“You Can't Go Wrong with Riu!”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
New York City
“You Can't Go Wrong with Riu!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2005

I just returned from a long weekend at the RIU hotel (2/17 - 2/21) and after reading some of the reviews I was slightly skeptical. However, we had just a fabulous time and would stay there again without a doubt. I am not a fan of buffets in the slightest but I was very impressed with the quality of the food and the breadth of options. There was plenty to eat and drink all day - every day! The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful everywhere from the front the desk to the bar areas. Additionally, the room was very clean and almost every room has an ocean and/or pool. Since the hotel is directly in between the Atlantis and the Ocean Club, you have access to the casions of the Atlantis and can walk around the gorgeous beach at the Ocean Club - all within a 5-10 walk of each other. The Atlantis and Ocean Club are over-priced for what they are and where they are - definitely go with the RIU if you want an inexpensive trip, great all-you-can-eat and drink options, a friendly staff and most importantly, a great beach!

18 Thank Danielle W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,145)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2005

I just got back from my 1 week stay at the Riu Hotel in Bahamas and I have to say that it was truly a wonderful experience. Before my trip, I was apprehensive about going after reading some of the bad reviews, but it looks like this hotel has done a real 360. I highly recommend this hotel.

The staff at the Riu are the nicest I've ever encountered, they would go out of their way to assit any of the guests at any time, always with a smile. The beach itself was beautiful, and at most times, not too crowded or noisy (my only complaint was those annoying vendors on the beach, but thats not the hotel's fault)... the pool was also heated with a great swim up bar, which made a morning swim nicer, and the animators at the hotel were lively and friendly.

The food was great too, and the themed food nights made it interesting and broke up the monotony of a buffet in general. A very good idea! The wait staff were dilligent and attended to us within a few minutes after sitting down, no long wait times, even when the hotel filled up at the end of the week.

You will have a wonderful time at this hotel, the people are the nicest in the world. Thanks Riu for a fantastic vacation!

Amy

19 Thank travellin_amy
Boston, Ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2005

What a great time! We wish we could have stayed longer. We arrived 3 hours early. But not a problem. Not only did they check us right in but upgraded us to an oceanfront room as we told them it was our Valentine Anniversary. It was a corner room that was more spacious. Nothing fancy but it was clean. The patio was great to be out on to see the ocean and cruise ships out at sea. The food was OK. If you're going to make a reservation at one of the 3 restaurants you need to be downstairs to get in line by 7:30 AM. They do not accept phone reservations. That was unfortunate but the phone in our room was not working anyways. Who wants to get up that early on vacation? There are different seatings for the restaurants and there ended up being empty seats. It may be worth checking last minute to see if people didn't show up. The liquor dispenser in the room was awesome. The frig had bottled water and soda. The staff was very accommodating and very friendly. The jacuzzi in the spa area that was free wasn't working the first day but it was the next day. That was great. If you eat outside at lunchtime or are on the beach please remember
DO NOT FEED THE BIRDS. I got very annoyed when birds came swooping down near me because people were feeding them. The pool bar was great
and there was music and games going on. The beach was heavenly. Plenty of chairs and I was told the pool water was warm as we stayed at the beach. Staff was always cleaning and doing repairs but not disruptive. The morning of checkout my husband didn't have hot water but a half hour later
we did. A few minor things but overall we would go back again. I hope this
helps anyone who may be going.

20 Thank thebig50
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2005

I have just returned from a 5 day stay at the RIU and I felt I had to post some thoughts. I was originally excited at the prospect of staying at my first RIU property as I have heard many good things about the chain. Those feelings were more or less dashed by a few minor things. When my family first arrived we were essentially thrown the keys to our "deluxe" and "superior" oceanview rooms as the front desk staff could not care less whether you stayed there or camped on the beach. We were then greeted by an abnormally smelly hallway on the 14th floor which lead to a room door that would not open when key card was inserted and then a tiny leaky bathroom once we gained entry.

Obviously our first day wasn't going well. Taking a nap/sleeping comfortably wasn't an option either as the double beds were like sleeping on the floor. While the TV did have great stations for when you actually found a comfy horizontal position, it did not have volume control as the only options were blaring or mute. I'm sure the neighbours loved us. My parents on the Atlantis-facing side of the hotel had a "deluxe" room which entitled them to the 70's music blasting from the pool area from 11am to midnight. This music was crazy loud too, you can hear it 14 floors up and all the way down at the beach next to crashing waves.

While there are many reasons to dislike the RIU Paradise Island there are also some redeeming factors. Some staff members were obviously about service and cared very highly, or at least appeared to. Also, the food didn't completely suck. The Japanese restaurant seemed out of place and it was, the food was lacklustre. The better meals were at the fancy restaurant and the steakhouse [huge steak!] The main buffet, while very repetetive, had enough different food that you could eat something different every day and not get too bored. The location was also ideal as it was directly next to the Atlantis which meant some nightlife and it was close enough to the water ferry to take you to the straw market. Overall, my family enjoyed the trip and would recommend the RIU, in another couple months once they've earned those last two stars.

30 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2005

We just returned from a 4 night stay on Feb 17. The resort is under construction still. Painters, landscapers and carpenters are everywhere. Food was fine. Rooms were clean.

The negatives were: lack of nightly entertainment and the wind coming off the ocean. and the smoking....

We've been to Nassau many times but this was the first time we stayed here. We wouldn't rush back to this place.

14 Thank Hep07
delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2005

Had a wonderful time at the Riu! Spectacular view of the ocean & pool. Mini bar and liquor dispenser was a plus in the rooms at no extra charge. Entertainment/band was fun with a lotta participation in the audience. Pool was great and the weather was sunny and breezy during the day. Cool in the evenings but, still very pleasant. Went snorkeling half day compliments of the hotel since the outbuilding wasn't completed to accomodate the watersports that were offered. They offered either a massage at their spa or half day snorkeling. Ocean was comfortable enough for snorkeling...cool at first but, easily adapted after getting in. Food was fabulous and so were the drinks. One night at the buffet they offered Lobster, mussels, and shrimp in a wonderful tomato base....lot of lobster in it and delicious. Desserts are wonderful too. Staff couldn't have been friendlier or more accomodating to our needs. Went to the Atlantis and don't recommend staying there unless you don't mind a lot of kids and living in a shopping mall (stores are Cartier, Hermes, Versace). Restaurants there were minimum of $30 and drinks are way out of line in price. Casino was ok but, nobody at Riu won anything there and didn't observe anybody winning in the Casino either. Will say their Aquarium was very nice and we manage to view the whole thing without hassles or paying but, some people did get approached to be charged or asked to leave and also the salespeople want to discuss timeshares/condos with you (we manage to avoid them). We heard the Atlantis staff were very rude to some people and witnessed it as well.
At the Riu, in the spa next to the giftshop, there is a wonderful jacuzzi/sauna setup that is free to the hotel guests. This isn't in the map given to you but, is worth checking out at least once during your stay.

18 Thank cosmotraveler
Toronto,ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2005

My wife and I decided to go to Riu paradise island for 3 nights for a weekend away from the cold and we couldn't have made a better choice of hotel to spend it at.

When we first arrived at the hotel we were offered drinks while we checked-in. The lobby was beautifully decorated and very lively indeed. The hotel staff were attentive and could predict your every move. We had a mix up with our room by our travel agent but the hotel staff were quick off the mark to seek to resolve it.

The room had an awesome view and a very big balcony to enjoy it. The room was massive but still has the obligatory floral decor you find in most dated resorts, however the insuite facilities make up for that. inside the room you have a suprise, I dont want to give it away but anyone that enjoys their liquor is in for a treat! TV is good and had most of the major US channels. The heated pool is ample for the guests of the hotel and the entertainment staff are really cool people to chat with and provide some really lively shows in the evenings. i really liked how they kept the same people there for our whole stay, same people in the morning afternoons and evenings, I couldn't stop thinking how tired they must get!

the food was really good, however if you go to the restuarants at the wrong time you could end up going hungry, so make a note of the opening times of the buffet when you get there. The wait staff again were very well trained - for a new resort one would expect some hiccups in service but it was unsurpassed. My wife loves chocolate milk and even though they didnt have anything in the kitchen the waitress was happy to make something from the bar for her, she served it and stayed with us til my wife said it was what she wanted ... fantastic service! In the evenings you need to make reservations for some restuarants but if you are on a 3 day vacation then sticking with the buffet is fine. Food is just as good, you get more choice and you are not too bothered about getting to the restuarant on time. We had gourmet and it was really nice. Midnight buffet was great too!

The spa was cool and not overpriced. If you go in and ask there is a secluded hot/cold jacuzzi and sauna free to use ... most people dont even bother going in the spa to find out but some other reviewer on here mentioned this "secret garden" so we had to look for it, Thanks!

Another reason why this hotel is good is because the most luxorious hotel in the bahamas - Atlantis, is next door and here is a tip ... if you walk along the beach to the atlantis beach tower, up the stairs and walk across the atlantis pathway you will be able to access most if not all the facilities atlantis has to offer. We paid to go to the atlantis aquarium $30 each however there are 2 aquariums the dig and the predator. You can see the predator during the day by navigating yourself around the atlantis grounds avoiding the occasional bahamian guard, and you can visit the dig at night for free so dont pay, but still well worth it if you do. Casino is free ... if you got money to gamble with. However, while walking through atlantis I couldn't help thinking I was much better off staying at the riu, its so expensive at atlantis its crazy, we had our conch salad there and for lunch it cost us nearly US$20 and we shared!

The all-inclusive riu is a winning formula and I'll go back anytime, service was great and the only fault I could find was that most of the literature and hotel information is in spanish I couldnt understand why and it took me a while figuring out frontdesk phone number. We had an awesome time for a new resort its got off to a flying start I would highly recommend for all!

19 Thank nesh
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,702 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!