“Great Anniversary Vacation!”

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Minnesota
“Great Anniversary Vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2009

My husband and I booked a six night stay for our 1 year wedding anniversary in October, and overall had a terrific experience! The hotel itself is in a wonderful location... right next door to the gorgeous Atlantis resort. Fortunately, many areas of Atlantis are open for non-guests, and we took full advantage. We spent a couple of nights in the casino, toured the aquarium (a must see), and walked through several of the shops.

The beach location is stunning with breathtaking views. I've been to several other areas of the carribbean and this beach was by far my favorite!

The hotel itself is average, although clean and presentable. The one thing we were so grateful for was the friendly, courteous staff throughout our entire stay. Everyone from the front desk attendants to the maids were extremely accommodating and helpful.

The buffet was average, but overall good. We found the specialty restaurants to be well worth waiting in line. The spots fill up early though, so be sure to get in line right away each day.

Overall, we had a great stay and found the Riu to be a great value! We'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone celebrating a honeymoon, anniversary, or a simple getaway!! :-)

• Liked — Beach Location
  • Disliked — Lunch Buffet
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank travelingal20

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,145)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2009

My Wife and I decided to book a quick getaway for 5 days to the Riu, Paradise Island. The hotel calls itself a 5 star, but most travel services rate it at about a 4 or 4.5 star.

We arrived on the 9th of January and were immediately dissapointed. The common areas of the hotel were about 15 years past needing renovations and the rooms were old, tired, and dirty.

We tried to keep our spirits up and enjoy our time, but were constantly dissapointed with the state of the hotel facilities. During the night, my wife had to go to the bathroom and the toilet wouldn't flush. We called down to the front desk and they said that at certain times there wasn't enough water pressure. Those certain times happened to be 24/7. The room quickly stank and we had to sleep in it.

As well, our airconditioner sounded like a freight train, the elevators stuck 2 times with us in it the first day we were there, and The trouble and effort required to book one of the restaurants on the resort is not worth it. The food lacks flavour and selection and the booking person makes it difficult to get a decent time to eat without being bribed.

After our first night we left the hotel and checked into another hotel at Atlantis because we were so dissapointed. Since Atlantis didn't have "all inclusive", we kept our Riu wristbands so that we could walk back to the Riu at mealtimes to eat so save a bit of money. I went to check on the room while I was there and my key didn't work. I checked with front desk and they said that because our bags weren't there, they checked us out and gave our room to someone esle. Why would they do that when I hadn't checked out and I had paid for the room? Since then, I've been fighting with the Riu to get a refund since they checked us out.

I would rate this hotel as a 3 star at best. It is absolutely horrible. We were told they are closing in August to reovate, but I'm not sure that anything less than a wrecking ball would be sufficient to improve it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank CalypsoToronto
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2009

My wife surprised me by taking me to the Bahamas. We chose the Riu for its location and apparent value.

The hotel is pleasant. The lobby area is clean and moderately upscale in appearance. The lobby bar was great.

The front desk staff were okay. When I had a problem with the in-room safe, help was prompt and efficient. Otherwise the staff were quite apathetic.

Our room had a beautiful view of the ocean and was quite big. The bathroom was small and mildly grubby. The beds and carpet should have been replaced in the late 90's, remember this was 2008.

The pool was great and the swim up bar a bonus.

The buffet was decent. The quality and choice of foods was more than enough to keep us happy for the week.
The wine is dreadful, avoid it at all costs. It comes from big glass jugs (about 4L) that say "Red Wine" or "White Wine" on them.
The wait staff were pleasant and efficient.

We didn't try the other restaurants. I typically avoid waiting in long lines when I don't have to. You have to do so to get into the specialty restaurants.

The beach is beautiful, but the water gets deep very quickly and the red flags were up the entire time we were there except the first afternoon. The yellow flag was up then, and sure enough the water was too rough to enjoy at that point. It is a nice place to sit after dark as it is quiet except for the waves.

The Riu is next door to Atlantis so you can walk over and check it out. If you have kids, that would make for a great day.

This is a three star resort all the way. It is a good value for a quick relaxing getaway.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Beach.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sllydderrr
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2009

My boyfriend surprised me with a 4night/5 day vacation at the Riu and it was great! The food was very good...the staff was super friendly and helpful. The property is very well maintained and the beach was always clean. Paradise Island is pretty much run by the Atlantis, and so the property isn't huge, but definitely a great place to relax. (As an aside, they are redoing the property in August to make it a Riu Palace!)

In reading the reviews, the one thing that was never said that should be clear...it is about a 15 SECOND walk to the Atlantis from the entrance of the Riu and about a 10 minute walk down the beach! But beware, the casino is strange and the house does more than win, they KICK [--]! If you really want to gamble, go down to Wyndam Casino in Cable Beach...its about a $15 cab ride over the bridge but definitely worth it!

Also, you can buy a day pass to the Atlantis Water Park, and while its pretty pricey, its worth it. There are 8 water slides, one in particular which looks unassuming but its actually a 120' drop!

We had a great time and will definitely go back in the future! Enjoy :)

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lauren W
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here for four days in mid-December. We also stayed at Breezes, so you can see my review for that if you want to compare. We are in our 30s.

Location is a real strength for Riu. It is on a nice beach (with rough water). On one side is Atlantis and on the other is a long stretch of largely undeveloped beach, so it's a good place for a beach walk. Visiting the Atlantis without paying Atlantis prices is good. We toured the sites there, although I'm not sure if that's supposed to be free to non-Atlantis guests of if there just wasn't anyone to stop us. We saw the water slide that goes through the shark tank. A shark jumped onto the slide one morning while we were there. No joke--google it.

Overall, the hotel is pretty staid, especially compared to the fun atmosphere of Breezes. Pool area is nice. Note that whirlpool is not hot but is simply regular pool water. And because of the way the buildings are, sun was blocked 90 minutes before sunset. Swim-up bar is a positive.

We thought the food was quite good. Definitely a step up from Breezes. Buffet and both a la carte restaurants we visited were good. Drinks are fine. If you are happy with ordering a drink and enjoying what they give you, you will be happy. If you have specific tastes, you will be disappointed. Wine is a particular weakness. Beer at pool was Budweiser served ice cold in cans, plus draft Kalik in restaurants.

Staff were efficient although not particularly friendly.

Evening entertainment was quite weak. This is not a hip place, if that's what you're looking for. We would've been disappointed with that if we had been staying longer, but we went over to Atlantis a couple of nights.

Room was nice. Balcony was great--plenty of room to sit. Mini-bar in room with liquor, beer, and soft drinks was good.

Saw several children while there. They weren't loud and obnoxious but did take away from the atmosphere. Go adults-only if this is a concern for you.

Overall, this place delivers satisfactorily, but we probably would not return. Location is great for both beach and proximity to Atlantis, but otherwise it is not memorable for either positive or negative things.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — lacked character or charm
2 Thank krupina
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2009

This hotel should be re-named, "If it can be broken, it probably is."

I had hair baked in my food 4 times. First time I thought "whatever, happens," second time I forgave it again. But then it happened two more times! Gross.

There was a huge patch of mold growing on the bathroom door. It was larger than a foot wide.

THe toilet rarely flushed.

The Jacuzzi was broken. The person at the desk said it had been broken the entire time she was working there. Later, after complaining to another person, they told me that is is supposed to be cold....um, I dont think so.

The TV speakers were blown out.

Everything at this hotel is done on the cheap.

We ordered a drink that was suppsed to be smirnoff, not well vodka - tasted the same. I suspect it was.

The liquor in our room that was labeled "vodka" smelled like gin (juniper) and tasted like rubbing alcohol. Sersiously. When we tasted it we giggled at how cheap it was. This was before we experieced the rest of the hotel.

The only good thing about this place was the nice staff.

Oh, and the food is really fried. I felt like I was eating oil all day. A lot of peopel were complaining. This one is a matter of preference I realize - but we tried to eat at the specialty restaurant - I had tuna - I swear - it had been microwaved. It had no taste whatsoever.
Additionally, everytime they had some special food - like lobster tail - sounds nice right? - well it tasted like potatoes. I have never had food so damn overcooked. Everything there was so overcooked. You couldn't tell what you were eating by taste.

I really regret blowing an money staying at this place.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — What wasn't broken?
Barrie, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2009

I've never written a review before but people have to know what Riu's like. I have to warn others.

I booked a 3 day/4 night trip to Bahamas, Riu Paradise - Ocean view (king size bed). I was so excited to be going to the Bahamas as I've heard nothing but wonderful things. We flew out December 28 at 6:30pm & arrived back home January 1 at 1:30pm.

We arrived at our hotel at 11pm. Instead of being greeted with smiles and friendliness, we were greeted with scowls. It certainly wasn't a welcoming reception.

My husband and I were not happy with the room provided to us. The room was dirty, the bathroom (tub & toilet) was filthy and the room smelled of mold. The pictures advertised on Riu Paradise's website are very deceiving and are a total misrepresentation. They advertise the Riu Paradise as a 5 star hotel. It is definitely not a 5 star hotel. It is far from it.

On December 29; at approximately 5pm, a male staff member entered into our room without knocking. I'm assuming he used a passkey to enter the room as the door was locked. (I had just gotten out of the shower and was changing at the time). Aside from being totally mortified, I quickly covered myself and went out to our balcony. The gentleman explained that there was a huge leak coming from our faucet and was leaking down below in the restaurant. He came and went for about half an hour trying to fix the tap in the bathroom.

Around 6pm, a staff member assigned to the front desk called explaining that she had to move us to another hotel room because the Engineer had to break open the wall to fix the leak. She advised us that we had only 20 minutes to pack and vacate the room. When I inquired about the hotel room they were going to move us to, she explained it would be on the other side of the hotel, queen size bed, with a view of trees and the city of Nassau. I explained to her we were guaranteed an ocean view, king size bed and that I was not happy about the downgrade since we paid for an upgraded room.

Her attitude toward us was unacceptable. The way that she handled the situation was totally unprofessional, since she told me to go over to the Atlantis Hotel and book a room to stay with them. At no time, did I have an unprofessional attitude towards her or return the same attitude I received from her so I was shocked to have been spoken in such a rude manner. I spoke in a calm and professional manner at all times.

At this point in time, I was extremely upset and let my husband handle the situation. This is not how a 5 star resort should be run or how guests should be treated. The conditions of the hotel, room, service and staff was 100% unacceptable.

After 20 minutes of my husband trying nicely to explain our concerns, the employee at the front desk informed him that it was not their fault but that it was our travel agents fault for not informing us about their poor conditions (eg: dirty room and unprofessional service). My husband asked why he was being spoken to in a discourteous manner and she informed him, yet again, that her attitude was our travel agents fault.

After speaking to a Manager, the attitude was still unprofessional, but she finally put us in a room on the 7th floor with an ocean view. After entering the new room, we came across numerous brown stains on the white bed sheets, a brown ring in the bathtub and yet another moldy (much stronger) smell coming from our room. We called down numerous times for someone to come up to change our sheets. Each time we called they advised that someone would be right up. No one ever showed up. We ended up putting a blanket on top of the white sheet and slept on that. This is not acceptable, especially for a hotel advertised as a 5 star.

The purpose of a vacation is to relax and enjoy themselves. My husband and I were not able to achieve this at all. I have never been so disgusted, not only with the unprofessional service and attitude, but with the unsatisfactory condition of the hotel and the dirty room(s) that were provided. We should not have had to go through so much trouble on our vacation as we incurred. For the expensive rate we paid for our trip, I was 100% dissatisfied and could not wait to return home after our 2nd night.

They should not advertise the hotel as a 5 star when; in fact, it does not provide the services and accommodations of a 5 star. Customers rely on and trust that what the travel agent is providing will be up to good (clean) standards and that when a hotel is rated at such a high standard that that is what the customer will receive.

After speaking with numerous guests staying at our hotel, I found they shared the same concerns and were very unhappy/disgusted as we were. The Riu Paradise has a long way to go in terms of customer service.

• Liked — Being close to Atlantis Hotel
  • Disliked — TOO many to list, rude attitude, disgusting/dirty bathroom, dirty sheets, dirty rooms,
4 Thank PrincessJL
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,702 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!