“Let me break it down for you...”

The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I'm one of those people who does research before staying/eating/visiting a place. I appreciate reviews on sites like this. I REALLY appreciate those reviewers that don't just say what they liked or didn't liked, but that give me the inside scoop or bits of advice to make my stay better. So, that's what I'm gonna do here. If you don't want the details, skip this review.

I recently returned from my first trip to Atlantis. There was a large group staying at The Cove for a wedding. The ages ranged from late 20's (the "kids") to mid 50's (the parents) to late 70's (the grandparent). From what I could tell, everyone had a great time and really enjoyed the Atlantis property.

Check-In: My husband handled the majority of this, but it seemed to go very smoothly. We shared a room (on the 7th floor with a view of the bay/main area of the water park) with another couple. The woman who checked us in issued two sets of room keys: one for us that was linked to our credit card, and one set for the other couple that was linked to their credit card. This was VERY helpful. I also requested a refrigerator for our room at this time. 10 minutes after we got to our room, it arrived. I highly recommend requesting one. More on that later...

Rooms: Our room was at the very end of the hall next to the Sapphire suite, so we didn't have many neighbors. The bathroom is HUGE, which was really nice. The room was clean. Could the furniture use updating? Sure. But, let's be honest. You aren't there to lounge on the sofa. Make nice with your cleaning lady and get free bottled waters from here for your fridge. You will be glad you did! We went to our friends room and noticed they had a burlap "Cove" bag. We asked a cleaning lady about them, and she gladly gave us each one. It came in really handy to cart stuff back and forth to the pool.

Cain Pool: This is where we all (yes, parents and grandparent, too) spent most of our time. The day beds require a reservation and fee (I believe I heard a waitress say it's $500 a day). I went down around 9 (when it opens) on most days to get a group of chairs since there were so many of us. A lot of the good chairs already had towels on them when I got there, which had been set up by the pool attendants (I'm not sure if you can call ahead and ask them to reserve chairs or what. I never did figure out that "system".). I asked to make sure they were taken. If there wasn't a towel, they were fair game. We actually ended up scoring five chairs in the water each day. I believe each day bed reservation comes with five chairs. Since the chairs were next to a bed, I'm guessing people thought they couldn't sit there without renting the bed. Nope! So, if you see them empty, grab them. If you're unsure, ask one of the attendants. We left our things during the day to go to the water park, and nothing was ever out of place when we returned. Obviously, don't leave anything too valuable laying around. The days I was there, the party didn't really get started until 4 or so. Yes, they play music all day. Yes, it's loud, and at times can be repetitive. But, what are you gonna do? From the reviews I read, this is a big issue for a lot of people. If you aren't into the loud music and party atmosphere (which really depends on the people), then maybe hit the beach or try a different pool. I must say, it was nice not having kids around. They do have cabanas around the pool, which might be a quieter option, if you have the money to spend. No idea on the price of that, though. Service is hit or miss. There were two days we had consistent servers. I found it easier to just go to the bar myself and get a drink. I didn't drink much during the day, so maybe that's why I didn't find the lack of service that annoying. The only big downside for me is that the pool closes at 6, including the bars and restaurant.

Drinks: Yes, they are expensive. I knew this would be the case ahead of time by reading reviews. Our group decided to purchase liquor before hand. We packed it in our checked luggage. TSA allows 5 liters per checked bag. There are restrictions when it comes to the proof of liquor, so double check their site before purchasing any. This is where the fridge came in handy. I packed a box of wine to drink in the room while getting ready and visiting the rooms of the rest of our group. We knew this trip would be expensive, but I'll save a buck where I can, and I'm not into fifteen dollar glasses of wine. We also brought vodka and bourbon, and picked up mixers and beer at a store on the way to the hotel. I believe a case of Bud Light was around $40. Some of the people in our group made drinks from their personal stash at the pool. So, that's an option if you don't want to pay $13 for a margarita.

Food: The breakfast buffet at Mosaic was awesome. We ate their twice. Yes, it is expensive, but there is so much to choose from. I wouldn't recommend going hungover, like some of the members of our group did, because you will NOT get your money's worth. The pool restaurant opens at 11. I HIGHLY recommend the fish tacos. So yummy. That's the only thing I ate from that restaurant. I realized that the food at other restaurants/grills around the water park were a lot cheaper. A flatbread at one place was $9, but $22 at the Cain Pool. Exact same flatbread, which was really good. We only ate dinner at an Atlantis restaurant twice (we had attended a rehearsal dinner and wedding the other two nights). First, we ate at Olive's in the casino. We showed up without a reservation and were told it would be over an hour wait. A friend managed to sweet talk his way to a table, thankfully. GET RESERVATIONS EARLY! I had the grouper with a lemon caper sauce. Amazing. The rest of the group had a pasta with red sauce and seafood. Unimpressive. The last night we ate at Nobu. The atmosphere is really fun, and the appetizers and sake were great. Everyone had sushi as a main course, and it didn't match up to the price tag. I've heard their non-sushi entrees are really good, and I wish we had gone that route. They do have little gift shops here and there that have snacks, but I packed a few packs of crackers and granola bars to snack on when I didn't want a meal. If you do decide to venture off-site to eat dinner, check out Luciano's. It's a wonderful Italian restaurant that sits on the water.

Water Park: Get a wristband (you'll need your room key) to go on the rides. There are little huts around the park, and one right outside of Cain Pool. No one told us about that, so we figured it out the hard way. The River Rapids ride was by far our favorite. Go to the entrance (follow the signs) to snag a tube. They had them stacked for you to grab. If you go to another drop off spot, you have to get a tube as someone gets off. I'm not one for the fast slides, so I didn't care of Abyss. Everyone else seemed to love it. I heard the ride that goes through the shark tank is a bust. Between your speed and the water in your eyes, you can't see anything. I only really noticed a busy crowd at the water park on Sunday. Other than that, the lines weren't very long and it wasn't that crowded.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
18  Thank VictoriaTN

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I really want to give this property the 5 stars that it deserves. However, the spectacular property was over shadowed by the worthless, miserable, unprofessional staff at this resort.

Lets start with the PROS:
The property is world class. Absolutely breathtaking
The beach is beautiful
the intricate details used to create this property deserve serious respect.
The water park is awesome!
The aquarium is a piece of art, also the largest private aquarium in the world.
The rooms are very nice and clean.

Now the CONS:
From the moment we stepped onto the property, we were dealing with bell men all joking and not ready to give good direction.
We went inside for check in, the lady acted like she was doing us a favor. She wouldn't even give us proper directions to the elevator. "Go outside, make right, make left and you will see it" REALLY???
I am paying $980 a night for this service. We wanted to grab a few drinks by the pool around 5pm, however, the pool attendants told us because of the "weather" they were closing early. We walked to the next pool and they told us they were open. We went grabbed our drinks and towels, the same people told us at 530 that they were packing up. THE POOL CLOSES AT 6PM!!!!!!! This includes the bars around the pool!!!! Also, as someone else stated, the Kane pool which is supposed to be exclusive for Cove guest was like a little frat party. Drunk people dancing to EXTREMELY loud 2008 music.

The staff did not want to bring us drinks. Every time we ordered they gave us attitude. We even had a bit of an altercation with one of the ladies who started mumbling when we politely asked her opinion on food choices.

NO WIFI!!! the internet fee is $30 a day...Also, the internet is so spotty you can barely get service. I called front desk about the issue, she said she would call IT and get back to us. That never happened.

We booked the hotel through AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM SERVICES. This includes "complimentary breakfast" When we ordered, we clearly asked the server if it was in the plan. When we came for check out, they charged us for the breakfast ($89)....I told the lady at check out that we had clearly asked if the breakfast was included to the server, she immediately grabbed a document and gave it to me which states the restaurants that the breakfast was included with. She pretty much accused me of lying. One of the other front desk ladies heard her and called the manager who ended up begrudgingly comping the breakfast like she did me a favor.

I also called in advance to request a notary for a document I needed signed. The person on the phone told me to come by and she would handle it free of charge. When I arrived at the Cove, they acted like they didn't know what the notary was. Next we get a call in our room from one of the front desk staff asking for us to pay $100 plus traveling expenses for his mother to come by and notarize the document.

Unless the staff is complete changed, I will never go back or refer anyone. We were supposed to stay for a week. We left after one night.

Room Tip: Use AMEX concierge and get upgraded to higher floor facing the pool
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
11  Thank MiamiEsq13
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Our second trip to the cove in the past 9 months proves to be too much.. Our 1st visit seemed so much more exclusive. 1st, you're paying for the exclusive entry to the beautiful Cain Pool, the secluded calm beach, and suites that are a notch above the general Atlantis resort. But, by the weekend, the Cain pool mimicked a frat party atmosphere. There must have been 300 people occupying every single lounge chair.there were 18 yr old drunks dancing on the lounges. Really?? And, The servers just couldn't keep up with the orders. Then, like a light switch, the pool closes at 6pm!! Too early.. 2nd) the waterpark.. Way too crowded. Mostly because the cruise ship herds hit the property by 9:30am. One day there were 3 ships in port, forcing an hr wait on most slides. Although the waterpark is world class, it can't handle the flock of patrons during these peak days. Can't understand why atlantis doesn't open the water park to their resort guests an hr earlier, and stay open an hr or 2 later. Even worse, there were a couple of slides broke down.. 3rd) the food.. As many have stated, the food is so avg. However, Nobu and Mesa Grill are the exception. The other eateries are too expensive for the poor quality. Note: The room service was actually good. 4th) Room.. We had an awesome ocean view from the 18th floor. But our room was showing some age. 5th) Service.. It was improved over our last visit. A very big thank you to Melvin at the front desk. He was very professional.. In closing.. Overall we are somewhat disappointed. When you pay $700 a night for a room to be exclusive, then obviously the crowds are a problem. The value just isn't there. And, that's a shame. As many know, the location is world class. Wish I could recommend Atlantis, and The Cove.. Sadly, this will be our last visit. We just feel there are so many other resorts that are a much better value...

• Stayed: June 2014
7  Thank Beefseeker
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had a great time at The Cove. We had a Deluxe King Ocean View on the 19th floor. Ist class accommodations, large room and bathroom. We had breakfast on our balcony each morning - I'd recommend that over going to the buffet. Everyone was eager to please. We liked the kid-free pool, but don't think it'll be nice and quiet - loud DJ, but that was part of the scene.
The first week of June was a good time to go…not that many people - pools empty

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank frequentBandB
Reviewed June 6, 2014

My wife and I just returned from our first stay at The Cove at Atlantis. We loved every minute of our stay. The rooms at The Cove are large, very modern and beautifully finished. There are beautiful pools and gardens around the hotel and an amazing Adults Only swimming pool with lounge beds and chairs. The music was quiet and relaxing, which we really appreciated. We had some fantastic Margueritas at The Mesa Grill and enjoyed drinks in the beautiful lounge in the hotel as well. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to vacation in this area of Atlantis without children (lots of kids in other parts of Atlantis).

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views - we stayed on the 10th floor and the balcony view was just beautifu...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank HthrDave
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I stayed at the cove in atlantis Memorial Day weekend ...it was great !
It was a party scene !
We had 2 bedroom suite with access to the clubhouse which served free food.
Also had a bar and free drinks at happy hour

The pool was great
Food by the pool was very good but expensive
We got the meal plan for breakfast & dinner
It was worth it
All the restaurants were very good . My favorite was mesa grill ....grapefruit mojito was awesome !
The spa is wonderful!
Everything about the cove is first class.
The only problem I had was that the royal towers smelt like cigarette smoke as soon as you entered the lobby
We went to a bar on the casino & it was filled with smoke .
There was a small lounge with table games in the cove ...we went in & couldn't stay in there it was filled with cigarette smoke
They should have designated smoking areas
It ruined the nightlife for us

But all in all the cove is the place to stay in atlantis !

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank LITLISA100
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Just got back from our second stay at The Cove (and seventh to Atlantis overall). Anniversary getaway with my wife, kids stayed home with grandparents. This is a great resort if you're traveling without kids. The Cain Pool is both a pool and a show (courtesyof the guests and DJ) and a highlight of our stay (just stop thinking about the drink prices and the day becomes much more enjoyable). Great service, all the staff throughout the Atlantis but particularly at the Cove are friendly, helpful, and seem genuinely glad you are there. Zennetta at the Cove front desk, Marlon and Addina at the Breakwater Bar near the Ruins Pool, and Seneck at the bar in Seafire Grill all deserve special mention - they remembered my wife and I from previous visits. Seneck mixed a great Cosmo for my wife and has a very cool signature drink - The Sneaker. We will definitely be back next year to celebrate our anniversary again!

Room Tip: All the hotel rooms here have great views. The Transit Lounge is a great way to extend the trip onc...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!