“Great place to stay”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Cambridge, Ontario Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2005

We stayed at the RIU from the 30th of January to the 3rd of February 2005. We had read all of the negative reviews prior to leaving and we were somewhat apprehensive about going to the RIU. The RIU must read them as well because if they had problems they have been fixing them. The food was excellent and varied and the staff were the best we have encountered after years of travelling. The rooms are average, but if you spend all of your time in your room, you may as well stay home. It was nice to stay at a resort where the staff are not constantly pressuring you for tips. It was such a nice change, that you didn't actually mind leaving the tips. We would highly recommend this resort.

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

Toronto, ON, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2005

I just got back from the RIU Paradise Island. Loved it! Had a great time. The RIU was great. The rooms are fine, perhaps not 5 star, but will be upgraded. All the rooms are spacious, clean, and oceanview. The hotel itself - lovley! The staff - fantastic and SO friendly, the food - delicious, the pool/beach - great, and the best of all LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. Atlantis is right next door! Enough said. I highly recommend that you stay at the RIU. It's SO worth it! I loved the Bahamas and I will go back to the RIU!

• Stayed: January 2005
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 1, 2005

We were in the Bahamas from 1-24-05 to 2-1-05, we were originally bboked at the RIU paradise Island but changed our accomodations based on some of the questionable reviews posted on this iste. I can say that we made a serious mistake in changeing our reservation. In changing our reservation, we booked at Breezes and this proved to be a dump that only catered to the Spring Break Crowd. After three days at Breezes we paid a vist to RIU and decided top check in. I must say it was money spent very well. The food in all three restaurants was excellent, gourmet quality, and the food served at the buffet was also the same quality. The staff was courteous and friendly and the other accomodations were top notch. I wish to thank you and your staff for allowing me to leave the Bahamas without a sour taste in my mouth. In the words of the late General Douglas MacArthur, I Shall Return.

22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, ON
Reviewed January 31, 2005

We just came back from 5 days at the RIU in January and I'm going to skip all the comments about the food and drinks and sports...We had a great time and enjoyed everything, so defintiely do not believe all the bad reviews.

Here's a secret from me to you: when its too windy for sunning on the beach or by the pool, head to the hot tub area for an incredible relaxation experience. You walk through the spa (located next to the gift shop) to access it and its totally free for all guests to use both the hot tub and sauna, although they don't tell you this. You'll find this place tucked away in a fenced-in location with high walls located near the front of the property that gets great sun from mid-morning to late fternoon with no wind, no people trying to sell you a bahama mama in a coconut and total tranquilty. My sisters and I christened it "The Secret Garden" because it was so peaceful and relaxing back there. There's only three lounge chairs, so get there early, bring a book and just enjoy soaking in the tub and basking in the sun. When the noise of the beach and the pool deck gets to be too much or you just want some "me time", head here. Don't blow all your money on spa treatments when you can sun, hot tub and sauna for free! Its a great break from the rest of your day. Taking time out for a trip to the Secret Garden made each day awesome. Trust me on this one...just don't tell your fellow holiday goers!

28  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 30, 2005

My husband and I spent the week of Jan 16- 23rd. We had a great time, we were expecting the worst from reading the previous reviews. The hotel was great, rooms were clean excellent view comfortable king size bed, stocked fridge and bar. The food and restaurants were all enjoyable. Sure there is the same stuff for breakfast and lunch, but what more could you want they have everything! We found the cocktails good, better than most Carribean resorts and the service was speedy. The evening entertainment was fun. We never made it in the pool, it was to windy. If you walk down to the end of the beach at the Ocean Club there is a nice place to sit and swim. The snorkelling excursion to Rose Island was rather poor. It was to windy to snorkel on the beach so you had to go by the boat. They did not provide flippers, which was strange. The only problems we had were no power or water on one a.m. and no water for about 15min in the middle of another day. If you have visited any other islands these problems are just part of the experience - no bid deal. So anyway don't worry you will have a great time.

19  Thank TakeATripToronto
Reviewed January 30, 2005

I just returned last night from the RIU and I must say I was pleasantly suprised! I was terrified after reading some of the nasty reviews on this site... most of which were highly exagerated! The property is nice...it's on a beautiful stretch of beach, and the grounds are lovely. The room is basic and has everything you need, including free alcohol dispensers! The only complaint I had was the hot water....it was cold at times and when it was hot, it was more luke warm than hot. Bathrooms are a little small & outdated, but hey it has what you need!
The lobby and pool area are great...as are the restaurants. I thought the food was good, always a variety and plenty of it. I have been to Cuba where the food is not so great and believe me, the food at the RIU was excellent in comparison. Friends we met payed $45 US for lunch at Atlantis....so count your lucky stars you are at an ALL- Inclusive....well worth it! Really the only thing that could have been better was the weather....it was really windy and cloudy when we were there. 1 day was sunny but overall January is a cool month there. But, for 3 days, it was just nice to escape the horrible winter. Take the water taxi into Nassau for sure....there's a great straw market with tons of purses, jewellery etc. Overall I think the RIU is well worth the money.

22  Thank pijlet
Tweed, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2005

Well I must say I was very skeptical about going to the Riu on Pardise Island based soley on the previous reviews posted on this site. Well I gotta tell you like I see it and the people who wrote those review's must have been feed with a silver spoon all their life and if they expected more then this then they should have stayed at a Sandals or something really high end.
We traveled with another couple(Hey Jeff and Andrea) and we throughly enjoyed our vaction, the food was great, the drinks were plentifull and cold, rooms were nice, weather was great and most of all the people were fantastic.
We made some great new friends on this vacation.

Thanks, for teh great time Riu!!

22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!