“Baby sitting at the Cove and Reef - Atlantis”

The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Baby sitting at the Cove and Reef - Atlantis”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We just came back from The Reef in March 2012 and stayed for 6 nights in an ocean view room studio suite. The studios have a dishwasher, sink, refrigerator, cook top, mini bar, dishes and silverware, etc. Anything not in the room such as dish detergent can be purchased in the lobby store. They also have baby food, diapers, etc. The 1 bedroom suites have a full kitchen and washer/dryer combo unit. Beautiful!

For the baby - we have a 6 month old. They have cribs and crib sheets as well as a care package that they will give to you should you ask free of charge! It consists of Johnson and Johnson baby products, and a nightlight. Be aware-they do not offer baby tubs, bottle warmers, bibs, etc. Also the Atlantis is really not stroller friendly with tons of stairs everywhere so bring a baby carrier to strap to you. That worked the best! Atlantis is great for little babies as well as adults so feel free to bring babies. There are tons!

We also used the Babysitting service everyday for approximately 6-7 hours a day. The Cove and Reef have the same babysitting service and use the same sitters. The rates went up. It is now $25/hour before tip. All babysitters are CPR certified, drug, criminal, and health checked for any diseases etc. Most have been with the Atlantis for 5 or more years. They have 130 sitters in the Beach, Coral, and Royal towers and 80 in the Reef and Cover towers. I was very skeptical of using this service for obvious reasons however, we had no issues other then small things like, not able to get the baby to bed at the right time in the crib but that is to be expected at a new place and with a new sitter not used to your baby. Our sitter was very good and trust worthy. You are not allowed to tip them cash - everything is done per a form that they hand you upon entering your room. They can also join you at the pools, etc but the parents have to be present. Otherwise they are NOT allowed to leave your room for any reason. When you set your sitter up ahead of time - you will get the same sitter everyday. They do not believe in changing sitters unless there is an issue like personality differences. Overall - I would recommend the service however, I would interview the sitter before allowing her to sit. Have her come 1/2 early. I would also do periodic spot checks to help with your insecurities. Hope this review helps!

19 Thank DeeDeeGirl007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We loved everything about the cove .the pool area is the best ever,all the stuff very nice and pleasant...great hotel!!!!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank NRNYC
Sullivan's Island, South Carolina
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Overall, we had a great experience.

My wife and I travel alot. We don't have kids so it makes it easier to afford nice vacations. When we travel we usually stay in very nice hotels or in some cases very expensive hotels that weren't that nice - but I digress.

We have been to the bahamas many times. Usually it was the first or last leg of a cruise - we did stay once at the Sandals Royal Bahamian for a friends wedding and generally enjoyed that trip.

Overall I was very reluctant over the years to go to Atlantis because of the experiences I had had in Nassau previously. From a service end it was like everyone was doing you a favor just to get you a drink or bring you a hamburger. In general the service seemed reluctant at best or even downright surly. My attitude was I was gonna go somewhere else and get good service.

WE decided a couple months ago to try Atlantis based on friends recommendations, the fact they were doing some deals, and there were also some pretty good flight scenarios from Charleston, SC where we live.

I picked the Cove based on the reviews from tripadvisor.

We stayed 4 nights and I have to say it was one of the best vacations we have ever had. The cove is a beautiful hotel. All of the open areas are gorgeous and the room was very nice. We had the views of the ocean and the rest of atlantis and had a nice balcony area to hang out on.

Bathrooms were great. As previously stated, the hotel rooms are showing a little bit of age. But again, a very nice room.

We liked being at the cove away from the frenetic nature of the towers but just a quick ride or walk away from all of that action.

I was very impressed with the general attitude and service we received from people everywhere on the property. Maybe I had set the bar kind of low because of my previous experiences in the bahamas but I did not run into any poor service situations the whole trip.

We ate at Mesa Grill. My steak was good but my wife's fish was overcooked - probably would not go there again. We ate at Dune located at the "one and only". It was very good. We kind of did casual the other 2 nights but generally the meals were good - and of course very expensive.

The water parks and aquariums are pretty much unbelievable. It was so much fun and the detail of the architecture of everything on the facility is very impressive.

Some negatives:
Yes, as alluded too in other posts they could tone down the incessant rap music. I used to DJ for a living and I was totally sick of it after our first few hours at the adults only pool. Service by the pool was decent but not much better than that. I did what other people had suggested and stopped by the liquor store on the way to the hotel and got beer, vodka, wine
and water. I packed my cooler and went down to the pool and didn't have to wait for anybody.
I also get a little sick of the people that throw a magazine on a chair in the morning and "reserves" a chair for all day. We were looking for a spot one afternoon and half of the chairs were empty but supposedly "reserved". They could handle the service around the pool better IMO.

Yes, everything is frickin expensive - it's Manhattan, south beach expensive - probably even more than that when it comes to the food. That may end up being a big problem for atlantis when they finis that other huge resort being built on Naasau. Our cab driver to the airport said the Chinese are putting billions into that property and that it would be much less expensive than atlantis.

Having read so much on here about how expensive everything was down there I think we were fairly prepared when we finally arrived and didn't go into shock when we were in the middle of it.

Overall I was extremely impressed with the friendliness of the people that worked at the resort and just the overall beauty of the place and the fun options it offered. I think the ideal scenario would be to go down there as a major gambler and get some things comped.

We will hopefully be able to go back and bring some of our nieces and nephews.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank kelly m
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed at the Cove Atlantis for Spring Break-6 rooms and another 6 at the Reef. Horrible experience- the only word the staff knows is NO. Every time we tried to do something we were told by the staff we couldn't do it. What an over priced bad service property.
Skip it no matter what anyone says.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else where the stay cares about customer service.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank Fshjill
new york city
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Do not come here expecting a relaxing, luxurious vacation. There is American style hip-hop music playing constantly at the pool and beach so loudly and with such a heavy base you literally cannot get away from it. When I asked a worker if the music could be turned down or off, he replied that "there are other beaches and pools (on the property) without music". But I paid to stay at the Cove!

I have been to Atlantis 3 times altogether because my teenage kids like it and it works well for them. Each time I say we are never returning and then we do because there are limited choices in the caribbean for families with teenagers in terms of nightlife and daytime activities.

But now I think I am truly done with Atlantis. It is not a nice place. No matter what you pay, you cannot have a pleasant experience there. The service is terrible, it is not customer oriented.

Room Tip: Try Comfort Suites - basic but much cheaper, quieter and with all use of Atlantis property.
7 Thank laurencnm
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Although Atlantis is a very pretty resort property, it takes advantage of the fact that there are few restaurant choices aside from the resort and I believe takes the position that the beautiful surroundings are enough to offset the lack of customer service and outright rip-off nature of the place. The restaurants tend to fall into the following categories: very expensive restaurants with mediocre/good food, overpriced pool side snack bars which rival carnival food, and an expensive buffet that lacks quality and choice. The snack bars, incidentally, charge a 15% gratuity with an additional line for "extra gratuity" even though you pay at the register and all they do is bring your food to your table...even that took too long. My husband avoided the wait by ordering the veggie and hummus wrap for $11 which was convienently tucked under the counter near the register but it was tasteless and probably was recycled from the buffet the night before. I'm all for recycling but not at those prices and not when the food is mediocre. Moreoever, if you want to change your dinner reservation within 24 hours of it you will be charged a $50 penalty even though you are making a reservation for another restaurant on their property. You assume they do this because you are taking a table away from another customer but then you show up to find that the restaurant is only half full. Incidentally, when we tried to call to switch our reservation it was a 15 plus minute phone ordeal of being sent to one place and then holding only to be told that we needed to speak to someone else at another place. What a hassle. Lastly, if you plan to work out at their fitness club, it is a $25 per person charge and to go online, it is $14.95 daily per room (at least it's not per computer). So, unless you are completely sold on water rides, save yourself the aggravation and their nickle-and-dime approach and go to another resort.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alicia T
Floral Park, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This was the second part of my trip. We flew from Freeport, Grand Bahama Island. An hour flight. The first thing I can say after coming from Freeport: it was a culture shock!!! From relaxation to fancy clothes and Hollywood appearance. As we were just in it for casual vacationing, we felt out of place. We also arrived at night, just when all the diners, partiers and gamblers were going out, we were just arriving with sandals and shorts! After the culture shock and we entered the rooms, that's when we appreciated the hotel. The rooms are awesome! large rooms, HD TV's, Bose sound effects, lighting, beautiful bathrooms, what's not to like? No free internet and cost of food and shopping is ridiculous. But there's 2 locations to eat that are reasonably priced: Starbucks and if you're willing to walk to Marina Village where Johnny Rockets and a Marina Pizza is located. Marina Village is about 20 to 30 minute walk. Be prepared to stand on a long line in Starbucks, cause you won't be alone. I find it less of a line if you get up early, like 7:30 am. What's to like: It's a water park without the lines, well at least when we went. The Aquarium is beautiful. Probably the best I've seen. Entertainment is everywhere. Just walking along the various hotels, there was something going on. At night there's a comedy club, a movie theater, gambling, restaurants and bands playing most everywhere. During the day, there are various water slides and the beach. Our favorite water slide was the rapids. A lazy river on steroids!
We didn't book any activities here but we booked some out of Atlantis. Dolphin Encounters was excellent! And Stuart's Cove was very good but their location wasn't appeasing as it's near the islands energy plant which gives off a foul odor.

1 Thank ocamacho
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#13 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!