“Great time! even with a baby”

The Coral at Atlantis
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed December 28, 2012

One thing I'd like to quickly tell people is that getting the one bedroom suite in the Coral Towers is absolutely NOT worth it. The extra space was nice but you're paying a LOT more for simply having 2 regular rooms and an open door in between them. You'd expect some kind of luxury for the price but you receive nothing. Besides that first comment...

The trip itself was great! I traveled with my wife and 6 months old son and friends of ours who also had a young child. The rooms themselves were clean and nice. The service was fantastic at this place, everyone was always very friendly and greeted you with a smile. Anytime there was a problem they went out of their way to fix it for you. We had our tv down for a couple of days and they credited us some money for it. There also were a couple of days without hot water for our showers, that was not so fun. This was their slow season when we went down so a couple of things were bound to not be working. I recommend going down in early December, the place is half empty, no lines for anything but some restaurants. There was a lack of snack areas during the day that are open since it's slow season.

The restaurants are good food but also very expensive. They are not 5 star gourmet restaurants but you will pay those prices, you have to expect to overpay when you're at a resort. The service was fantastic at the very nice restaurants, very accommodating for our little ones. The resort could use a decent sit down breakfast restaurant, Murray's Deli is all they have, we went to Dunkin Donuts too much for breakfast. Don't get the more expensive meal plan, you'll never make it worth it.

The whole resort was a lot of fun and very relaxing. We spent most of our days down by the pool which was not crowded at all, kids had a blast splashing away. We went to the water park which was a lot of fun, great water park for adults and for kids of any age. Looking at all the fish and different species they had at the resort was fun and interesting, the aquarium was great to walk around.

I would definitely recommend this resort for any families looking to get away for a fun and relaxing time. When getting a regular room the price is well worth it.

Room Tip: Go with the regular rooms, they're clean and nice. Don't pay to upgrade your room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,670)

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We went to Atlantis to attend a gymnastics meet for my 17 year-old daughter Dec. 2012. Around every turn there were new surprises. This is a magical place I feel fortunate we were able to experience.
We received exceptional room prices due to the event. The room was plenty large for the two of us and was very clean and comfortable. We had a beautiful view of the ocean with a small porch to sit on.
Yes, the food and drinks were expensive, but the food was very good quality, the drinks poured with a heavy hand, and we experienced excellent service. We bought the value meal plan ($75pp/day) and it was almost too much food. Virgil's was very good as were the buffets.There are also some home town places to visit just outside the hotel at a very close little plaza if you don't want a plan. Personally, I just did not want to be searching for food during our short stay.
If you are a beach fan, this one is fabulous! Rather narrow, but beautiful sand, water and surf to play in. The end near the Cove allows you to view beautiful sunsets. We arrived during a storm and could only spend one day following the storm on the beach. There was some garbage on the beach at the Cove end. We did not snorkel due to the weather, but there was clear reef off the beach. Scuba is not nearby and would be a half day trip for about $200.
No water park will ever be the same after Atlantis. The rides are so cleverly intertwined with the beautiful landscaping, aquariums, and artwork that you do not know they are even there until you hear the squeals. They are also very exciting, fun rides. Entry and towels provided for hotel guests. Leap of Faith.
We visited the casino, but only played a machine for a bit.I can only say it was very pretty and clean.
The staff was very friendly and the property and buildings beautiful.
Worth the trip.

Room Tip: Coral Tower Beach Wing: Get above the 5th floor to be above the trees and see the ocean.
1  Thank RuthlessLynn
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed in the Coral Tower in October 2012. We reserved the Beach Tower, but got upgraded to the Coral Tower. The grounds were stunning. The Coral and Beach Towers seem to all have balconies while the Royal Towers at least on the beach side do not seem to. We found the service to be really good... but the food prices were outrageous. Make sure that you set aside a lot of extra money for that. Note first that none of the meal plans include lunch. Also, if you got the expensive meal plan, at least two or three of the extra restaurants on that plan were closed each day that we were there. Chopsticks was not open for the entire trip. We did not get the meal plan. I had a small ziplock bag of cut fruit for $9 on one lunch ($11). Salad with chicken on it was $15 ($18). I had $15 burger ($18). A one liter bottle of water was $8. Note also that even on the meal plan that you are charged a 20% fee on whatever you actually order for breakfast and dinner over and above what you pay per day per person for the meal plan. All of the restaurants charge you 20% extra on whatever you order too. We did the snorkel the ruins. The area that you get to snorkel in is small and they have quite a few people doing it at the same time. They also seem to use that time to clean the aquarium (sweep the bottom and the objects) so the view becomes cloudy and I don't have to tell you what you are now swimming in. Despite all of that, it was pretty incredible. I loved the aquarium. I would skip the history of Atlantis tour if I were you. We made a reservation for Casa D' Angelo while we were there. The food was pretty good (and super expensive, but you expect that), but the restaurant did not have anything like the romantic atmosphere that we expected. The tables for the booths were huge and the restaurant was really loud. The lazy river was closed for repairs when we were there as well as one of the waterslides. The other waterslides and the power tower and tubing river were a lot of fun. The actual stretch of beach for the resort is really small. The pools were not as clean as I would like. We found the staff to be really nice. Unlike the other reviewers here. Oh, and the cheapest can of suntan lotion was $26 plus tax. If you are checking a bag, I would suggest that you bring some with you. Spending over $60 on spray suntan lotion made me pretty sick. My boyfriend had a pina colada at Bimini Road that he still raves about. The room was nice. Not having free wireless kind of bit. We had a hard time with the slow computers and the long lines in the library. The hotel does have a kiosk where you can print out boarding passes for free near the concierge desk in the Coral Tower. The vans that take you everywhere were nice. The movie theater was nice and the snacks and bulk candy in the theater were really reasonable (shocking). The snack bar only opens for about 15 minutes before each movie starts and you have to charge any food that you get there on your room card. We were told that some big Atlantis-type resort is opening in Nassau with cruise docking in 2014 so they expect that the prices for Atlantis will go down to compete. No promises-- just something to think about. Overall, I would say that I really liked it, but the experience was colored by being gouged by everything. I would definitely recommend that people go, but just understand what you are getting into.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank h0stler
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Amazing hotel - got a complimentary upgrade to Coral Towers, which was huge. Great location, near the pools with sharks and stingrays. Easy access to library, water parks, beaches and pools. Everything is super pricey but what else would you expect from Atlantis?! Wide range of restaurants around plus there is a little shopping complex just outside Atlantis, where it cheaper to buy bottled water, snacks etc. All the staff are quite friendly and service is generally excellent. Well worth a stay!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DipaP
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The property is 5 star to say the least, the views from the Coral tower are probably some of the best in the Islands. A prime view of the surrounding waterpark and stingray and hammerhead shark pools. The resturants on the property are extremely over priced as is everything on the property. For great meals go to the Fish Fry District and eat at Two Brothers, some of the best and freshest seafood on the Island. When we were upgraded to the Coral Tower the price remained at $149.00 per night. The casino was very kind to me this trip

2  Thank Jerry A
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Coral Towers at Atlantis recently. Our room, which was a "Garden View", actually overlook the roof of the lobby (we were on the 4th floor). No matter - the location of the Coral Towers made it very easy to get to all the other sections, including The Reef and The Cove. The room was very comfortable and more than large enough. One drawback - Atlantis is offering timeshares in the Harborside Villas and we were hit up for a visit on four occasions as we headed through the lobby.

Room Tip: If you choose the Coral Tower, try for an "Ocean View" or "Museum View.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed one week at the Bahamas Resort Complex for a conference. Our conference discounted cost of our room for the week, resort fee, gratuities was $2150 for seven days. That's $300.00/night/room. Our room was "Ocean View" on the 8th floor with a balcony. The size of the room and bathroom was more than adequate. The furnishings were good, but not overly impressive to warrant the $300.00 a night. I do understand that you are paying for the free access to everything on the complex. That being said, the rooms were average. However, the lobbies, the pools, etc. were very impressive. In addition, the upkeep of the grounds was pristine. For the amount of people, there really was very little trash and debris.

In addition, the shower water was not warm enough for me. I am not talking about hot water running out, but hot water not being hot enough for my personal preference. My husband said it was adequate for him, but I like my showers hot. I asked for them to increase the temperature. They increased it to the maximum that their computer system would allow. Let's just say that after allowing the water to run at top heat for three to five minutes, I could leave my hand in the water the entire time.... that's not really hot. They offered to change us to another room, but my husband advised me to check the water temp in that room. There was no difference, so we stayed in our room.

Housekeeping was punctual, very good in cleaning, and very friendly.

The Aquaventure area and pools were nice. For an adrenaline junkie, the slides did not produce a rush for me. However, for young to middle school children these rides would be more than adequate. Parents need not worry about the landing for the children. You land on a very soft padded cushion in about three feet of water.

The free movies at the movie theatre (located in the Coral Towers) was great. My husband and I saw four movies while we were there. They have popcorn and drinks, of course you have to pay, and the seating arrangements were good.

The restaurants are NOT five start gourmet restaurants, believe me I know. With that being said, if you have not eaten at five star gourmet restaurants, you would not know the difference. But believe me, you will have sticker shock. $55.00 for a piece of steak, it better be a taste bud awakening experience! Remember, a 15% tip is already included in the bill. We always tip between 15 to 20%, so this did not bother us.

We ate at the following:

As stated in other previous reviews, the burger, chips and drink for $10.00 at the pools are going to be your best meal purchase. And, to top it off, they were good.

Virgil's Barbecue in the Coral Towers. Moderate prices. Brisket sandwich was great. The onion rings were good. The beef ribs were disappointing, but I am a baby back rib person. We did not order the salads, but they looked good and they were HUGE.
Two people can share one of their meals easily. Great service.

"?" Deli in the Marina Village. Ate there for breakfasts. Prices are higher than one would want to pay for breakfast, but they were good. I had their salmon omelet, more than satisfactory. Great service.

Johnny Rockets. Just a burger place. Nothing special.

Nobu in the Royal Towers. Good sushi, not great. I had their scallops, a bit overdone, but the number of them in the dish made me overlook it. We ate in the bar area, where you don't need reservations. Same prices as the dining area.The prices for their sushi was NOT overly priced. In fact, they were just a smidgen above the normal prices one pays at sushi restaurants. NOTE: expensive drinks. A colleague ordered a warm saki and said it was $19.00 for the small saki. Service in the bar was adequate.

Casino... what can I say, no different than any other casino we've been in.

The aquarium is well worth touring. Being avid divers, we went thru them at least three times, enjoying seeing some of the sea dwellers that we only get to see from afar. It's free, its open all the time, great entertainment.

I would have rated the Atlantis as 4 stars if one of the two things would have existed:
Room furnishings appropriate for price of the room or
Hot water was HOT or
Reasonable pricing for the quality of the food cooked or
Exceptional quality of food to match the pricing of the food.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
The Cove at Atlantis
The Cove at Atlantis
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to The Coral at Atlantis? Share your experiences!