“the best way to enjoy atlantis”

The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were there dec 2012 but haven't had time to write- the cove is a beautiful hotel inside atlantis-with large rooms, excellent buffet restaurant nearby for breakfast lunch or dinner, a nice bar. The rest of the atlantis resort is a different story and reminds me of large las vegas hotels. The cove is very civilized with no lines, a nice beach and pool which is just for the cove. The pool was freezing cold the entire time- not sure why but could have used some heat considering the prices. The pool does not have a nice lunch restaurant- there is a place to sit and order from window and it wasn't bad, but a nice sit down restaurant would be nice with good food. There is one next door at the adult pool but no children- we did get food to go from there and bring it over, but again I think they need to upgrade pool food- the buffet restaurant inside which anyone can eat at had excellent breakfast and lunch. Didn't eat dinner there but seemed to have lots of choices. Kids can enjoy all the water slides around the resort- however they did return home with pseudomas rash from either the slides or the hot tub at the pool- BEWARE- Restaurants at the resort are pricey- have eaten at Nobu many times elsewhere and I think its going downhill, nothing exceptionally exciting on the menu and very pricey especially here. Make reservations early the restaurants get booked early on. If you don't have children not sure this should be your vacation spot- lots of kids- I think other places would be more romantic. The casino was packed every night and couldn't get a seat - they should have more table open. Overall a nice way to spend family vacation

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank flierm
Write a ReviewReviews (2,940)

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was our second visit to Atlantis. 3 years ago, we stayed in the Royal Towers. This time, we opted for The Cove. On the way in, we passed by the construction site for Baha Mar..... a HUGE resort being built. When that opens, and Atlantis has some serious competition, they may find themselves in big trouble -- simply because they cannot get their act together from the service aspect.

Some staff members are GREAT. Others are just terrible. Upon check-in, we weren't even greeted politely. Not as much as a "Hello, welcome to Atlantis!" My friend was checking in right next to me, and she had a very different experience. In fact, I think the person checking her in was more senior and noticed the disparity because she made a point to follow-up with us after our check in. Our luggage passed between no fewer than 3 different people. We tipped the first person only to have it handed off to someone else. We tipped that person and then he disappeared and it was handed off again. Hold your tips until someone actually takes your bags further than 20 feet for you.

My family of 6 (kids ages 13, 12, 9, 7) travelled with another family (kids 14, 12, 9). We each had two rooms. What is great about Atlantis with kids. No one is bored. The water park is great. The food is very good (we had the gourmet meal plan) and the restaurants always kindly accommodated our request to have our separate dinner reservations for parties of 6 & 5, combined into one table of 11.

I will also say that when my husband spoke with the manager about getting room service covered under our meal plan for two family members, they did this for us. My daughter and I came down with a stomach virus. After 24 hours without eating anything on our combined $150/day meal plan, we wanted to get chicken soup and stay in while everyone else went to our Cafe Martinique reservation. Unfortunately, this isn't covered under the meal plan so it would have cost us an additional $60 for 2 soups & ginger ale. When my husband discussed this with the manager, they agreed to make an exception. Thank you for that.

This brings me to my biggest gripe about Atlantis. The meal plan. It is TORTUROUS in its rigidity and I guarantee that thousands of people check out of Atlantis having been overcharged. Literally, the meal plan made dining out far less enjoyable. This is why: Everyone in your party must be on the same meal plan. So, if I want to eat at Mesa Grill and Cafe Martinique, I need to pay for my kids to do the same. Even if they are only going to eat chicken tenders and pasta with butter. Want to eat out on your own and put your kids in Kids Club babysitting for the night? Great --- but if you want them to have a slice of pizza at kids club you will have to pay extra for that pizza (if I recall correctly, maybe $15-20 per child) because that is not covered on the meal plan. (the meal plan that you have paid for but are not using that night). Even worse. Our family of 6 needed two rooms. So did the family of 5 that we were traveling with. So every night, we needed to get 4 separate checks. Every night, resolving the issue of who is on which check, how many kids, how many adults, etc etc. was a nightmare. It truly made dining out far less enjoyable. With all the years that Atlantis has been doing this, you would think that they would have it down to a science by now but they do not. Some wait staff handled it expertly but others were flustered and confused and clearly annoyed. At checkout, this translates into hundreds of dollars in erroneous charges on your bill. CHECK YOUR BILL CAREFULLY. We were billed for breakfasts and dinners that should have been covered on the meal plan. Given our last visit, we knew to look out for this and had the charges corrected, but if you are racing off to catch a flight, and you were on the meal plan, I GUARANTEE that you have been overcharged.

We had the Cove dining plan which also includes Nobu, Dune. We spent 3+ hours at Dune with ridiculously awful service (waiter went missing for half the night). We left without even having dessert -- that is how fed up we were. (Want to stop at Ben & Jerry's to grab an ice cream since no one was actually waiting on you at Dune? That will be $extra because it's not on your meal plan!) And at checkout.... surprise surprise we were CHARGED for our terrible Dune experience. They said it was not part of the meal plan. Atlantis.... I am looking at your website right now and it says Dune is part of the Cove/Reef meal plan. Get it together!

Seriously, Atlantis... you need to come up with a better system. Why not just come up with a per day/per room food & drink allowance that can be spent anywhere in the resort? That way, you don't hold your guests hostage to crummy service.

Writstbands for water park. One day they sent us to 4 different locations to get our wristbands. "Oh we're changing our shift, can you go down to the Cove pool?" .... "Oh my computer doesn't seem to be working. You can get them back up at the concierge." "We're still changing shifts, why don't you get it over at the Water Park?"

Shuttle transportation around resort = great. Good drink/food service by pools. Nice housekeeping with bottled water every evening. Don't keep your iPhones next to your room keys as they will demagnetize. Dolphin Cay is fantastic. This year, we did Sea Lion experience (was better than Dolphins). However, on the service side, we were directed to an orientation room and when no one ever appeared to "orient" us, I went next door (where there were 5 staff members chatting behind the counter) and was told they had sent us to the wrong place and we were supposed to be near the lockers getting wetsuits. Thank goodness I asked because there were 30 people in that room who would have simply missed their experiences.

Room Tip: We don't normally spend much time in our room but we had an ocean view room in the Cove. Only 3...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tara1994
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Wow! What a property.

Returned from 4day/3nt. stay at The Cove. 2Adults/2Children.

This is our sixth time to Atlantis. We know the drill. Here's the scoop:
Arrival @ 12:30pm
- Always pack one bag that holds all of your pool needs. Bell check your bags after signing in. Rooms will not be ready till 3-4pm so enjoy your day.

- Pick up at Airport - Sandy Fergerson - Food and Beer Stop a must - No problem.

- Front Desk - Excellent & Efficient. Here's your key package have a great day...We did!

- Room - (entered at 4:15pm) Clean, Bright Views of Ocean & Spacious. Bathroom - Excellent - Elevators - Excellent - Noise Level of other guests - Zero. Three peaceful nights of sleep. Maid services - Excellent - They provide a nice beach bag free of charge. Each day we received free water as well.

- Pool - Actually there are several. If you want some low-key pool experience go the back row of the cascade pool. Sure there are toddlers in the pool; however, they have a band every day and they play island music. It's nice and relaxing. The Cove Pool is sleek, modern & very noisy!. Extremely loud DJ everyday - Lot's of Tattoo people sauntering around in the look -at- me dress up act. Actually it looked like a Jersey Carny-Convention... If you are not into the "hip-hop" action take a peak and then move onto another pool. I do wonder how those 24 year old kids get the money to stay at the Cove? When I was 24 I couldn't stay at Howard Johnson never mind the Cove. Moving on...

Food - Now food needs to be broken into sections - Section One - Pool Food - Wraps - Dogs - Burgers - Fries - Kaliks and Cokes - That's it... 4 for Lunch at our chairs - $85.00 - all in. Not a problem... Section Two -Dinner. For us dinner is the key meal... Seafire Grill - Excellent 4 for dinner $230.00. Best meal of the trip. Carmines - one word - NUTHOUSE - we agreed to take the overcrowded Carmines out of our rotation. 4 for dinner - $140.00.
Breakfast - Starbucks. Ok listen it's twenty minutes to get coffee... If you know that going in your fine. A few folks didn't know this and well they got upset and will most likely surface in these reviews and bad-mouth their entire stay. Oh well... Mosaic Brunch - lots of food - Marketplace - lots of food at a lower price tag. All good.

- Daily Activities - We go to the slides between 10-11am & 3-5pm. There's a reason and we call it boat-people. Coming from the calm and fresh Cove to the madhouse and absurd crowds at the slides...well... get out of there as soon as you can. If you go and attempt to get in line for a slide ride between 11am and 3pm you need to allocate one hour just to reach your turn. We like the river ride and this time we went on the Power Tower. It was fun but a long wait.

Night Time - Walked around - Admired the work they put into the place.
Casino - It was fun but because the "of age is 18" you can tell when the amateurs are out in force.

We did not have bad word, reaction or attitude by any staff member. Everyone we encountered this week was nice and cordial. Kudo's to a great management and staff. Thank you everyone for a great visit. See you next time.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank NewEnglandYankee506
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I took my girlfriend for a quick 3 day get away for her birthday. My only request in advance was very simple...to have a bouquet of fresh cut flowers and balloons waiting in the room when we arrived with a note that I provided. I re-confirmed at check-in, provided my cell number (if there were any issues) and authorized the use of my credit card number on file. Three days later (after meeting the associate mgr and not getting return phone calls from others in mgmt) the flowers and balloons never arrived. The comedy of errors for such a simple task should be an incredible embarrassment for a property that has the audacity to charge $1,000 per night for a fairly basic room.The Cove is not what it once was and I will definitely try "The One and Only" on my next visit to the Bahamas. I had been warned before hand to be prepared for headaches at the Cove, but we still gave it a shot. The property is nice but the aggravation of dealing with their inept management was a dark cloud over this trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cafx23
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I just returned from a 4 day weekend with girlfriends at The Cove Atlantis. The accommodations and pool area were spectacular, albeit, very pricey. All personal at The Cove were very friendly and eager to help, and there were plenty of them. If you're watching your money, stay at one of the other towers at The Atlantis, otherwise, I highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I just returned from a speaking engagement and was very impressed with all aspects of my trip. My room at The Cove had great views, a most comfortable bed and a bathroom the size of a small home. The service was very good in all areas of my 4 day stay. I really did not want to go home!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Gary S
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Cove is a spectacularly beautiful resort within a resort. The larger entity is, of course, the Atlantis. If you haven't been there, its hard to imagine just how huge a property the Atlantis truly is. Think Disney meets Vegas and you are on the right track. The Cove is the high priced hotel among the many options available at Atlantis. The soaring lobby area and reception are beautifully designed. The suite we had (14809) had a nice view of the ocean and was very well laid out.The staff were always helpful and pleasant. I deducted one star for the annoyances that come from the surrounding resort. Once you leave the Cove itself, you are out into the Atlantis common areas, sharing the crowded walkways with the day-trippers from the 4 gigantic cruise ships which make port in Nassau each day. One other concern: the Cove is not the place to bring young children. All of the kids activities are in the other buildings. They will be much happier there.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms (odd-numbers) and the higher floor the better.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
0 mi away
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
1 mi away
The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons Resort, Bahamas
The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons R...
#3 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!