“As the comedian said in the nightclub "if they could figure out how to charge you for the air you breathe they would"”

The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This was a third trip to the Atlantis resort but our first at the Cove. The others were at the Royal Towers. Being at the Cove you don't feel the crowds of Atlantis at all and if you don't have children under 18 you can enjoy the fabulous adult only pool. It is gorgeous and has the most amazing DJ playing the greatest mixes of music from 9-6 every day. I am a big beach person but found it hard to leave the pool area. I was a bit taken aback that it cost $150 to rent the sunbed but no one ever said Atlantis was cheap.

The room we had in the Cove acomodated three adults - my husband and my son. It was a gorgeous room and as nice as any room we have ever had a luxury hotel. Two flat screen TV's and a beautiful marble bathroom.

Now here is why I won't go back. They literally charge you for every single thing. We took the food plan. LIttle did I know that I would still have to pay for every 15% service charge tacked on to every bill. Bottled water - not included in food plan. And I love this one..... If everyone in the family does not eat together at the same time you get charged for that person's meal. Do they realize that this is vacation and perhaps some people sleep later in the morning than others? Apparently not. After some discussion they fixed this but it was outrageous. The new teen club that they tout for 13-17 years old is a great place for teens to meet each other and have something to do at night but it cost $25 every night and that includes nothing.... not a soda, not a peanut. NOTHING. $15 a day to work out and get rid of that big breakfast buffet. You are better off just walking from the Beach Tower to the Reef and save your money. One Pina Colada was $16, What pray tell was in that?

We knew going in that Atlantis was expensive as we had been there before and I will say again that it is a beautiful place but unless you have a lot of disposable income and money isn't really an object I believe that all inclusive resorts (which we have been doing of late) are a much better deal and value).

The food choices were good and the restaurants were pretty good with the exception of Chop Stix. I didn't recognize it as Chinese Food.

Again, if you want to go and want to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds of Atlantis but still want the experience look into the Cove. You won't regret it - but break open everyone's piggy banks first.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank sharitrav

Reviewed August 21, 2011

A huge disappointment from the start. We stood in reception for 15-20 minutes while the only person working dealt with another family. Then another employee showed up and wasn't exactly friendly.
We tried the Casades pool and cafe first and the place was packed and the food choices shocking. We then moved to the largest pool on the resort and it was like a disco. I could on but I can't be bothered. We are still here sadly. I go on vacation to relax and I can't. There's a lot to do but no-one bothers to tell you about anything. And you can't get a table at a restaurant before 9.15pm if you try on the day or even a couple of days in advance. Dolphin Cay person on the phone was rude. The tour guide of the kids adventure centre was clueless. We just got room service and they gave us no cutlery with which to eat dessert! Young kids will love the waterpark. Adults with any taste at all will detest this place.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Russfrancis
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I would NEVER recommend anyone to waste their small fortune on this resort. My husband and I went on our honeymoon and this is how it went:

The whole island looks likes a 3rd world country with someone trying to hustle you everywhere. Then you get to "paradise island" which is like a beautiful mirage in the middle of an ugly desert. I thought for sure that this would be an amazing trip by the appearance of the resort.
We stayed at The Cove, which is the best (and apparently one of the most expensive hotels on the property). Staying in this hotel allows you access to all other hotels on the property. It is breath-taking and features an indoor-outdoor feel with no walls keeping you away from the greenery and fountains in the common areas. We had a 17th floor suite with an ocean view (very expensive upgrade but wouldn't have it any other way). Needless to say, as with any other vacation I've been on, you assume that the more you pay, the better the service. WRONG assumption here.

We had a 4 night stay initially that we later extended to an 8 night (i'll explain that later). The first night we ordered room service-sub par food and prices are definitely outrageous for any resort, as was everything else we did. We woke up and went down stairs for breakfast where one of the many downfalls of the resort was discovered-a 1 HOUR WAIT TO EAT BREAKFAST in which you had to stand up in a line that stretched throughout the hotel halls (reminiscent of a grade school cafeteria). I started to wonder if I was at a cheesy Sandals resort where people pay a small "all inclusive" fee and fly, board, and eat for this nominal amount of money. I was floored! Then, the VERY rude restaurant hostesses walk down the line and get your name (no good reason for that) with NO further information or apologies. They were not even embarrassed being an elite hotel and restaurant. In line, we met a couple that came to the Bahamas from Poland. They had already been at the resort for a week and shared their bad experiences with us (prepaid for deep sea diving and no one showed up to take them, CONSTANT CANCELLATIONS of children's events, complaints to staff went unresolved). They stated that, after traveling the world and visiting resorts across the globe, Atlantis was the worst one. We were weary of our future by the point, and this was not the only guest complaint we heard while there. BY THE WAY, this long line for breakfast was never remedied throughout our 8 night stay.

You will find that you pretty much have to fend for yourself, as no one is very helpful and no one will advise you of places to go, procedures, etc. We missed out on so much the first 4 nights, and after befriending a couple that were Atlantis veterans, we extended our stay in order to take advantage of the activities suggested by our new friends. Speaking of these new friends, they stated that they had been to Atlantis 5 times and they were unsure if this would be the last as well. They told us that the service was declining.

Not having children, I will review our 'adult experience'. The adult pool closes at 6 and you are not allowed to even be around it after that time (assess the irony of an "adult' pool closing earlier than the children's area). There's a dj there everyday and Saturday there are "models" flown in to dance on the pool beds (they don't dance at all-they sit and drink). You have to arrive to the pool at sunrise in order to get somewhere to lay/sit.

I love animals, so my husband arranged for us to have a private deep swim with the dolphins. The brochure pictures shows people holding on the dolphin's fin and swimming with it. Other pictures show people in deep water swimming along side the dolphin alone. WRONG! We were given wetsuits that were still wet to put on, joined a group of 6, watched an instructional video for 20 minutes, and went to this small area where the dolphins were with their trainers. We then posed for pictures next to the dolphin and the photographer left-no underwater pics like the brochures stated! Then we were taught AGAIN about the dolphin parts and behavior. Next, we each got on a boogie board and the dolphin pushed us with his nose for 3 seconds. Now it was time to "swim" with the dolphin. This was a joke! We were given goggles and some type of motorized, hand-held contraption that allows you to move quickly through the water. The instructor swam with the dolphin while our group swam ON THE SURFACE behind the dolphin for 10 minutes. WASTE OF $400! To make matters worse, you are shuffled into a store where you can buy your photos. 2 printed pictures were around $90. We bought the cd for $120. OUTRAGEOUS!

EVENING DINING: Mesa Grill (renowned Bobby Flay's restaurant) was very good, however, service was horrible. My husband ordered a dish that included a filet with different sauces. When the waiter gave him his plate, it was a fatty ribeye disguised beneath sauces! When we told the waiter, he indicated that he thought we wouldn't notice the difference!!!!! I educated our waiter by letting him know we were from Texas-we KNOW steaks!

Nobu is a pricey sushi/Japanese restaurant. It was terrible. The sushi options were that of a Chinese buffet-california roll, spicy tuna roll, etc. The hot dishes were better but extremely small and extremely expensive. We got charged for asking for more soy sauce. The service was bad as well.

Mosaic is the restaurant where you eat breakfast. It serves buffet style for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The service is bad and they are severely understaffed, however, the food is very good. This was unlike your typical understanding of American buffets. It included lamb shank, steak, made to order pastas, ethnic food, extensive cheese table, sushi, etc.

NIGHT LIFE: Aura, the nightclub on property, is only open Wed-Sat. (would have been nice to know that). It is another example of misleading advertising. it was filled with teenagers trying to drink without their parents around! IT was like a bad high school party! Never again!

The casino is pretty big with more slot machines than anything else. In the Royal Tower, where the casino is, there are men that will solicit you to BUY DRUGS in the bathroom. Everytime my husband went to the bathroom, some men would approach him trying to get him to buy cocaine.

CHECK OUT: We booked our initial reservations online (4 nights), which included free breakfast. We extended our stay 4 more nights and my husband asked the reservations representative at the hotel to make sure it was identical to our first reservation. The woman confirmed that it was identical. During checkout, we went over the bill and noticed that we were charged for breakfasts during our last few days ($70 for breakfast each morning). When we addressed this "mistake" with the front desk, she said we did not get the promotion for free breakfast when we rebooked. Simple fix, right? WRONG! I mean, are they really choking on $210 dollars after we spent $12,000 at the resort on room chargers and personal credit card!!!! The manager said "I will have to review the taped recording of your conversation with our reservations rep to verify that you were told your reservation would be identical to the first." SERIOUSLY! Who says that to a customer!!?? "let me make sure you're not lying about $200 bucks!?

We will never go back to the Bahamas...The people are rude and everything is 5 times more than other resorts with better service. I will make sure this review is on every site I can think of. I don't want anyone to have this experience and waste their money.

THE ONLY POSITIVES: Michael, the bartender in the casino at the bar closest to the bathrooms, is the best employee on the property. He made it so much fun to drink in his area each night.
The aquariums were amazing!
The room was beautiful and the hotel didn't cut corners on quality and craftsmanship.
Landscaping and total ambiance of The Cove is astounding!
The white sand and clear water are remarkable

I have videos of everything so feel free to contact me for those!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
19  Thank reemy411
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Pros - The rooms are great but are starting to show a little age . The bathrooms are bigger than hotel rooms in NYC .
You have access to all the madness that is Atlantis but when you want some quiet time you can have that at the Cove pool or beach which only Cove and Reef have access to .
The open lobby and grounds are beautiful . If you play golf you have access to the ocean club which is a must play.
If you have kids book the Dolphin excursion .
Cons - The breakfast line at Mosaic is brutal if you are not there by 7:30 - 8:00 am. After 8 you'll wait on line for upwards of one hour. Once your in the buffet is great .
They add gratuity to EVERYTHING when you figure this out and stop tipping you get an attitude.
Be prepared to walk the grounds are immense .
You must be on the meal plan or you will pay some hefty dinner bills here.
Don't expect any local feel this place is more like Vegas on the beach .

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank ryan1296
Reviewed August 17, 2011

The Cove Atlantis was by far the most wonderful place I have stayed. Our room overlooked the ocean and the dolphin cay. The service at reception and throughout the stay was exceptional. The staff couldn't be more pleasant and polite.

The resort has amazing pools, water slides and aquatic exhibits. My grandchildren loved every moment there as did we.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the wrap around balcony facing the ocean and the dolphin cay.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank baileydrexler
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The Cove at Atlantis proved to be one of the most disappointing vacation spots ever. We were two adults and two pre-teen kids and selected the Cove for access to all the Atlantis perks like the water park. While the hotel was quite nice, it's location within Atlantis proved to be its downfall.
First, the Atlantis is huge contradiction. While certain areas are lovely and fascinating for the kids (all sorts of aquariums everywhere), other areas are strewn with trash and bird droppings. There was garbage floating in the lagoons. Towels were near impossible to refresh - we ended up hiking across the park to the cove depot for new towels. Service was horrible. And the crowds were unbearable. It seems all cruise ship passengers and visitors to the island make a stop here. It felt as if the park was filled to capacity every day. Lines for restaurants were unbearable. We waited 50 minutes in line for the buffett one night. And everything is very, very expensive.
The Cove did stand out from the rest of the Atlantis hotels and I must admit was decorated in a very contemporary fashion that was very lovely. However, the hotel felt like another park attraction, thier version of a "fancy hotel". A luxury hotel is not only defined by it's decor, it mus also have the services. This hotel did not, it was very impersonal and cold. Very few staff around, service was average at best. Our suite was nice but once the sofa bed was pulled out, there was very little room to move around or access the balcony. The beaches were a bust. Since the beaches are man-made, they seem to be a bit stagnant, with very cloudy water.
Overall, not a value at all - I would recommend staying at another property on the island and visiting the Atlantis for a day. IWe also took a great boat trip to a deserted island which was fantastic! We booked the trip throught the hotel. This was our second, and last, trip to the Atlantis.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank 400CPW
Reviewed August 15, 2011

While I'm happy that I visited the Cove, I will most likely never come back. That said, the Cove is STEPS above the rest of Atlantis.

The good:
1. Comfortable room with a great ocean view.
2. Beautiful beach.
3. Cain (the adults-only pool). Great music and great food for lunch. Unfortunately, there was no adults-only beach.
4. Swimming with the dolphins-- truly an amazing experience.
5. The Cove's VIP staff. Top notch.

The bad:
1. Massively overpriced. $600 (plus 20% tax) for a suite in July? I just stayed at a comparable (albeit much smaller) hotel in Turks for half the price.
2. Too many kids running around. In the hotel. At the beach. In the restaurants. Could turn a pro-lifer pro-choice, and a pro-choicer into an abortionist. Seriously that bad.
3. Chaotic beach. You wake up at 7am and drag your beach chair into the perfect spot, only to have someone else park their chair 18 inches away.
4. Too many B&T Long Island and New Jersey denizens. I live in Manhattan so I don't have to deal with them on a daily basis. See number 4 for a quick insight into their typical beach behavior.

All being said, if I were the proud father of four instead of a single, jaded Manhattanite, I would take my kids here in a second-- it's like Disneyland meets the beach. But being who I am, it's unfortunately....Disneyland meets the beach.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Locke_NYC
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 37 in Nassau
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island

Been to The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!