After reading all the negative reviews, I was expecting our family vacation of 7 people to be somewhat disappointing. The only thing disappointing was the weather. The wind finally died down and the sun came out on the Saturday of the Thanksgiving weekend, and we were checking out Sunday. Yes, the hallways seemed muggy with a damp, I wouldn't call it mildew, smell. I think dehumidifiers or blowers would resolve that issue. yes, some of the towel holders had some corrosion, but this is a Caribbean island, right? There was a bit of mold on the ceiling of my parents' room, my room seemed to have been recently painted, so hopefully they are addressing that issue on an ongoing basis. Water pressure and temperature was perfect. On the whole, I found the place to be well kept and furnished, the beds were comfortable. The A/C didn't seem to run on a thermostat-so we opened the terrace door or turned off the A/C when it got too chilly. The wifi was spotty on our phones but great on my laptop in the room. I'd have to reset the connection pretty often.
The buffet was really great for each meal and exceeded my expectations, especially the local cuisine choices. The Conch fry was much better than the fritters and special requests were honored! Loved the fresh fruit juices for breakfast. The Cafe au lait was fantastic! We weren't very impressed with the Japanese and Gourmet restaurants. The effort and presentation was there but the food was not very impressive. The wine throughout the resort is subpar-Frontera, I would stay away from the Merlot and Cab and just go for the Chardonnay. The bubbly was pretty good on the other hand. I found the lobby bar to have mostly speed rack liquor, and the sports bar and pool bar had the mid and top tier labels. They had local beer in the bars and Miller Light in the room fridges. Kalik(on tap) and Sands(bottled) were pretty good, They ran out early in the day of the bottled regular Sands, but there was no shortage of the Sands Light(low carb), or the tap Kaliks. It seemed that the guests at the lobby bar were more social than at the sports bar. Any frozen or mixed drink was readily available at the bars. We carried drinks over to the Atlantis all the time. The entertainment was not star caliber by any means but we appreciated the effort. and there were bright moments. The staff overall were friendly and accommodating, and some were truly sparklingly despite being exposed to the rude tourists/guests which I'm sure they must encounter all the time.
The Atlantis is right next door (Beach Tower). No discount for the waterpark. You can purchase passes and other excursions from Majestic Tours in the lobby. You can visit the aquarium (The Dig) after about 5:30pm, otherwise there is a fee collected. The casino is not all that large and the slots were not as tight as I thought they would be. The table minimums were high at night, but you could find $10 tables during the day. Be sure to get a players card. They offer up to $100 slot play for your action. drinks are free on the casino floor but not at the sports book. BTW, everything is expensive at the Atlantis, so take advantage of the all-inclusive advantages at the RIU!!!
I recommend the RIU, especially if you've traveled to the Caribbean islands before, and I'd certainly return there in the future!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Paradise Island (the Bahamas), 3 km/1.8 Miles from Nassau * 100 m/328 ft from "Atlantis", the largest casino in the Caribbean * 14-story building * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 3 km/1.8 Miles to downtown Nassau * 200 m/656 ft from various shops * 25 km/15.5 Miles from the airport * 200 m/656 ft from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Discover ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, RIU Hotels and Resorts, TravelUp, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Paradise Island Hotel Paradise Island
- Riu Hotel Paradise Island
- Paradise Island Sheraton
- Paradise Island Riu Hotel
- Riu Paradise Island Bahamas
- Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island Bahamas