“Five Star! No way!!!”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
UK
Reviewed January 12, 2006

Rooms are very basic, but the free alcohol and mini bar is a treat. The food is 2 star at best. Anything 'seafood' was crab sticks (now called ocean sticks in the UK as they've never been near a crab), crab stick pasta, crab stick rice...., never king prawn, crab, lobster etc.
The buffet food was very repetitive, the hot food was only ever luke marm, I'm surprised we never got a bug. The hotel and the adjacent hotel block the sun on the pool and beach so the only sunbathing time is 11.00 until 3.00.
The room maids only clean the room if you leave a big tip. The batrooms are grubby, with bad plumbing and rust stains in the old bath and basin.
Not 5 star food or hotel, but 5 star bar staff.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,954)

Reviewed January 10, 2006

"FINALLY A REAL VACATION"

THANKSGIVING 2005

I didn't pay, so I can't inform you of the value.

The rooms was nice and clean. Not the greatest, but fine for us. Small frig filled will beer, soda and water. Also, there was a small liquor cabinet with four liters ready for action. "WOW"

The beach was super clean via the beach cleaning machines. The ocean was crystal clear and the sand was the best I ever been on.

We had no problem finding a beach chair, but couldn't find beverage service on beach.

The pool was clean and towels were available at all times. It had a nice swim-up bar, but the water was a bit chilly due to the lack of sun light hitting it. The highrise blocks it out.

The pool bar was steady, but the bartenders handle all the traffic. Making specialty drinks and shots, drinking shots having fun. Good crew.

The restaurant's were great. Fresh, Fresh, Fresh. Try them all. The Lobby Bar stayed busy. The drinks keep flowing.We didn't make it to any of the shows.

The service was outstanding always ready to serve you.

Check this place out.

Stayed: November 2005
14  Thank EatDrinkNBMerry
Reviewed January 9, 2006

The RIU Paradise Island hotel is good but does not match up to the RIU standards. The new years eve dinner, new years eve party , and the new years day breakfast where excellent. The rest of the week the food was average to good with not much variation. The bar staff, in the lobby bar, was excellent and the drinks where excellent. Even when the bar was crowded they where able to wait on you quickly. The rooms where clean and well stocked with a bar and refrigerator. The swimming pool was very cold while we where there. Very few people where in the pool. One night at midnight we had two men trying to enter our room. They said they where maintence but when I asked for ID they left. We called the operator and we where told that it may be maintence since they work from midnight to 4AM so as not to disturbe the guests during the day. He would not connect us to security. The next day we told the front desk and they said security was probrally on their break at that time. However, we will still recommend the hotel but not as a 5***** but as a 3***

12  Thank philid
Reviewed January 6, 2006

Hi: First I'd like to thank everyone who previously posted a review of this hotel. I used your information as a guide map (and it helped).

Stayed at the RIU from Dec 12 - 14th. Arrived in Nassau at about 12:00pm and after clearing customs and catching a cab my boyfriend and I arrived at the RIU at about 1:00pm (traffic was pretty heavy due to construction on roads and cruise ship traffic, + Jr. Junkanoo & other holiday festivities.

First impression of hotel lobby was nice, lots of x-mas decorations and staff rocking Santa hats. I turned towards the check in and was happy to see no line at all (Tip #1 schedule vac for a Monda or Tues arrival). Out pops the infamous & energetic TJ, and armed with the information regarding the second floor rooms overlooking the airconditioning units, I preceded to request a better room with working safe, good view and working bathroom. As TJ went into the back to work his mojo a staffer appeared and offered up a welcoming fruit juice drink. (Tip #2 immediately ask for the best room in your category while checking in). TJ came back with a room key for 715 and stated "I don't want any problems from you" teasing me as if I were going to cause a ruckus. I thanked him and jumped on the elevator. Sidebar- elevator service was good, no waits as things must pick up later in week.

Room was clean, bed was king, bathroom small but stocked w/fresh towels, soap. Safe worked, fridge was stocked, and bar was complete. Balcony face pool, ocean with back view of Nassau perfect (as the view of the pool bar would become very entertaining. One afternoon one poor guy preceded to drink and dance with the bar tenders. But alas, he partied to hard and slipped & fell off the bar stool. Liquor took hold of him and he slumped over cold @ the bar only to be carried away by the two working bartenders and a patron he had been doing shots with! The terraces & pool howled with laughter as he was carted away. (Tip #3 ake it easy with the free spirits, pace yourselves).

Food was okay, had first lunch at buffet and it was standard fare. Things turned out much better in the evening though. After lounging by the beach & dipping in the indoor jaquizzi (Tip #4 use the spa jaquizzi after 5:30 when it is less crowded, decent set up, lockers, bathroom clean, hot & warm jaquizzi's to dip in) I ventured off to find out about dinner.

I grabbed a bar captain and inquired as to what time we should show up for the buffet, and continued to engage him in conversation. Asked if he had any contacts that could get us into the Gourmet Rest. & he introduced us to Trevor who was the head guy there. Trevor told us to come back at exactly 6:30pm and he'd see what he could do. Low and behold when the doors swung open we were there and given the last available table. Place was beautiful and as we walked in trays of champaine beckoned. We were seated and our waitress Daphne (?) took great care of us. I had the seafood alfredo, with an appetizer of coch cakes and fruit & ice cream for dessert. My boyfriend had fried snapper with a fruity, spicey sauce and garlic potatoes with veggie. Wine was poured, and Trevor even pitched in to serve. Nice...
As we departed we thanked Trevor for letting us in and tipped him and Daphne. (Tip #5, doesn't hurt to engage the staff dressed in black managers uniforms. Talk with them about service & dining options, we ended up with a nice dinner on the first night with no lines or hassle).

Overall food was better at Gourmet & breakfast buffet. @ breakfast the freshly made arrangements of juices with explanations was a great touch. Lots of variety with food (cold, hot cereal, pancakes, french toast, eggs any way, meats, cheeses, fruits, breads it was good. Staff was attentive and kept the dining room clean and moving. Afternoon buffet by pool was not as good but worked.

Took a early morning beach walk over to Atlantis next door (Tip #6 if you're going to venture over do so before 9:30 as you can see the aquarium without paying and view the outdoor pool, waterpark facilities) Just enter thru beach exit all the way down towards the end. Atlantis has a movie theatre we also took advantage of and shows first run movies, free.

Walked thru to Harborside Village and talked up a yactman who had a fabulous boat and was leaving for another adventure. Jumped on the Ferry into Nassau to souvenier shop (better prices than RIU, or Atlantis) and jumped on #10 bus to up to cable beach & then fish fry. Got back to RIU by 1:00pm & hit the lobby bar (better drinks in my opinion than pool bar and bartendar had no problem doubling the rum).

Did not use the RIU spa but little spa on right side of beach area had a price list that was cheaper. So that might be an option for those looking for massage but don't want to pay a lot. Beach is clean, & attendants were cool.

Overall I'd say it was a decent place. I've stayed everywhere from the Ritz to the Days Inn so I'd rank the RIU right down the middle. Not as bad as I thougt and had a good time

• Stayed: December 2005
23  Thank nigelsmom1
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2006

We just returned from 4 nights at the Riu. We were traveling with our two daughters (18 & 22). Best all inclusive hotel we have experienced in a while. Food was amazing, no line ups, no problem finding a spot at the pool or beach. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Special mention for Al, a bartender at the lobby bar in the evenings. He entertained everyone and made each guest feel special. The beach is beautiful and clean. The rooms are a bit tired but each room has a view of the beach which makes all the difference in the world. There is a mini bar fully stocked, a room safe and we always had fresh towels.
We will definitely return and stay at this Riu.

Reviewed January 4, 2006

Just returned from a brief get-away to RUI Paradise Island after the Christams holidays but before New Years's eve.
Check-in was quick, but I was the first in-line, with only 3 check-in employees. I'm sure the 20 people behind me have other comments. We were greated with a cocktail, nice touch. I was very optimistic. Our room was advertised as deluxe, and featured a nice balcony overlooking the pool. The bed linens and towels were average quality. The room was fairly clean, but obviously well-used. The furniture had scratches, and the carpets stained. The bathroom had considerable mold, stained sinks and bathtub. The shampoo was packaged in leak-proof paper (?), the soup was the size of a matchbook, and was not replaced in 3 days. The mirror had a small sign indicating the water was not potable. There was a gallon of water in the in-room refrigerator. The refrigerator was stocked with soda and drink mixers.

The hotel has four restaurants. The main restaurant, although grand in apperence, was far less. The first night we were told we had to have our dinner there, since reservations were required for the others. Reservations can only be made by getting in line at 8-8:30 am in the morning and hoping there will be room for you before they're full. We waited in line on the 2nd day and could only get in at the 8:30 sestings. There are only two seatings 6:30 and 8:30.
Anyway, the first night we ate in the man dining room, the food was average. But that was not really the concern; it was the mouse we saw dining on fallen food. We reported this to both the waitress and the maitre'd, but saw the little guy the next morning.
After that we took a taxi to Nassau and ate in the local restaturants.
As an all-inclusive, this hotel had minimal beverage choices. I am a wine drinker, and could only get either white or red server from a plactic gallon milk container. The cocktails were awful, I ordered a cosmopolitan and it was serverd with sour mix. Yuk.

So unless you enjoy gobs bulk food and drink, don't waste your time and money.
It was not cheap either.

9  Thank Grattan517
Indiana
Reviewed January 2, 2006

Let me start by saying the Bahamas are beautiful. I have traveled quite extensively and this had to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Check in was a joke. Slow and no one seemed to know what was going on. Our room was on the 10th floor... a below average room that was in deep need of updating, although it had a nice view from the tiny balcony. The people who work there don't seem to care about "working"... they talked in groups and were rude. Money was taken out of my purse (the safe didn't work) and it took several trips to the front desk to get nowhere. Our room was cleaned at various times but with towels missing, no soap, etc. The food was quite good but the gourmet restaurants were just food from the buffet jazzed up a bit. The pool was freezing, the hot tub was cold, and they only have 2 real bars during the day. When it is crowded, you can expect quite a wait for a drink. They play the same dance songs over and over by the pool, but the beach was beautiful. Forget about someone carrying a chair for you. A man just stands there and watched you do it. I am planning to write a letter to the manager of this RIU as well as the corporate manager. For the price I paid for a vacation, I expected much much more.

• Stayed: December 2005
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#3 of 14 in Paradise Island
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 36 in Nassau

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!