“Worth Every Penny But Be Smart”

Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
“Worth Every Penny But Be Smart”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Atlantis is one of those places that you have to experience at least once. My first time, my wife's second. I have heard it described as Disneyland for adults and that is not far off the mark.
Yeah it is expensive but you already know that you get what you pay for in life.

So much to do at the resort both day and night that you really do not spend much time in your rooms. You have to experience the Dig to believe it. Be sure to go both during the day and at night as the experience is very different.

I can say that we truly did not have one bad lunch or dinner the entire week we were there. Virgil's is absolutely amazing as far as the portion size. We ordered a salad and the BBQ brisket and I swear they simply asked the cow to lie down on the plate. SO much food that we ate the brisket for lunch for two days. Ok so you have read a number of reviews complaining about the cost. The dinners were not cheap. And it is true that you are over charged for everything and because the resort is isolated, you really do not have much choice but to pay. There are some things that you can do that can make the daily average price very reasonable. We brought items for breakfast and snacks. Lunch very often was left overs from the night before supplemented with a vegie bag. ($8.00) There is a mini bar fridge in the rooms that we used to hold our stuff overnight. Go off site to the stores located outside the main entrance and purchase soda for $1.25 a can rather than $3.50-$4.00 per on site. Our average daily meal cost was around $110 for the two of us and we ate WELL and at most of the really upscale places.

I believe it worth asking for a water view but be prepared, water view can mean (as it did for us) the lagoon in the center of the complex rather than the ocean. Also try to get a room above the 5th floor as the view will be better and you wont smell the mold from the lagoons and water features that surround the hotels. Not a major issue though as we were on the 3rd floor and survived. We were in the Coral Tower and I would certainly recommend it. But for sheer elegance, you cannot say enough about the lobby of the Royal Tower. Incredible. Of course you are not allowed to sleep in the lobby so save your money and visit the lobby.

There is a $20 per day charge for WI-FI which I always find absurd. We skipped it and used the 15 minutes per person free internet service in the library and made it ok. (Of course there were the 434 emails waiting when we got back to the US)

The water park is one of a kind. So many water slides that are so unique. We did the park in the mornings and the beach, poolside or the walk about in the afternoon when the cruise ship people would arrive. I have to say that the Atlantis should limit the number of cruiseys allowed into the park. I know it is big money for them but the crowds do get annoying late in the afternoon. The movie theater was a nice touch. After a few days we were getting tired and it was pleasant to be able to just sit back for a night.

One final note. I read a lot before we left as to how rude the staff were. I did not experience this. People are as you treat them and we found that people were very friendly and responsive to our needs. The only rude person that I encountered was the US Customs agent at the airport as we were leaving. Go figure.

So much for the Bahamas. I am glad we went and stayed at the Atlantis.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank McQt007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Turkish first
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was at Atlantis (coral towers) for four nights in June. This hotel is chaos! It is super busy and definitely a family-oriented destination (I was there for a conference). The rooms were very average. Quite dated in terms of decor and also the bathroom could have used a refresh. However, the beds were comfortable and the linens were also good. The service at the hotel was excellent. The staff was super friendly and very hospitable. One of my greatest disappointments of this trip was the lack of good quality food options. Either you were paying through the nose at a fancy restaurant for dinner or you were eating pizza or a hot dog. Actually, you paid through the nose everywhere considering I paid $3.50 for a banana in the mornings. I ate all my breakfasts at Starbucks because I didn't want to go to a buffet. I was also quite disappointed in the beaches as they seemed to be man made. They were really busy with vendors and the water was full of people on rented jet skis. I spent most of my time by the lap pool and fitness centre since it was relaxing and quiet. I also went to the fitness centre a couple times ($15 per day) and it is very well stocked. All in all, this was not a trip for me but if you have kids and are looking for a family vacation, this would be a great place! As long as you are prepared to spend a lot of money on food and extra curricular activities (there seemed to be a charge for everything). The lazy river and waterslides are great and there are tons of aquariums which are also really interesting to see. But if you are looking for a nice relaxing beach vacation, don't choose this resort! The resort to me was like Vegas on a beach. Everything was expensive and extremely commercialized. I don't feel like I can say I saw the Bahamas because I don't think Atlantis is a true reflection of what the other islands have to offer.

Room Tip: Ask to have an ocean view if you can, otherwise you will be on the side of the tower facing the lobb...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank scoutandb
Mint Hill
Reviewed June 17, 2013

A great trip with my wife for our anniversary, pleasure and gambling excursion. Had a great view from our room, the scenery overlooking the pools,the lagoon, the ocean and watched the cruise ships coming and going. Very clean, well taken care of and the people very friendly. Yea it was pricey but well worth it. Only downside was 15% gratuity was tacked on to Everything including walking up to the counter and ordering a coffee. Had a great time in the Casino and actually brought home some of there money. You feel like royalty! All I could say "it was Awesome!

Room Tip: Try and get a Water view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jhncCharlotte
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Reviewed June 12, 2013

May 31, 2013 to June 8, 2013 - Fantastic place to vacation at. Food is expensive - some of it great, some of it below par. Wonderful friendly staff, very helpful, happy and smiling. The grounds are beautiful, the whole resort is well taken care of, beautiful marine life, dolphin encounter was a delight. Booked a ocean view room, got 12th floor with an amazing view. Room in need of some repairs but no big deal, everything worked. Yes, I would go again and I would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors have better views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AussieinAZ
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed June 10, 2013

First off, I don't understand why this place doesn't just charge more per room; instead when you get your bill you have bellman fee (per person) daily utility fee, beach & pool fee, $20 daily wifi fee if you need wifi. It only makes you annoyed when you get your bill and see all the added on charges!! There was a storm while we were there and there was flooding in our lobby, roof was leaking all over the resort. We were in the casino playing electronic poker and had rain dripping on the screen. We didn't have hot water on two different days. We stayed in two different rooms, first had construction above us, second room had construction right next door, at 7 a.m. Not my idea of a relaxing vacation! Also, someone stole our room key, since you use your room key as a credit card, and had a nice $200 steak dinner! The hotel finally credited us, but we had to deal with this for two days of getting the run around and being stressed about this matter!! We think it was mini bar guy who took our card since we always left our extra card on top of mini bar. Lock your things up and hold on tightly to your room key!! And to top ALL this off my husband and I have been sick since we have been home, my husband worse off than I am, 3 weeks of diahrea, may have parasitic infection!!! Total nightmare!

Room Tip: Spend your money elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Merceyme
KY
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We loved the Atlantis and Coral Towers! We stayed May 30th - June 6th and had an amazing vacation! There is so much to see and do. We never got bored and our kids loved it! We were in the Reef Wing of the Coral Towers overlooking the ocean and part of the lagoon (we only booked Terrace View but ended up with ocean/lagoon view!). The view was breathtaking! Our room was clean and we loved the balcony we could sit on and take in the beautiful sites. We ate at several of the restaurants; Virgils, Murray's Deli, Bimini Road, Johnny Rockets, Marina Pizzeria and Seafire Steakhouse. All were good except I did not care for Virgils, but I am not a huge meat eater either. My husband and kids said the BBQ was pretty good. My children started splitting 1 item off of the kid’s menus at the restaurants as we found the portions to be huge and a lot of food was wasted if each got a separate kids meal. Again, we found the portions to be quite generous. We usually went to Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks for breakfast and found reasonable choices and prices. One night we had Chinese food delivered from Double Dragon and it was delicious! The Chicken Chow Mein was SO good and the prices were very reasonable. I packed a suitcase full of healthy snacks that came in handy while at the pool, beach and waterpark. We went across the street to the convenience store and purchased bottled water. I brought a small collapsible cooler for the water and this worked out great. We never felt like the resort was crowded as there are so many pools and beaches to explore. We went to the beaches (Paradise Beach was our favorite) in the morning and hit the pools/waterslides in the late afternoon when many people had left to get ready for dinner. We walked the property every night and explored every inch of the Atlantis, it was so much fun! We also went to the Marina Village every night and walked around and grabbed a Bahama Mama to go from Bimini Road while taking in the sites. Ben and Jerry's was great also but try to go early as it gets very crowded. We caught the Junkanoo parade one night in the Marina Village and it was really neat to hear the music and see the dancers and costumes. The kids enjoyed it! I really think Coral Towers was perfect for us as it was not overcrowded (like I've heard about Royal) and it was a great location. I liked walking all over and getting great exercise each day, it was good for the whole family. We did venture into Nassau one day and went to the Straw Market. It was fun and we walked around quite a bit and took in the town. We would go back in a heartbeat. Yes, some of the staff seemed like they could care less about tourists, but most of the staff were fantastic and very friendly. We loved it and will definitely come back in the future!

Room Tip: Reef Wing overlooking the ocean and lagoon has an amazing view! Rooms are clean, nice balcony and th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank cabana228
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The Atlantis is a beautiful property. Unfortunately our trip was cut short due to a tropical depression. We checked out after one night. The Atlantis refunded us for the good plan we purchased and the dolphin experience we could not use. They gave us a credit to come back with in a year. We were pleasantly surprised and are looking forward to returning. The food was excellent at the 3 restaurants we ate at- Virgil's, Carmine's and Seagrapes. We went on the slides before the rain really fell and they were fun. I can only imagine how much fun this resort is in the warm sunshine.

Room Tip: Water view worth the upgrade
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!