“Great experience”

Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went in the beginning of September and the resort was not crowded, even with many people from cruise ships. Lines to different attraction were short and I never had to wait longer than a couple of minutes.

We stayed at the Coral Towers. In my opinion a great location - close to the casino, Marina Village, movie theater, even Starbucks is in the building. Our room was clean, spacious; we had a comfy bed and with a nice view from the balcony.

We didn't spent fortune on food like we were afraid of. Marina Village is very close to the Coral Towers and has inexpensive places to eat (Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Quiznos, Bimini). I don't remember any names, but there are a few affordable places to eat at the pool area ($11 per person).

What we didn't like was paying $20 per day to get access to the internet. If you just want to check your email you can go to the library where you can use internet for 15 minutes everyday. If that is not enough time there is a way to access the internet without paying crazy $20 daily. Go to Crush (we got a one day pass from the resort) with your own ipad/laptop and the staff will give you a password. Once you get the password you can go to the close by Starbucks and check internet without any time limitations.

Overall a great experience!

1  Thank siechnice

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a great time. This is the first time staying in the Villas. The room and view were beautiful. The staff was excellent. Food is very pricey so I would suggest adding the meal plan in advance to soften the shock when you get there. Even though it is pricey, every meal was excellent!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This was my first time at the Atlantis and I must say that it was the most enjoyable time of my life. Let's start with the room. When I initially booked this trip, my room was in the Beach Tower, upon check-in I was told that I had been upgraded to the Coral Tower :). I was very happy about that. When I reached my room I went to check out the view, not good, all I saw was the side of the other building. Well, I walked back in and noticed a leak, I called Guests Services and the immediately sent someone to check it out. When he came in and saw the leak he said they would change my room, and 5 mins later there was a Bellman there to assist me in changing rooms. They moved me up one floor and to the other side of the tower, this view was AMAZING. I could see both the bridges as well as the ships off to the side, the sunsets were gorgeous from my balcony (which all the rooms had). I took this trip alone (because I have a friend who lives there) and I wasn't bored not one bit, nor did I ever feel unsafe. I am planning on taking my mom next year and I'm sure that trip will be just as nice....PS if you get a chance please do the shallow water dolphin experience...it's well worth the money :)

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank LadyEb74
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We just got back from a 4 night stay in the Coral Towers in Paradise Island Bahamas and I am glad to say that I went but most likely would not go back. The hotel was being painted and rooms were closed but that was expected as it being the off season. Our room was in the front of the building close to the beach and the nurse shark tanks. You heard everything going on in the hallway when your doors were closed. I could not imagine going there during the peak months because we still had to wait in line for all of the water slides and had to make reservations for dinner. The one slide I was looking forward to getting on was closed :( We decided to stay at Atlantis to avoid the $120pp/per day fee they charge to have access to the aquaventure. We did not go to the slide area as much as we expected we stayed mainly by the blu pool; which offered a dj. We packed breakfast and lunch food in a hard suitcase to save a few bucks and also brought a cooler. We got the cab driver to stop at the liquor store on the way there to avoid paying $7=9/drink. At night we did go out to dinner. The first night we went to Bimini Grill which was reasonably priced and offered live music outside on the patio...great for people watching! . We talked to some of the locals and they suggested heading to the Fish Fry for dinner one night. after a $15 cab rid there and back with a greasy dinner we should have just ate dinner at the resort. On our last night we ate at Carmines. We made reservations for 9; did not get sat until 945. The portions are HUGE but be prepared to pay an extra $15 for pasta that you add to your meal. I thought this would have been included! A lot of the nights we ended up in the casino where you get to drink for free but just have to tip the waiters. You get your bill under your door the night before your departure but be prepared for the $37/day fees they tack on. All in all it was a good trip I am glad I can say I went but I would have much rather changed to a 7day all inclusive and just come over to the Atlantis one day to enjoy their amenities.
We talked to a lot of different people and got their experience and concluded for an average family of 4 expect to pay $10k! I am not cheap but thats a bit much for me!

2  Thank KnJ08
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We travelled to Atlantis August 2012 and was pleasantly surprised. I was very nervous after reading the other reviews regarding the room needing upgrades, dirty property and unfriendly staff. I travelled with another adult and a 9 and 12 year old and we all had a great time. I booked 2 connecting rooms at the beach tower and was thinking about upgrading the rooms when we arrived. However, when we checked in we were automatically upgraded to 2 connecting rooms at coral villas. At checking the staff was very friendly and helpful.

We also decided not to purchase the meal plan and I am very happy that we didn't. Yes, the food is very expensive on the resort. if you are a traveller who does not leave the resort then you should absolutely purchase the meal plan. If you are like my family who loves to get out and see what the island has to offer then you can definetly save some money by skipping the meal plan.

Atlantis for us is definetly a once in a lifetime trip because there are so many other place to see in the world. If you can find a good deal you should definetly experience it. I would compare Atlantis to Disney world, pricing is about the same.

I would summarize our trip with the follow.

Room: our connecting rooms at the coral villa were footsteps to the pool. The room was equivalent to a 4 star hotel. They were decorated in Caribbean decor and the floors are tiled. The bathroom was nicely appointed and our room were clean everyday. We cam back to towel made doves and elephants which were very cute.

I have no complaints as I did not experience what the other reviewers were saying. Yes you are paying 5 star hotel prices but keep in mind that the price is not just for the room. It's for the overall experience and the water park. I have travelled to different islands, Europe and U.S. and have stayed in 5 star hotel and want to point out that there is a difference between a 5 star in the Caribbean and U.S..

Food: We opted not to take the meal plan and was very happy as we saved done money. My family members are late risers so we had breakfast at about 11am. There is a dunkin donuts within walking distance to the hotel. I found a lot of the hotel staff member eating there. Breakfast for the 4 of us was $30. We had solid meals such as sandwich on a bagel etc.. This kept us full till dinner time. There is also a plaza within walking distance which had a few stores selling drinks and snacks. We had a refridgerator in our room do we picked up a few things. We ate those snacks between brunch and dinner. For dinner we a place called fish fry which the locals recommended. We took a taxi ride at $4 pp. Fish fry has a few seafood restaurants but u can also get a burger or chicken. Dinner at fish fry for the 4 of us was $60. We ate at Anthony's which is within a short walking distance of hotel. The food was good. The kids loved the pizza. Dinner for the 4 of us cost $90 for the 4 of us. We went to downtown Nassau one day and the kids wanted McDonald's do they had that for dinner and the adults ate at Bimi road which is in Atlantis marina. There is also Quiznos in Atlantis marina but we spent about $50 for sandwiches and drinks.

If you are willing to take a short walk or taxi into Nassau u can avoid spending a lot on food at Atlantis. Keep in mind that Atlantis charges gratuity on everything. We made a purchase at the candy store and was charged the gratuity. If you purchase anything on the resort there is no way of getting around it.

Water park: We did the water park in one day. We all had a great time. It is not spotless but The cleanliness is equivalent to Disney, six flags etc. we saw staff cleaning but keep in mind it is a big place with a lot of visitors. You may walk by and see a napkins on the floor but if you walked back in an hour the area was.

We spent a lot of time at the pool and beach. We went snorkeling off dot which we booked at the hotel when we arrived. It cost $235 for the 4 of us and we had a great time.

Staff: We were always greeted with a smile. We had to call maintance because the battery died on our door lock and they were there within 15 minutes. We had no interaction with any staff that were rude.

I definetly recommend that u experience Atlantis at least once.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank princessinbk
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed at the Atlantis Paradise Island resort from Sept 4-11, 2012 after booking on a great deal offered through Atlantis.com. They were offering 65% off stays 4 nights or longer!. We originally had booked a Beach Tower Terrace view room to get the cheapest price ($98/night) and were surprised to be upgraded to a Coral Tower Oceanview room upon arrival at no additional cost to us. We stayed on the 11th floor at the far end of the Coral Tower so it was nice and quiet with beautiful views.
I was a bit apprehensive about our vacation before our arrival after reading a lot of negative reviews here on trip advisor. We are seasoned cruisers but this was the first resort vacation (non all inclusive) that we booked. My fears were all for naught and my Husband and I have decided that all the negative reviews must have come from travellers who expect absolute gorgeous luxury for a super cheap price??!! Reviews stated that everything was dated, expensive, staff were rude etc...we found none of that to be true. Our room - Coral Tower Ocean View Non-smoking King bed - was very spacious, nicely appointed, excellent closets, lots of clean towels, in room starbucks coffee (single cup brew coffee machine), in room safe, beautiful view and clean. We never saw the room attendant but everytime we put the Maid service sign on the door we would come back and the room was clean. I had read reviews about things being stolen and I am happy to say that we left out money for the room attendant and she didn't even take it. If you are worried at all about safety and security of your belongings I would say DON'T BE. The bathroom was a nice sunny yellow with a large granite (or marble maybe) vanity, bathtub and nice water pressure in the shower. The only problem was that there was no cabinets or shelves in our washroom so all of our toiletries were just placed on the countertop (I prefer to put things away) but no big deal really. The balcony is large enough to accomodate two patio chairs and a small patio table and was nice to stand out and enjoy the view of the river pool/lazy river/ ocean and nurse shark lagoon.
The grounds of the resort are beautiful and well kept, we noticed every morning the grounds crew were out tidying up, weeding ,re-mulching, mowing etc to keep everything looking great. There are so many lagoons and aquariums to look at it will keep you busy for hours.
The pools are excellent - there are so many we were there for 7 days and visited a different one each day - some days we split and spent some time at the beach and then pool hopped for different atmospheres. We were a bit worried about the cruise passengers encroaching on the Atlantis experience as other travellers have complained about that in the past but we were happily surprised that they didnt bother us at all - even one day had 6 ships with 16000 passengers and we barely even noticed them. There are a lot of places that you have to show your room card to access so the cruisers stick to the Aquaventure and the Beach only. I think the trick is to travel to Atlantis in a bit of the off season to make the resort traffic less overall. Our thoughts on each pool are:
- Unfortunately the River Pool, Poseidon's Kids pool and Lazy River Ride were closed and we were informed that they will remain closed until November - if you are planning to stay in the beach tower, take this into account when booking as the next closest pool is the Blu Pool and its a bit of a walk from the Beach Tower.
- The Blu Pool had a DJ playing top 40 hits from 12-5 each day, the water is very warm, there are a few deck beds if you like, tonnes of lounge chairs, the Blu grill with a bar and food if you are hungry with some high-top tables if you prefer to eat there instead of at your chair.
- The Royal Bath's pool was the busiest that we experienced but it seemed that there was some sort of conference or something by a company named Oracle so their food and wine village was located on the decks of this pool, their special towel hut and the pool was transformed with the Oracle logo. Of course, the pool was still open to all guests but we found the majority to be members of the Oracle group. This pool got a bit deeper than the Blu Pool but only about 5 feet overall. This pool also had plenty of chairs, and the eatery Dive In was located right beside it.
- The Mayan Temple pool is where we spent a lot of time, there are some small kids slides that empty into this pool, it has a deeper end that is cordoned off for those who are unsure swimmers and has a few waterfalls with caves behind for some private lounging. This pool had a lot of chairs available, tables and umbrellas. There is a towel hut close by, a few eating huts, restrooms and lockers nearby. This pool is located right by the Mayan Temple which houses some of the waterslides including the Leap of Faith and the Serpent Slide that goes through the Shark Tank. This pool requires a bit of maintenance as the bottom needs to be resurfaced but overall doesn't affect it at all. I only noticed because I read complaints about it from other travellers.
- The Grotto pool is a smaller version of the Mayan Temple pool which we found to be virtually empty almost all of the time, it is nice for some quiet relaxation or just to float around if you have small children. It also had waterfalls but no caves in behind them. This pool is right beside the Mayan Temple but doesn't have as much space for lounge chairs. Later in the afternoon, this pool is shaded so you can enjoy the pool without the sun.
- The Bath's pool was very far away but worth the walk - you can get to it from the Rapids ride or you can walk to it along the beach or follow the winding adventure trails. It is very large and was also very quiet - it is right off Cove beach so you can hear the waves coming in. We found a DJ playing at this pool in the afternoons that we visited it. Lots of available deck chairs, eating areas, towel hut and washrooms were in the direct vicinity - there was a bit of construction as it appeared they were putting in some platforms for either deck beds or more cabanas.
- The tube rides that were open were very fun - the Rapids/Current takes about 25 minutes to go around and is very fun, the slides accessed from the Rapids are the Falls, the Drop, the Surge - each are very fun and we never had to wait longer than 2 or 3 tubes ahead of us - to get on.
Dolphin Cay was excellent, we both did a shallow water interaction and the trainers are fabulous, they allow each guest the opportunity to have their photo taken (by their photographer) kissing and hugging the dolphin and both my Husband and I got an extra opportunity to dance or pet the dolphin. We went seperately thinking the other could take pictures so we didn't have to buy the photo package which worked out but we ended up buying the package anyways - The packages range from $50 to about $200. We paid $169 and received: a USB lanyard with all the photos taken of us, 2 - 8x10 prints, 2 - 6x9 prints, 4 - 5x7 prints, 6 - 4x6 prints, an 8x10 leather Dolphin Cay frame, and a glass 4x6 Dolphin Cay frame. Overall i think the price is on par with any other amusement park photo package. If you are participating in an interaction you have access to Dolphin Cay beach which is secluded with beautiful white sand and beach chairs - the only drawback is that you are unable to go in the water unless you are actively participating in an interaction. It was nice though to view the dolphins while I was waiting for my husband, you can watch other interactions up close, see them training dolphins in the back part, and just watch the other dolphins playing around.
The Atlantis theatre was fun, we saw 4 movies there over the 8 days - they have theatre seating and a concession stand that sells lots of junk food - the package prices seemed reasonable ($8.50 for a popcorn, bag of chips (individual size), chocolate bar and fountain pop), the popcorn was a bit small for my husbands liking but you are also able to bring in your own snacks if you like.
The Casino had a wide array of slot machines and lots of table games for those interested but it is a smoking venue so if you are sensitive to smoke you may wish to avoid it.

All of the staff that we encountered were very friendly and helpful when required. We didn't come across one staff member in any area of the hotel that was rude.

Now for the food - we DID NOT purchase a meal plan and we were happy that we didn't - we rarely spent more than $100/day on food for 2 people so the $150 price tag attached to the lower end meal plan didn't seem worth it at all especially since you still have to pay gratuity and you are limited in your dining choices.

Atlas Bar and Grill - very nice, located inside the Casino. Prices appeared to be between $15-$30. We both had sandwiches which were very good and provided enough to bring leftovers back to the room

Anthonys Bar and Grill - located just off site has breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ate there for dinner, I had a grilled chicken sandwich and my husband had Chicken and Ribs - both were very reasonably priced, were very good although the service there is a bit slower so if you are in a hurry - perhaps choose somewhere else.

Murray's Deli - located in the Marina Village was delicious!! Wide variety of sandwiches and comfort foods with the sandwiches (served with fries) about $18 each with entrees going as high as $30. Huge portions - you could probably split if going for lunch or lighter supper. We ate here twice and I had the Hot RoastBeef Sandwich (SO GOOD!!!), the Big Beef Dip sandwich which was also very good. Once you order you are given a bowl of dill pickles and a sour tomato. The dills were good and my husband assured me the tomato was good as well but looked a bit weird for my liking :).

The Marina Pizzeria was DELICIOUS!!!! We ordered the Meat pizza and it was huge. If you order a whole pizza it is ready within 10 -15 minutes and you can take it to eat outside along the marina or back to your room. 12 inch was the medium and was approx $21, 18 inch was the large and was about $32. Pizza is also available by the slice for $6.75.

Carmines is also located in the Marina Village and serves family style food. With there only being two of us, we could only get 1 dish so we weren't bogged down with leftovers. After ordering you are given a basket of different breads with olive oil/garlic for dipping which was delicious. We ordered the lasagna which was also excellent and was approximately 4-5 portions. We had found a menu with prices online but the prices had been increased we found out so the lasagna was $48 (which is about $12 per portion if you are looking at it per plate). They have a lot of options although if you choose a meat option (Chicken, Veal, Beef etc) they don't come with pasta but you have the option of adding a plain pasta to the order for an additional $15. Just a warning - if you are dining with less than 4 people, you may want to skip the appetizer - we noticed other tables ordered the ceasar salad which appeared to be able to feed 8-10 people for a starter, and the garlic bread (which i originally wanted but my Husband wisely talked me out of) had 12-15 large french bread pieces.

Virgils BBQ was also served family style for dinner so take that into account if planning on attending. We ordered the Trainwreck fries which taste exactly like potato skins (from a pub) and the Fried chicken - the trainwreck fries provide enough for 4-5 people and the plate of chicken included 4 breasts, 2 legs, 4 thighs and 4 wings. Both options were delicious!

To save some money we ate at Dunkin Donuts each morning for breakfast - being from Canada, we don't have Dunkin Donuts but we were pleasantly surprised at the breakfast options. There are breakfast wraps (about kid sized) with ham, bacon or sausage with egg & cheese for $1.99 or breakfast sandwiches with ham, bacon or sausage with egg and cheese served on your choice of english muffin, bagel, french roll, or croissant for $4.99. The bagels were delicious (I just had a bagel with Cream cheese a few mornings). The donuts and muffins seemed a bit expensive though (almost $15 for 12 donuts or $10 for 4 muffins). They have a large variety of coffee drinks too if you are not interested in going to Starbucks - I liked the Iced Coffee although prefered with light sugar :)

If we didn't have leftovers from the previous night's dinner we ate at the eating areas around the pool - for the best prices go for the value menu deals - they package either hot dog, burger, wrap, grilled chicken sandwich with either fries or potato chips (depending on the place) and a fountain pop for $9 - $11. The excellent thing about these fountain pops is that they are refillable. Just take your cup back up and refill at the fountain pop machine - we kept our cups for a few days and then bought another one. This saves a lot of money and also made ice available for our water bottle all the time.

The water at the resort does have a bit of a taste but a lot of restaurants will serve 'house water' to you when you sit down. When served cold I barely noticed it at all. If you are looking to buy water however, go to the Paradise Island shopping village across the street (by Dunkin Donuts and Anthony's) and buy the 4L jugs for $1.99. We bought 4 and we had enough for 2 people for 8 days.

Travel tips:
Bring a travel cooler with you - this helps to keep leftovers from previous nights dinners cold while at the pool/beach, there are ice machines on every floor so you can fill the cooler with ice and then have cold drinks brought from your room all day at the pool

Bring reusable drink cups or water bottles - having water available in your cooler or bag will make you less likely to spend $3.50 on a 500ml bottle by the pool

Bring snacks with you from home to help keep lunch prices down - we brought roasted nuts, granola bars, chips, nutrigrain bars etc with us from home and just brought some with us each day just in case.

Travel in the off season - we found the resort to be sparsely populated, never had any problem finding a spot on the beach or by the pool and never had to wait for a tube or wait in line for the slides

Check ahead of time with the resort to ensure which pools are open. We were a bit disappointed to find the closest pool was closed but quickly found another pool close by. If you are travelling with children, the pool closures may turn out to be a disappointment/hassle

Realize you are on holidays in a caribbean island so some service might be slower than you are used to. Just relax, enjoy the company you are in and take in the beauty of the island

Go with the knowledge that food may be a bit more expensive than you are used to at home but you don't have to spend an arm and a leg. We knew ahead of time so we weren't surprised when a fresh fruit plate (quite large though) cost $8.

Remember, 15% gratuity is added to all food/beverage bills so they've taken the math out of the equation for you :) If you are used to tipping the recommended minimum in Canada anyways this will be no problem or issue for you at all!

Remember to bring your hats/sunscreen with you because it is VERY EXPENSIVE - if looking to purchase sunscreen at the resort, expect to pay approx $31, if you find it off site it is still approx $17.

Book a transfer from the Airport to the hotel - it takes all guesswork out of the travel and they provide you with an airconditioned coach and even provided an island tour/history while travelling.

Souvenirs didn't appear to be cheaper off site so just look around to find the best souvenir and don't worry about shopping around for prices - we did that and just ended up buying the majority at Atlantis anyways.

Check the daily Atlantean guide for activities and if you are interested find out which days they offer them - we waited too long and then found some of the activities aren't offered every day.

As long as you are on vacation to relax, have fun and enjoy the beautiful island - Atlantis will be a wonderful choice for you.
If you are looking for super luxury - do yourself a favour - don't be cheap and think that you can pay the least amount of money and stay in the least expensive tower the resort has to offer (The Beach Tower) and still get the absolute best - pay the money and stay in the Cove - you'll be much happier and then the rest of the travellers who have reasonable expectations won't be misguided by your reviews.

Atlantis was an excellent choice for a nice relaxing vacation for my Husband and I

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and if possible, choose a water view - the Ocean is beautiful!