“great hotel but very expensive”

The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
ireland
“great hotel but very expensive”
Reviewed March 11, 2009

myself and my wife went and stayed at the cove for 2 weeks .the hotel you could not fault one bit it was top class the best i have ever stayed.the staff where very friendly .the only thing i would say is the whole resort was very expensive and in september half the resort was closed so very little to do at night time.i played golf which again was expensive bur worth it.do not go here on a buget.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
Connecticut
Reviewed March 10, 2009

We flew down to the Bahamas for a quick 5d/4n vacation to relax and have fun. How could you go wrong with The Cove Atlantis? First, you definitely need to do your research ahead of time. This is not the place to vacation on a budget. It is expensive. I rated The Cove as 3 stars for value because it is very expensive but we got exactly what we thought we'd get. We splurged and got a Club Ocean Suite on the 20th floor. You get exclusive access to the Club Lounge on the 22nd floor. Let me tell you, if you are traveling without kids, this almost justifies the cost. The staff in the lounge treat you like royalty. It is quiet with all the great views that a top level floor at Atlantis can offer. A very nice continental breakfast is included, there are snacks at other times of the day for you to enjoy, and there is a "Happy Hour" from 5pm - 7pm with complimentary drinks. It's so nice to get away from the rat-race here. By the way, we did the The Cove Gourmet meal plan but still had breakfast up in the Club Lounge each morning.

Our room was clean and had a fantastic view. The bed was great and comfortable, the furniture, while hotel style, was clearly a notch above. The bathroom was so very nice, all marble and mirrors. Our room lacked a whirlpool tub. That was a bit of a letdown but it was a huge separate tub. The shower was all glass tiles with a marble floor and gorgeous. The sinks and mirrors were spotless.

From the moment we walked in to check everyone at The Cove was so friendly and always greeted you with a smile. From the Club Lounge Concierge to the employee manning the towl buildings, everyone made sure you were having a great time. We were surprised to never find a soul with a frown on their face.......obviously Atlantis wouldn't allow this.

We didn't partake in The Cain pool but it is a beautifully designed pool in a gorgeous setting. There is another pool exclusive to The Cove residents, Cascades? Breakers? Anyway, when the shade of the setting sun takes over other pools, Cove residents can move to the pool between The Cove and The Reefs and get sun until it sets. How fantastic is that?

Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill was very good. The appetizer and dessert were world class. The entree, while very good, was underseasoned, which surprised us since it was Flay's restaurant, known for bold flavors. Casa D'Angelo's was a complete letdown and we'd never go back. Service was good but it was so loud and the kids were rolling in the isles. We didn't realize until later that this is one of the "fine dining" options that allows kids under 6. The Grouper Oreganata was barely passable, the lemon glop underneath near disgusting. We ate at Mosaic a couple nights because it offered so much. The sushi was dry and wouldn't waste your time on that but everything was very good. Gosh, the pasta station's alfredo sauce (I added shrimp and scallop) was literally a highlight of the entire stay! No kidding.

Othewise, we had a great time in the water park. The park's water temperature was fine as it was "only" in the mid-70's for most our stay. In fact it was warm. The pools were phenomenal and sparkling clean. The beaches were pristine and the ocean tolerable for this time of the year. We'd recommend The Cove and are looking forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JCGConnecticut
nyc
Reviewed March 6, 2009

For over $800/nite at the Cove, it wasn't the upscale, exclusive getaway experience you might expect -- we overlooked the "Atantis" spring break/tacky family vacay connection. Issues:
1. They treat you like children, not valued guests - hospital bracelets must be worn to get into the adults only Cain pool area and other pools that cruise crashers try to access.
2. hip hop/rap music blasting(!) by the Cain pool all day long... pool is packed... so you meet your neighbors and learn their mutual disappointment/dissatisfaction w. music and prices and food quality and service.
3. alcohol is less expensive in Bahamas yet drinks are $20/each at the pool; food is horrible - $22 for hamburger patty ordred medium rare and was grey inside. salmon sandwich was fishy.
4. Corner suite had nice vistas - but had stained upholstery and walls were smudged. Need better upkeep/housekeeping.

Had good meal at Mesa Grill ($100/pp) and below avg at Casa D'Angelo ($125/pp) and okay at Nobu and Chop Stix. But, eating w/ families was not what we had in mind. SeaGlass Bar was nicely decorated/designed.

Best part of Cove is the picture on their website of the open foyer. The architecture of 'common spaces'' nicely done and tropical zen-like;

• Liked — quick flight
  • Disliked — big resort with all types of guests - kids, spring breakers, families,
  • Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank reevue
Jersey City
Reviewed March 5, 2009

Review of Atlantis: The Cove

Just returned from a 4-night stay (Feb 27-Mar 3) and wanted to give my 2 cents. My husband and I are in our 30s, no kids, and were looking for a splurge get-away. Overall, the vacation fulfilled every expectation. The weather was gorgeous (sunny and 75 degrees 3 out of 4 days; on the “cold” day it was 65…) The service was impeccable; despite the winter’s layoffs, there were still quite a number of service employees given the number of guests. The resort was very quiet and because of the economy, we didn’t have to wait in any lines. And we had no problems making reservations at a number of places the day before or day of.

The Cove: At first I balked at paying $750/night for a room but after reading lots of great reviews, I caved in. Was it worth it? Definitely. The Cove was spectacular. Gorgeous building design and interior. The lobby is breathtaking. The rooms are top notch; comparable to anything you’d find at a NY or SF Ritz or Four Seasons. All the rooms have a sitting area and two flat screens. The bathroom was spacious (two rooms, shower and bath) and again top notch. Service is to match. Fresh towels every day and turn-down service every evening in addition to housekeeping in the morning.

The Cain Pool: This is the adults-only pool at The Cove. It was packed on Saturday & Sunday but relatively quiet Monday & Tuesday. The pools are lovely w/dark blue bottoms and there are lots of trees; very picturesque. However, personally I found the scene on the pretentious side – tons of greasy-looking older men with young plastic women. And we got chastised by an older man who had claimed some chairs. (Beware! If there’s a yellow towel down, someone’s sitting there!) We ended up spending most days at the next door open pool shared by The Cove and The Reef. The beach fronted the pools which was nice.

Food: Lots of reviewers have mentioned how expensive food is. Yes it’s expensive but they’re actually quite comparable to NYC prices--$3.75 for a bottle of water, $18 for a burger, etc. It’s the same if you go to Disneyworld. Definitely get a dining plan if you can. We didn’t realize the dining plan option requires booking 3 days in advance so we missed out. Which was awful because they were actually discounting the gourmet meal plan from $99 to $79 pp! We coped by having breakfast buffet ($25 at Marketplace, $27.50 at Mosaic), light snacks for lunch, and full dinners ($150-200 for the two of us), so about $200-300 a day. For buffet, I advise Mosaic (much nicer than Marketplace in the Royal Towers) and only a few dollars more. If you want to get a great deal on lunch or dinner, go down to the Marina. Marina Pizzeria has great pizza slices for $8! And there’s a Marketplace Deli there too (we didn’t try it but it looked reasonable). If you’re a big drinker, there are tons of liquor shops right on the other side of the bridge in Nassau; stop there before you come over. For dinner, we ate at Nobu and Bahamian Club. Both were fine. At the Bahamian Club, we got the chateaubriand—definitely worth it! Get the coconut crème brulee for dessert! Nobu was really expensive and not much food, no surprise there. The best part I thought was the dessert. Lots of reviewers have raved about Mesa Grill. We decided to skip it because we recently went to the one in NYC. We also had a reservation at Dune but ended up canceling because we couldn’t motivate to get out there. (We did end up seeing The One and Only Club by day. It was nice but extremely quiet (very Newport, RI) and definitely not worth the $300-700 premium they charge over The Cove.)

Dolphin Interaction: The dolphin interaction was really cool. We had a young 2-year old dolphin named Missy who was absolutely adorable. We paid $75/pp (on sale) and it was definitely worth it. We booked it well in advance which we heard was recommended and the whole experience was smooth and easy, 1 hr and 15 min from beginning to end.

Mandara Spa: First rate facilities – steam room, sauna, heated pool, aromatherapy room. The service was great and the atmosphere lovely. I got a Swedish Massage--$125 for 50 minutes. Good massage—not spectacular but not bad either. If you want to visit the spa without getting a service, you can pay a $20 flat fee.

Nassau: Last but not least, we spent one afternoon in Nassau. Lots of shops on Bay Street and with a very lively air. Hit the Straw Market and bought some cheap T-shirts. Senor Frog’s was right outside the Straw Market and it was hopping. A little too spring break-y for us but it was worth seeing. Tons of places selling Cuban cigars. My husband bought one ($13) and smoked it that night on the balcony; and wished he’d bought two… Walked up to Fort Finlay and the Queen’s Staircase. It was nice to do something a little “historic” even if it was a bit anticlimactic. Ate at Café Matisse which had amazing handmade gnocchi.

Taxis: It cost $34 to go from the airport to The Cove, $15 from The Cove to downtown (which I think was a ripoff since other reviewers have mentioned paying as little as $5), and $32 to go from The Cove to the airport. Seems like the cab drivers practice some “variable” pricing. US dollars are accepted everywhere.

Money: We didn’t really need cash while on the Atlantis property since you could charge everything to your room. One thing that drove me crazy was people trying to charge things using their pool wrist bracelets. Get in the habit of just taking your room card everywhere and be prepared to show it; it’s Atlantis’ way of making sure that day visitors can’t access the resort amenities. 15% gratuity is automatically added to everything (20% at the spa). We added a few dollars to some charges (dinner for instance) to make it 20%. After reading other people’s reviews, I was sure to review our charges every night (they make it really easy for you---your account is accessible via the TV menu), and there were no problems at all.

Overall Impression: Great trip! Expensive but worth the money

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jbender
Rhode Island
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I have a firm practice of always checking Tripadvisor before booking a hotel. The reviews for the Cove seem to be generally accurate. The physical facility is fantastic and as good as any five star resort I have ever stayed at, if not better. The rooms were comfortable, exceptionally clean with spectacular views. The staff was friendly and attentive. Yes, everything was expensive, but not more than you would expect from a resort of this caliber. The adults only pool was as described and very comfortable. The restaurants at the Atlantis complex are expensive but the food is generally good. We did not have a meal plan, but before we left we checked with several staff members who agree it is the way to go. In fact there are new programs that will be available soon that include breakfast and dinner for not a lot more that breakfast alone.

I cannot say enough good things about the resort and look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RIguy_7
Chania Town, Greece
Reviewed February 10, 2009

What a great resort, on a great island, in a great country surrounded by super friendly people. I loved this resort and all its amenities, especially the lazy river - I didn't want to leave! If I had of had an endless supply of money I wouldn't have either!

This place is truly special. Great for couples on romantic getaways, or people who like to live the "good life". I wouldn't recommend the Cove to families or anyone with children. Its expensive and out of the reach for everyday families. And there is an adult's only pool, (as well as another pool open to all ages) which does not cater for children. Also the children's activities are on the other side of the resort (so best to stay in the reef).

The staff here are super friendly. This was my first trip to The Bahamas and I loved the laid back friendly nature of everyone.

The room was gorgeous. A massive bathroom, with a large shower. The room overlooked the Atlantic and the beautiful surrounding beaches. You could lie in bed and see straight out to the ocean - superb.

The only dissappointing fact was the queue for breakfast... As they are suffering with the Economic crisis they have closed big portions of the resort, thus at breakfast time there were queues to eat. Fortunately we went back to the Cove and got a table fairly quickly, but not after having to wait 20 minutes in a queue in the main resort (Reef) that didn't go down. Alot of frustrated people hungry for breakfast.

My only other peice of advise is that if you're on a budget - do not come here... it's expensive - from the rooms, to the food and drinks etc. But if you are thinking of splurging on a special occassion this is definately the resort for you! I can't wait to go back...

• Liked — Loved the lazy river, beautiful surroundings and the view from the room...
  • Disliked — The prices... but if you want to splurge it's worth it!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank travellingall
oakville, ontario
Reviewed February 6, 2009

Ive taken so much from this site, I thought its finally time to give back, just sorry it took so long......so onto the review.
Let me start by saying this was one of the most delux, romantic vacations I have ever been on. My wife and I went to Wynn Las Vegas 2 years ago and I didnt think I would ever come across something to rival the luxuriousness of the Wynn and I would rate The Cove right up there.
I was hesitant to book this trip because as im sure many of you have noticed, the #1 complaint about the Atlantis complex as a whole is PRICE, so lets address this first.
PRICE: For starters we booked our trip online through Orbitz.com and booked our flight seperately, also online, if you take a day to shop around it will pay off! I googled "Orbitz discount codes" and found a code that saved us $500 off our price for a 1 week stay, I did the same for airlines and saved an additional $200 off our flight just by having a promo code.
As far as The Cove goes, it is the most expensive of all the seperate buildings on the Atlantis property, exluding the deluxe rooms in the main towers ---- is it worth it to pay the extra money for The Cove? YES YES YES. Let me clarify, i was on my honeymoon and wanted luxury, serenity, etc. The Cove delivered, it has a more upscale feel right when you walk in the lobby. It was one of the few towers that offered a seperate bath tub and shower, not a big deal, but adds to the romance of your trip. The beaches and general area surrounding The Cove has waaaaay less traffic than the normal area and way less kids. I will warn you now, the general Atlantis towers are a zoo, its busy all the time and there is a big mix of kids and families, still nice, but very different from The Cove. It has an exclusive pool "The Cain" this is the type of pool scene you see in entertainment magazines and on tv, there was not another pool anywhere on the Atlantis property that came anywhere close to it and it is very strictly monitored for The Cove guests only.
The room was to die for, extra big and comfy king size bed.
Back to price - my wife and I went with a daily budget and we stuck to it religiously, if you do not go down with a strict budget I promise you, you will set yourself up for disappointment or spend waaaaay more than you expected. Being used to all inclusive vacations, going somewhere were everything is a la carte takes some planning, unless you have TONS of money and your not concerned. Make a decision on whats a priority and then map out your money, for example, if you want to eat at a 5 star restaurant every night, maybe you should save some money on buying alcohol during the day, etc.
OUR PLAN: We're dinner people so we saved on breakfast and lunch.
Breakfast - we walked 20 minutes every morning to the Atlantis Marina Village to have Jugo Juice every morning. 2 extra large fruit smoothies, a bagel and an egg sandwich was roughly $17. If you want to eat at a restaurant for breakfast be prepared to pay $20-$25 per person for a buffet.
Lunch - heres where The Cove gets sneaky - all drink and beach snack bars surrounding the Cove property are priced roughly $2 more per item - this includes fries, beers even pop. Sooooo, moral is dont be lazy, walk 4 minutes to the next beach stand and get your lunch there. Most days my wife and I split lunch.
Drinks - here it is as honest as I can give it, if your used to drinking all inclusive and plan to do the same, bring your piggy bank! 2 mixed drinks at the Cain pool cost $24, I repeat, thats $12 a drink!!!! To combat this my wife and I walked to the local market, 20 minute walk just outside the marina, we bought 6 pack cans of Corona ($10), a cooler ($15) and a bottle of red wine for every other night ($12/bottle). Having a little ingenuity saved us a lot of money that we could then spend on more important things than booze.
Dinner - as far as our budget went we split our nights into casual, nice and deluxe. We saved money a few nights so we could go big on other nights. One night we ordered a large pizza from Dominos, breadsticks and a bottle of red wine from the liquor store, total cost $30, we walked our pizza down to the beach, lit a couple of candles and ate in front of the ocean. The deluxe meals we ate were ate NOBU and MESA GRILL, dinner for 2 plus drinks and appetizer was $250 for both restaurants. We ate very well at both restaurants, and I would recommend either one, they were A+
For our "nice restaurants" we ate at Carmen's in the Marina Village. Heres some tips for Carmens, first, you need a reservation! My wife and I ended up sitting at the bar and eating, which meant we walked right in, but for someone whos picky about getting a table do some planning. Also the portions are HUGE and everything is geared towards feeding an entire family. Garlic bread w/cheese as an appetizer - 10 PIECES! Penne a la vodka (which was freakin amazing) was literally enough for 4 people. Do yourselves a favour, find a good pasta and split the meal, dont be embarassed, lots of people do it, and ordering 2 meals I assure you, you will waste money and food. Our other 2 "nice" meals were spent off resort @ Cafe Matisse and The Poop Deck. I wont go into detail, but I will say this about both places, service A+, Value A+, Food A+ and Experience A+. They were reasonably priced and I beg you, if you go to the Bahamas get off the resort and eat at one of these restaurants, there are good people in the Bahamas, these are places the locals eat and you can experience a nice night out and a little culture.
Property: the Atlantis property as a whole was incredible and offers waaaay more entertainment than most resorts. The water park is out of this world, its probably the best water park ive ever been to and of course is included with your stay. They have aquatic life everywhere which is incredible and the grounds are kept very clean.
Service: Lets set this straight, service is as good as any other resort youve been to. Other reviews are in an uproar that you pay 15% tip on everything (yes even a bottle of water) and they think that means it should come on a silver platter. So there it is, go to Atlantis knowing that you HAVE to tip, dont think it entitles you to the world and you will get average service with a smile. Saying that, the service at MESA and NOBU was next level, but again dinner cost $250.
Excursions: First, if you have snorkel equipment bring it from home, theres half decent snorkelling that you can do right off the Atlantis beach, free of course with your own gear.
We went on the Exuma Island Adventure and it cost about $100 each. It took a good portion of the day and involves an hour boat ride to the Exumas, lunch and unlimited drinks included and you do some fun stuff, do some research and youll know if its for you or not. My only word of advice on this, there are 2 tours offering the same thing, I believe the other tour is Power Boat Tours, the difference being Power Boat does shark wrangling, which looks a lot more exciting than what we did, which was toss food over a fence to sharks down below, so basically, if your going on one I would recommend the Power Boat, looks more exciting!
Finally, we walked down the beach, bartered a little and rented a ski-doo for 30 minutes, nothing speical but had a great time, roughly $80 I think.

So thats it, it was a vacation of a life time. It cost more than any other vacation ive been on, but I didnt spend a dime more than I planned on, so I walked away happy feeling like I got what I paid for and some great memories. The Atlantis website is a very good guide to how much you will spend on food and you can draw up a pretty accurate budget before you go down.

Trip Advisor has always been a great help for my travel decisions so if anyone has any questions at all please email and ask!
Happy travelling!

Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!