“It was great!”

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
toronto, ontario
“It was great!”
Reviewed January 30, 2005

I just returned last night from the RIU and I must say I was pleasantly suprised! I was terrified after reading some of the nasty reviews on this site... most of which were highly exagerated! The property is nice...it's on a beautiful stretch of beach, and the grounds are lovely. The room is basic and has everything you need, including free alcohol dispensers! The only complaint I had was the hot water....it was cold at times and when it was hot, it was more luke warm than hot. Bathrooms are a little small & outdated, but hey it has what you need!
The lobby and pool area are great...as are the restaurants. I thought the food was good, always a variety and plenty of it. I have been to Cuba where the food is not so great and believe me, the food at the RIU was excellent in comparison. Friends we met payed $45 US for lunch at Atlantis....so count your lucky stars you are at an ALL- Inclusive....well worth it! Really the only thing that could have been better was the weather....it was really windy and cloudy when we were there. 1 day was sunny but overall January is a cool month there. But, for 3 days, it was just nice to escape the horrible winter. Take the water taxi into Nassau for sure....there's a great straw market with tons of purses, jewellery etc. Overall I think the RIU is well worth the money.

22 Thank pijlet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,159)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 30, 2005

Well I must say I was very skeptical about going to the Riu on Pardise Island based soley on the previous reviews posted on this site. Well I gotta tell you like I see it and the people who wrote those review's must have been feed with a silver spoon all their life and if they expected more then this then they should have stayed at a Sandals or something really high end.
We traveled with another couple(Hey Jeff and Andrea) and we throughly enjoyed our vaction, the food was great, the drinks were plentifull and cold, rooms were nice, weather was great and most of all the people were fantastic.
We made some great new friends on this vacation.

Thanks, for teh great time Riu!!

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 28, 2005

Four of us have just returned from staying a week at the Riu Paradise Island from January 20-27th. After reading some of these reviews before leaving we were a little concerned about whether we would be able to enjoy an entire week at this hotel and we were even crazy enough to consider going somewhere else. All I can say is that from now on I'm not going to believe anything I read until I experience it myself! To think we could have missed out on staying here makes me very angry!

I knew it would be a great vacation as soon as were waiting to check-in. The hotel lobby is beautiful to the say the least and the staff were so friendly and helpful while we were waiting, introducing themselves and bringing us drinks as well as going over the entertainment schedule for the week. I was so impressed with how organized they were you would never know they opened only a month earlier.

As for the food, all of us were pleasantly surprised to find such a large variety from hot dogs and hamburgers to more exotic dishes containing fried squid and conch. The pickiest eater wouldn't have a problem finding something! Even breakfast had variety including at least 6 different flavours of smoothies which I really enjoyed! I don't know what they put in their omlets but I've never heard my boyfriend go on about how good an omlet tasted before. I've never eaten so well in my entire life that it's hard coming back home! Considering I was sick on my last vacation from the food, I was more than happy to find how high quality this food was.

The staff are also amazing!! We made friends with a number of people there. It would be difficult not to enjoy yourself around these people as they are always smiling and having a good time. Although we loved them all, our favourite staff were Anthony (the entertainment manager), Archie (Server at the buffet), William (the omlet maker), and Travis (an amazing singer!)

The entertainment was fun, there was always something different happening every night and they try to include the audience in everything from karaoke to fashion shows to talent nights. If more people had joined in it would have been an even greater time especially during the disco. They also have a band that comes in almost every night as well so there's always something to do!

The rooms were nice and they all have a balcony that overlooks the ocean so you can't go wrong. Every other day they would re-stock our fridge with beer and pop and there is a liquor dispenser containing bacardi rum, vodka and two other bottles that I can't remember. You don't really need it anyways since you can just walk down to the lobby and have whatever you want made for you. (Their mudslides and bahama mamas are awesome by the way)

The beach is gorgeous just like in Punta Cana with the white sand and turquoise water. The waves were a little rough some days but it was fun if you were crazy enough to go in anyways. There were never a shortage of loungers even though the hotel was booked up so you don't have to worry about waking up early to save one. The pool was also very nice and HEATED. It's brand new and very clean! There is also a swim-up bar to take advantage of. Not many people were using the pool, which doesn't surprise me since there is a beautiful beach only footsteps away.

It is so easy for me to say good things about this place that I could go on forever but I think you get the picture! I find it CRAZY that anyone could NOT enjoy their vacation here! Normally I wouldn't waste my time writing these things but I felt that I had to because I almost missed out on a great vacation because a few people don't know what they're talking about!

37 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed January 27, 2005

We just got back from an unforgettable trip to Riu Paradise Island. Because of earlier reviews we were very skeptical about going and even thought about cancelling all together on a few occasions. We were pleasantly surprised! The greeting and mail lobby are just beautiful. There were drinks when we got to the door and check in was fast and efficient. The room was boring but spotless and of good size. The fridge was full of soft drinks and beer and there was a liquor dispenser in our room. Everything except the watersports was up and running. The staff went out of their way to help make our trip enjoyable. The food was EXCELLENT and of great variety. True that most people do agree this is not a 5 star facility but if you have great food, great fun, the most beautiful ocean in the Caribbean and all for a great price -- What else can you ask for? I recommend this place - Im already planning my next trip back.

22 Thank sunnydestinations
San Francisco
Reviewed January 25, 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Riu January 13-17 and overall had a wonderful time. We were initially concerned that some of the restaurants would not be open, that much of the construction hadn't been completed and that they were not offering aquatic activities. To our surprise, those fears were never fully realized.

Negatives:
The hotel was certainly still under construction, but most of it was isolated to the middle floors. At one point during a shower the water stopped while I had soap in my hair. We called the front desk and it was fixed in about 30 minutes.

They were not offering non-motorized aquatic activities as promised on their website and by our travel agent. This took a little work by our travel agent, but he was able to get the hotel to pay for us to take a half-day snorkeling excursion to an outlying reef.

The nightclub is a little hokey, and we found ourselves having a much better time spending the evening next door at Atlantis. However this might have more to do with our age group, we're in our mid-twenties and the demographic they seem to aiming towards is 40+.

Another negative we experienced was that in order to get reservations at one of the three restaurants, you had to get up around 7am and wait in line. I understand why they do this but there has to be another way.

Positives:
We arrived around 11 am on a Thursday and our room wasn't ready, but instead of making us wait they upgraded us to a Junior Suite that was ready.

The food in the buffet was generally good. Sometimes the selection was a little boring, but the personal chef at the pasta bar was a nice touch. The Japanese restaurant was probably the best out of the three - the shrimp tempura is fantastic. The steak house was ok, but a bit like Sizzler. The gourmet restaurant lacked any imagination. It was mostly glorified buffet food. That said, it was all pretty good, we never got sick and food is available almost all the time.

The pool and swim up bar are great, as are the plush beach towels. The pool is now heated, although the jacuzzi could be a little warmer.

The 3 bars were great. Never much of a line. An excellent selection of alcohol and friendly bartenders. I recommend trying a Yellow Bird. The in-room bars were nice too, although they only refill them every other day.

The spa was open to guests to use the facilities without paying. They didn't tell us this when we checked in, but found out halfway through our trip.

The pillows and king-sized mattress were like those found in a 5-star hotel. There was a small refrigerator in the room, as well as a safe and the like. It was quite clean and the cleaning crew straightened up the room quickly. Our balcony was fantastic. We never went into another room, but I imagine they're all as nice on the higher floors.

As my first experience with an all-inclusive I was very impressed. I loved not having to carry any money with me, and the staff never expected tips (although we did from time to time). I found everyone that worked there to share some of "the love of the Bahamas" and we got almost everything we asked for--although I did request some bottles of banana rum for my in-room bar that they weren't able to accommodate. I'm planning a bachelor party over the summer and I'm seriously considering staying at another Riu resort.

22 Thank bpmobay
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed January 23, 2005

Like some other reviewers, we did not know what to expect on our Jan 20-24th weekend trip. Overall, we found the hotel to be fine although the rooms are not very attractive for a 5 star facility...they would be about 3 star in our opinion...no problems...just not very attractive. The public areas...lobby/bars/restaurants/pool area/exercise room are attractive and pleasant. The phones continue to be a problem and they require a $250 deposit before they will connect them.

However, everything else was pretty good. We found the food excellent contrary to many others...the breakfast buffet/omelettes/fresh juices were terrific. The lunch buffet was average (pre-cooked hamburgers/hot dogs) but good salads and pastas. The evening buffet was also good (lots of variety) and the Gourmet restaurant was much better compared to many others I have experienced in the DR or Cuba for example.

The staff were helpful and the pool/beach area was operating smoothly and well. The pool is fully heated now and while the beach bar is still under construction, it is not a problem.

All in all...even with so so weather, the experience was a pleasant one...we'd go back.

• Stayed January 2005
21 Thank JCGToronto_Ontario
middlesex
Reviewed January 21, 2005

Stayed at the Riu for nine nights up till 14th Jan. We were aware that they had only just re-opened and did expect things not to be perfect. Food was good. Used the Steakhouse twice, the first time wanted my steak to have been a little larger so they asked if I would like a second (of which I expected to be a second smaller piece of steak), they actually gave me a second complete meal. Gourmet restaurant was also good (maybe requires a larger selection of dishes in both these restaurants). Buffet got repetitive after first week, 2nd week rotation the same and yes the desserts prepared need a larger selection, but all food was plentiful, you could help yourself to four/five courses if you really wanted to! Requested cookies/biscuits as wanted a coffee and snack instead of lunch to which the restaurant manager arranged a complete tray to be cooked and put on display.
Pool was unheated (the only day it was heated was on the day before our departure when the inspectors were in!).
There were no watersports available while we were there, looks like they are still completing the storage for these on the beachside of the hotel. But jetskis/para/banana boats available at a charge (via local vendors, and these same vendors also supply Atlantis guests)
Rooms were still being refurbished, drinks dispensers being fitted etc and yes the bathrooms are average, but didnt cause us any disruption.
No complaints about service that we recieved from the staff (excellent) met any requests we asked for and responded quickly (and did not expect a tip for every service). Did leave a list of snagging items for Mrs Bodega day before we left but she never gave us any feedback? This hotel is the same price as the Atlantis (but that's not all inclusive) and all I heard was complaints about the prices charged in Atlantis for drinks ($6.00 water) and food so therefore good value for money. Bonus being that you can still have access to the Atlantis (although not waterpark or disco etc) you have a free mini-bar and food is abundant. Once the snags are completed will be a good hotel. We were the first and only english guests from our holiday co, wouldnt rate this as being Five Star maybe a Four. Would advise that if your going to the Bahamas from the UK go Four Star minimum unless your on a diving holiday as a long journey and did expect a little bit of luxury due to the price. We originally booked into Holiday Inn Sunspree (three star) but checked out as was VERY disappointed. We would go back to the Riu.

22 Thank lemon1961
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,747 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!