“A great deal and fantastic service!”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My Mom, Sister and I took a last minute trip (4 Nights) to The Riu Paradise and it was everything we were hoping for. We did get a great deal as vacations to the Bahamas tend to be pricey. This resort was not as fancy and it is definitely an older resort but that doesn't bother me. It was very clean, food was fantastic (Just like every other Riu I have stayed at). The pool is a bit smaller how-ever it was down season during my stay so there was never an issue getting a chair etc. The beach is crystal clear, the sand is white and they have a great spot on the beach. I cannot say enough about the FANTASTIC, friendly, wonderful staff. They have a great entertainment crew that get you involved and really make you feel welcome. The servers and bar tenders are so fun. I especially enjoyed meeting and chatting with Lenny & Trump :) They were fun and made my vacation!
I will see you next year Riu Paradise!! (Will be going back for sure!)
If you are looking for a fun, relaxing vacation.... you should stay here!

Room Tip: The 15th floor has a beautiful view how-ever there is only one elevator available to get to this flo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank KateyToronto
Write a ReviewReviews (4,958)

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I visited the Riu Palace with family who have been approx 6 times and they were very disappointed by how the Riu standard had slipped in this hotel. If you didn't tip you didn't get the service (Americans go over the top with tips and have now spoilt it for the rest of us unfortunately). Restaurants, A La Carte, weren't open some nights and the bar in the lobby was closed till 5 p.m on the day we left so guess anyone checking in that day couldn't get a welcome drink....disappointing. The entertainment team did nothing through the day, very disappointing. We saw the "Riu dance" once in the 4 day break we were there. All in all we wouldn't go back again and my cousin, who was a regular visitor, won't be also. Poor Riu, very poor

Room Tip: We stayed in 1115 and it was a nice room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BabsA51
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This hotel has ruined the RIU chain for me. I will never again put my faith in the name of this brand, and they should be ashamed they are trying to pass themselves off as a RIU. I have stayed in many other RIU hotels, and used the name as a basis for my weekend get away to celebrate my best friend's bday. The hotel was mildew smelling, the pool had a constant slime in one corner, and the beach had so many yelling vendors, we couldn't enjoy ourselves. At check in, we weren't told that there is only ONE HOUR per day (8-9 AM) to make a restaurant reservation. This is NUTS! Not too mention, they told us everything was booked, and the dining rooms were constantly half full.

I tried to speak with the GM, but he couldn't be bothered. My email to RIU corporate remains unanswered. My suggestion - skip the all inclsuvie expectations of a RIU, and head for any other spot on the island. My guess is you have the same opportunity for enjoying your stay.

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Chitown T

1week stay Oct.6-13,2013
One of the worst seviced all inclusive Riu Resorts in the world.
Pool is dirty with no chlorine-- Very cloudy with scum floating all day long!!
Pool staff is lazy doesn't care about the guests happiness.
Beach staff if you can find them is the worst I ever experienced at a all inclusive resort.
Front desk manager has a racial big time attitude and will not help or smile to help you
Asst General Manager has no interest in the guests happiness or complaints
Don't waste your time or money staying at this resort
Hopefully the Atlantis will buy it and make it a real resort for rest and relaxation. Not Agravation and Stress on your vacation

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C noise and better view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anthony F
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I waited way too long to do this review but here goes.
Last year I wanted to take my staff and their spouses somewhere special for our Christmas party. We're located near Toronto, Ontario, Canada, We chose the Riu on Paradise Island, Bahamas. 10 people and we all loved it!
The rooms were spotless, the staff and housekeepers very friendly and competent and the location was super. A beautiful pool deck right beside the all day buffet and a great pool bar, and only 10 steps down to Cabbage Beach....one of the best in the Bahamas!
Lots to do around the hotel during the day and night and for variety you can go next door to the Atlantis. The Riu is also a short cab ride to downtown Nassau, or a short walk and water shuttle to the port. All in all it was a great way to celebrate our staff Christmas, and was surprisingly close in cost to going to a resort in Ontario.
If you have a special group of people you work with and want a special place to go, check out The Riu on Paradise Island! We're all going again this year!

Room Tip: Ocean view is always good, but really, unless you plan to stay in you room and look out the window...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank LarryEmm
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our trip to the RIU in the Bahamas in September was one of the best vacations we have had in years! What a great place to visit. When they say "Inclusive" they mean it. Remember, no matter if it's a 5 star resort, people are going to find something to complain about. We went with rather low expectations and were blown away by the place! The staff was excellent!

We arrived at 9:00 a.m. and could not get into a room until 3:00. They gave us our braclet/pass and we enjoyed the facilities until we got into our room. The Atlantis really is right next door; we spent about five hours at the acquariums (after you buy your pass you can go into the acquarium areas for the entire day). When we were there the acquarium pass was $45; well worth it.

We walked down (about 3/4 a mile) and took the ferry across to town and walked around down town one day. The "Straw Market" was a bust; the same (crap) piled up aisle after aisle after another; we did not stay there very long. We did walk down (1 1/2 miles or so) to the fish fry area; only a few were open during the day-some opening for dinner. We were lucky to get in and got a combo plate ($32) it was great. This was the only time we "ate out" during the whole trip. We did not want to be down town after dark, so it worked out well.

Cab ride from airport to the hotel is $32-$35; they all charge the same...we took a few excursions-the town tour ($25) was good, we took that the first day to see where what was going on. They took us to the Fort, and that was cool. We took a tour to a deserted island for snorkeling and beach time one day, included lunch. It was OK; kind of a waste of a day. Then on the last day we took a 1/2 day snorkle trip ($75) that took us to three differnt snorkle spots and that was GREAT.

The only problem we had is that one morning the water in our section of the hotel was turned off for a couple of hours, but we managed. I didn't care for some of the food in the buffet, but there was so so much food that I could always find something good to eat. Dinner was always excellent.

HINTS: Be sure to bring a swim suit cover up and men wear a shirt and some sort of sandles; you can not be in the lobby without a shirt/cover up and shoes on. You can bring your own cup; the ones that they serve drinks in are pretty small. I like to make iced tea in the room and always bring my own cup.

We would definitely go there again; we are looking forward to going to the other RIU's around the world. Questions? Please email me if you have any questions.

GO. AND HAVE A GREAT TIME.

Room Tip: Actually, all are "ocean view". Ours was ocean and pool view. We likes watching the drun...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pmatheus
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Worst holiday ever. Arrived for lunch. Restaurant had limited selection. Our room was great ocean front and high enough. Beach full of vendors yelling to one another all day long. Yesterday at 1 they put on extremely loud rap music on beach until 4:30. The pool area is very noisy. As I said no relaxing here. Guests are rude, smoke cheap cigars in your face. Smokers allowed almost everywhere. Japanese restaurant a joke. Relied on Trip Advisor to make my decision to book. Just thought I'd be honest for the next people. My room was the only good thing and it was the most expensive. Go elsewhere

• Stayed: October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
The Royal at Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#3 of 14 in Paradise Island
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#1 of 36 in Nassau

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!