Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed July 5, 2008

This was the best vacation we have ever taken. we actually stayed an extra nite. this place has something for everyone. food wasn't as bad as reported...about $400/day for 2 adults and one 6 year old.that's with drinks and snacks. go...you'll love it.

1  Thank elizabethelia919

Reviewed July 2, 2008

I visited the Coral Towers from 6/23 to 6/29 with my husband and 2 daughters (7 and 12 years old). We had a room with no view at all on the 4th building (all you could see was a rooftop of another building and the parking lot). It was a middle class hotel room, not an expensive looking (like waht you paid for) room. Since we would not spend much time in the room, we did not protest about the room.

The minibar was very expensive, so we only used 1 bottle the first day.

First of all, the hotel grounds, atractions and pools ar great. My daughters loved the water park and the Dig. My 7 year old specially loved all the marine life, particularly the Stingray and Turtle feedings (which are the only free activities there).

The very bad experience was the food-- extremely utterly expensive..I mean abusive. WE tried to cut the costs (and fat) by eating ouside of the hotel, as we found most of it to be too greasy and not many options (especially at luch time). Anthony's Grill had slightly lower prices than the Atlantis, but some itms were still overpriced there also. The only relief we had was the liquer store in the mini-mall by Quiznos. WE purchased beer at very good prices (3 for $5), and water bottles were cheaper than the Atlantis, but still about $3.50 a bottle. Our best meal was the Marketplace dinner buffet ($106 for 2 people).

Snce I had read about the extreme costs of food, we took a suitacase with a folding cooler which was a lifesaver since we always had cold drinks (some of which we brought from home). We also took cereal, muffins, boxed UHT milk, yogurt, crackers etc. which we had for most of our breakfasts, cereal bars. Taking into consideration that a single serving of ceral with milk costs $8.00 + 15% there, we really saved a lot of money by having breakfast in our room.

WE had consdered getting the meal plan, but the cost would have been over $1400 (not even considering the tips and drinks which are very expensive). We calculated the amount we spent on food , and we spent about $800. 00 over the whole week n(of course, wth our kids we didn't eat at a gourmet place). Remember, we bought our drinks at the liquor store. So in our case, we did much better without the plan.

Extemely bothersome was the charges at checkout for cleaning services and tax. It came to about $500.00 for us, which was an unexpected cost. We had never felt so cheated.

As a whole, we really enjoyed the features at the Atlantis, but would not return since we felt ripped off for most things there. I would recommend this place to a family that doesn't mind spending a small fortune on eating.

2  Thank PR_LMG
Reviewed June 30, 2008

My family spent June 22nd-June 28th at Atlantis. We booked our trip through a AAA travel agent and settled on the Coral Towers as the best option for us (myself, husband, and our two children (ages 4 and 8). I was very apprehensive about the trip after reading all the negative reviews on this site and others. Being a planner, I took the reviews and suggestions to heart and planned accordingly. This can be a great vacation if you are prepared!

We had no problem getting transportation to the hotel from the airport. We arrived at around noon and I got in the short line to check in. Since we were early, our room was not ready and I was quite disappointed to learn that the adjoining rooms we had arranged for months ago (my parents were planning to stay next door) were not available. After a conversation with the manager we were given rooms that were next to each other, but not adjoining, with the promise that they would give us adjoining rooms the following day (this never happened and we were eventually credited $150 for the mix-up). We made the room situation work - at least we were next door. We were on the 5th floor and had a lovely view of one of the lagoons and the lazy river.

The room was basic, but nicely appointed with comfortable beds and room to move around. There was a coffemaker in the room. Maid service was wonderful and we always had a generous supply of fresh towels each day. Rooms seemed to be fairly well insulated and we really didn't have too much of an issue with noise. The family that ended up on the other side of us (in the adjoining room) had a small child that cried quite frequently. We could hear him in the hall, but not in the room.

Food is just as expensive as everyone says. We came prepared with breakfast foods, juice boxes, and all of our snacks. This left us only needing to pay for lunch and dinner. We bought two large water bottles on the first day and then just refilled them with tap water and ice from the machine each day. Most restaurants in the hotel are extremely expensive and we avoided these. We ate most of our dinners at various places in the Marina Village (a very short walk from the Coral Towers Lobby). We liked Johnny Rockets, Marina Pizzaria and the Deli. Anthony's restaurant next to the Comfort Suites is also within walking distance and quite tasty. We spent most afternoons at the River Pool right next to the beach and the food at the Cave Grill was fairly inexpensive by Atlantis standards.

The pools are FANTASTIC. We loved the waterslides and spent each morning at the Mayan Temple pool which is right next to Aquaventure. The slides open at 10-ish each morning so we would try to make it over to the pool by aroun 9:30 each morning. We never had trouble getting chairs together (4-5 each day) and several days we were able to get chairs in the front row right at the water line. As I mentioned earlier, we would walk over to the beach in the afternoon and then spend the remianing afternoon time at the River Pool, which is also next to the lazy river.

Take the time to walk the grounds and inspect all of the animal lagoons. They have quite a collection of sea turtles. The baby hammerhead sharks and stingrays were a big hit with my kids as well. We loved the Dig and went there at least once every day. There are always new and interesting things to see and we were able to see divers tending to the animals and feeding several times.

My husband and I did get some time away from our kids and we made use of both the casino and Aura, the nightclub. We had very little luck at the casino, but had fun losing some money. The club was great and we stayed out dancing until almost 3am.

Bottom line, be prepared to spend a lot of money on food. Pack snacks and breakfast if you can, it will save you money. Be realistic in your expectations of the room. They certainly are better than motel quality, but don't expect rooms to be 5 star. Get water shoes for at least the kids. The walkways between the slides and around the pool are extremely hot and flip flops will not stay on when riding the slides. The property is HUGE and if you want to see everything be prepared to walk... a lot!

This is a beautiful resort and overall we had a fantasic vacation. The staff was very friendly and the facilities seem to be well cared for. If you get a chance to leave the property, check out the straw market - there's nothing quite like it.

3  Thank JMP15
Reviewed June 24, 2008

my gf and I stayed at Atlantis Coral towers on june 13 to 16th, 2008.We bought our reservation online for the coral towers promotion room...when we got there we got this room at the shortest Coral building ( there are 3 ) and our balcony view was totally blocked by a tree. We asked for a room change and was told that there is no other available room with a view of the lagoon and the towers for the type of room we booked. There is even no upgrade accd. to the staff. We dont know if the other rooms next to us ( were on the 4th floor) have better views, but I think they do, although the staff said the promo rooms have no lagoon view at all. . The staff said that , that Sunday they could move us to a better room, which they did, on the tallest of the 3 Coral bldgs. and it had a magnificent view..I guess the promo rooms advertised are located at that shortest bldg with blocked views which the staff also confirmed. So before you get there, give them a call so that you can probably get assurance of getting a better room if they are not booked. Other than that, the place itself is so magnificent you will really enjoy your stay...

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank balukChicago
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We added the Atlantis onto our Bahamas trip for some relaxation. We had chartered a boat out of Marsh Harbor for 5 days. So, we added 2 nights at the Atlantis - comming form Califonia is a bit of a trip and we figured we may as well check it out.
We arrived and went to check in where it took quite some time. Turns out they did not have joinning rooms which I had booked with them on the phone months in advance. We had originally booked the Beach Tower - but nothing aviailable and the reservationist kept asking if we really needed ajoining rooms... uuhhh... yup - my kids are 5 and 7 - not like I will be leaving them in their own room. So, she upgraded us to the Coral Towers. Ok, fine - we proceed to our room. My husband and I had to chuckel at the the "upgrade" part. Upgrade?? What's the Beach Tower look like!? The rooms are basic. I thought the hair dryers were pretty funny - old school box type. Unfortunatly they heat up and got too hot to hold - but who really needs to blow dry their hair in the Bahamas! The kids room television didn't work - they fixed it the next day - no problem. Ok so the rooms are nothing great - but you are not in the rooms - so deal.

The grounds are starting to look their age. Some of the water slides were not working - the ones between the Coral and Beach Towers. The Aquaventure was great and the lazy river ride / rapids is a blast! The kids loved the kid splashers pool area. The lifeguards in the kid area look like they are going to fall asleep - I can imagine it's a boring job after a while in the hot sun. The guardson the lazy river were pretty good - my daughter was wiggly on the tube and fell in (we were on a double - she was wearing a life vest - that we brought by the way) the guard jumped right in - I already had her out - he helped me get her in the right position for the rapids. It would have been nice to have some sort of signage or help in the loading area telling you how to sit in the tubes... I did no reseach what so ever on this and had no clue that there were rapids and a conveyer belt and you have to sit a particular way to be safe on them. My husband lost his sunglasses - his own fault - don't wear them or make sure they are on a leash! Getting a chair was a bit hard - but we did find 2 - not like we needed four - the kids never used them! Make sure you get their early to get a chair if you want one right by the pool. They say they will only let you be away from your chair for an hour and then they will remove your stuff and put it in the towel cabanan - but I never saw that happen.

The Dig, the Predetor tank and all the other sea life stuff - they are great - but really need to be cleaned. Some of the tanks are very dirty and slime is growing everywhere. My son is a BIG turtle fan - so we were by the turtles quite a bit - they are great - but again - need a major cleaning. Very large turtles!

The kids went to the kids camp on Saturday night. My kids LIVE for kid camps!!! Saturday night they had a "party" $65 per kid. Pizza, movies, popcorn with a bunch of different video game systems (my son was in heaven!) They had fun! They also wend the morning we left from 9 - 12 (Which gave my husband and I time to pack, shop, check out ect..) They did crafts, played games - had fun - $45 per child for that.

Food - as far as food went - I thought it was all pretty good - not wonderfull - but not horrid either. We had dinner at Seafire Steakhouse Saturday night - we had to eat in the bar because we didn't have reservations. Hint: make a reservation - days in advance! no matter where you want to eat - unless it's a buffet. Friday, Saturday and Tuesday the cruise ships are in so keep that in mind as well. Seafire was fine - I enjoyed my steak - The service was great as well. We had a buffet for breakfast on Sunday - The Marketplae in the Royal Towers - suprisingly .. not that expensive! your normal buffet faire - nothing special - but they did have a ton of juices and beverages to choose from - and it's self serve so you can mix them and make POG (Pinapple, Orange and Guava! mmmm) again service was good. Sunday night we ate at Bimmini Road - fun place - it says you don't have to make reservations - but DO! we had to wait an hour for a table - we shopped - it's a fun place -service was good. My son even ordered something that was not on the menu and it was no problem! We went to the ice cream place afterward where there was a line (Saturday night it was tiwce as long) $3.50 a scoop! but ..mmmmm...!!!!

Never had an issue with any taxi drivers - both to and from the airport - no issues.

Take lots of money for tips - my husband over tips all the time - so we tend to get great service when we return. When we left the airport he tiped the guy $25 to bring our bags to the taxi - when we got out of the taxi on our return - same guy saw us and came running - it was crowded and others were waiting - but not us! It helps when you have 2 tired kids that do not want to lug around their bags!

I would go again - but maybe the Royal Tower - it seems to be a bit more centerally located - but the kids club is in the Coral Towers so that is a plus!

Reviewed June 18, 2008

I have travelled all over Europe, Mexico and the Carribean. This was my second trip to the Bahamas. The first time was 10 years ago and I was not overly impressed but wanted to see Atlantis and give it another shot,a lot can change in 10 years.
The Good: The grounds are impressive. It's cool to see sharks outside your balcony. The aquarium and Dig are unique. The water slides and attractions are fun. Casino is ok but no poker room and sometimes wait is long for a table.
The Bad: Rooms are average nothing special. Prices are obscene for mediocre food. A good steak from Old Homestead or Ruth Chris (In Vegas or AC) is the same price but twice the size and much better. You hear constant complaints from guests about food, service and overcharges. Restaurants are disorganized.
The Ugly: Taxis try to rip you off make sure to ask about fare beforehand. Had our bag stolen at the pool. Security never came. We reported it to the manager who just shrugged and stated they aren't responsible. We finally were able to fill out a report with security and they stated management would contact us. Never happened.

Much better value and hospitality in Vegas, AC, Mexico.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 17, 2008

We took the family for spring break March 24, 2008 to the Atlantis after hearing good things. What a surprise! The check-in process was horrible (1 hour) and the staff were actually rude. They could not give us the two adjoining rooms we reserved and paid for 4 months ahead (we wanted one room with a rollaway bed but they said hotel policy is two rooms at twice the cost). We had to split our family the first night (choice of across the hall or on two different floors and smoking) and then we had to move rooms the second night (6 hours without a room). The rooms were not clean and one had a broken door latch and light. The rollaway bed never showed up the first night (waited until 12:45am). The food was just okay (best meals and best staff at Bimini Road and Anthony's Grill off property), everything was overpriced for the quality and the service didn't even match the mandatory 15% tip. The casino was crowded, didn't have enough tables and was not as much fun as gambling in Aruba, at the MGM Grand or the Borgata (best one yet). Even after the Atlantis survey, we didn't get one word of apology from the Atlantis. I'll spend my thousands in Aruba or the Riviera Maya next time. Even Disney World during Spring Break the year before was more fun and better service. Only things good were the water slides and lazy river near the pools (if you could get a chair). Not going back!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!