“Amazing Facilities, Terrible Service, Nickle and Dimed to DEATH...”

The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Our stay at the Cove left me feeling very conflicted. On one hand our room was beautiful, there were many activities to choose from, the pools, waterpark and beaches were some of the best ever and the aesthetics were top notch. On the other hand, the service was consistently poor, the staff apathetic, I was asked for extra money at every turn and then when I got stuck for an extra night due to the tropical storm, I was gouged.

Our stay at Atlantis was the middle of a multi-legged vacation that included other 5 star resorts at Disney World and South Beach. Our first 2 days were rainy and windy due to Tropical Storm Isaac and our second 2 days were sunny and beautiful. Our room was well appointed and comfortable. The look and feel was truly among the best I've experienced. The hotel itself from the aquarium and casino at the Royal Towers to the lobby at the Cove were extravagant. Once the weather cleared up we were able to enjoy the Cain pool with a fantastic DJ and only 18+ guests along with some of the best water park rides I've ever encountered. The river rapids and the water slides were inventive and more than I would expect from a resort. The beach at the cove (and the Cain pool) are exclusive to guests and were a nice respite from the crowds at the less expensive towers. The food, although expensive, was often delicious and worth the splurge. We particularly enjoyed the food at Mosaic and Mesa Grill (to die for!). If you want a cheaper meal I would suggest the Atlas Bar and Grill or Johnny Rockets (where we received the best service of any restaurant at Atlantis).
The real issue was that at every corner I felt I was being swindled, ignored, dismissed or otherwise disrespected. The service in general seemed cold, apathetic and gave me the feeling that the staff felt we were spoiled vacationers who were lucky to get to stay at Atlantis. The staff did not feel they ever had to earn our business nevermind going above and beyond. The extra charges were outrageous. I felt nickle and dimed at every turn. There was a 15% automatic service charge added to everything including our trip to Ben and Jerry's. Not once was the charge earned. There was NOTHING complimentary at the resort except for the burlap bag in the room. We made sure to take it home as proof of the only thing that came included at Atlantis. Want the breakfast buffet? $42. Watch a movie in your room? $16. Visit the fitness center? $15/day. See a comedy show with a no name comedian? $20. Internet? $20/day. Sit on one of the beds next to the Cain pool? $150/day. Want a banana from Starbucks? $3.50. I respect that there are many 5 star hotels that charge extra for many of these things, but it was almost insulting. The prices for some things were unheard of. I don't mind paying extra for something of high quality, like our $50 entrees at the Mesa Grill, but don't charge me a service charge to scoop my ice cream or charge me $16 for pay per view. In addition to this, our flight out was canceled because of the storm, so we had to go ask for an additional night. They told us they would be happy to charge us the "rack rate" minus 20%. I asked how much that was. They told me that was $680- TWICE what I paid for my low season August booking. This does not even include the $144/day taxes, fees and gratuity added to the bill. After waiting around for 20 minutes, they were able to give us one more night at the rate we booked our room for. Our hotel in South Beach happily refunded us for the night we missed due to weather, by the way. They were friendly, helpful and understanding. That is the best way to earn repeat business.
My boyfriend and I scheduled a couples massage at the Spa while we were there. When we showed up to check in, they tried to upsell us and then said that we did not have a couples massage booked. After fixing that, we went to enjoy the spa. The spa was very nice, except that the TV in the "viewing room" had lines and big colored blocks marring the picture. They could spend $2000 and replace the TV. When people are paying $35/day to access the spa at a resort where they've paid a minimum of $400/night (and probably much more) to stay, they can keep everything in working order. We were brought upstairs in order to wait for our therapists, and one came out and took my boyfriend. We were both confused, and when he asked if we would be in the same room, she said no. We sat and waited another 20 minutes while they figured out the whole couples massage thing again. Not terribly good service, but luckily there is an automatic 20% service charge added to the massage. The massages themselves were quite good, though.
All in all I feel very frustrated by my experience at Atlantis. I enjoyed so much of my experience, but I expect top quality service to accompany the high quality facility. Someone needs to stop them from holding their hands out for the entire vacation as well. If they need to charge a bit more upfront, I don't mind, but don't try to hide the costs from me. I do hope there is someone at Atlantis who reads these reviews!

Room Tip: The clientele declines the further away you are from the Cove tower.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MAJJacobs

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed here a few days before my wedding in 2009 but with the last minute details and events surrounding the wedding I did not get to really enjoy it. Well three years later and my husband decided it was time to visit again as a belated anniversary celebration -absolutely loved it! I really enjoyed breakfast at Mosaic- absolutely loved the cocunut French Toast!!- delicious!!!! We always enjoy eating at the Misa Grill as well! Spent an entire day by the adult only pool- drinks can get very pricey though- but had a great time and day nonetheless!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DawnRHermanns
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed at The cove for a week with our three teens in August 2012. It was fantastic! The rooms are large, suite type with a living area with a pull out couch, balcony with million dollar views, huge bathrooms with separate toilet closet, two sinks, and a full bath and free standing shower. Beds were king size and comfortable. There is twice daily housekeeping and hey left s 4 bottles of fresh water daily. Everyone on the whole resort smiles and asks whether you are having a good time. I love The Cain pool with the DJ and adults only vibe (but our youngest, 15, was not allowed in the area). Drinks are wonderful and so is the food. The cove and ocean ae beautiful, with calm water and snow white sand nd palm trees. Pricey, yes, but worth it. We did water slides, lazy river and all of the other pools. The Cove s definitely the nicest spot at Atlantis.

Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Vail2Italy
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We booked a lower floor room at the Cove but ended up getting upgraded to a higher room. Always pleases people!!! I have to say, the room and bathroom etc were absolutely outstanding. We were on the end and overlooked the Cove pool and beach. Can't fault the room or servicing of the room etc. There was always chairs around the pool which only Cove and Reef residents can go to, but the beach got pretty busy. We didn't find the rest of the resort too busy, but can see how it would get busy in peak season with cruise ships added to the mix. We found eating at Atlantis really expensive and the quality of food, whilst reasonable enough, didn't necessarily warrant the expense. The pool side lunch type stuff wasn't too bad/expensive I suppose. But for a family meal out at night for 2 adults and 2 children you are looking at minimum $150 more like $200-$300. The most annoying aspect of staying at Atlantis however.........Wifi. You had to pay for it even after taking out a small mortgage to stay there in the first place!!! Now, I can live with that, if, as in lots of hotels, you can go down to the foyer to download your emails etc. But here, the only place for free wifi was over in the Coral Towers........a BUS RIDE AWAY!!!! Now, I am not willing to pay something like $20 a day just to use the internet for 5 minutes and I find it unacceptable that a resort like this doesn't at least offer a better service for this then we got. The cheapest of hotels now give you free wifi! That gripe aside........it is a fantastic resort regarding the water facilities, we found all the staff (bar one) extremely helpful and friendly, and overall, had a very nice stay. Would I go back......probably. But one tip......either take lots of snack stuff for ever hungry teenagers or take advantage of the online grocery place that you will see alot of people mention in reviews. Just a bottle of water in the hotel shops was something ridulous like $5-$6. I ended up going to the shops outside the Coral Towers to get bottles of water and coke etc.

2  Thank TravellerMich
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My daughter and I did a pre-wedding planning visit in July for her upcoming marriage at Atlantis in November. Our room was outstanding with all the amenities you would expect at a high end hotel and every room has an ocean view and ours was beautiful. This will be a romantic stay for the newlyweds. The Cain Pool is private and no kids are allowed. The ambiance is beautiful, the setting is lovely, the dj was great when there and the service was super. Messa Restaurant was incredible and our waiter was top notch along with the service at the hotel which was the same. Our visit was short and we are excited to return with our guests!

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor and it was a great location. All rooms have an ocean view so you won't...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChicagoSurprise
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Food: Good, not great. Plus over-priced. Breakfast buffet $110 for family of four and $3.50 for a Banana at Starbucks, just to name a few.

Service: Excellent for a big resort.

Kids: Had a blast. Awesome kids camp. They went from 6:30 to 10:30 a few times, meanwhile my wife and I enjoyed fine dining. Kids over 5 have plenty to do. Kids love it here! The water rides are excellent. Also, beautiful aquariums and other fish pools.

Weather: very hot in the summer. Usually very nice after Sept..

Gambling: Not bad, however, if you play craps the dealers can be hostile, which ruined it for me.

Hotel: Still new and very nice.

SPA: Beautiful and relaxing. Very nice workout area!

Other: U.S Customs was a nightmare...two and half hours, two days in a row. U.S Customs stinks everywhere. Five guys servicing a thousand people at the same time. Shuttle service is very convenient for those not wanting to walk this big property to get to attractions/restaurants,

Comments:: Nice family vacation, but they are going to have a tough time competing with the new mega hotel going up twenty minutes closer to the airport. The Germans and Chines are teaming-up, and I hear it's going to be spectacular. Also, if you are at the original hotel (not Cove or Reef) you will burn your feet walking the pool/beach area without shoes/sandles. Beware jellyfish in the summer. Lots of kids were stung the week we were there.

Room Tip: Ocean View...need I say more?
2  Thank kenny a
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and our two kids age of 9 stayed at Atlantis cove in August. It was great vacation. We stayed at ocean view suite with one king bed and one sofa bed. The rooms were really great and specious. Everything in room was perfect. King bed was comfortable, sofa bed was good too. All amenities in room good. There were two tvs, usb charger and bose surround sound system. There was one walking closet to keep our bags and enough drawer to keep our stuff. Bathroom was great. It looked like luxury home master bath!! It has huge tub, walk in shower, two vanities, and separate toilet area. I liked there shampoo and conditioner. There was balcony and it has great view of pool and beach.
Hotel lobby was elegant. Staff was really nice and check in was very smooth. There are shuttle between all towers. We tried to visit all areas. Pools were great. Adult only pool was nice. The rapids river was very good but they had some problem so we had to get out every half way. Whenever there are too many cruises landing atlantis get crowded too. We tried to stay at the beach and used water park when only cruise was arriving. We went checked online which day how many cruise are coming.
We are vegetarian and went for Mosaic restaurant for first night dinner. As a vegetarian we didn't have much choice and it was very expensive. Last day we went to Marketplace and it has more choice but it wasn't tasty like Mosaic. Price difference was only $10 between this two buffet. Marina pizzeria in property had great pizza, pasta and garlic bread. Price was good too!!! Everything in property was expensive specially water. We realized local store in bahama sells 1 Liter water bottle for $3 while in paradise island one small bottle is for $6. Hotel to town is $4 per person in taxi. If possible one person can visit city at arrival day and purchase enough water for stay.
We booked our trip from expedia. We did airport to hotel transportation through expedia service with Majestic tours. They charged us $40 per person for roundtrip. Airport to hotel was $32 per taxi!!!
Our kids went for Dolphin kay, which was very expensive $150 per person. All they do is take lots of pictures and try to sell it. Whole hour they took pictures of each person in different style.
Overall we had a great time specially with kids!!! If we ever go to bahamas again we know what will be we are staying!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!