grind level with a nice deck overlooking the many streams thru the resort. The negative ... Noisy neighbors, our bathroom wasn't as clean as I'd like. The water drained very slow from shower and sink. After showering you'd be standing in water... Didn't like that. Also be prepared, paradise island is expensive. Fancy fruity drinks are 12$ each, bag of chips $7 ... So expect to be spending around $250-$300 nightly after alcohol and food. The staff though, trumped everything ( as well as the water and great weather). Great people.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carrie C
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Just got back from a 5 days trip to the Bahamas...this place is amazing, there is nothing I would change, it was a dream come true, best place to be with the family. The food was a bit pricey but it was well worth it. We ate at Mesa restaurant it was nothing extravagant except for the bill....lol. The price for water was outrageous $ 7.00 a bottle. You can walk outside the hotel, 3 minutes and you will find a small store next to Anthony's pizzeria where you can get water for $ 3.00 instead.
Everything else is just out of this world, I kept pinching myself.

Room Tip: You don't need to spend thousands to enjoy Paradise Island, we stayed @ Coral Towers and had acc...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alex1975-36
Danvers, MA
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was a great vacation. Took a cab from the airport (50 bucks) and the driver stopped at the super market and the liquor store for us on the way. Got to the hotel, immediately assisted curbside by bellhops. Went to check in, wrong type of room (I was with a male friend, but not "that kind" of friend, lol). We were upgraded but couldn't check in till later. Our friends got their room right away, so we went to their room, changed into swimsuits and set off for the pools and "not so lazy" river. Over the next few days, we checked out a lot of the pools and waterslides, the huge aquarium, the marketplace, and a bunch of the restaurants. Yes the food was expensive, but we were prepared for that so it wasn't a shock. We did one excursion, a booze cruise that included lunch, unlimited island cocktails, and snorkeling, all for 70 dollars! There was only about 25 people on the boat as it was off season.
I do want to address some of the things I read on Trip Advisor prior to my vacation.....
1. We were allowed access to the Cove pool, beach area, etc. Maybe because it was off season, but we didn't have a problem.
2. Virgils, in the Coral Tower, does NOT have a pub menu (not sure where one reader got that one, lol). All barbecue, served in family sized dishes. Very tasty though.
3. The staff were all very kind and considerate. They responded to our needs immediately and were polite and helpful. (our safe was locked shut when we got our room, security not only came within 15 minutes and opened it, the services manager called later in the day and left a message to make sure we got our needs met and to call with any other issues).
4. Yes there were a few restaurants closed on different nights as it was off season.
5. Yes there is free wifi at the Dunkin Donuts across from the Market place, you have to get a password from the Dunkin's counter help.
6. The hotel offers free internet access to each person over 18 for 20 minutes daily in the library (between Cove and Beach towers), this was most helpful! I left my phone in airplane mode all week because I didn't want to pay for data while roaming in another country.
7. Yes the hotel décor is somewhat dated, but the rooms were large, and VERY clean, and had a nice tropical color scheme, the beds were quite comfortable with plenty of pillows, the decks sat two chairs and a small table. (we were on the 10th floor with "water view" which was a stunning view of most of the resort and the beach and ocean).

The best part, travelling from the US, was that we got to do customs BEFORE leaving Nassau, saving us the time and energy of standing in line at the airport upon our return, that was great!

Overall, we weren't scared off by the negativity on this site directed at the Atlantis and ended up having a great vacation! You should go!

Room Tip: We had a beautiful view on the 10th floor with "water view" but really spent very little t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Beth R
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Let me just start off that this hotel is magical. It's huge and there is SO much to see! There were a few cons that I highlighted below but honestly, worth every penny

PROS

When we first arrived at Atlantis we were absolutely AMAZED at how beautiful it was. And HOW BIG!! When we went to check in we were told that we would be getting a room upgrade to the coral towers. Are room had a breathtaking view of the ocean and grounds and we were very pleased! We quickly got settled so we could go explore. I couldn’t believe how well the property was kept and how clean it was. The pools and beaches were spotless and it really wasn’t as rowdy as I thought it was going to be.

During our visit we ate at some amazing places including a few little stops in the market and a few of the restaurants, Virgil’s being our favorite! So delicious!
We really enjoyed the waterpark and music everywhere. It really made our trip a fun one and we would definitely come back

CONS

Everything costs at the Atlantis!
I was shocked that they didn’t provide free wifi. I’ve been all over the world and have always gotten free wifi! So when I hear it was 20 bucks a day I had to opt out of that. We also got charged for maid service even when on the first two days no maids cleaned our room, that was annoying. I partook in the dolphin interaction which I was really disappointed with. First of all, My fiancé had to pay an extra 15 dollars just to walk onto the beach and watch me with the dolphins. We had a pretty small group and our training er excellent but our dolphin was somewhat of a diva. The other groups interacted WAY more and got to touch there dolphin and just have a lot of fun with him/her. Ours, which was ‘ katrina’ didn’t even come near us most of the time. So I’d say more than half of that was spent standing and waiting for her to come over. I also emailed Atlantis about my lost photos from the dolphin interaction and they have yet to get back to me

Eating
Most of the restaurants on Atlantis were also closed, so we really didn’t have a big choice, which is why we ventured into town. We like to eat well so we could have probably found cheaper places but even the cheapest were still pretty pricey. We ventured into town to check out senor frogs which was Fun and CHEAP and boy, they get you loaded quick lol you guys should open up one on paradise island! I think one of my fav places to eat while there was this little hidden gem called the green parrot. I felt like I was just hanging out in someone’s backyard, but man those burgers were delicious! And the price couldn’t have been beat.

All in all I’d give our trip a 7, a strong 7. Like I said, I am sure there were ways for us to not spend as much as we did, but again, nothing is included at Atlantis.

When visiting the Bahamas there is nowhere better to stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessabell54
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Traveled to Atlantis, Paradise Island for the first time Sept 4th. The Coral Towers is a perfect location and makes everything easily within walking distance! The entire resort is full of many things to do. The beach is sooooo beautiful. We LOVED the Cove beach because we aren't experienced swimming in warm ocean water. The cove beach is very calm and you can literally see fish swimming as you stand in the water!!! All of the beach areas are wonderful and easily accessible. The Coral Towers does need an update in terms of the decor but the service, room, and overall experience was wonderful. Another perk is the Starbucks located right in the hotel!! The breakfast buffet at the Cove was the best and provided lots of healthy choices!! This is where we had breakfast almost everyday. We also enjoyed the Point as well. Can not wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: fourth floor with view of the stingrays!!!! loved the balcony!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!