“Save up your Money and Stay at Atlantis!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
A TripAdvisor Member
“Save up your Money and Stay at Atlantis!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2005

The hotel is small and average, the resturants and food are low quality the alcohol is cheap at best. We stayed there Feb 17-21 2005. Supposedly the hotel and just been remodeled, I couldn't tell. They are extremely short staffed and the staff they have are untrained and rude. We spent the majority of our time either out in town or at Atlantis. Save your money and stay at Atlantis!!!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,124)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2005

Well after having our flight cancelled in LGA on U.S Airways ( never fly again ) and taking a bus to Philidelphia for 2 1/2 hrs and not going out till the next day, the hotel was great with changing our dates last min. (Thanks to liberty travel in Stamford,ct). We went for 3 nights on February break. There was great food and service. The only two problems was the water. One day the water wasn't coming out of the shower but, took a few mintues and then the toliet over flowed. But they fixed it right away. The service was quick. The Pool was clean and heated and the Beaches were" To Die For". We always found a spot to lay at both the pool and beach. I would defintely go back. We wish we'd stayed longer. But will plan to return soon, on a direct flight to Nassau,Bahamas!!! I defintly recommend it for a vacation spot and it's all-inclusive too!!!! All you can eat and drink!!!!

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2005

Just returned from a stay at the RIU 2-23 thru 2-28. Could not ask for much better. All of the rooms have a great view of the amazingly blue water. Rooms were cleaned early in the day. Mini bar and liquor cabnet restocked every other day. Food at the buffet was pretty good. The process for getting reservations at the specialty restaurants sucks though... you have to get up at 7am and get in line to make a reservation and since waking up with the seagulls was NOT part of our vacation plans, we enjoyed the buffet. The drinks, like the food, was good and always available, but you have to ASK for liquor or you won't get it. The spa was nice... ask for a massage in the oceanfront cabana room. Plenty of lounge chairs around the pool and on the beach... although the beach chairs are taken by mid-morning. Beach towels available daily as well. We did the Dolphin Encounter and it was well worth the $$$. Visited Atlantis a couple of times... the Casino is great... but the RIU is the best bet on the beach. We left saying we'd be back before the end of the year.

21 Thank Markoo
Dallas,TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2005

We had a great time.
Of course there are some things you should know.....

The elevators do take awhile in the mornings and evenings....so I recommend you request a lower floor(2-4) so that way you can use the stairs to come down.

The liquor cabinets carry...bacardi gold rum,gin,brandy,vodka
They only have Kalik beer.
It tastes like its made from a root. I just stuck with Appleton Rum and coke.

The Carribean current is cold but you'll get use to it. Just jump in. If you walk in you'll take too long

The sand and sea were beatuiful.
Sunblock ... use it. I'm Mexican and I got burnt in a few hours.

The Atlantis is next door..(its at the end of the drive way)

Breakfast and Dinner were great.
Lunch was simple. (who cares enjoy the beach)

I felt that this place is more for couples or families.
They do not have a a dance club on the premises....but Atlantis is next door.

The bars close at midnight but you have liquor in the room.

The sauna and split jaccuzi (left hot/right cold) is free in the spa.
The spa opens up from 8am to 8pm.

We did the Stuarts Cove snorkel trip (11:45am -5pm) $48 a person
We swam with sharks at the end. It was worth it. I would definitely try the personal sub tour next time.

Our favorite bartenders were.... Icelynn and Warren.
If you see Icelynn tell her I said hi ( The Appleton and coke guys from Dallas)

Funniest employee was "A.J." he was part of the entertainment group.
the young guy with a fro. you cant miss him.

I would definitely go back. This was alot better deal than the Atlantis
One guy on the Stuarts Cove trip said he spent $20 at the Atlantis for 2 gin and tonics. ( No specialty glass, nothing special..thats just Atlantis prices)

Dont get me wrong Atlantis is beautiful but we stayed next door and ate and drank all that we wanted...them some

Lorenzo
! Go Cowboys!

The Appleton and coke guy from Dallas

22 Thank d0nl0renz0
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2005

My wife and I are overall very happy about our vacation at the Riu from February 24th - 27th 2005 and give it almost a 4 star. We understand that no vacation is perfect no matter where it is and that everyone has different expectations depending on where they come from. I think that a person who has seen a real 2 or 3 star hotel couldn't possibly rate this hotel below a 3.5 and on the other hand, anyone who has seen a true 5 star hotel (with almost everything to a 't') can rate this hotel above a 4. (Of course, I believe the ones who wrote about having a rough time with things such as no running water, and I beleive those who didn't have any glitches. We happened to be somewhat lucky.) It's all about what one is expecting and if it delivers, so here is what I saw and felt...

First I must say that right now, the day after we arrvied back home, we have nothing but overall good memories. But let's get into some details.
It's obvious at times that the hotel isn't yet at it's peak; not knowing so before getting there can be a bit insulting. The first thing I wanted to do is recommend for someone from the RIU to come up with a check list and give this list to the maids to ensure things are consistent and looked after.

When we arrived at the airport, which is so small, old and has the most un-impressive bathrooms, we followed the corridors and were quickly directed to our inclusive shuttle and on our way to the Riu without a glitch. An extra shuttle was there too, making sure they didn't leave anyone behind or made anyone wait; it was a somewhat comfortable 25 minute air conditionned ride on the narrow streets, driving on the left side of the road. Yes it's poorer than here in Canada... I guess it's always a bit of a shock to go to a poorer place but we go there because they have things that we don't offer here, right? We were not pushed for tips during the vacation although they were welcomed. Once at the Riu, we were greeted with drinks and smiles in the impressive tall ceiling, roomy and marbled lobby. The first impression was that I wasn't going to be ashamed of staying at the hotel mostly because of the lobby. It was too bad that on one occasion I saw an employee trying to repair a door handle on the main desk with some pieces spread here and there on the counter. Exiting the bus shuttle, we hurried to the main desk where we were again genuinely welcomed and with no glitches. The staff was very courteous, quick but non pushy, knowledgable and well dressed. A long line quickly formed behind us and we were happy to be in front and on our way to our room, which looked as showned on the adds. We had a great view of the ocean and pool from the side of the hotel where we stayed. There was a few crumbs on one chair and the in-room bar wasn't refrigerating... and never did even though we respectfully reported it three times. They did promptly add a water bottle that was missing as the tap water is not suited for drinking. The rooms were cleaned daily (our beds done daily anyways), smelled nicely and we had no problem with the bathroom although it looked a bit outdated. The TV's volume couldn't be set to the minimum in any way and one couldn't watch TV while the other was sleeping. And the room lights... They are the ones that take about 3 seconds to light up after turning the switch on... at first we kept turning the switches thinking they weren't working and we were actually turing them on and off.

Awkwardly was the noise... first there was a generator or something runing most of the time from the pink hotel just across the pool, and there was a karaoke at night at the RIU so we couldn't leave our patio door open during the night to hear the waves but all outside noise was gone after closing the patio door, which wasn't that simple to lock and unlock. Everytime (some) doors on our floor would either open our close there was a loud bang and the air pressure made our bed's head board rattle against the wall. One neighbour verbally fought during the night and we could hear everything, until security resolved the issue. We could also hear everything from the hallway when people walked and talked (like they were in our room) and a bit too when someone from another room would flush or use their shower. The cheap toilet tissue would tore in dozens of pieces when we pulled on it. There was no instruction on how to use the big safe but we figured it out: punch in (any) 4 numbers (you choose) followed by the "enter" key and it locks. Press the same 4 numbers again followed with the "enter" key and it opens. It was a breeze after that. The telephone in our room was not very convenient... there was nothing written on it next to the keys to say where we were dialing! We did get a call from the staff once, to make sure everything was fine but the call woke up my wife. Also, there was no pen or anything to write onto, and the RIU's thick booklet showcasing different activities only came into our room the day before we left. Also, forget about making a long distance call from your room or the hotel, either collect or with a calling card or your own cell phone... we tried and asked... no can do. We had to purchase a (different) local calling card at a local mall some 10 minutes away at U$10 for 30 minutes talk time and go to a special outlet at the mall to use a phone to call home... People from the outside can call in the hotel though and leave a message. RIU has an Internet room for different fees, something like 5 minutes for U$2, 15 minutes for U$5... but we were not once able to connect (it uses dial-up and has nice flat screens ) so we went to the same place at the mall where we got the phone card as they also have Internet access, high speed! Friendly place too.

Our main focus was to be together and have fun and make the best of things, so the little inconveniences had no much weight. Going on, the fact that we had to get up early (7:30-10am) to make a booking at a none-buffet restaurant was suprising and questionable. The meals were good, no complaint, but nothing like a 5 star restaurant as I know here in Canada and there is only a two meal choice: beef or sea food linguini (they say they change the menu every three months). Only one choice of a red or a white wine. If you don't drink, they'll go to the buffet for you to get juice or pop. The atmosphere was elegant and the waiters polite and well mannered. The Japanese restaurant had somewhat the Japonese theme to it (and again only two meal choices) but other than the good appetizer, it wasn't much of the real Japanese food. I had simple beef with vegetables. The buffets were great with variety and choices... and if the plates were almost empty they would refill them quickly and spared nothing. I loved the pina colada crepes! It was very easy to just go in, choose your meal and find a seat... and what a beautiful view and feeling to eat at the buffet outside, just on top of the beach!

The beach is absolutely beautiful, large (some 100 feet/30 meters), long (more than a mile/kilometer) and awesome. Nice white sand and the water of a beautiful mix of green, blue, turquoise fit for any magazine. One day, exceptionally, the waves were huge, some 10 feet/3 meters high knocking the shore line and that was a lot of fun. True that it was a bit too cold (air temperature) for a swim in the evening but during the day the water was perfect and the sun was warm with people swimming and sun bathing. The water was not too crowded. The arm chairs are plentyfull and people can be trusted as far as leaving your stuff on your seat while you go swimming. There is no shade though, other than the hotel's which moves around during the day. By the way we also felt safe walking into town and we felt that Bahamians are honest. Just watch the traffic as they drive on the left side, opposite of in Canada; this can be hazardous when crossing the street by foot and looking the wrong way for incoming traffic. Water sports from the RIU? None! Not even snorkeling equipment. Nothing. Even if they did, one needs an excursion tour to go snorkeling and the equipment is included in the price of the excursion anyway. There's not much to see with a mask right on the beach, I know, I tried with my own mask. They have a spa opened for massages right on the beach, as an example at $50 per person for 25 minutes with relaxing music... a great setting... we wanted to go but their credit card machine was not working that day and we didn't have enough cash for both of us unless we went to a bank (there is Royal Bank and Scotia Bank that we saw in town). So we skipped the massages. The catamarans you see advertized at the RIU? Nope. Not theirs. And they were no where to be seen. No windsurfing either (haven't seen a single one). No kayaks. There was introductory scuba lesson's at the RIU's pool though, for a fee as it is non hotel related. The vendors, although mostly polite, walk amongst the arm chairs on the beach all day and are a bit annoying... it still rings a bit in my ears... "Cuban cigars? Jet ski? Banana boat? Your hair braid? Pina Colada?" Then you have these same people asking you the same questions the next day... and the next after that. Made me feel a bit like I was a wallet to them, not a tourist. Jet ski is U$60 for 30 minutes and are also a bit annoying on the beach... I had to watch myself a few times as I swam! Yet despite all this, the area is absolutely beautiful, fun and worth it. The pool was nice, warm with swim up bar and (too loud) music (mostly north american music... I wish they had more of the Caribbean theme with light reggae type of thing... you know what I mean, to get this south feeling.) The staff was great, smiling, and entertaining kids with games and cute music. No big problems with the towels either... they gave us a card upon check in and we exchanged them for the towels at the pool, then they give the card back when we returned the towels... sometimes there would be no one (for a few minutes) to hand you the towels and no note left behind... we had to wait and see, wondering... but they eventually showed up... he/she must have been to the bathroom (but here in north america, we are so used to 'know' whats going on and immediate results... In the Bahamas however, hey, someone will show up soon and that's how they operate.) The representative for the activities didn't work on that Saturday, so all has to be booked by Friday; I found out by pure chance. Sometimes there is someone there at the activity desk, sometimes not... gone to the bathroom I guess. Same thing happened while trying to reserve a seat for the gourmet restaurant.

The three elevators are indeed a bit slow and too crowded sometimes to get in... ironically for us, in the end these "inconveniences" made us not expect too much and we relaxed from them. It was either that we accepted their country for who they are or we bucked and tried to change their ways to meet ours... and be unhappy. We felt they have already put in lots of effort to meet our standards and we decided to meet them halfway sort of speak. The bathrooms on the main level are very nice with showers so we could use them as check out time is noon and our shuttle was leaving at 6pm. They have an area to store luggages until we leave and we could continu to use our wrist bands for meals and cards for beach towels until we left.

The Riu is less than a 10 minute walk from the Atlantis hotel. Oh my God, now there's a 5 star! Amazing! My wife and I kept saying to each other: "Hey, look at this!" We took a visitors pass (wrist band at U$30 per person) and after an hour we still hadn't visited half of it (at the RIU we were done visiting around after 10 minutes but some people like that simplicity). The "big gun" Atlantis is a self-contained resort and is quite imposing with their own watersports in their own lagoon. With the pass, you can't swim there, can't use their beach or the equipment but you can visit the property including the aqariums (600 feet/200 meters long in underground caves!), GUCCI boutiques and casino (where people smoke unfortunately). That's where we will be staying next for sure. It is geared for both adults and children with endless pathways, caves/ponds with fish, attractions, many pools, kid pools, music pools, tube pools, sliding pools, nice palm trees; we had to get a map... honest we got lost! After visiting the Atlantis hotel, I said to myself "poor little RIU!" but I haven't stayed there and will have to read about their own glitches. Limousines poured into the Atlantis... never saw one at the RIU. RIU is the more stereotype hotel by the beach with an edge over regular hotels.

We did go on an excursion an hour away on a shuttle, to sort of a submarine that looks more like an underwater scooter where your head stayes dry in a bubble and your own vehicule is propelled at 15 feet deep (5 meters) for some 35 minutes for about U$95 per person. You sit on it and tuck your head in a bubble and drive/stear around, although it is very slow. It was cool to try it, specially for those who can't swim and want to see water life; they also offer a cassette or DVD video of your dive for U$40 right there at the end. We took it and they did a great job... our names even appears at the end. We'd snorkel while part of the group went under with the subs (about 10 at a time) and took turns. There's an air tank that supplies you with the oxygen and a battery that suppliesthe propeller with power. But the round plastic head cover distorts the corals and the fish from their actual sizes and if you scuba dived before, it will feel like going backwards. We didn't venture to Nassau as we had enough to do on Paradise Island for our 4 day stay.

Again... the hotel's rating is relative to people's expectations and not an industry's standard... we talked to people who where in love with the place and others (some, not that many) that were upset.

Thanks RIU for a good stay. My wife and I liked it. I rate it almost a 4 star.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
45 Thank JohnFrank100
long island,ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2005

just came back from 7 days in paradise. i was worried, after reading some of these postings. this is my critique:
Food: very good, actually the baker is fantastic!the food was different everyday and quite a selection. hotdogs and burgers,pizza, ice cream, THE STAPLE FOOD.
Staff: very friendly, accomodating. seemed to keep the kids involved and happy. staff went out of their way to help.
Rooms:clean,comfortable,view of ocean. actually the bed was more comfie than at home!
bar drinks:tasty....i left my insultatd mug at home..be sure to bring one, since the drinks are in small cups.
Overall:we had a great time. there are still some kinks to be ironed out..but not major ones. THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER.SO HAVE NO FEAR AND ENJOY YOUR VACATION IN PARADISE!

23 Thank sharimsw
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2005

We just returned from a week at the RIU Paradise Island. We had a great time. The weather was terrific, the beach is fantastic and the hotel was good.

The best parts of the stay:
The friendliness of the staff
The great beach
The specialty restaurants

The worst parts:
Check-in
The near total destruction of Paradise Island (which has been taken over by the Atlantis). I know that many will disagree, but I think that it is a terrible shame that Atlantis now owns 75% of the island. They are building new towers, timeshares, etc all over the island. Soon you will no longer be able to access the majority of the island unless you are a guest at Atlantis.

We stayed at this hotel in 1997 when it was still the Sheraton. Not that much has changed since RIU acquired the property. The lobby and pool are have been re-done and guest rooms have received new carpeting and a fresh coat of paint (from what I can see).

Check-in, as others have mentioned, was a nightmare. There is an clearly a problem in their system as rooms are not ready at 3, guest are sent up to rooms to find them still occupied or keys don't work. We weren't able to get our room until the second night and were given an alternate room for the first night. Annoying, but we didn't let it ruin our trip. The staff were really friendly and tried really hard.

Other than that, we really enjoyed the trip. As mentioned by others, staff at the bars are pleasant and quick whether or not they receive a tip (most guests didn't tip).

The buffets were ok...but they are buffets (I wasn't expecting haute-cuisine). There was a good selection and it was re-stocked regularly. I personally don't like having to serve myself while on vacation, so we dined at the specialty restaurants most nights.

The specialty restaurants were good. I have had better food at all-inclusives, but not in this price range. The only drawback to the restaurants was that you had to be in line before 7:30am in order to get a table (at least 7:15 if you wanted the earlier seating). The gourmet restaurant was definitely the best, but I also enjoyed the Japanese. The steakhouse was just a buffet with a steak (good, but only worth going to once).

Rooms are spacious, but not huge. They all have an ocean-view as the balconies angle towards the beach. Those with deluxe ocean-view rooms are closer to the beach. Rooms on the west side of the hotel (even number) definitely have a better view as they don't overlook the roof the the kitchens. Our room was cleaned promptly each morning before 10am (except one). The mini bar was restocked every two days with pop and beer. The liquor cabinet contained vodka, gin, brandy and rum (helpful for topping up the weak daquaris and pina coladas).

Other facilities at the hotel were good. The gym was small but very functional. It was busy from 7-9 and again from 4-5. There are 3 treadmills (one was out of order), two bikes and a stair machine. There are dumbels and two benchs, mats, a stability ball and a Cybex station with chest press, shoulder press, lat pulldown and leg extension. Not bad for a hotel.

The internet room had 4 computers. Cost depended on how long you wanted to be on-line. I paid $10 for 60 minutes which I used over a period of 2 days.

The pool and beach are clean, there are plenty of chairs (so no "saving" is required). Towel service is provided.

The entertainment staff worked very hard to run activities for both children and adults. They are clearly young and inexperienced so not all activities or shows were well attended, but the kids seemed to really enjoy some of the games. No, there wasn't a lot going on at night, but the resort is really geared towards families. For those looking for more action at night, the Atlantis is right next door and they are more than happy to welcome you into their casino, shops, bars and restaurants. If you want to explore the grounds of the Atlantis you'll have to pay (or go in the evening when security have gone in for the night).

Overall, this is a good hotel for a good price and I would go back again. They are still working out some of the kinks, but in a few months everything should be running smoothly.

As a side-note, I find it really sad to see how much of the island has been bought up by the Atlantis group. When I was last on Paradise Island, you could walk further along all of the beaches and roads, now many these have been gated and are considered private property. The beaches are still public, but if you have to cross Atlantis property to get from one beach to another, you may have to go back out to the road and enter through the beach access. At least 4 resorts that I can think of that were there last time are have been levelled to build Phase 2 and 3. The original towers at the Atlantis (Beach Tower and Coral Tower) seem to be in need of repair. The appear not very well maintained from the outside...but then again, these are the "cheap" rooms. The new Royal Towers I'm sure are lovely inside, but they are garish very "Las Vegas" in appearance.

For anyone thinking that they might like to stay at the Atlantis, rather than the RIU...don't forget to add at the very least a minimum of $100 a day per person for food + whatever you spend on drinks + activities.

Given the choice, I'd pick the RIU any day.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,650 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!