“Nice family-friendly resort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
London, United Kingdom
“Nice family-friendly resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

I recently visited Riu for 4 nights, and had a great stay. It was clean, staff was friendly, and the all-inclusive deal was fantastic. I would emphasize that this is a very family-friendly resort, lots of families and kids, very little entertainment/nightlife for young adults looking to go out.

Pros:
-All-inclusive meals and drinks, lots of options in buffet
-24 hour room service
-Rooms were nice and spacious, awesome ocean view
-Pool area was great, gets crowded so go early for chairs
-Right next door to the Atlantis. Even though Riu has minimal entertainment, you can just walk over - takes about two minutes.

Cons:
-All-inclusive restaurants were a MAJOR disappointment. Stick to the resort buffet dinners.
-Wifi was shoddy everywhere except for the lobby
-Jacuzzi was gross. The water in it was brown and water was cold.
-Beach was okay. We didn't venture off far from right outside the resort but that area was overcrowded and not very scenic. Also water was ROUGH when we went in March.

Room Tip: Lower floors are better so the elevator doesn't take forever.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank nycsh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,124)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed for 6 nights/7days Feb 8-14, 2014. Weather was gorgeous, this is a good week to go. Sunny, low 80s every day, light rain for 2 hours just one day. The beach and the water is absolutely gorgeous, the water was a perfect temp, soooo refreshing. We loved the beach so much we did not hang at the pool a lot, but everyone at the pool seemed like they were having a great time. There was always a pool lounge chair available if you wanted one, I did notice in the morning as I rise early and the GF likes to sleep, enjoying the morning air and coffee from our balcony the rude people that would go out early and throw their towels and books on a lounge chair then go off maybe to breakfast or whatever and come back 1-2 hours later so they could have a chair right next to the pool. Must be hard for some to walk the extra 10 yards, Ha!. The local coffee, well not that good but a 5 minute walk to a little retail area and you'll find Dunkin Donuts, Yay! for me as I loved morning coffee on the balcony overlooking paradise. Our room was 825 and it was a perfect. Adjacent and overlooking the pool and a super view of the ocean, loved it. Room was clean and cleaned everyday, not that damp as some have reviewed, a little but that is the climate and can't see how this is a bother to some, after a day you hardly notice it. This is such a convenient, blue collar hotel. Once you come off the elevator you don't have to walk more than 50 yards to get to the restaurants, the bars, the pool and maybe 75 yards to the beach. Night entertainment probably not the greatest but they try and I can hit sand wedge to the Atlantis so right next door is all the night life you need. All the hotel personell were great, the front desk broke a C-note for me several times with a smile and were happy too. We are not huge drinkers, have a few now and then, but we sure had our share of strawberry and banana daquiris on this trip. Gratuities were included, you will get great service if you don't, but we tip and for a $1 or two a round you could tell they really appreciate it. The buffet is good, would give it a solid B, plenty of choices, you'll find things you like and will leave full. We ate at the steakhouse and the Japanese restaurant and the food was great at both. I got to the reservation area early our first morning at 7:15am already with my DD coffee in hand and was first in line. A few started trickleing in around 7:30-7:45am and a bunch at 8:00am when they start taking reservations. I got prime seating time at our restaurants of choice for the 2 nights where others weren't so fortunate. Get there a little early and you won't have to settle for the cheap seats per say. Portions were not too big or too small, probably the size of what a person should eat, Ha!, and certainly delicious. I read other reviews that said the opposite, the food not being good but I don't see it. We tipped at the restaurants around $5, not necessary but you could tell it was more than most and they appreciate it. Our take is when it is all said and done we'll spend 4 grand, what's an extra hundred for the week to make someone happy who deserves it. I would like to single out Rochelle one of the servers at the buffet, she is wonderful. She served us several times, is so pleasant and always made sure my GF had a full diet coke and one to go always, trust me this is huge, Ha! We/she gave us/her a giant hug upon departing as she was just like family and it was sad saying goodbye. Now for some of the real fun stuff, my GF would tell you that the body massage one day and the foot massage the next she got on the beach was great. You can negotiate a jet ski, they are everywhere, for about $60 a half hour or $100 an hour. Parasailing will cost you $80. We absolutely LOVE casinos and were over the Atlantis every night. The entrance from the Riu and an entrance of the Atlantis is a minute away, just ask a bell hop he will point you in the right way. About a 5 walk and you will hear Chaching!! We played slots every night, I bet $2-$5 a spin and came home a few bucks richer, the GF unfortunately had a bad run. We saw the comedy show at the Atlantis, a cheap $20 a person and 2 minutes from the Riu entrance. Although I will say load up on your free drinks at the RIU prior cause it will cost you as does most at the Atlantis. The first 2 comics were OK, got some laughs but the last guy was hilarious, he had the place howling. We rented mo-peds (our first time) at JS scooterts, about a 10 minute walk away from the Riu at the Harbour resort, ( I think). The bellhops will point you in the right direction as they did us. We had a blast, you got to be careful at first, take wide turns a little slower than you think and it does take a little getting used as the Brits drive on the left. But soon you will be like Evil Kneavil. I was surprised they go pretty fast, I got it up to 75MPH once before a little bit of chicken set in. My GF actually and literally after she said maybe we ought to buy a motorcycle laid it down on the its' side, I knew she was OK, she's pretty tough but it was almost ugly and about wet myself laughing and a few of the locals had a front row seat and were crackin' up. We rode down to the straw market and enjoyed the afternoon. We had so much fun on the mopeds we rented them another day and cruised the island and went back to the market for souveniers for the folks back home, what fun. There is a store down at the market that sells bamboo shirts, way softer than cotton, go get you one, you'll love it. Had enough of this novel, well let me sum it up by saying unless you like to over spend for everything cause you can the RIU was a great deal, especially if you like to throw down a few cocktails and I felt I got got every pennys worth I spent. We had so much fun and it was so relaxing there. We will be back soon if not next February as we may try another Riu for a little variety but we will be back.

Room Tip: We could not reserve our room as we just booked the standard room but you can call 24 hours before y...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Mike O
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Went with my sister for a few days. Great location and the accommodations were fine. Food was very good. The bars could use a little updating but otherwise the place was great. It's right next to Atlantis for shopping, casino, etc., too! I would definitely go back.

Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Melanie C
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

I recently visited on our excursion day from a cruise. Things couldn't have been better. The employees I came in contact with were exceptional! Samantha at check in was extremely accommodating and patient with us. Tyler in the restaurant was eager to keep our water glasses full and "Superman" on the pool deck was outstanding. He kept the pool deck free of cups and debris and when we arrived he quickly found us chairs! My friends and I had the best time! The gentlemen at the pool bar were fantastic as well, I wish I knew their names! I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I did not stay in a room, I enjoyed the pool and restaurant for the day!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank HappyCampermb
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Anyone who has a bad thing to say about this resort must be extremely picky. I've been to a range of 4 - 5 star all inclusive resorts in Mayan Riviera, Punta Cana and Varadero and this one was by far the nicest of all. We travelled in a group of 15 of us with ages ranging from children to seniors and stayed at this resort from March 11th - March 18th

Beach
BEAUTIFUL. The water was clear and the fish would swim right up to you. The sand was very clean and soft. There were some big waves some days and others were more calm but we enjoyed the beach either way

Best i've ever had at an all inclusive. The food was amazing, so much variety and everything was very fresh. You must try the donuts at the breakfast buffet. We never went to the ala carts as we went in a big family of 15 and we still didn't get bored. Every night was a different theme (my favourite was greek night)

Rooms
Amazing. we stayed in the junior suite - beautiful modern room with an ocean view.

Staff
The staff were all super friendly and kind especially Anfernee from the animation staff

Nightlife
We were there during spring break so the bars were always busy at night. Lots of fun for people in their 20s. Most people would have some drinks at the sports or lobby bars then walk over to the Atlantis (you can walk right through to the casino and marina for free)

Outstanding trip and I would go back in a heart beat. I am defiantly recommending this resort to everyone interested, you will not regret it!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 230. Wifi worked perfectly there :)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank megcupcakes
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

My friend and I went for a short fun in the sun vacation. Luckily I had spoken to a colleague who had stayed there a week prior so I knew what to expect. I had stayed at a Riu previously in Cabo San Lucas and my parents had stayed at another of their properties. This one is in need of a refresh. On the positive side, the property was clean and the service we received was outstanding! From the front desk staff to the wait staff at the restaurants, everyone was friendly, professional and went out of their way to accommodate your requests. The food at the a la carte restaurants was amazing! Definitely one of the best resort dining experiences I have had!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank zee d
Carnduff, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our first visit to RIU at Paradise Island. We have a great time. We were so impressed how all of the hotel staff greeted us and asked us how we were doing. They always had time for us, and made us feel very important. The room was scoured thoroughly each day, and it didn't seem to matter when we asked for our room to be clean, the maids worked around our schedules. Tips never were expected, and the buffet had amazing food. Not sure about the people who say the food wasn't up to their expectations. The selection was terrific, tasty, and the servers ranged from very happy and accommodating women, young men and best of all, Lyndon, the singing waiter who told us and treated us like VIP's. Our room didn't face the ocean, but we had a view. We found that the enthusiasm and courtesy of the staff transferred to the guests, who, consistently greeted each other in the elevator (instead of everyone looking at their feet) and this resort made everyone relaxed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,650 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!