“Loved, Loved, Loved the Riu” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
long island
“Loved, Loved, Loved the Riu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2005

Just returned from the Riu on Friday, Oct. 7th after spending five days there with my husband and my adult son. I do not have one single negative thing to say and I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews on this website. The staff was extremely helpful and very friendly, the food in the buffet was truly amazing. I found the executive chef so that I could thank him personally. Great variety and extremely well prepared and served. The room was typical of a caribbean hotel that is not five star....clean, pleasant and comfortable. The minibar in the room is great...part of the all-inclusive package. The beach is stunning, the pool is more than adequate, and paradise island is truly the most beautiful place I know. Just remember folks, the Riu is not the Atlantis....if that's what you want, go there and pay five times as much. I can tell you this....you will not find better food, more attentive staff and it's the SAME beach. Can't wait to go back. Ladies...go to the spa and have a massage or a facial....it's wonderful.

17 Thank foxeym

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,129)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2005

For our anniversary, we stayed at the Riu Hotel for the first week in October. It was absolutely wonderful! I was a little hesitant to book the hotel because of mixed reviews on this website, but went with it anyway. It was definetly a good choice! Yes, it doesn't compare to the Atlantis right next door. But when you take into account the fact that the Riu is an all inclusive hotel, and you will probably be spending about $70 per meal (or more for dinner), you are definetly saving ALOT of money at the Riu. The lobby is amazing, with a bar open until midnight, which is always good. The food is great! I do recommend waking up early to reserve a table at one of their signature restaurants. We went to the Gourmet, and the food was ooohhhh so good! But if you're not an early bird, the buffet is definetly worth it. The pool was not big, BUT, you have the entire Caribbean Ocean 5 feet away, so why bother? The water is crystal blue! The people are friendly as well, and if you're nice to the bartender, he will be nice to you, by making that White Russian just the way you want it (tips never hurt anyone lol). I recommend this hotel to everyone going to Nassau, Bahamas. And before you go, go to the Fish Fry at the beach on the main Island at Nassau.... the best Snapper you will ever have. Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2005
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Marlboro, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2005

Ok guys, just to let you know I have been traveling since I was 12, so I know the difference between a good hotel and a bad one. I know the difference between bad food and good food, soI am not some type of a kid who doesn't know the difference between bad and the good.

FIrst of all, the hotel itself. The hotel itself is very nice. It has all the ameneties that you would need. Basically, it is very well furnished, with a beautiful lobby, a nice pool, very nice hot tubs and nice looking restaurants. HOWEVER!!!! Please dont expect nice rooms. They were clean, always had what we needed. Towels, soaps, etc... however, the room does feel like it has a motel-like feeling to it. So, dont expect marble bathrooms as in (RIU CANCUN LAS PALACE LAS AMERICAS). This hotel has a nice lobby, nice pool, etc.. but the rooms have an OLD feeling to them. I am assuming that when they re-made the hotel (from SHERATON-to RIU) they forgot, or didn't have enough money to re-do the rooms. The rooms do have an old-feel to them.

Food was OK. But you can expect that from an all inclusive. ITs not going to be GOURMET why? because they are cooking so much, and so fast, that they dont have enough time to make the food JUST RIGHT.
I have to tell you though, it was NOT BAD like some people say. There was ALWAYS something for everyone. I am a picky eater, and I always found something that I liked. I recommend the steakhouse. It had an excellent RIB_EYE, and I love steak, so I am telling you, if you want good RIB-eye that place is great. All the other restaurants are not worth it. THere is always more food in the BUFFET for dinner.

The drinks are good. Just make sure you tell them what you want. The best I have seen is JOHNNY WALKER RED, and SMIRNOFF vodka. That is probably the best that they offer. I have not seen anything better in the bars, as far as the alcohol is concerned. So, for example if you want a better bloody mary, tell them, I want SMIRNOFF w/Tomato juice, otherwise they will give you some vodka. So, just remember, if you want a good drink, remember to ask for it. They are happy to do it for you.

The BEACH and the FACILITIES:
The beach is BEAUTIFUL!!! We were unlucky w/the weather, and the waves were a little too high for my comfort. But I have stayed at that beach before when going on a cruise in July, and the beach is calm, clear, crystal blue, with wonderful sand. The beach is great guys, you would love this one. I just think that it would be even better in a "STORM FREE" period.

THE POOL: THere is only one, but I guess its adequate for the size of the hotel that it is. We did find it to be a little dirty at the end of the day, but that is because there are a lot of people using it; and they only clean it once. in the morning, be prepared for that. But during the morning and afternoon hours, the pool is clean, there is a swim up bar, which was always full of people, but you can always squeeze in and enjoy a drink.

ATLANTIS: Atlantis is beautiful, ok and so what? We went there (we actually sneaked in, passed the guards, in the early morning, and walked around). Yes, its beautiful, the grounds are LAVISH, there is a lot of property, but they have the same beach as the RIU. ALSO, IF YOU ARE super-rich and have the cash to spend like 400 bucks a night and you dont care about spending 200 bucks for breakfast then hey stay at Atlantis. Honestly, The best rooms in the house in ATLANTIS are in the ROYAL TOWERS those are the towers that are right in the center of the property. The other towers are further away from all the action. And the cheapest rooms are 2 feet away from RIU. So, guys really if you have the money to spend, go to ATLANTIS, but if you want to have a nice vacation w/everything that you need, all inclusive...Stay in RIU.

BYE!!

• Stayed October 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
25 Thank Nina L
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2005

We have just returned from the Riu, Paradise Island. What a fantastic hotel!!

The transfer form the airport took approx 30minutes with stops at other hotels before the Riu. I must admit that none of the hotels on Paradise Island looked that impressive as you approached apart from the Atlantis which is just huge. However, all fears were overcome when we entered the Riu Lobby which was very impressive.

Check in was a breeze and we were allocated a room on the 14th floor. I was a bit apprehensive as I had read reviews about the lifts being slow but we experienced no problems at all. We were in room 1416 which had a fantastic view of the beach. The odd numbered rooms look over the pool. Friends who were in lower, odd rooms could hear the entertainment at night and the music that is played by the pool during the day. We could hear the noise of the air conditioning unit down below when the doors to the balcony were open but it did not disturb us. I would not pay extra to upgrade the view as some people did, most of the rooms have a good view of the sea anyway.

The rooms are not over big (unless you have a suite) but are comfortably decorated. The bathrooms are also quite small but manageable. You do have a mini fridge with beer, soda water and pepsi and a cabinet on the wall with gin, vodka, rum and brandy which are all included in your stay. There are also ice machines on some floors.

The buffet restaurants are fine with a good choice of food to suit most people. The Steak, Gourmet and Japanese are fantastic but you need to book these at around 9:00am each day. I highly recommend the Steak as they are cooked to perfection no matter how you like them done. The only thing that I would say is that the buffet can become a little repetitive after a two week stay as I believe that the hotel is aimed more at the American tourists who tend to stay for a few nights at a time.

The pool was kept clean and tidy with a constant supply of clean towels. There are solid beds in the pool which are really relaxing. There is a swim up bar also but if you don’t want a drink with alcohol, make sure you tell the bar man or you will get one anyway!! The beach was great too but the water was a little rough during our stay partly due to hurricane Rita. You can hire a jet ski if you like. You will always be approached but the guys are really polite if you just say “No thanks” and then they leave you alone.

We found the organised trips to be quite expensive and so one night approached a driver of a stretched limo who arranged to take us for a tour of the real New Providence Island. It was fantastic and cost us around 180 dollars for seven people for a three hour tour.

You can get a ferry to Nassau for 6 dollars return which is quote enjoyable. The shops are all quite expensive. Be warned if you visit the Straw Market, go on a Thursday when there are no cruise ships docked in the harbour. It is quite overwhelming and you have to haggle, but prices suddenly become cheaper on quiet days!

Next door to the Riu is the Atlantis. You can walk through the hotel and pay to use the restaurants if you like. There are expensive shops too like Gucci, Bvlgari, Versace and plenty of diamond dealers!! At the far end through the casino (which is always busy) you will find the Dig. It is a large underwater aquarium. You can see quite a lot of fish from the outside but the entrance is guarded during the day when you have to pay 29 dollars to go in. If you go after about 7:30pm you will get in for free! It isn’t worth the money if you have to pay.

I found the Atlantis very expensive for everything from accomodation and food right down to the shops. I was quite happy that we had chosen the Riu. Other coulpes that we met had moved from the Atlantis to the Riu because if was too expensive and they had to walk for miles just to get a drink.

All in all, we had a fantastic relaxing holiday at the Riu. One thing to bear in mind is that the staff all seem quite relaxed and drinks and food don’t come as fast as you sometimes would like. But there again, I have never seen a stressed Bahamian!!!

• Stayed September 2005
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Calabash, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2005

What a fantastic trip. The all inclusive really pays off since food & beverages can be pricey on the islands. Easy walk to Atlantis Casino. Only complaint is the buffet food wasn't really hot. Friendly staff, nice rooms, pool, and great sit down restaurants.

6 Thank CoastalEntertainers
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2005

9/25-10/1
Riu- Stress on the EWWWW located next to Atlantis
Aside from lounging by the small pool (which would get very congested at high-season we stayed low season and it was fine) I guarantee you MOST of your time will be spent walking the Atlantis. After lounging by the pool all day the entertainment provided at RIU is AWFUL Props to TJ for TRYING to get the people going-God forbid you attempt to watch TV in your room at night to fill time-Static and lots of it alot of the time. Food is OK-can get very repetitive. They have an Italian, Mexican and Asian night-Very good BUT more can be done with their presentation and food selections Breakfast and lunch same thing every day. Dining facilities are nicely appointed and decorated. PS Don't waste time dining or KILLING yourself to make a reservation for the 3 Gourmet restaurants it's a WASTE OF TIME. Menus for them are dis-appointing/Limited and the desert offerings are the same ones at the buffets every day. PSS Burgers and Hot Dogs and pizza get pretty boring day after day. FYI You can only make a reservation at certain hours each morning I think by 9:30 AM (OK if you want to rise at dawn while on Vacation)and they only take them for THAT DAY-Can't make them for a day or two in advance-RIDICULOUS and they're never busy the restaurants. Hotel rooms are in serious need of updating-not alot of time is spent in the room which was spacious and clean BUT I still want an aesthetically pleasing one and not one that smells damp and feels damp and musty, the pictures they have on the walls-I'd have to be HIGH or on ACID to appreciate them. The alchohol is OK- recommend the mud-slides, and Mango Diaquaries liquor is not top shelf, if you feel your drink is "weak" the bar staff will gladly add some more liquor for you. Beer- DON'T BOTHER all they offer is Miller Genuine Draft or Kalik the island beer and typically they serve them WARM my husband got 2 cold ones out of at least 12 he had while we stayed there. People commented on the odor in the lobby area there certainly is one-THINK SEWER. The beach is beautiful alot of annoying peddlers and jet-ski sales people which will take a No Thank You and be on their way. Water this time of year is rough but I antiquate that to the time of year we traveled (Late Sept) water and beach were lovely though. Spa- Did not get to indulge-but looked nice. Priced some of their offerings-seemed comparable to NY / NJ Spas. Ultimately we enjoyed Paradise Island and felt RIU for an All-Inclusive was FAIR AT BEST and yes a good value for the $$. We booked a SUPERIOR DELUXE Ocean View room. Our original room was DEFINITLEY NOT that. We had an Ocean View off the side of the property. Beneath us a view of the AC Ducts-LOVELY Who designed this place? After approaching the front desk about it the lady there at the time must have thought I was dumb and tried to tell me that a DELUXE Ocean View was beter than a SUPERIOR Ocean View-Dictionary anyone? ONLY after our AC broke that night were we upgraded to a Suite BUT still not as far as I'm concerend a SUPERIOR Ocean View. After relocating the fire alarm was pulled by someone who was drunk twice and I was advised it had happened 2-3 X that day prior. Smoking is allowed throughout the hotel and they get alot of young people hope they have a good insurance policy.

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2005

My boyfriend and I booked the Riu for Sep 25th - 29th. We flew from Toronto on a Canjet charter. The flight was your typical charter with a light meal served, no leg room and no entertainment (short flight - 3hrs).

The Riu is a short 25m ride from the airport. Upon arrival you get a refreshing virgin juice cocktail while you check-in. The check-in for us went very fast and had no problems. In fact we received an upgrade to an oceanfront suite! I'd recommend always asking for the upgrade as you might actually get it if its available.

The room was really spacious with a living area and a huge balcony facing directly onto the ocean with an amazing view. Our room was 532, I believe all the oceanfronts end in the number 32.

The room was equipped with a well stocked mini-fridge that had pop, water, beer etc. Also the room came with a wall cabinet stocked with liquer dispensers! There was rum, gin, vodka and brandy.

Our rooms where always cleaned and restocked with no hassle daily.

I had read reviews that complained about the elevator being slow, but really had no waits longer than a minute or so.

The property does I feel need a face lift though to keep its 5 star Riu rating. Last year it was a Sheraton and since Riu took over they are trying to bring it up to Riu standard but the rooms and hallways are tired looking still. The lobby has been redone and looks great!

But the staff and overall experience was really wonderful.

For the food, the buffet was good but could have used more variety as they had the same thing on everyday it seemed. We heard the steak restaurant was not good so we tried the Japanese and the Gourmet restaurants and really enjoyed those meals. My boyfriend had the seafood pasta in the gourmet and loved it, it was full of shrimp and mussels and lobster. I really enjoyed my sushi and salmon dinner at the Japanese Restaurant.

The drinks where good and they sure new how to get you drunk fast...at one point on my boyfriends birthday we had pitchers of stuff being put on the pool bar for us and even the whole bottle of rum... Prince was great at the pool bar! Also the anamacion team where quite fun and if you like to participate in things they really get you going! We participated in the Mr Riu contest and had a great time!

If you are into night life, the resort gets pretty quiet after midnight as the bars shut down. We ended up having a bit of a party in our room one night after the bars closed as no one wanted to end the fun.

We where there for mostly R&R and we felt this place was ideal for that. But if you want a place with lots of activities and action it may not be the right choice.

The beach is amazing, although when we where there it was closed a lot due to major waves.

Make sure if you are interested in anyting the beach vendors are selling that you really bargain. We heard $70 for Jetskis all they way down to $40!!

Its sad, some vendors ask for you to bring them some food from the buffet and will give you items for free in return.

The pool is sufficient, but not what you'd expect at a 5 star Riu. It has a swim up bar and a whirlpool attached.

There is an actual hot tub and sauna in the spa area which is included but while we where there the hottub was out of order.

Overall for the price this resort is great and I would go back! I have been to huge massive resorts where it takes forever to get to places and I don't like that, so this was a refreshing change to be able to just be where you wanted within minutes.

Any questions about it please feel free to email me at mtj@caasco.ca

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,656 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!