“Paradise Found on Paradise Island”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed May 12, 2005

Like others, I too, became scared after reading the reviews of this hotel prior to my trip. I am now writing this review to say that the hotel is fabulous and the criticism is not warrented. Check-in was fast and painless. As soon as we arrived we were given drinks and welcomed by the friendly staff. The rooms are standard hotel rooms that were always kept clean by the housekeeping staff. We had a lovely view of the ocean from our balcony and were able to see the sunrise every morning. The food was most definately above average for an all-inclusive resort. I am an extremely picky eater and I never had a problem finding something great to eat. We never had a problem making reservations for the specialty restaurants (reservations began at 9am). The bar staff is fabulous! Drinks were always flowing and delicious! There were always chairs at the pool and at the beach and staff was always available to help you move chairs and umbrellas to the perfect location. The pool was a little cold but could still be enjoyed. There are vendors on the beach but they were very respectful when you said "no thanks" to whatever they were selling. Our vacation was perfect and I honestly can't think of anything worthy of complaint. We are already planning to go back next year. Please believe me when I tell you that you will have a great time and will fall in love with the RIU and Paradise Island.

21  Thank beach_gal416

Reviewed May 10, 2005

We stayed at the Riu May 6-9 for our honeymoon after being married at Beaches in Turks & Caicos. Although we knew the Riu could not compare to Beaches, we just wanted a quiet getaway after spending a week with 22 family members.

The Riu served this purpose nicely. Basically, it is a hotel on the beach, not a big resort. The lobby and restaurants are amazing in decor and detail. Buffett was pretty good. Reservations are now taken at 9am for the other three restaurants. We ate at the steakhouse and gourmet. Both were okay. The rooms were your typical hotel room. There is a fridge with some soda, beer, and a gallon of water. Liquor cabinet has some cheap booze inside.

The pool is nice, although half of it is in the shade for half the day. Plenty of chairs at the beach and pool. Beach is also very nice, except for the incessant people asking you to buy stuff. You do get sick of saying no. It was very windy when we were there, and they did not allow anyone in the water one day due to high surf.

Overall, this was a nice quiet weekend which is what we needed. I don't think I would want to stay much longer than 3 days here.

21  Thank vtkapoor
Erie, PA
Reviewed May 8, 2005

My husband and I just returned from the RIU yesterday. We were celebrating his birthday. We had a wonderful time. I had read all the reviews prior to going and I was scared. But I can tell you, we had no problems at all. All the bad reviews were proved to not be true. The rooms were nice, the elevators did not take long, the food was good, the service was good. I was very pleasantly surprised. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. I am writing this review for anyone else that is planning a trip and is reading the reviews. You'll have a great time!

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2005

We were a group of 7 women travelling in celebration of a special birthday year from April 17-21.
After reading some of the reviews in here, must say I was a little skeptical.
Upon my return home, not only can I say all skepticism was washed away with the ocean tide, but will add it was nothing short of a fabulous vacation.
The hotel was clean and tidy. Our room was spacious enough and overlooked the ocean. The service was excellant. From the front desk, to the bellmen, to the cleaning lady, to the bartenders and the restaurant staff, ALL were top notch and would do anything to make the visit most enjoyable. The food was excellant. A wide range of meals to choose from, freshly prepared and the restaurant manager was really special.
Yummy tropical drinks around the pool, quickly served and refreshing.
For those of you so lucky as to be travelling in the near future, I would highly recommend this destination, as I would have no doubts or hesitations about making this my choice of vacation destination again in the future.
Cheers!

35  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed May 1, 2005

I just returned from the Riu Paradise and have to say that it was awesome. The Rooms were clean and for first the time in my life were portrayed accurately in pictures on the website. The Elevators were fine were like normal running elevators i dont understand what some people are talking about. Staff was very friendly and so were the majority of guests at the hotel. You get Value for your money at the Riu. I have been to many all inclusives and stayed at some very nice hotels and I have to say Overall the Riu was dynamite in every category. The food was good and it was no problem booking the steakhouse on the first day you just had to be in the lobby by 8:45 which if your an early riser suited me fine even after a har night of drinking and gambling. The food in the steakhouse was good the ribeye steak was very tender didnt even need a steakknife to cut it. We did the Island adventures tour and it was incredible fed sharks, stingrays and iguanas but you also are on an absolute tropical paradise it makes the beach that the Riu is on sub par even though it is beautiful. The only thing with the island aventures is the ride there and back if the water is choppy you will be questioning why you are on the boat for 45 minutes its hell but you eventually end up in absolute heaven. My girlfriend and I met some great people at the Riu. You will enjoy this hotel unless your absolute nutcase who complains about everything and wouldnt be happy anywhere. There are so many things good I could say about the Riu. Talking to guests from Atlantis they were complaining about food and overcrowded and that it was overated. Remember when you are reading reviews its only one persons experience I read all the reviews for this hotel and was a little nervous even though there were some good some bad but when you read about every hotel there are some good some bad. Basically there are always complainers. I felt compelled to write this because the RIu is a great hotel. I hope you enjoy your trip.

34  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Guelph, ON
Reviewed April 29, 2005

My wife and I had our honeymoon at the Riu Paradise island from april 10th until the 18th. It was an amazing time! One of the first things that I want to point out is that I did read a lot of the bad reviews the RIU got, and the hotel put them all to rest. There are just some people that can't be pleased in life, people that think the world owes them something. The people who complained about the riu must have been expecting to be waited on hand and foot. If you want to be waited on hand and foot, don't go to the RIU. It's for people who don't mind doing things themselves, like getting a beach towel and walking to the bar for a drink.

So, the day we got there was beautiful, and the drive from the airport was breath taking. The check-in was easy and hassle free, and they even served us drinks while we were waiting. We loved our room and had no problems at all with it. We found it to be spacious and the room cleaners always did a very nice job, maybe it's because we always left them one or two dollars.

The poolside and beach are better than you could ask for. It always has island music playing and eventually you get to know the songs and enjoy hearing them. It reminded me I was in Paradise. The food was far better than I expected. I have never seen a buffet with so much variety! Pastas, seafood, salad bar, fries, burgers, steaks, ribs, you NAME it, and the desserts were always different. We ate at all 3 specialty restaurants, and yeah you do have to get up at 7 am if you want a reservation, but it's worth it. The japanese restaurant was very interesting and we had to eat with chop sticks.....Alexanders was hands down th best restaurant there. In fact the food there we felt was beyond a 5 star rating. The food presentation and atmosphere were stylish and elegant. The steakhouse was ok, but nothing amazing with you having to get your own drinks and salad. We never felt sick once from anything that we ate.

We made several trips over to the atlantis, and wow what a beautiful resort! It's in a class above the RIU. My one tip is that there is a movie theatre at the atlantis that is free for anyone, even outsiders. My wife and I went to see hotel rwanda one night.

The staff at the RIU were always ALWAYS happy, friendly and ready to serve you in any way possible. I can't believe that anyone would complain. The only complaint about the RIU is that the room where the nigtly entertainment happens sort of smells like old must, but you get used to it 30 seconds after you go in. It's always fun in there, and the entertainment crew really does a good job. It's not the BEST entertainment ever, but they are definitely giving it their best shot!

I really enjoyed playing in the waves and letting them roll me up on the beach. However I am a young, strong man and can handle the punishment that the waves were dishing out. A child cannot. Keep a good eye on your kids as some of these waves on some days could be enough to knock a child unconcious and drag them out to sea. In fact that actually happened on the last day I was there. So keep a good eye on your kids, this isn't the great lakes.

I hope your airport experience is better than mine as my bags were lost and all in all we ended up waiting in lines for 11 hours. The airport is so unorganized it's unbelievable. You would think that since tourism is their number one industry they would put some though and attention into the airport and making it run smoothly, like a fine tuned machine. This airport was more like a k-car.

I would recommend taking the robinson crusoe excursion, it was the best day of my life and I have never seen an island so beautiful in my wildest dreams.

I am not so good at expressing myself through words but I would say that our RIU experience has left me feeling depressed.........that I'm not there anymore because we had such an amazing time and were not only pleased, but impressed with every aspect of quality and service at the RIU. Great service, breathtaking scenery....the perfect get-away!!! We will definitely be going back.

35  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 28, 2005

I knew that I desired to go to Paradise Island in the Bahama's, and a travel agent suggested the Atlantis Hotel & Casino there as an elegant choice. Upon researching the Atlantis, I discovered that it is INDEED an elegant, first class, 5 star luxury hotel -and priced extravagantly too ! What I also discovered was that the Riu hotel chain has a property on Paradise Island about a block away from The Atlantis that is about a third of the price and has the "All Inclusive Plan" feature available as well ! The Riu Paradise was once part of a larger, older hotel chain that has been updated and modernized, and it offers an upscale, comfortable, classic, clean and affordable, family friendly destination on Paradise Island. The Atlantis Hotel is an incredible, luxurious, extravagant type of property that should DEFINATELY be included as a sight seeing destination while staying in the Bahama's, if for nothing else than it's very unique architecture. The Atlantis features an incredible marine life huge aquarium, upscale & pricey shopping, elegant rooms, a world class humidor/cigar afficianado store, gourmet food and very high prices! lol. I stayed at the Riu Paradise using the "All Inclusive" plan - meals, airfare, transfers, beverages, entertainment, etc. and what I saved by not staying at the Atlantis allowed me to private charter a fishing boat for two days, lol. I must admit that my selection of the Riu Paradise was biased and based upon my expectations that this Riu property would be comparable to the review that I wrote for the Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun. It was not. As previously mentioned, this Riu property is an older facility that has been extensively updated, but the basic "infra-structure's" age is evident. I believe that the staff at the Riu Paradise could greatly benefeit from getting the same training that the staff at the Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun had, lol. If you are looking to celebrate an anniversary, or on a honeymoon, or just won the lottery -definately stay at the Atlantis Hotel & Casino because it is fabulous and world class ! If, however, you prefer to stretch your budget for as much "bang for the buck" as possible for a couple or family -consider the very comfortable and more relaxed atmosphere of the Riu Paradise Hotel. I enjoyed staying at the Riu Paradise very much, and still enjoyed using & visiting many of the attractions that the Atlantis Hotel & Casino has to offer without spending thousands more, lol.

33  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!