“Ups and Downs”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Columbia, Maryland
“Ups and Downs”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I've always looked forward to visiting Atlantis and for our 3rd anniversary we booked a 4 night stay. Given that we went in September, it's nice to not have many people and kids around (the start of the school year...); HOWEVER, upon arrival at 6pm, we couldn't really find any open restaurants and had to leave the resort to eat dinner. Who closes all their restaurants at 6pm, dinnertime? As the weekend went on, they kept most restaurants closed, apparently due to the low occupancy of the resort. Okay, fine. But, that really just left us with Starbucks, Johnny Rockets, and Quiznos... we didn't really have a lot of interest in the expensive dining options - although, Virgil's BBQ would've been about the only one except they were the most popular (and one of probably 3 upscale restaurants open) and had a horrendous wait.
The water park was awesome and sooo much better that there weren't a ton of people around - hardly any lines for water rides every time we went (and we pretty much stayed on the lazy river or water rides most of the trip) - the beach is always great - perfect white sand beach with crystal clear warm water... probably my favorite beach besides the Grand Cayman beaches.
The staff were not extremely friendly and most of the time they almost begrudgingly helped you - the "lifeguards" and people servicing the water rides were pretty much all texting or talking to others. I've been to other resorts where all the staff are very friendly and always greet you even when just walking past, so to me, it was pretty bad when most staff avoided your eye gaze or only just barely gave you a hello.
Because the food is so outrageous on resort grounds, I'd highly recommend taking a trip to the grocery store (there's one just past the village marina, walking distance from a lot of the restaurants like Quiznos and Johnny Rockets) because you can get snacks and sandwichy stuff if you don't want to drop $50 a meal (and that's for budget-friendly meals LIKE the Quiznos, Johnny Rockets, pizza, and Starbucks...).
To sum up, if you go off season, be prepared to not have many food options at the resort, BUT the low density of people makes it super nice! I'm not sure that I would go back, but my husband loved the water park, so I'd probably suck up the cons and go back.

Room Tip: We booked a room for Beach Towers, but due to low occupancy on the resort because of the off-season...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blueydbld9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (782)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I'm writing this because the reviews on this site helped me plan our trip and this may in turn help someone else. We stayed here during September, which was the perfect time to visit Atlantis. After reading some other reviews I was prepared for crowds, long lines for water rides, shortage of available beach chairs, etc. but was pleasantly surprised to find none of that. It's technically off season so it wasn't crowded at all but not completely dead either and plus the weather was great--earlier in the summer would've been too hot.

The room was just fine..nothing impressive but no complaints either. If you want an impressive room you should stay at Royal Towers or The Cove (I'm sure the Cove rooms are much better, given how modern and nice its lobby is, totally different from the other Atlantis hotel lobbies). We were happy with the quality of housekeeping service. We were planning to rent a fridge for $15/day but didn't have to when a maid told us we can use the mini bar to store some milk/food for our toddler. Yay!

I'm not even going to go into how expensive food is in Atlantis.. everyone knows that. To cut down on costs I brought from home peanut butter, jelly, tuna, and loads of snacks. On the first day we took a walk to Paradise Village Shopping Center to the little grocery store and bought things like bread, cheese, mayo, milk and water. If not anything else definitely buy your water from there and not from the resort. A great tip I read was to go to the fridge in the back and get the gallons of water instead of the packs of bottled water conveniently displayed in the front (you'll save money). I didn't mind making sandwiches for a few meals so that we could splurge on some fancy dinners. Coral Towers is in a great location, very close to the shopping center (right outside the resort grounds) and to Marina Village, which I found so adorable. It's lined with little shops and at night there is always some kind of local entertainment. Nice place to hang out in at night.

The Atlantis grounds are amazing! We love being in the water so we literally have gone into every swimming pool and did every water slide. There were 3 pools for kids which was great because I could let go of my 2 year old in them and not have to worry about him drowning (water depth was probably 1 or 1.5 ft). The Splashers kids pool is wow! It's like a giant playground sitting in the middle of a swimming pool. My son wanted to stay there all day. The Leap of Faith slide which is at the top of the Mayan Temple (that's the pyramid shaped building) is so scary at first but totally exhilirating and fun! After the near-vertical slide you continue sliding through a clear tube that's inside a shark pool (but it all happens so quickly you don't really get to see anything) and fall into another pool. Initially I was hesitant about the idea of being thrown into a pool of water since I can't swim or even float but then I realized that all the slides end in a 3 ft. deep pool (4 at most). The same place where you get on the Leap of Faith slide you can also go on the Challenger Slides which goes down the back of the pyramid. Also located in the Mayan Temple (halfway up) is the Jungle Slide which is the least scary of all the slides and the Serpent Slide. For this slide you need to find a float and carry it up with you. This one is not really scary either.. It just slides you through a dark tunnel and then on a leisurely ride through the clear tunnel in the shark pool. The Power Tower is another building that hosts 4 other slides, I believe 3 of them requiring floats. If you've done the Leap of Faith then none of these will really scare you except maybe the Abyss, which lands you in a pool inside a cave! So cool! For the rest of the slides in the Power Tower you end up on the fast river ride, which I've seen labelled both "Rapid River" and "The Current." No idea why except maybe to cause confusion? I didn't particularly enjoy the fast river ride, probably because my husband saw someone get knocked off their float. I know the river can be pretty deep especially in areas where the waves are generated and I kept thinking I'm gonna fall out too and drown since I can't swim! I did wear a lifevest (free to use) the first time I went on that ride but they didn't let me wear it on the slides which ejects you into the fast river ride. All in all I thought the waterpark was a lot of fun and a great way to spend daytime at the resort.

We loved all the marine exhibits, namely the Dig and the Predators Lagoon. Breathtaking! We would have totally missed the Predators Lagoon if my husband hadn't spotted a tiny sign for it. It is located underneath this gazebo where there normally is a restaurant (it was closed when we went). In fact I found there is a lack of signs identifying different features of the resort. I mean there are signs telling you which way is what but no signs identifying the place so you can know if this is it or not.

As for restaurants I was disappointed to see that they just close them whenever they please. Maybe that doesn't happen during peak season but several times we had to change around our plans because the restaurant we wanted to go to that night suddenly had a "closed today" sign. Our top 3 meals in the Bahamas (in no particular order) were at Virgil's (located in Coral Towers), Anthony's (in Paradise Village Shopping Center), and at Oh Andros (in the Fish Fry). Speaking of the Fish Fry, you must go there to complete your Bahamas experience. Great local seafood, casual/relaxed atmosphere, and very wallet-friendly! You'll find conch fritters and cracked conch on pretty much every menu and it's so fresh and tasty. Another local specialty is guava duff which was delicious!

Overall we really enjoyed our stay. The resort is beautiful and clean and the employees were all really nice to us. Wish they didn't charge for every little thing ($20/day/phone for wi-fi.. seriously??) and that food prices were lower but all the cool features in a way make up for that. What did we ever do on other vacations where the only thing to do at the hotel was to swim in their ONE swimming pool?? This was truly a fantastic vacation!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank mez1212
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Well we went during Eagles bye week last year as I'm a big football fan. We booked though the website it was quick and flawless. We arrived at the airport in Nassau while it took awhile to get through customs it was fine. are transferred boss was waiting for us to take it to the hotel the tour guide on the bus was fantastic. We have been to the Atlantis and stayed in the coral towers for the past 3 years. Check in was extremely quick. we arrived at 1 p.m. And we're shocked that we were able to get a room before the 3pm. A pleasant surprise. We got to our spotless room om the 5th floor. To our disappointment ybe beach tower pool and lazy river were closed and under renovations. Our best weather day was the arrival day sunday we got 3 hours in the pool which had a great DJ. The weather the rest of the week was rainy and the hurricane was coming. Do not purchase the meal plan you can save 15-20% paying in the same restaurants on your own. We loved the casino we loved the movie theater we loved the comedy club. We loved the nightclubs but they played the same songs in the same orger nightly. Then after the last bad weather day came this is where the vacation became a nightmare. Hurricane Sandy hit we could not fly out on friday or saturday and this is where we raped for money the charged us 220 a night for the 2 extra night when the hotel was basically on lockdown and charged us regular price for the restaurants...not only was this vacation which we looked forward to and saved up for a disaster our flight was cancelled saturday and was rescheduled for Wednesday. Well we can only get internet access for 15 mins a day and the person running it was sympathetic and gave me extra time on the computer saturday so I could book the last sunday flight out on sunday. The new waterpark is awesome but extremely dangerous I almost drowned in the rapids I hit my head scraped up my knees it was a mess. So be careful I want my lazy river back.I was very disappointed witb the way we were treated. Its left a bad taste in my mouth for almost a year. Tbis was my favorite vacation spot and the way they treated me and their refusal to refund some money back the thought profiting over our misery I decided to take my 3500 and book my vacation I'm Punta Cana. Their attempt of restitution was a $50.00 Sandy Credit that's what they called it Sandy Credit. So after I felt raped and taken advantage we left Atlantis back to NJ only to be devastated by Hurricane Sandy once again. My previous trips to Atlantis have been great however if they continue to nickel and dime people they are going to lose more good people like us and many others. Hope this helps.

Mike-NJ

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Mikey126
New York
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Short vacation from New York with our 9 and 10 year old from 9/5 to 9/9. We got a great deal with Jet Blue vacations. We were upgraded when we checked in to harbor view and were on a high floor with fridge for no charge. Bell hops were very accommodating as our flight got in early and room was not ready. Overall everyone was very friendly and service was good. Called housekeeping twice and both times response was very quick. Coral towers is a walk to water park which we didn't mind but might not work for some. Agree with some others that you need to be careful with the 'not so lazy river' in the water park .. You can easily get tossed out of your tube and the lifeguards attention seemed to be spotty (saw some reading books, many were wearing very dark sunglasses that made me wonder if they were even awake). Overall, we did not run into any big crowds/lines even though there seemed to be several cruise ships in port each day. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: High floor
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 12, 2013

So we were upgraded to the Coral towers Sept 6-Sept11th, I went with my husband and 3-year-old and had a great time. Like many, we got our room for $99/night and after reading the reviews, I was scared about what this trip would really cost me. I took a suitcase full of snacks, capri suns, and I'll also admit...I took these alcohol premade drink packets (different flavors like margarita, pina colada etc)...they are in capri sun-like packaging for like $1.40 at CVS here in Houston, and they were FANTASTICS. I would ask for a cup of ice at the bar then would fill it up, and get my fruity drink fill while at the pool. BUT I don't know if I was really allowed to do that through customs. I didn't think about it until later, I probably should have ask, but I did get away with it and it was lovely! I took a collapsible cooler, filled it with ice and took off with my snacks and juices.
My way of coping with the expensiveness there was to create offsets (like the price of the hotel room...not getting the meal plan and eating elsewhere...bringing my own juice and buying waters at a local supermarket). If I feel like I'm getting slammed on everything, I do get bitter...but I really went into it knowing it would be expensive, and looked at ways to mitigate. One was eating dinner at Montague Gardens....I've got a separate review on that. You should definitely go there.
This place was fantastic for my daughter, she/we loved the 'lazy/crazy' river...I could have just gone round and round on that thing the whole day, it was so much fun. The slides and water parks for the kids are awesome, I can't say enough about them, and at this time of year, I did not see any long lines of any sort.
It rained sporadically every day and then it would clear up, that was more than ok.
The aquariums were just breathe taking, the whole place is a complete compound.
My husband used the gym twice, it was $15/day, he said it was really nice (hell, it better be!)
The beach is wonderful, however, we spent most of our time by the pool.

If you don't like walking, don't come to this resort or the Coral Towers, everything is far. We found if we cut through the Casino, it wasn't so bad, I was glad to get the exercise though, after eating all the crap that I was eating over there. We typically had a burger by the pool in the afternoon, which was reasonably priced.

We ate breakfast at Anthony's every morning, which was good. We spent approximately $35 for the three of us. One day we tried Quiznos and breakfast was gross, the egg was still frozen on the inside...I'm probably more of a real breakfast kind of girl, add to the that crappy look on the girl's face that helped us, I was completely turned off.

About the "attitude" of some of the Bahamians, I would say 50% were crappy and 50% were sweet, friendly and helpful. I don't need a lot of niceties either, I've got thicker skin than that. I tried not to let the bad ruin my opinion of everything, however, it was something that my husband and I noticed. I did have a little girl with me, so I did see many of those "frowns turn upsidedown" whenver my extroverted daughter would say hello and smile.

The Room: we were upgraded to the 10th floor at the Coral Towers and we had a great view. The 10th floor however, smelled like wet dog, it was pretty awful and the ice maker was broken so I had to go to the 11th floor for ice. The room was clean and served it's purpose well. The bed was comfortable, and I took all of the drinks out of the mini fridge and put my own stuff in there. I bought a gallon of water (I could have fit two), and was able to stick it in there, there was plenty of room for more stuff too. The beds were comfortable, I usually push one bed against the wall and sleep with my daughter so she doesn't fall off.

Wifi: So we bought Wifi becuase my husband has to be connected, and while he was able to work just fine out of the room on his computer, emails through our other devices like iPhone was shoddy at best and not dependable at all. We tried to get it fixed a couple of times, but when he went to the lobby, of course, it worked fine and there was nothing to fix. Oh well!!!!

Childcare: One day we left our daughter from 1 to 5pm at the daycare while my husband and I went downtown to walk around. She loved it, they were very sweet and even gave her a little backpack for her to take home with her, and it was a nice couple of hours to ourselves and to be able to get out of the compound.

Would I come back to the Atlantis? Probably when my daughter is older and she can appreciate all of the slides, and ONLY if I'm paying what I paid for the room etc. but it won't happen next year or anything. I liked all there is to do at the resort....never a dull moment.

3 Thank Luisa B
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We went Labor day week because NYC schools didn't start till the following week. With $99/night Coral Tower promo x 4 nights and 4 plane tickets and 4 value meal plans ($80/adult/night, $30/child/night), shallow water dolphin and stingray experiences, we still spent close to $4k. We went expecting it to be expensive, but still came back feeling like we got nickeled and dimed at every turn. So, happy we went, and would probably go back but in no hurry to return.
1) Coral tower was completely adequate, for the price we paid. It was much busier than the Royal towers, so I think many other people got similar deals and chose this tower. The room was big, with a decent balcony, and not luxurious but decent (would be unhappy if spent >$300 at peak). It was a brisk 8 min walk (no kids) to Aquaventure from our room. The kids did not complain about the walk back and forth.
2) We got the meal plan, and aside from one dinner at Olives ($280 for 2 adults, 2 kids), ate exclusively at Marketplace buffet. Olives was their upscale restaurant in the casino and nice, but seriously overpriced. The buffet was also overpriced but decent enough, and one kid liked the pasta station and the other liked the Mongolian grill area. Ben and Jerry's ice cream was a nice end to the meal. Also, the kids had no chance to fall asleep while waiting for food to arrive. Note that they are not kidding about the required 15% service charge on everything. So breakfast buffet after tip was about $100, and dinner buffet about $168. Meal plans do not include lunch, which at the Zero entry cart in Aquaventure cost about another $50-60/day. Note Seagrapes buffet is closed for the next few months due to slow season. The Marina pizzeria was also very popular with people not on a plan.
3) Aquaventure was pretty empty when we were there. Like <20 people total at 9 am when it opened. We went on the big slides about a dozen times in a row with no lines. Note even though it was an off week, the park would get busy about 11 when the people arrive from the cruise ships. You can tell who they are because they form long lines at the lockers 1st, then long lines on all the rides. Nothing against the people that take cruise ships, but I don't like them clogging everything up. Lines would grow to about 30 min at max, and I can only imagine how unpleasant the park would be if it was peak season. The cruisers all leave about 3, so from then till closing about 7 the lines would all disappear again. The slides are great, but they all require you to be 48". There are about a dozen small slides for smaller children, but they are much smaller and slower, and the only thrilling ride for them is the Current (not so lazy river, mix of rapids and wave pool). The Current opens at 10, FYI. If you have a kid taller than 42" and less then 48", IMHO I would suggest considering waiting until reach 48" before going to get better value.
4) Stingrays was very cool, we got to feed them shrimp and squid and then snorkel in the lagoon. Our guide and photographer were great, and best of all they let us take pictures with our own water camera. They have all the gear for you, including a snorkel to keep. Their photographer used a Panasonic Lumix.
5) Dolphins on the other hand was very cool but basically a big scam to get us to buy photos. We were not allowed to use our own camera. Their photographer (using a Nikon D5000) came by to take literally 5 shots (in bursts so total was 23 pictures) of us, and then disappeared on break the rest of the time we were there. The cheapest package just for a CD of the photos (30 picture max) was $120, packages went >$200+ for actual prints. I would've taken a lot more and better photos during the rest of the time we were there. Also, our guide was annoying and kept calling himself and his job awesome. With the enthusiasm of a porta-potty engineer.
6) Everyone takes USD. There's a bill breaker machine in the casino that came in handy to get singles and fives to be able to tip people.
7) Cab from airport was $45 after tip, back to airport in a shuttle with other people was $40.
8) No free wifi. Available for $20/day. You can get 15 min internet use on a computer at their library in Coral, but I just stayed unplugged. There is a computer to check in and print boarding passes in the Coral lobby that came in handy.
9) Service in general was uneven. Some really chipper, engaging and happy workers, and a few unpleasant disgruntled ones. Their lifeguards are not on par with the States, so they were spaced further apart on the rapids river, and it was not unusual to see an empty chair or one climbing a tree or with their back to the water, instead of watching. Just be aware.

6 Thank welbymd
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Atlantis is a huge resort on Paradise Island near Nassau Bahamas. The hotel is probably the nicest in all of Nassau and the resort has every amenity one could desire. It is not new and definitely has a "used" feel (dated carpet that has taken in it's share of humidity and cigarette smoke- but hey, don't complain- You're in the Bahama's!!). It is not smoke free (nor is anyplace in the Bahama's). But the staff is superb, very accommodating and friendly. There are plenty of family friendly pools not to mention the crystal clean water at the beaches. A casino, shopping, spa's, dolphin adventures and aquariums galore. The entire resort works as a cruise ship with room key charges for everything so pay attention to your bill. There is a duty free liquor store within walkable distance if you want to save a ton of money- ask, they will tell you where it is. Definitely a great place to stay and just relax. Plenty to keep everyone in your party happy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!