“Disappointing”

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
London, Canada
“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 5, 2006

I find myself in the unfortunate position of having to give a less than favourable review for the first time. For those of you who are already booked to stay at the RIU Paradise Island, I hope my review is helpful in providing tips to avoid the problems we encountered. This resort certainly doesn't deserve the 5 star rating it has been given by Sunquest but on the other hand it has enough redeeming qualities that you can still have a great vacation with a little luck and if necessary some specific requests at the resort.

We stayed at the RIU for 3 nights with a large group in early February 2006.

TRANSPORTATION TO/FROM RESORT: Our flights were with Canjet. The flight there was about 3 hours from Toronto and a little less on the way home. The plane was pretty small and of course as with all charter flights the seats weren't exactly roomy but that is to be expected. Luggage pick up and the customs drill was quick and efficient. We were transported to the resort by bus. The bus ride was about 30 minutes and it was an interesting drive mostly along the coast. It was really unnerving at first to be driving on the "wrong" side of the road though.

ROOM: Our room (216) was probably one of the worst I have ever had the misfortune of staying in. The only reason we did not demand a room change was because the trip was organized and paid for by someone else and we did not want to appear unappreciative or be overly demanding in those circumstances. If we had paid for the trip ourselves we would immediately have insisted on a room change, failing which I would have switched resorts. Where to start? The worst aspect of our room was the "view". Our balcony (very small) was right on top of a huge duct work and air conditioning system. It was ugly beyond belief and to add insult to injury, the huge air conditioning units were so loud even with the sliding glass doors shut you could hear the noise. The room itself reminded me of an older Holiday Inn type room with carpeting on the floor (as opposed to ceramic tile which is the usual flooring at tropical resorts in my experience). The room was reasonably clean with the exception of the tub which had mold (mildew??) in it. The bathroom was so small that two people couldn't be in there at the same time and it was a challenge to open the door if the bathmat was beside the tub. We were provided with wash cloths only the first day we were there which was a pain. We only got one little bar of soap during our entire stay and only once got shampoo which was a tiny little bottle we received on the second day. That was very inconvenient because I had forgotten to pack shampoo and was forced to buy a bottle in the gift shop for $7 (and the same bottle would have cost $2.99 in Canada). There is no coffee maker in the room which was a disappointment. There was a hair dryer provided with the room (not attached to the wall like most) and it only worked the first time I used it. After that it was dead.

The room access cards were simply a joke. They were obviously old and should have been replaced a long time ago. It took us an average of 5 to 10 minutes to get our room door to open each time. I finally went down to the front desk and when I explained the problem instead of just replacing the cards they sent up the "engineer" to give us a lesson on finessing the cards in the slot to get it open faster. That little exercise was absolutely useless. One couple in our group finally demanded new cards which solved the problem for them. I regret not having insisted upon new cards ourselves us because it was ridiculous how long it took us to get in our room each and every time.

If upon arrival you find you have been booked into either room 216 or 214 I would strongly recommend you request another room or you will regret it. Also, if you run into any of the other problems I have mentioned don't take no for an answer in getting the issue resolved. The rooms at the back of the hotel are closest to the beach and will afford the best view. I understand from speaking to other guests that the rooms facing the pool were quite loud (music and loud voices from the pool area) but that would have preferable to what we ended up with.

BEACH: The beach was the best part of the resort in my view. The beach and the water were both very clean and beautiful. The waves were simply huge most of the time and we had a great time body surfing. I would have been concerned if we had our kids with us though because the waves were so big and the undertow was incredibly strong. If you don't like big waves that will knock you on your butt you might not like the beach but we just loved it.

The sand on the beach is very dense and sticky. The beach is very long and wonderful for a walk but it is quite a work out because the sand texture made it more difficult than usual to walk in. There is no bar on the beach so you have to walk up a large set of stairs to get a drink at the pool bar. There are lots of beach vendors wandering around but I didn't find them to be too pushy. There are jet skis for rent on the bench but they are not connected with the resort. My husband rented a jet ski and the engine blew up out in the ocean and they had to go out to "rescue" him.

WEATHER: The weather was a mixed bag. There were often clouds but we got enough sun and warmth to satisfy us most of the time until the last day. The third night we were there it started pouring rain in the early evening and the rain lasted for a long time. There was a leak in the lobby area with water pouring in and a bucket in place to catch the water. The last day we were there we were planning on spending the morning on the beach but to our surprise the lobby doors to the beach and pool area were locked and there was caution tape stretched across the doors. I have never been to a resort before where they lock the guests in! We eventually went out the front of the resort and accessed the beach by the public beach path. It was incredibly windy to the point where it was difficult to walk and the sand was blowing around so strongly it was like you were being sandblasted. The sand really hurt when it hit the skin and it was absolutely freezing. Basically the beach and pool area were off limits for most of the day.

FOOD/DRINKS: We ate at two of the a la carte restaurants and I would have to say the food was definitely above average for an all inclusive resort. The beer tenderloin was very good. We did the buffet for breakfast and lunch but never tried it for dinner. It was comparable to other AI resort buffets although I ended up with cold pancakes and french toast each time I tried them in the morning. I found the mixed drinks to be quite strong but that wasn't a problem for me. I was rather disappointed that they only had one kind of beer (Miller Genuine Draft) which I didn't particularly like. It would have been nice if they had the local beer to try (Kalik). I eventually went out to the liquor store to buy some.

POOL: There is only one pool. Compared to the other pools we've seen at other resorts, I would describe the RIU pool as being on the small side but it is reasonably attractive all things considered. When the weather co-operated we spent most of our time on the beach but there were lots of people by the pool. The lounge chairs are very close together around the pool and the pool area is pretty small. The pool deck was very very slippery most of the time.

AREA ACTIVITIES: Atlantis is a short walk from the RIU either by beach or by road. We walked down the beach to the casino one night and wandered through the resort a bit. It is a very beautiful resort. At night they don't have security checking bracelets so we weren't stopped as we explored. If you go during the day though you are restricted as to where you can go.

We took the ferry over to Nassau one morning which was an interesting excursion. The ferry ride itself was fun. They guide on the ferry was a fountain of interesting information. The straw market and the shops are just a short stroll from where the ferry drops you off. The straw market had lots of touristy souvenirs and if you are a good bargainer you can get some good deals. There were a wide variety of "knock off" designer purses in addition to the usual souvenir stuff. I found that the prices though were much higher than you would find in New York City for the same faux purses. There are lots of little shops to check out and I have never seen so many jewellery stores in one place. If you want to shop for jewellery Nassau is the place to be!

We also did a boat cruise which was a blast. The whole area is definitely a boater's paradise.

SPA: I had a massage at the RIU spa which was just wonderful. It was done on a little hut beside the beach and it was so relaxing to hear the waves pounding in the background. The spa offers a wide variety of services so there's something for everyone.

RESORT & BAHAMAS GENERALLY: The staff at the RIU were reasonably friendly most of the time and the service was not bad. Some of the staff were better than others. We've stayed at a number of 4 and 5 star all inclusive resorts in other countries and the RIU Paradise Island just didn't even come close to comparing (with the exception of the beach). I think it would be generous to give the RIU a 3 star rating frankly. The resort is pretty small and tired but the beach really does compensate for some of that and I can't say that we had a horrible time because we accepted the problems early on and focused on the positive. I will admit we would likely have been a lot happier if we had been given a better room. (In all honesty, I just can't believe that they would put ANYONE in rooms 216 and 214.) I have written glowing reviews for each of the other resorts we have stayed at but unfortunately I cannot in good conscience do the same for this resort.

Overall we loved the country and there are some beautiful beaches to enjoy. The Bahamian people were very friendly and welcoming wherever we went which we really appreciated. We would likely return to the Bahamas but would definitely stay at another resort.

33 Thank HeatSeeker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,179)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 4, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Riu Dec. 9 - 15, 2005 and had a positive experience. It was obviously their down time so we didn't have the issues that others mentioned when the hotel was filled to capacity. We had a room on the 7th floor, which had a great view, nice balcony and was in good shape. The bathroom was very small and left a bit to be desired. We had requested a non-smoking room but smoke made its way in from the room next door the first two nights, which was obviously disgusting. We kept the balcony door open and tried our best to cover the gap in the door between rooms.
We unfortunately had an emergency come up in Chicago as we were leaving for the airport, which put us in a position of needing internet and phone access (equally unfortunate is the fact that we were going on vacation to get away from both!). The per minute charge in the room is ridiculous but on the ground floor is a cybercafe, which literally charges 90% less for phone use. Their Internet prices are ok but the best option is the cybercafe in the strip mall just past The Atlantis.
Speaking of The Atlantis, it is only a 60 second walk from Riu. We took advantage of the Bahamas International Film Festival and some of the shops at The Atlantis. We were happy that we hadn’t decided to stay there because there were children everywhere. I have no problem with children – that just wasn’t the type of environment we were seeking.
At Riu, we had excellent service from check-in through check-out. The bar staff (both inside and outside) is particularly noteworthy. I also appreciated how immaculately clean they kept the property. The beach area is nice and we never had any trouble finding lounge chairs. The American music played in the pool area was really awful and repetitive. Having been to resorts on other Caribbean islands, I expected (and hoped) to hear local tunes.
The food was pretty much what I expected. The breakfast buffet was good, the lunch buffet was average and we ate in the restaurants each night. Getting in line each morning to reserve at one of the three restaurants was definitely worth it. There are two seatings, 6:30pm and 8:30pm, and we enjoyed having one meal each day in a different environment than the buffet. The food at each was good and the service was great.
I highly recommend taking advantage of the tours offered by Bahamas Divers (they have a stand in the Riu hut on the beach). We went snorkeling and their staff was fantastic. They were very knowledgeable and made the trip a lot of fun.
To conclude, I would say that Riu was a good pick for us because we wanted to relax, read some books and enjoy pina coladas in the sun at a laid back, comfortable resort.

Stayed December 2005
16 Thank jlherlein
New York
Reviewed January 31, 2006

I use tripadvisor all the time to decide the all-inclusive resort we will go to. So I am wrting this review for our stay in Bahamas. My husband and I stayed in RIU at the end of May. It was a good vacation overall. The room is nice and good size, and they have mini bar inside of the room that is also in the all-inclusive price, it is packed with top liquor and soft drinks, which is quite convenient. The restaurants are very good, though the Japanese restaurant is not so good, and you need reservation on it. There is a small bar by the pool side. For a few days we stayed there, it is always crowded. The pool is ok, kind of small, and too many young kids in it, which during the day, you can’t really swim. The beach is beautiful, and has soft white sand, but during the daytime it is crowded all the time. So my husband and I will go to the beach early in the morning, or around the the sunset. The sunset is absolutely beautiful, and water is usually calm, so during the “off hour”, we enjoyed our swimming around the beach. The hotel staff is very friendly. And best of all, it is just NEXT DOOR to Atlantis, which is so worth the visit. If you want a romantic getaway for just 2 of you, this is not quite the place for you. Because there are a lot of families here, and kind of crowded, so for romantic getaway, choose Sandals, it is beautiful, very private and romantic, I will not call Riu Paradise Island a romantic getaway.

• Stayed May 2005
11 Thank travelerinny
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 30, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Riu as part of a friend's wedding on the beach.

We arrived on Monaday afternoon and were transported to the hotel. Upon arrival, as you exited the bus, you were hit with the sharp stench of human sewage. It was as though we had been dropped off at a treatment plant. This awful smell existed in front of the hotel and well inside the lobby and lobby bar area. It existed for the duration of our stay.

We got to the Riu at 3PM and were told by the desk staff (after waiting in line) that our room would be ready in a few minutes. It was done in typical Carribean attitude - the staff speaks to you like you must be stupid or something. We didnt get changed or rid of our luggage until well past 5PM. Long time to be waiting for a room that normally should get maid up in the morning!

As we arrived in our room - on the 3rd floor (we requested a higher floor) we were met with a stained carpet and well below average bathroom. The bathtub was rust stained and grout was well infected with mould. The sink was small and the tap was mounted too far back from it. Cant figure that one out. The tap was missing its filter so that when you turned it on water sprayed everywhere. The cold water supply pipe under the counter was leaking and I now had wet socks. It leaked so bad that it filled the ice container each day. Bringing this to the desk's attention was fruitless - maybe they will fix it next year if they get motivated. The small sign in the corner of the mirror (hidden behind some glasses) says the water is not potable.

The food was barley adequate and repetitive. Dirty glasses, plates and cutlery visited my hands each day. Most times the buffet food was cold or dried out. Even arriving early didnt resolve this. I got sick 3 days into the 7 day trip. I have since returned to Canada and I am still ill.

Pool was very cold - could be due to the inoperative gas heaters at the deck's west edge. Spa was dirty - brown scum surrounded the water's edge and the changeroom had water on the floor.

The staff at the Riu are very carefree and lazy in this travelers opinion. They dont have to eat the food, live in the room, use the facilities etc so they simply just dont care. Except for the bar staff, thats their attitude. I have traveled to many Caribbean destinations and find that this hotel is well below the standard. If you want sun and sand hit another destination. Dont support this country's economy - if you go there you sure will - everything is well over-priced even for the Caribbean.

The weather will be much like middle Florida as it is only 50 miles to the east of Florida's coast. Dont expect too much heat mid-winter. We experienced some mid twenty deg (C) days but also some mid teens (pants and jacket) days too.

It seemed to me that unfortunately the Bahamas is doing its best to mimmick Cancun Mexico in that everyone you meet wants a tip for doing almost nothing. Even the water ferry had a guy that gave all a yelling history tour (over the sound of the engines) of the industrial harbour!!! Then he wanted a tip upon arrival at Nassau - what a joke.

We paid 1,800 CDN each for airfare and hotel. We went to St. Maarten's Sonesta Maho Hotel for less than that last year and had twice the weather, food, service and experience. Save your cash. Spend it elsewhere. Feel free to make use of my e-mail if you have questions.

• Stayed January 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 29, 2006

We have been at many Riu Resorts over the years and have loved them all until now. The Resort was OK but lacked in customer service. We went to this resort for out 10th anniversary and had a couple of problems. When checking out we were billed for calls that we did not make and were not able to see the billing for these calls. Others were also billed for calls they DIDN'T make as well. When we complained they reversed one call. There were other issues that happened and we wrote a letter to Riu when we came home. They responded by saying they spoke with the hotel and they did not find anything wrong with our stay. I responded by pointing out the flaws in their response and they have never addressed my follow up questions to date. The stay is not as much the big issue as the way Riu has handled this issue with ourselves. I sent another letter to Riu asking for an answer with a copy going to friends and family and in their response they forwarded this letter to all the people on the original letter with a copy of their original response to myself. This in my eyes breaks all privacy rules as I DID NOT give them concent to reply in this way. I would recommend that if you have any concerns regarding a stay at a Riu realize they probably don't care to hear them. Think twice when you book.

• Stayed November 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
TORONTO
Reviewed January 29, 2006

After a short drive to the hotel there was a speedy check in a seperate room set up just for the Sunquest guests. The staff were very nice and efficent.
The rooms all have an amazing oceanview and a fully stocked mini bar. The furnishings are tired but clean.
The food was excellent, there was nothing that you would want that was not offered on the buffet. The food was always hot and fresh. People would line up from 8 am to make reservations for the ala carte dinners. The reservations station opens at 9am. I went at 9:30 and asked where is the line up? She laughed and said that it sure had been there. I got where and when I wanted every day. People need to relax. The lobby bar rocked and the bartenders could not have worked harder than they did. If you want a brand name liquor, just ask or you'll get bar brands.
Scan the prices at the nicer restaurants at the Atlantis and you'll realize what a score Riu is, even just as a home base. If you go over to the Atlantis b4 9am, there is no security by the aquarium and you can just walk in.
The only quirk was the Sunquest transfer back to the airport was at 11:30 for a 3:45pm flight. We skipped it and took a cab 2 hours before and stayed at the hotel for lunch.
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2006
14 Thank LUV2GOLF
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed January 25, 2006

Hi. We were at the RIU from January 15-22, 2006 and had a great time. The flight on Canjet was good except when we checked in in Toronto, the girls at the desk were arguing about what your luggage allowance is 20 pounds per person or 20 kilos. I found it odd that they did not know as this was pretty much what they do all day long. The girl was a bit snippy (I guess bc she was frustrated) and said "That's it! I am not charging anyone anything. They can take as much as they want!" which did not instill me with confindence that the flight would not be overweight. ( For the record it is 20 kilos, 44 pounds). Also, the food was bad even for a small charter, so take some snacks.
The bus ride over was pretty good, a bit loud as we were on it with a bunch of people who had come for a wedding. The wedding people were very nice once I met them, but they were shouting on the bus to eachother and it would be nice if they understood it was not their own private charter and they were people who were not from their party on it. I understand they were just excited though.
Check in was not good. We were waiting at the desk and then someone (a guest) said "Sunquest check in is over here (a room off the lobby that was a nightclub type room)!" I don't know how she knew bc there was no sign or staff directing. They gave you a drink when you went in which was nice, but I was third in line and it took a very long time- I'd say 20 minutes. They had our rooms preassigned and key cards programmed and everything so there was some organization.
We got to our room and it was nice and clean and comfortable- just like the pictures. We had requested a king bed and got it, but had forgotten to request non smoking- but our room didn't stink. We were overlooking the a/c fan and flat top roof and yes, it was a bit noisy, but I had expected that thanks to Trip Advisor and figured that is why the trip was so affordable. Plus the sound of the waves drowned the ac noise. Smoking was allowed inside the hotel in the hallways of smoking floors and in the lobby which bothered me- but not a huge deal. In the dining room they had non smoking sections which was fine- again, I'd have preferred completely non smoking but at least here they cleaned the beach of all the butts not like in Cuba. Anyway, the food was really great. Some people were complaining about lining up for the specialty restaurants every morning(we tried the gourmet and the steakhouse-both were very good) but it didn't really bother me and if you don't want to line up the buffet is great. There was lots of food and there was a huge selection. My fave was the fresh juice bar at breakfast with all kinds of freshly blended juices like watermelon and cantaloupe and the pastries they made were awesome. I loved the cinnamon swirls. We would get there early bc other guests would pick through the paella and scoop out all the lobster and shrimp and one lady took about 20 chocolate covered strawberries leaving none for anyone else. Some people just have no manners- like the people I dubbed "The Sopranos". They had about 5 tables pushed together in a line and were screaming at eachother down the tables. I thought they were fighting but they were just talking! Then one guy kept POUNDING the table! Not once but over and over! BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG! Few seconds later .. BANG, BANG BANG! You get the idea. Anyway, I gave them an incredulous kind of look like "I can't believe you are acting this way. You are not 4 years old." and one of the guys (and these were all middle aged people, not teenagers) glared right at me and said "What? You got a problem?" all Tony Soprano like, hence the nickname. I just shook my head in a "You are unbelievable" type of way and left. Again people, I know you are there to have fun but show some manners. That is the only problem with all inclusives is they attract people who want to do nothing but get hammered and past the age of 25 that is just pathetic. I'll have a drink or two, but when that is all you do you have a problem. There were people mixing drinks at the airport gate out of a carry on! C'mon!
But I digress... The elevators were not bad until the Thurs when the 4 day trippers came. We were on the 15th floor so you only get the one elevator, but we'd take what ever came and take the stairs for a floor. On lower floors the ac would bother you more and a lot of the elevators would be full by the time they got to you.
The beach was lovely, very wavy while we were there though. One lady went in and did not respect the waves and came out crying with her bathing suit up around her neck. Be careful. I would recommend Riu put up a rope division between the public access beach which is just east of the hotel and the Riu beach to keep the cruise shippers from invading their guests' space. They can come in droves. (The chaises for Riu-ers are very abundant and you do not have to get up at 7 and reserve them with a towel draped over them- not like at the Blau Colonial in Cuba). Riu-ers are not allowed to use Atlantis' beach (although you can go use pretty much everything else but the pools and they have a Nobu! It was fabulous!) so I don't see why cruise shippers should use Riu's beach especially when there is plenty of nice beach if they head east when they come off the pulic access path. The vendors are very loud and annoying. They only ask you once or maybe twice, but they are yelling on the beach all day long "Cocktails in a coco! Who wants to get wasted?" One guy jokingly offered me 20$ if I'd tell them to shut it. If you are looking for peace and quiet on the beach you are not going to get that here.
I was a bit disappointed in Nassau with the Straw Market and shopping in general. It was either buy crap or Gucci and Cartier. The Straw Market was offensive. Tonnes of stuff piled to the ceiling in narrow aisles that you had to squeeze through with everyone hounding you to buy something. Too claustrophobic and pushy for me and I heard the same from others. I liked the Carribean Craft Centre on Paradise Island better. Same stuff without the knock off purses but a much more calm atmosphere.
The excursions we signed up for were Stuart Cove's snorkelling, the Exuma day trip and Rose Island. Rose Island was good- not great. The snorkelling was pretty good and would be good for beginners since it is off the beach. They only have masks and snorkels- no fins- but we brought our own. Lunch was okay, but I guess I had been spoiled by the buffets! They have two lovely dogs Jojo and Moda and they looked pretty healthy for outdoor dogs. Exuma got cancelled bc of the wind so we signed up for Stingray snorkelling at Blackbeard's Cay. I thought it would be less crowded and that it would be with wild stingrays in the ocean. It isn't, but it was still pretty good. Blackbeard's Cay is the Sandals resort island and the stingrays are in a large ocean enclosure. It was fun to feed them and they re very curious. Stay still and they come to you better than swimming after them. And people clear out pretty quickly so it is crowded at first but hang in there and it thins out. I laughed at the women who stood on the beach in their snorkel masks and would not go in and got all screamy. Why go at all if you are not going to go in?? Best excursion was by far Stuart Cove (who is a person, not a cove). I was ticked at first bc we were signed up for the morning but there was a snafu and they had us for the afternoon, so after some arguing I got us free use of wetsuits for the excursion and it worked out bc even though it was a warm day people on the boat were freezing bc of the wind. We bought fish food and the reefs they take you to ar every pretty. I was disappointed at the 2nd one bc I saw no Moray eels or nurse sharks, but then the 3rd stop is the shark feeding and it was the highlight of the trip by far! Getting into the water when you can see sharks (10 foot reef sharks, not nurse sharks) circling takes a bit of courage. It was surreal! Sharks would swim right at you, all curious and then duck below you, never fast though, just slowly and gracefully. It made be feel better about if I ever encountered one at another time. I have always thought they are just misunderstood and do not want to eat you, this is just proof for me. It was very affordable for what you get too: 52$ pp. It was very cool, but you do sign a form beforehand saying that even if they are negligent you cannot sue. There is no suing in the Bahamas, but they have never had a problem. I never wanted to get out of the water!
Their check in at the airport needs some work- it was very slow and bring snacks for your flight before you leave the hotel bc there are not many options at the airport. That is about it- we had a great time and would recommend this hotel and destination to our friends.

22 Thank Quabba
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!