“Lots of fun” 4 of 5 stars

The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
“Lots of fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed September 12-14 for a bachelorette party, and it was a great trip. It's true that things are a little pricy, but we took drinks with us to the hotel and that helped. The staff was extremely helpful the casino was great and the club was a blast. Cain pool was awesome. We ran into a counterpart bachelor party, and met some amazing people (hey, Ryan!) The time of year was perfect and not crowded at all.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

So where to begin, I have been coming to the Cove since it opened. I was there for its Grand Opening where I literally met all the stars from Whitney to Lindsey Lohan. Since I have been going each and every Christmas. Every year, I see Magic Johnson and his family like clockwork. I have also visited in February, March and April. But Christmas Week is the best time of year and there is also special events, shows, and DJ's. Lots of celebs during this time too.

Now, the Cove is hands on the best luxury family vacation location that gives the perfect balance of things to do, high end comfort and adult activities too.

Let's first talk about Atlantis in broad strokes. Atlantis is a tropical Disneyland. And when you have kids like I do, this makes the property ABSOLUTELY awesome. Why? Well there are a lot of activities for the kids from the Temple Water slides, the numerous water tanks with fish, sharks, and manta rays just floating by. And they have numerous water features for kids. If you get bored of that there is a lazy river. All of this is on location and free to access. Kids roam free all day. It is very safe.

If that isn't enough, you can have them feed the sharks, rock climb, or paddle boat. These are added cost. And the piece de resistance that my kids do every year is the dolphin experience, where they swim with the dolphins. It isn't cheap but it is worth it. And the photo ops are awesome. At night, my kids eat, watch a movie or head to the kids nightclub. They have babysitters for hire. There is also an adventure discovery club for kids to stay in a group and explore the property and have a planned day. So they literally cover the babies to teens on all levels with activities and attractions.

What does this mean for me? FREEDOM.

Now, let's talk about the Cove in that context. The Cove is the luxury, zen, higher end hotel on Atlantis. It is close to the casino and all the festivities and is convenient to all the kids attractions. But it is remote enough and special enough to feel separate.

If you are looking for truly remote and private, The Cove is probably not for you. It is not removed like the Ocean Club which is off the main property and a bus ride away. If you want privacy go to the Ocean Club. It is high end and very private. A couple's haven with a bit better and more luxurious bedding. I've stayed at both and prefer the convenience of the Cove for my kids. Anyway, I digress... Back to the Cove.

The Cove rooms are all great. I sleep like a baby in The Cove. Probably due to all the sun I get when in the Bahamas. Each room is basically has either a king or a 2 queens with a TV. And they all have a pull out couch and another TV sitting area. I usually get two room that connect. What is nice about this is the double door entries. So by connecting, you can make this like a 2 bedroom suite.

Now, they also have these Sapphire suites which are modern, updated and contemporary two bedroom suites that look a bit like a miami penthouse. If you can afford to splurge like this, it is worth it. The shower in the sapphire suite is AWESOME. I love the bathrooms in the suites. But the regular rooms are great. I love the Red Flower bath products they give out. I hoard these. They give generous sized bathroom toiletries and they do so daily. BEST bathroom products of any of the resorts I have stayed in. Seriously.

Now the perks for Adults: The Adult pool. I get a cabana every day. It costs like $750 a day but it is worth it. The Adult pool has a DJ playing more of the latest club hits. The pool itself is heaven. The Cabanas are facing the pools with a sitting area and bed on the outside, table outside and a living room with your own bathroom. Finally on the back side facing the beach there are chairs and loungers and a shower. If you have kids, this is the best of both worlds. The kids can stay in the cabana and eat and sit and play on the beach. They can clean up and have a bathroom right there. And it is like a private patio. We have even hired masseuses in our cabana so you get everything brought to you. It is what makes the Cove worth it. The access to this pool and to get your own cabana.

Now, the harsh reality. Is everything extra cost in the Cove? Yes. Internet, food, Cabana etc. So this is not for the bargain traveler at all. This is for the luxury traveler who can afford the costs.

Where to Eat?
I am a fan of the buffet breakfast at the Cove or at the Marketplace in the ROyal Towers.
For Lunch, I order in the Cabanas. The menu is great.
For Dinner, Nobu in Royal Towers(Japanese), Piccadilly Road by the marina (Local Fare), Dune in the Ocean Club

Offsite Activities?
If you can, rent the Slumber Venture Boat for a group. This boat has jet skis on board and a chef. Spend the day lazing on the ocean on this yacht. It is amazing.

And the service at the Cove is excellent. So all of these things can all be set up by the Cove Concierge.

I could go on as I truly have done everything from banana boats to parasails to hari braiding to making robots with my kids to Junkaroo. But the bottom line, it is my family's favoritie vacation spot. Fun for the whole family and luxurious and special as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank nikalove
Wellington, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Cove at Atlantis is a first class luxury hotel. The suites are large similar to Vegas hotels with a sunken living room, huge bathrooms (large soaker tub, glass shower, double sinks, private toilet), two flat screens, balcony. The room service is exceptional. Never wanted for anything. Nightly turn down service. How sweet to come 'home' to a ready to jump into bed. low lighting and soft music. Everyone from room service to concierge is extremely helpful. Shuttles run 24 hours to take you all over property. Cain pool - outstanding. Waterpark - amazing. Digs super cool. Gambling, we only played slots. Go for fun not to win and you'll be happy. Definitely will return.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth floor of the Cove. Facing west toward the Aquapark. View of the ocean, park...
3 Thank FloridaNativeforLife
Tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just got back from Atlantis, had a relatively relaxing vacation. I won't get into the overpriced food- you'll read that everywhere. I'll just relate my experience. First things first. It's not like the website or brochures depictions of nothing but hot models walking around or body building universe winners, the majority of people there are overweight, average appearing people, and quite a bit of families, so don't freak out too much about getting the perfect beach body. Maybe that's just because it's off season. Must brings- Suntan lotion, aqua shoes, and an eco fused 100% waterproof iPhone bag ( three dollars on amazon- it really works had 2 iPhones took pics everywhere even underwater). Arrived at the cove for a 6 day stay with deluxe ocean view. The first room they put me in overlooked the water park, after a quick complaint that the view wasn't my idea of an ocean view, they moved me to one over looking paradise beach, with cascades pool proximally. If you want truly an ocean suite, sapphire suites seem to have the best views. They give you a cove beach bag. Two flatscreen tv's. One of which would turn off the second you turned it on. Coffee maker in room. Brought a bottle of scotch from duty free shop which worked well. Internet's 20/day but you can pay cash at the front desk. They hold $1,000 on your credit card for incidentals. They gave us a night time rewards card and we used it for 2 daiquiris which was supposed to be free but was billed $30 upon check out, which they removed after I pointed it out. The carpet was frayed and stained. The safe battery was low and locked me out. The cove has the potential for being romantic but families stay here too( read as kids crying). It is rather a far walk to the main area of coral towers so families are better off staying there (closer to water park further from beach). Harborside resort is far.Water park is awesome. Market place buffet was $50/pp and perhaps the worst tasting buffet in the world with the smallest selection. Go to dunkin donuts right outside atlantis $4.99 for drink/chips/ham and cheese sandwich. Shark bites has reasonable prices too( recommend conch fritter $6.50, also chicken sand combo $10)- Water taxi to town appeared shady but turned out fun and safe. Did stop at roadside fruit stand for bananas and the biggest avocados you've ever seen, and water too ( $9 at atlantis, $2 in town) (will do complete evaluations of places I ate, must do- arawak cay restaurant strip), Jet ski's- be prepared for "Hey buddy, you ready to ride the jet ski, almost free" not associated with hotels and rather annoying. As for attitudes due to automatic 15% gratuity in atlantis...I found nothing but friendly respectful staff that greeted us every where we went, went out of their way to run for a towel, get more coffee. There was hardly lines for the water parks even with the three cruise ships that came and left daily. Casino has $10 dollar craps tables which I did well on. Slots were paying out- not as tight as everyone says, though does seem to be related to time of day playing. Drinks are free while gambling if you can find someone working there- order two, they take awhile. Nighttime theres not much to do with majority being at coral towers(casino/Clubs/food) and marina village ( beach/pools close at 6pm though its bahama time so they don't kick you out till 7ish). It's is a dark walk from the cove to coral towers but you feel rather safe walking it, there is a "free" shuttle that will take you btwn hotels if you want to wait for it. The cove also has an exclusive pool which was rather nice. Beach was beautiful and the only sharks I saw were the one's in the aquariums. Overall I give the cove slightly above average due to the amount of time spent dealing with the front desk, the condition of the room (the bathrooms are beautiful though), the constant automatic turning off of the TV despite techs coming to fix it. Getting locked out of my safe due to low battery, the smell of fresh manure surrounding the cove. Service and the water park, beach access, and atmosphere get an A.

Room Tip: Stay above 4th floor and request to overlook paradise beach/cascades pool if you want to wake up to...
3 Thank DocTpa
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We only spent two nights here, but without a doubt look forward to coming back. Loved that there was the private beach area for Cove guest. Staff were friendly and extremely helpful. Great place and resort to visit for ages, definitely something for everyone. Thank you :-)

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Naomi_loves_2_travel
SEYMOUR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Not sure where to start. First of all the good. Location is perfect. The beach on the "Reef" side of The Cove is a "10!!!"... Also, the Cain Pool for adult Cove guest only, is as good as it gets. It reminds one of a Vegas or Miami vibe, unlike the other pool areas entirely. The waterpark is awesome as well. It has some world-class slides surrounded by a very "active" lazy river that takes you to different areas and slides. (Very cleverly engineered.)The other pool areas are large and numerous, with room for families to enjoy. The Golf course at The Ocean Club is a must play while on your stay. It's got a nice layout, well taken care of, with some breathtaking views.. The Bad- the service here is hit or miss. The staff is friendly, but spend most of their day on cell phones. There's no 5 star(over the top, out of the way service). The food is also hit or miss. We did Thoroughly enjoy Nobu, with fresh fish and sushi on the menu. Carmine's- huge portions, and fairly priced. Marina Pizzaria is a nice bargain as well. But, many of the other restaurants are closed from day to day, without much notice, or apology. We weren't able to try 3-4 of the places we wanted to. Like many other reviewers, we were disappointed in the food overall. The rooms- mixed feelings here too. The room had 800+ sq, ft high up with a prime ocean view. But, the room is showing age, and the air conditioner wasn't up to par. After 3 complaints, it was finally looked at, but not actually fixed. Again, no urgency. The bathroom is rather nice and roomy, even though the water pressure is low.
Overall I give the Cove a 3.5... High marks for location and all aquatic areas including the beach. Medium marks for service and room. And sadly, low marks overall for food and value. We've stayed at nicer resorts and hotels, and have certainly stayed at worse. BUT.. these prices are in line with 5-star resorts, not 3. So, value is dropped a bit. We do plan to return next Spring, as there is plenty to lure us back. Hopefully it'll be a little more in line with the prices next time....
P.S. The celebrities were out while we were there. PGA Pro Dustin Johnson and wife, NBA Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing, and his friend Wayman Tisdale. Chef Bobby Flay from Food Network. But, Sadly we missed Mark Walburg by a few days.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Beefseeker
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

As much as I believe that the Atlantis is a nice resort, I cant get over the fact that I feel like I was ripped off during my recent visit. I'll get to the negatives later but let me paint a picture for you.

I stayed at the Cove which is very nice and has a great adult pool with a dj that gives it somewhat of a Vegas pool party feel but YOU MUST reserve a seat near the pool at 9am if you want to have a pool chair ( you'll definitely want a pool chair-TRUST ME)- you do this by going to the pool at 9am and leaving a towel on your seat. That's it! Of course I knew nothing about this and ended up standing by the bar but all the action is at the pool. The crowd at the pool has a nice mix of people from early 20's to late 60's singles, couples, fat, slim you name it. There's def no reason to feel out of place or uncomfortable with your body because you waited until 2 weeks before your vacation to hit the gym.

Drinks at the Atlantis resort are WAY overpriced as with everything else here so the best way to get ahead is to have your taxi stop by the liquor store before he drops you off buy a bottle! My wife and I did this and we saved a bunch. I bought 2 screwdrivers with absolute and the bill was $26.. Sweet baby Jesus!!!! Needless to say I had a pissed off wife and I drank from my own personal stash from then on. (Note to self: buy a small flask and keep it full)

FOOD HERE IS A RIPOFF!
Never ask the staff at the Atlantis for recommendations on where to eat. Made that mistake my first day here and was told to go to Marketplace which is all you can eat. In my mind I'm thinking HELL YEA!!! $112 for 2 ppl eat. Once again SWEET BABY JESUS! So ok I screwed up my next meal will be cheap I'll just go to Johnny Rockets. 2 burgers 2 fries 2 lemonades later $43.

18% gratuity is added to everything you buy.
The customer service is not what you would expect from a place like this but guess why. The employees don't get the %18 gratuity thats added on to your bill. They only get tips if you decide to add on something extra to your bill which not many ppl do when they see that gratuity is already included. I found this out from speaking to many locals and this will explain why you will get poor service because many of the employees are disgruntled by this.

After 7pm there's nothing to do on this resort unless go to the Casino which is what they want you to do. On the weekends it may be a concert or you can go to AURA nightclub where girls get in free and guys $25 and up.

• 1 of 5 stars
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 stars 716 reviews
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!