“Beautiful Resort, . . . but”

Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
New York City, New York
“Beautiful Resort, . . . but”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just came back from 8 days at the Coral Towers. First the good. The Atlantis resort is stunningly beautiful. The landscaping, pools, and water features are all beautiful. The marina, the shops, everything is well done. Staff is very friendly and accommodating! You can get to downtown Nassau with a $4.00 ferry ride or cab ride if you are sharing.

Now the bad. The Coral Towers needs to be refurbished. The hallways to the rooms look old and outdated. The air conditioning unit in our room was very loud. The sliding doors to the balcony had a make shift lock on it. Water pressure in the shower is not strong, and first couple of mornings, water never got piping hot. We found out the hair dryer in the bathroom didn't work while getting ready for a dinner reservation. With wet hair, I had to call and complain, and they sent another hair dryer in about 15 minutes which caused me to have to rush. Bottled water in the room, $7.00 a bottle. Internet WI-fi, $20.00 a day! Buffet dinner $70.00! Get the meal plan if you can. One morning at breakfast, while we were at the buffet, the waiter cleared our table and sat another guest there. We came back with our plates, and found that our table was gone. When I questioned the waiter about why he gave our table away, he said we took a long time, which was ridiculous considering the place was crowded and you had to wait for things like omelets. Our phone stopped working, on our last night. Had to stand in the hallway and use a house phone to call down to "prompt service" for over 10 minutes. They told me that no one could fix the phone that night. So on our last night, we had to pack up all of our belongings in a hurry, and move to another room.The clerk had the nerve to tell me that I could come down to the front desk and get my key. I told her, I am being forced to move, I don't want to move, send a bellman to move us. Bellman showed up 20 minutes later, without the room key. Waited another 10 or 15 minutes for him to come back with the key and move us. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my last night.

Water rides are nice, but there is only one section where you can purchase lockers to keep your belongings safe. They need to have lockers around the resort, because you may be at the Royal Towers where all the water rides are, but may want to go the Coral or Beach tower to go the beach or another pool. The Currents ride is fun, but somewhat unsafe. The rapids cause you to bounce around and can throw you into the sides which are all made of concrete, with no rubber or foam buffer of any kind. You can literally hit your head or jam a foot. The sides should be padded for guest safety.

I would go back to Atlantis again, but I would look for a sale, so I wouldn't have to pay full price.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the highest floor you can get, with a room of the Royal Towers.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank suzykay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Turkish first
Metrowest,MA
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

The room could have been bigger, but not cleaner. Between the pools, lagoons, beaches and water slides, our little girl was thrilled all week. We were pretty happy too. Although it costs a bit, there is a children's activity center, and our little girl loved it, so we got to have some grown-up time. It is NO bargain, and good luck finding an IPA( all the local beer is putrid, and there is not much available that isn't local), but if you are looking to enjoy your week off, and you don't mind dropping some extra clams, the Atlantis is clean, safe, and filled with great activities.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank leedog
Branchport, New York, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed 5 nights (Thursday-Tuesday last week of April) at Coral Towers in Atlantis. It was busy, but not overly crowded this time of year. I have two kids ages 6 and 16, so it's not easy to please both, but Atlantis certainly had enough to make everyone happy. Yes, I agree the rooms are not spectacular, but they are perfectly adequate. It is clear that the Coral Towers are not as well maintained as the main building, but we really did not spend much time in our room. I had planned to stay at the Comfort Inn (next door), but found a package deal for Atlantis that actually beat the Comfort Inn prices. We were only on the fifth floor, but overlooked the stingray lagoon and had an amazing view. No complaints about the view at all. I knew Atlantis was going to be expensive, so I was prepared for it. We could have gone to the Bahamas for less, but my kids really wanted Atlantis and it was amazing. The views and water features are gorgeous. We did get the meal plan. It was $80/day per person (my 6 year-old was free), but allowed us to stay at the resort and not worry about any additional food money. Mandatory tips for the meals were extra and added to your final bill. A buffet breakfast is about $30/per person and dinner is about $50/per person. We ate at Vergil's BBQ one night and that was spectacular (DO NOT OVER ORDER - SIZES ARE HUGE)! Our total dinner bill at Vergil's was $374.00, but included in the meal plan. We also received the Experience Atlantis Pass as part of our package. It had one free dolphin experience, drinks at a couple places, a round of golf and a couple other items. We used the dolphin and the drinks, but passed on the golf & sushi. OK, so here are a couple tricks that helped. Across the street from the resort is a small shopping plaza, or take a taxi (car or boat) over the bridge to Nassau and buy a couple big bottles of water and soda if you want it. In Nassau I paid $2.50 for the big 1.5 liter of water and we used three. Soda and water is about $4/bottle at the resort. I packed a soft sided folding cooler and a folding water bottle. Fill the water-bottle each AM and cover with ice in the cooler. Also bring protein bars or something quick to grab and eat for the mid-day. Bring zip lock sandwich bags (quart size) to breakfast with you. At breakfast we took a couple hard boiled eggs, cheese cubes, mini muffins and fresh fruit to hold us through the day (remember the zip lock bags). Put those in your cooler with the water as well and hit the water park or beach. At the water park there are several food stands. Find one that has a soda fountain facing out, the drink re-fills are free at these, but they don't offer that unless you ask. Buy one soda and take care of the paper cup for the afternoon, because it can be filled as many times as needed. Identify a meeting place at the water park and make sure everyone can find it. Kids disappear quickly and I was constantly chasing my son in the kiddie area. Fortunately, we did not get separated, but if we did we always had a designated spot to meet. I can not stress enough about sun screen. My family is very fair and we are always trying to prevent sun burn. The Bahama sun us HOT, but there is a nice breeze so we did not always realize the intensity of the sun. You will burn quickly in the Bahamas. Bring extra and apply often. I forgot aloe (and of course my daughter got burned day one) and a bottle of Aloe After-sun at the resort cost me $17. We did buy a few extras and they were excellent. Shallow water dolphin experience - wonderful! Plan on paying about $150 if you want the pictures (which you will want the pictures), Sea Squirts, this is for little kids 3-6 years old to feed the stingrays and baby sharks. They get a craft activity and shirt in this as well. My son LOVED it! At the spa my teenage daughter got a "fire and ice" manicure and felt like a princess. Don't bother with a lot of clothes, unless you have specific plans or plan to go to one of the nicer dining areas. Swimsuits, water shoes, flip-flops and sundresses/coverups are all that's really needed. It's hot - stay comfortable. There is a lot of walking - KEEP the map of the resort and your key with you at all times (there are many areas that non-guests are not allowed and you must have your key or bracelet to get past security). Get your daily bracelet early (towel huts open at 9 am), so you're ready for the day. You will never see everything, it's huge! Go out in front of the Royal Towers and see the 7 golden Pegasus fountain, many people miss this feature and it's beautiful. The people at Atlantis & the Bahamas make this a wonderful experience. I know tips are included in the packages, etc. but a couple dollars here and there for exceptional service went a LONG way with people. They are very, very grateful for any additional tip and go the extra mile to help you. Take a bunch of $1 bills with you and don't be afraid to use them. There are no shells on the Atlantis Beach, so if you want shells you will have to go to a public beach in Nassau. Get up early and watch the sunrise, it's worth it. Also, if you go the straw market everything they sell is also at the nearby store for less. The straw market is really not what I expected (where is all the straw stuff?), but a local experience all the same. The water taxi, was one of the most entertaining experiences we had. A local was a "self-made" tour guide and comedian on the short trip across to Nassau - I would recommend it! Go to the JUNKANOO Parade in the Marina Village it's fun to see and dance! All in all, yes, it was expensive, but we have family memories and photos that are amazing.

8 Thank APKFAMILY
Rome, Italy
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Executive summary: great water slide activities, extremely shabby building with overrun staff, where everything is an extra charge. The water park is still good and the queues were reasonable. The "meet the dolphins at 198$" was great, shame about the cheap looking basic photo set for 70$ which were straight from the 80s. The rooms were truly terrible and had not seen any investments for at least 10 years, the bathroom was tiny, the shower had no pressure and the window frames did not stop any of the noise from the park and the corridors smelt of cigarettes and beers - all for only 600$ / night. Kids club is 65$ / evening (!) and the Chop Stix restaurant has no soul nor service yet costs an arm and a leg - please go offsite to dine,your stomach and wallet will be for ever grateful.

Room Tip: Do not go to Coral Towers, try to go elsewhere
3 Thank moritz23
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was confused before I left by the negative comments but was excited to check it out.
We went at the end of April which kept the crowds down because the schools and colleges break's were over. I went with an older daughter which was great. Can't imagine traveling here with younger children. Granted there is a lot for children to see and do but most were tired from traveling, crying, and just carrying on. Take the kids to Disney.
We were happy with the service at the coral towers, although some of the help on the island were
very sour. Which I can understand waiting on vacationers all the time.
Everything else was perfect, from the room to the beautiful landscape to the beaches, water rides, restaurants, unbelievable aquarium above and below grown, swimming pools, etc.
We were thrilled the moment we walked into our room at the coral towers, a three story building,
with a terrace and tropical foliage with a stream beneath us with swimming nurse sharks.
Coming from the cold north this was a real treat. The room was fine, clean, recently painted and
centrally located. Some of the other hotels looked great but rooms were more expensive.
We didn't spend a lot of time in our room anyway. Marina Village was a good place to eat out.
Nothing was inexpensive but we anticipated this.
We had a great trip, walked all over, it was just that paradise island.

Room Tip: It really depends on what you are looking for. Our room was on a low rise, three story building nea...
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Everything, from our check in to check out couldn't have been better. All staff was extremely friendly. Special kudos to the guys working at the car racing for being patient and making the activity so much fun for my 3 and four year olds. Room was on 11th floor and view was amazing. Housecleaning did a great job coming in twice a day and surprising the kids with towel animals. My three boys (2 kids and husband) are already asking for when we can return!

Room Tip: Oceanview room definitely the money
NYC
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was a spring break family vacation with our 6 and 3 year old daughters and another couple with an 8 year old girl. We stayed for 9 days in the coral towers. My husband and I went to Atlantis twice before and had a great time. Unfortunately it was not the case now. Starting with them screwing with our rooms - we asked for connecting rooms with our friends, so we can leave kids with a babysitter together. Rooms were supposed to be ocean view. Well, we were informed that rooms were on seperate floors. Fine. We tried to upgrade but were told the entire hotel including the Cove was overbooked. When we went to the room we saw only one bed. Don't they see that there are 4 people on the reservation? Where did they think my kids will sleep?! After arguing with the manager for over an hour, he did us a "favor" and placed two cots in the room - now the room is already small and we were literally tripping over each other. It was a favor since two extra cots are apparently a fire hazard. The room itself is in need of major renovation - everything is old, shower has no pressure and is very old fashioned. Def not worth the money they charge. But more disappointments awaited. We were advised to to use Mosaic buffet in the Cove, since it provides the best food. We had to wait in line for about an hour almost every day...for breakfast...with 3 hungry kids....There were hoards of people. Everywhere there were lines. Even in upscale restaurants where i had reservations made in advance - like Dune at the One and Only - we waited for 45 min in the freezing wind and were given a table by the door with terrible draft. Prices were outrages - considering we were there before and knew that it wasn't cheap but $16 for a hot dog? $10 for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? $10 for a bottle of water? Not to mention the resort RAN out of bottled water! The store clerk had no idea when the water would be delivered and it took two days to get it restocked. Kids Club - my dd's had a good time one day baking cupcakes and a terrible time another day when they were shown cartoons and were bored and asked to call the parents and the staff refused to call us! Beach - i felt like a sardine in a can, with people's chairs in my face and in my back. Had to leave the beach because i couldn't take it anymore. Overall the worst vacation of our lives. Kids still had fun though. We all got diarrhea after dining at Nobu and paying $1500 for dinner for 4.
Overall the services and amenities they provide do not correlate with the prices they charge...And after speaking with one too many managers we were told they go for the VOLUME not the quality.. "

1 Thank Shpulka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#4 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!