“Really nice trip...”

The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at the Cove October 17th to 21st. It was our second time staying at this hotel and our third visit to Atlantis in the past 4 years (we stayed at the Reef on our last visit). This was a great time of year to go to the resort. We had great weather overall--one day of rain--and the hotel was only about half occupied so it was not crowed on the beach or at the pools. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The hotel was nice although definitely had suffered some wear and tear since our initial visit four years ago. But it is beautifully landscaped and has a relaxed, almost spa-like feel in the lobby and walk ways. Our only real complaint was the shower in our room. It would take ten minutes to warm up and then was scalding hot and we were unable to adjust the temperature. The water in the tub was also scalding hot. We had a deluxe ocean front room. It was really nice with lots of space and enough room for me, my husband and our 4 year old. The room was spotless and the housekeepers asked us every day if we needed anything. The bathroom was spacious with lots of towels and nice toiletries. Our room faced the Mayan Temple (water slides). I like the side of the hotel facing the Reef better as it is quieter and will request that next time.

Meal plan: We purchased the Cove/Reef meal plan at $125 per adult per day, with our 4 yr old eating free. It was absolutely not worth it. The food at Altantis is really overpriced but we lost hundreds of dollars by purchasing the meal plan. The breakfast buffet at Mosiac is really good and I think it is $28/adult and $16/child. We also tried the dinner buffet there one night and it was really good as well and I think it cost $58/adult and $20 child. One night we ate at the Great Waters Cafe (the restaurant overlooking part of the aquarium). It had been closed for several months and just reopened. It took more that 3 hours to get all of our meal and we took our dessert to go. The food was fine and the waitress was nice but there was no excuse for the delay. People were leaving after waiting more than an hour for their appetizer. Every time we started the leave the waitress would come and tell us it would just be a few more minutes. Anyway, price wise, it was between $25 and $50 per adult for an appetizer, soft drink and entree. We did eat at the Mesa Grill, which is just a really cool restaurant. The food is good and the decor is fun. That was the only day we broke even on the meal plan. Also ate at Carmines which is really good but everything is served family style so the portions are for 4 or 5 people and there is no need for everyone to order their own appetizer, entree and dessert per the meal plan. It is just an amazing amount of food that goes to waste. On our past visits, we have gotten a little bit better price on the meal plan and eaten at some of the more expensive restaurants and we just didn't do that this time (probably because our 4 yr old would not have been up for that every night). But the meal plan does not include taxes or the automatic 15% service charge, so you will still have some significant charges even with the plan. I would recommend that you look at the restaurants ahead of time and decide where and what you might want to eat before you purchase the meal plan. We will not be purchasing it next time.

Activities: We did the sea lion interaction this time and all 3 of us loved it. The sea lion was really well trained and there was more one on one interaction that with the dolphin encounter.

Don't forget to pack lots of sunscreen. We only packed 2 bottles and they were gone the by the second day. It is $27 dollars a bottle at the resort. And pack your own beach toys for the kids if you can--they are also crazy expensive.

We had a really nice trip. At least part of the airport was new and it was very well organized. On our return trip, we were able to clear US Customs and even though the security and customs lines were long, the process went very quickly. I don't remember being able to clear customs last time we visited but I could definitely just have forgotten. We checked in, cleared security and customs and found our gate in less than 30 minutes. It made the trip back home way more enjoyable since we didn't have to claim our luggage in Atlanta and wait in those endless lines. We will definitely return to Atlantis and stay at the Cove or Reef again. We really like both hotels. This time we choose the Cove since we only had our 4 year old with us and the space layout worked fine for us.

Room Tip: The beach is beautiful. It is worth it to get an oceanfront room. I think it is prettier on the si...
3  Thank ret0612
Write a ReviewReviews (2,975)

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This was my first trip here.
FIRST THE GOOD:
The people are friendly and very helpful. Our taxi rides were all very nice and HONEST, which is a switch from usual caribbean trips.
The resort is gorgeous and every detail is taken care of. 2 TVs in our room, Bose speakers in the ceiling, the maid cleans TWICE A DAY. When you get back in the evening, the blinds are closed and soft music is playing. The bed has been given an extra blanket, too.The front desk called twice in a week to ask us if everything was ok. It was. THIS IS SERVICE, PROPER. There is a lot of staff everywhere, and they are obviously trained well in their departments.
We had a concierge in our hotel that made arrangements for any restaurant/tour we wanted. They are dressed well, well spoken and seem to be in an honestly good mood.
The entire resort is designed so that if it is raining, you can access any of the towers, restaurants, casino without going outside. And it is MASSIVE.
We had a private outdoor pool, beach and casino which children were not allowed at. I loved that. It was secluded and very well done. Obviously targeting the 30-55 demographic, this chic, modern mini-oasis that plays 80s music and has the football game on caters to a specific crowd.
As for the rest of the park - so much fun! We went down the river rapids ( I lost my inhaler along the way and when I got back to where we started from, I asked one of the lifeguards. He had found it! Of course he had....this is paradise, right?)
The Dolphin excursion was fun. The Sea Lion excursion was FANTASTIC! The snorkel adventure was FANTASTIC! The waterslides are great. I had the best hamburger of my entire life at the DIG downstairs which is surrounded by a massive lagoon aquarium. Service is perfect. The casino is what you would expect, which was just fine with me. At MESA grille, I had one of the best filet mignon I have ever savoured, and the bartender was a down to earth, funny guy. You MUST eat here at least once. The italian restaurant was fabulous too, and their lamb was to die for (not literally). The resort serves La Crema and Kendall Jackson chardonnays which I loved as well.
We golfed at The Ocean Club. It was beautiful, and I shot a great round. There are free shuttles that take you from any of the resorts to each other or the golf course.
We shopped in downtown Nassau, and I was impressed by how much of this island is well kept and looking beautiful. The airport was easy to manage and we were away in no time.

THE .....BAD?
Look, this really was paradise and I hate to be a critic, but for all of you out there that want to know, I am going to tell you what isn't so great-----
1.Our room fridge was broken so my beers were warm - meh. Not a big deal for me.
2. This place is EXPENSIVE. There were two of us and we had 2 $300 meals. We ate breakfast every day for $57.00. One day we tried to see if we ordered a la cart if it was cheaper--and it was---by 80 cents.
3. If you book an excursion be prepared to go because rain or shine--you're paying for it.
4.The shopping is pretty ho-hum.
5. After your Dolphin Cay experience, be prepared to stand in line for over an hour to get your photos (which are insanely expensive!!! $149.00-$449.00!). Its a poor system and we found it very frustrating.

THE VERDICT:
This IS paradise and it was a vacation that I will definitely revisit very soon. Yes, it was expensive. But it has VALUE. It's WORTH what you pay. You get this fantastic experience that won't fade in reflection. Next time I'm going to take my wife.....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank itravel9899
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Whilst the place is great , the beaches are shut , unacceptable 5 days post hurricane . This is a disgrace! The place is beautiful and beaches great , but not allowed on them , in 7 days we had one afternoon in on them .
Food expensive , mean plan not with it .

1  Thank Dinojess
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was in the Cove in July with my family (wife and two kids) and we really enjoyed. We had already being in the Royal Towers a few years ago and we knew a lot about how the Atlantis works. First it is expensive therefore if this will bother you do not go. The Atlantis is a huge complex with a lot of people and to complicate the situation they receive many cruise lines in the water park. This negatively affect the service in the complex and specially in the pools. In the cove itself the service is very good since its pools are reserved to its guests, the staff atentive and gentle, but out of the Cove pools get prepared for a worse service.

In the water park things are even worse in terms of service, since there is too many people and day users, to kept control of the situation the staff can be even rude. Despite of this the water park is very nice and you have a lot of fun there.

The Cove's meal plans can be trap if you plan to use mostly the buffet. It will be more expensive instead of cheaper.

The beach is very nice and beautiful but we spent most of the time in the pools.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Carlos F
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Unbelievable Hotel. My flight is cancelled as a result of hurricane Sandy and this hotel will not refund my $600 deposit. No other hotel on earth would do such a thing to a customer. I will stop my credit card company from paying this but Earnesta from customer service was completely rude and they have lost my business for ever over trying to steal $600 from me when the Nassau airport is closed tomorrow and I can't even get in.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
11  Thank EDouble39
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Let me start by saying we loved the Cove at Atlantis. We traveled with our 10 year old son and we all had a wonderful stay. The resort is beautiful and there was plenty to keep everyone entertained. The water parks are geat, I loved the afternoon by the pool at Cain and the dolphin Cay experience was wonderful. The waiters in all of the restaurants were super. Pretty excellent service all around.

However....the FOOD IS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. $18 for a latte and fruit salad from starbucks, $60 for burgers and fries by the pool, $24 for the kid's steak at Mesa Grill. Virgil's BBQ was the worst. The dishes are "family style" which means designed to feed at least 3 really hungry people and priced $45 and up. This was a really, really bad choice for a party of 2 adults and 1 child. Dinner was $150 and wasn't all that good and all we got was biscuits, pulled pork and nachos and a kids meal. There is an automatic 15% gratuity added to everything, whether you are grateful or not.

It's a shame that what could have otherwise been someplace that I would want to return was ruined by this part of the experience. Based on that, I would give it an average.

It's a great place to go and lots of fun, but buyer beware.

1  Thank MtPleasant_SCRaek
Reviewed October 23, 2012

It was a dream vacation for my wife- 15yr anniversary. Had Ocean Deluxe Suite facing Reef and cruise ships... ocean view every morning was great. Occupancy 43%.

The room- looks like the picture and overall nice. Some wear & tear on cupboards, no door handle, one of the TV and remotes did not work, dust on floor in the corners... but overall 7.5 out of 10.

Thee food- Bought the meal plan. Had dinner at Mesa, Seafire Steakhouse, Bahamian Club and Cafe Martinique (best). 15% on top of the plan- ridiculous. All good and well prepared. Would not recommend plan as you do have to order the most expensive meals to make it worth it. Lots of places to eat at the Marina for resonable prices. Breakfast Buffet every morning at Mosaic ... $25.

Staff- Very relaxed, nice, pleasant... remember though, it is a relaxed environment, they tend to stand around alot and chat with each other.

Pool & waterpark areas- Cove pool awesome, good music and not all that loud in certain areas. Burger for $20 and drinks for $14 plus 15%... not worth it, but awesome area. I called it the 'plastics pool' for obvious reasons... lots of plastic surgery. All other pools awesome and clean. Waterpark activites... lazy river very nice, bout 1/2hr round trip. Slides were all great.. no lines anytime of the day.

Yes, you will get excercise by walking... let's be honest, we all can use more (it was nice to see people walking instead of all those motorized shooters like Disney). It really is the add ons that can make it expensive ... dont use the mini-bar, buy your beer or drinks at the store across from the marina and eat out down by the marina...

Deep Water swin with Dolphins- $192 ... don"t do it. The water 'scooters' are not what are shown on the advertisment and have no power to pull you down. You get a dolphin to push on your foot with a small surfboard across the pool, which is cool, but you have to wait in line and only have 5min in the deep water area to pet the dolphin ... if you must, do the shallow water experience.

All in all... it was as expected and a well deserved celebration for my wife. Best times are experienced with the ones you love.

Room Tip: Eat down by Marina for cheaper selections.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 36 in Nassau
1 mi away
The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons Resort, Bahamas
The Ocean Club, A Four Seasons R...
#7 of 14 in Paradise Island
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!