“Pleasantly Surprised!!!!”

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
NYC
“Pleasantly Surprised!!!!”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

After reading all the negative reviews, I was expecting our family vacation of 7 people to be somewhat disappointing. The only thing disappointing was the weather. The wind finally died down and the sun came out on the Saturday of the Thanksgiving weekend, and we were checking out Sunday. Yes, the hallways seemed muggy with a damp, I wouldn't call it mildew, smell. I think dehumidifiers or blowers would resolve that issue. yes, some of the towel holders had some corrosion, but this is a Caribbean island, right? There was a bit of mold on the ceiling of my parents' room, my room seemed to have been recently painted, so hopefully they are addressing that issue on an ongoing basis. Water pressure and temperature was perfect. On the whole, I found the place to be well kept and furnished, the beds were comfortable. The A/C didn't seem to run on a thermostat-so we opened the terrace door or turned off the A/C when it got too chilly. The wifi was spotty on our phones but great on my laptop in the room. I'd have to reset the connection pretty often.
The buffet was really great for each meal and exceeded my expectations, especially the local cuisine choices. The Conch fry was much better than the fritters and special requests were honored! Loved the fresh fruit juices for breakfast. The Cafe au lait was fantastic! We weren't very impressed with the Japanese and Gourmet restaurants. The effort and presentation was there but the food was not very impressive. The wine throughout the resort is subpar-Frontera, I would stay away from the Merlot and Cab and just go for the Chardonnay. The bubbly was pretty good on the other hand. I found the lobby bar to have mostly speed rack liquor, and the sports bar and pool bar had the mid and top tier labels. They had local beer in the bars and Miller Light in the room fridges. Kalik(on tap) and Sands(bottled) were pretty good, They ran out early in the day of the bottled regular Sands, but there was no shortage of the Sands Light(low carb), or the tap Kaliks. It seemed that the guests at the lobby bar were more social than at the sports bar. Any frozen or mixed drink was readily available at the bars. We carried drinks over to the Atlantis all the time. The entertainment was not star caliber by any means but we appreciated the effort. and there were bright moments. The staff overall were friendly and accommodating, and some were truly sparklingly despite being exposed to the rude tourists/guests which I'm sure they must encounter all the time.
The Atlantis is right next door (Beach Tower). No discount for the waterpark. You can purchase passes and other excursions from Majestic Tours in the lobby. You can visit the aquarium (The Dig) after about 5:30pm, otherwise there is a fee collected. The casino is not all that large and the slots were not as tight as I thought they would be. The table minimums were high at night, but you could find $10 tables during the day. Be sure to get a players card. They offer up to $100 slot play for your action. drinks are free on the casino floor but not at the sports book. BTW, everything is expensive at the Atlantis, so take advantage of the all-inclusive advantages at the RIU!!!
I recommend the RIU, especially if you've traveled to the Caribbean islands before, and I'd certainly return there in the future!

Room Tip: Ask for odd and high numbered rooms. You would be overlooking the pool and beach. We asked for a h...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 1Renegade

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,178)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We have stayed at another Rui Palace and was so impressed. When going to the Bahamas we decided to stay at the Rui Palace expecting the same experience. The resort is small which is fine for short stays. The pool I thought was dirty. They could do a better job of cleaning. There were many empty cups at the poolside. My past experience as soon as a cup was empty the staff were picking them up. Pretty much had to go to get your drinks if you were on the beach or poolside. Again in the past if you had an empty cup staff were checking to see you wanted a refill. Drinks were tasty though. Beach was very nice but small and no shade. It is an open beach so the locals selling merchandise we bothersome. At times I would just leave because I got tired of constantly being asked. The water is gorgeous! The food was delicious and with it being a smaller buffet they did a great job of mixing up. I am a picky foodie and will give this 5 stars. Hate the reservation process for the A la carte restaurants. You have to be there early and they start taking reservations at 0800. Not all A la Cartes are open ever night. That was frustrating. Only was able to do one A la Carte. The rooms were very nice. It did smell though like mildew. The carpets need to removed. The fridge has plenty of stock. Not just one of everything. There was a day that our room did not get tidied or restocked but we had plenty until the next day. We were
on the 8 floor and it took a very long time to get hot water into the shower. At first I thought it was broken. We had a family suite so i had to use the kids bathroom. I expected more of a better view since we upgraded and requested ocean view. We were above the huge air conditioning unit so it was not peaceful. Internet in the room really didn't work. The beds were comfortable. Worked well in the lobby. People are very friendly in the Bahamas. The weather was perfect. When it rained it was a short shower. Not much children activites but you are next door to the Atlantis.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank TamiTedley
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were told this was 5 star. No way. I'd give it 2 stars!! We arrived to opt he riu around 10 p.m. To our surprise all the restaurants were closed. Even the buffet. And the sports bar was open....serving "light snacks". Nachos and fruit and cold turkey sandwiches. Room service was turkey sandwiches or nachos and a few other choices. Thank god for Atlantis being right next door because we were there every night and our weather was not too great so we actually were there during the days also! We were on our honeymoon which they knew and we had 2 beds pushed together!! We met friends who were dating and they only had one bed so I am not sure why they would give someone on their honeymoon 2 beds!!! They also did nothing special for us. No champagne or rose petals or anything!!! Rooms were small. We were not able to get dinner reservations because they were filled up every time we tried to make them. The staff was not very friendly. The only friendly staff member we ran into was Lenny at the bar. First night our toilet also broke and they didn't fix it until the next morning. We were not able to flush it all night. Room service was busy every time we called and the front desk would answer and say they must be busy call back later. Our didn't even get cleaned every day!! We were gone all day and got back and our room was still not done. I had to go ask for towels because we didn't have any. The maids said we are out we will deliver them as soon as we get more. 2 hours later we still didn't have towels. We had to use hand towels to get a shower. We went out to dinner (at Atlantis) on our way I stopped at the front desk and said we were leaving and no one cleaned our room yet. She said she would have someone do it before we got back. We came back 2 hours later we had towels on the bathroom counter but they did not clean the room!!! I stayed at a riu in Mexico it was so much nicer there was a nice Italian restaurant opened 24 hours, everyone was nice, they treated you like gold, rooms were clean and big. I was expecting way more. This is a nice place for college kids on spring break not for families or couples. I would never ever come back to this riu!!!

3 Thank Labpick

Travelers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

Avoca
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed in room 727 on the 7th floor. The room was nice with a partial ocean view. The room was always stocked with sodas,beers,water. Also always made up and cleaned each day. The breakfast was pretty simple,lunch had a good amount of choices to select from but it was pretty much the same each day,dinner buffet was great the first night we were there I was super impressed. However that was short lived the rest of the nights I wasn't as impressed with choices offered though there was always something I found to eat. Drinks were good I find they put more achohol in drinks at night then during the day. Staff were very kind and helpful. At night there isn't much to do as most people are most likely at Atlantis, the staff really do try their hardest to entertain the people there though. The beach is so gorgeous!!!! Many people are out there selling things but usually a polite no and they leave you alone. The pool looked nice early morning but by afternoon was dirty looking but I did see them cleaning it everyday. But after all I don't come to the Bahamas's to swim in a pool. They also offer late check out in which you can keep your room till 6pm for $100 or you can talk to the manger day of check out for an extra hr no charge. They also have people in the lobby you can book tours with. The gift shop is nice has lots of cute things a little pricey. Over all I enjoyed my stay! I'm a picky person and was so nervous after some of these reviews. But I've come to the conclusion some people are just ridiculous after hearing conversations from some people are just nit pickers. The hotel is also about 40 mins from the airport. I would def. stay here again if I ever come back to the Bahamas's!

5 Thank bmcand5510
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Having read all of the negative reviews for this hotel i was concerned about going to it, however the decision was made and off i went! i tried to have a realistic expectation and i think that worked for me!
Approaching the Riu, you could well be mistaken for thinking that you are going to the service entrance of the Atlantis Resort, which in effect, you are! Atlantis has spread right up the the boundary with the Riu and roomers are that it is in the process of trying to buy the property. However a right turn at the Atlantis security gate takes you into the Riu's parking lot.
Upon arrival, you are greeted by a very grand lobby area. The first surprise was that people were smoking in it but then this is the Bahamas where anything goes!
Check in was simple and the staff were very good. Everything was explaned and then the info was handed to us in black and white as they knew 'it was a lot to take in'!
we were in Room 921 on the pool / atlantis side of the building about half way along. Within 5 minutes of entering the room, reception had called to ensure everything was ok with the room which was a nice touch!

The rooms themselves are ok - the beds comfortable, the safe worked and the fridged / optics fully stocked!
I had read a number of reports of the rooms being damp and moldy ...... this is kind of true! As you enter the room, the A/C is on full and it does smell of damp. The carpets felt damp however they could have just been cold! i didnt work that one out in the week that i was there! Opening the door to the Balcony soon removed the smell and it only came back when housekeeping had been in and closed the door and put the A/C on again! There was some mold in the Bathroom - this was in the bath / shower area on the ceiling in the corners. To be honest, i didnt actually notice it until day 6 of 7 so it cant be that bad!
Housekeeping did a good job however they took forever to come! it was usually 2 - 3pm before they arrived and it took them about an hour to service the room - but as i say, they did a good job.
WiFi ........
Dont bother! it was terrible. the connection dropped out every couple of minutes and that was if you could actually connect in the first place. If you decided to get up in the middle of the night however, it wasnt too bad. You could usually get on and it only quit at 5 - 10 min intervals!

If you are on the Atlantis side of the property, expect to be up during the night!
I was expecting the property to be noisy with the usual drunk people from the partying going on below however this was not the case..... what kept me up was the Atlantis service area. Staff shouting at each other, Trucks arriving 24/7 making delieveries, banging and crashing around. Trucks sounding their horns at 3am ... you name it really! Closing the door to the balcony will shut 70% of the noise out but it also shuts out 100% of the sound of the waves on the beach :(

The Food at the property was excellent ...... very 'samey' but excellent. The breakfast buffet was wonderful with just about everything you can imagine available. hot, cold, fruit, continental and even salad with a selection of meats.
Lunch was an assortment of foods. Always available were hot dogs (very good) hamburgers / cheeseburgers ( not very good at all) pizza, pasta, frys and salad. Occasionally available was a fish choice, a beef choice and a chicken choice all of which was very good. (fish most days!). the dessert section was ok, very attractive to look at but i didnt sample it too often.
Dinner is a more formal meal - you wait to be seated and are actually served your drinks.the only issue i found was that no one communicated this to us on the first day and i think we upset a few people when we walked in and just sat down! The food is good - there is a wider range to chose from if you like the theming of the evening. Otherwise, its the same every night again! fish, pasta, various meats, salads etc. Dont get me wrong - i loved it but after 6 days it does get a little .......... tired!
i didnt sample any of the other speciality restaurants on site, mainly due to the booking system for them. but that has been mentioned in other reviews already!

The entertainment at the hotel leaves a lot to be desired.... poolside 'entertainment' was the same every day and really couldnt be described as entertainment at all .... evening entertainment was slightly better.
i kind of felt sorry for those in charge of the entertainment as no one really paid much attention to it. Must be very demotivational for the staff - i can see why it wasnt too good!

The pool area is pleasent, the service is good and the location next to the beach is wonderful. The beach itself is public and as such there are a LOT of people trying to sell you things on it .... clothing, booze cruses, shells, starfish, jet skis, parasending - pretty much everything! this put me off using the beach to begin with, however you soon get used to it and they know that if you say no, you mean it and they dont bother you any more. The sea is amazing but can be rough! When rough it WILL eat you! Watching people getting knocked over by the waves and then remove several pounds of sand from areas it shouldnt be in became a sport and very funny!!!
on a serious note - respect the sea and please dont let kids go near it even when there is only a slight swell. im 6'7 and heavy set and even the small waves managed to knock me off my feet and flip me several several times!
Also, watch out for the jet skis..... they seem to have no respect for the swimmers or beach users. I did see the police move them on but that was just once in 7 days! (my last day as well!)

The general condition of the hotel is avarage for a waterside property that is often hit by hurricains and storms..... there is some rusted metal work, a couple of lights in hard to reach places hanging off the wall but in general its ok. i admit, i didnt look too hard for problems - i was on holiday and didnt want to find things wrong, but on the surface things seemed ok.
The onsite gift shop was expensive - a 5 min walk through atlantis and then to the local shops reduced the prices of the same goods to about half of that charged at the hotel.

Although there were children on site, i would not suggest taking your children here. There is nothing at all for them to do unless you spend big bucks next door at atlantis.
When you do venture to atlantis, expect to pay! $45 per person for a day pass. (i was told by a local that its free after 6pm but didnt actually try this out!) $160 per person for a sealion encounter (Worth every penny!!!! Do it!) $3.50 for a small bottle of water..... Get your tickets for all of the atlantis attractions from atlantis direct and not from the desk in the Riu..... they have to make a commision and usually add about $20 - 30 per person per ticket!

Check out was simple and all of the staff were very professional and polite. We did tip some and not others and the standard of service was consistant with both

In general this is a good hotel. There are some faults but they are not bad enough to let it ruin your holiday.

this is NOT a 5 star hotel and as long as you arrive knowing this, im sure you wont be too disapointed.

Room Tip: rooms not on the pool side of the building are quieter and have better views of the ocean. Dont go...
5 Thank soarinuk
Rockland, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Spent 4 days - small property, so okay for short stay; food okay; place kept clean; cosmetic repairs are much needed; workers were pleasant; Bahama water beautiful, but a little rough on this side of island. Reservations for specialty restaurants is ridiculous 'cause you could only book for that night and the next at 8-9am each morning waiting in line. That night was always booked due to previous days bookings and the next night was always filled at least for the 6:30pm seating and sometimes both the 6:30 & 9:00pm seatings were booked. The buffet food got boring. Should not be any time frame limitations to book specialty restaurants and you shouldn't have to wait in line, you should be able to call from your room. The RIU resorts are the only all-inclusive that I have encountered with this type of reservation format. This is a big negative for me and probably will keep me from ever visiting the RIU resorts again. Same thing happened in RIU Aruba.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karen B
Damifno, SC
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We always have a good time when we visit Nassau and pick up a day pass at the Riu. The pass includes the beach chairs, pools & whirlpools, clean towels when you need them and all the alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks you could imagine. The pass also includes the buffet lunch, breakfast if you arrive early like we did as well. The hotel is very posh, the pool and area excellently maintained.

This time the weather was against us. We had very strong winds and the beach was not the place to be. No problem we relocated to a lounge chair in the pool area. You could see the rain squalls approaching and everyone packed up their bags and towels and made for the covered patio area around the pool to wait it out. A typical passing shower, rain for 10 minutes then off and on sun again.

Back to the pool and the pool bar opened shortly thereafter, about 11 I believe. The Sports Bar was already open when we arrived. A bit more chair time then to the buffet. They have all sorts of hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dogs and fixings. They have six or seven other hot entrees as well as hot vegetables to compliment your lunch.

I was a bit disappointed this last go by the hamburgers in the "keep it warmer bowl". They were cooked well-done and their time in the warmer had moved them well past that rating. No undercooked advisory needed. The other hot bar food was very good. They have a large dessert & salad bar. The dessert bar has real ice cream you can dip out yourself.

For the price you pay, when compared to the other day pass "all-inclusive" spots on Nassau, this has to be in the top five or less.

1 Thank TipSC
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!