“Perfect location, great staff, wonderful food!”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I waited way too long to do this review but here goes.
Last year I wanted to take my staff and their spouses somewhere special for our Christmas party. We're located near Toronto, Ontario, Canada, We chose the Riu on Paradise Island, Bahamas. 10 people and we all loved it!
The rooms were spotless, the staff and housekeepers very friendly and competent and the location was super. A beautiful pool deck right beside the all day buffet and a great pool bar, and only 10 steps down to Cabbage Beach....one of the best in the Bahamas!
Lots to do around the hotel during the day and night and for variety you can go next door to the Atlantis. The Riu is also a short cab ride to downtown Nassau, or a short walk and water shuttle to the port. All in all it was a great way to celebrate our staff Christmas, and was surprisingly close in cost to going to a resort in Ontario.
If you have a special group of people you work with and want a special place to go, check out The Riu on Paradise Island! We're all going again this year!

Room Tip: Ocean view is always good, but really, unless you plan to stay in you room and look out the window...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank LarryEmm

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our trip to the RIU in the Bahamas in September was one of the best vacations we have had in years! What a great place to visit. When they say "Inclusive" they mean it. Remember, no matter if it's a 5 star resort, people are going to find something to complain about. We went with rather low expectations and were blown away by the place! The staff was excellent!

We arrived at 9:00 a.m. and could not get into a room until 3:00. They gave us our braclet/pass and we enjoyed the facilities until we got into our room. The Atlantis really is right next door; we spent about five hours at the acquariums (after you buy your pass you can go into the acquarium areas for the entire day). When we were there the acquarium pass was $45; well worth it.

We walked down (about 3/4 a mile) and took the ferry across to town and walked around down town one day. The "Straw Market" was a bust; the same (crap) piled up aisle after aisle after another; we did not stay there very long. We did walk down (1 1/2 miles or so) to the fish fry area; only a few were open during the day-some opening for dinner. We were lucky to get in and got a combo plate ($32) it was great. This was the only time we "ate out" during the whole trip. We did not want to be down town after dark, so it worked out well.

Cab ride from airport to the hotel is $32-$35; they all charge the same...we took a few excursions-the town tour ($25) was good, we took that the first day to see where what was going on. They took us to the Fort, and that was cool. We took a tour to a deserted island for snorkeling and beach time one day, included lunch. It was OK; kind of a waste of a day. Then on the last day we took a 1/2 day snorkle trip ($75) that took us to three differnt snorkle spots and that was GREAT.

The only problem we had is that one morning the water in our section of the hotel was turned off for a couple of hours, but we managed. I didn't care for some of the food in the buffet, but there was so so much food that I could always find something good to eat. Dinner was always excellent.

HINTS: Be sure to bring a swim suit cover up and men wear a shirt and some sort of sandles; you can not be in the lobby without a shirt/cover up and shoes on. You can bring your own cup; the ones that they serve drinks in are pretty small. I like to make iced tea in the room and always bring my own cup.

We would definitely go there again; we are looking forward to going to the other RIU's around the world. Questions? Please email me if you have any questions.

GO. AND HAVE A GREAT TIME.

Room Tip: Actually, all are "ocean view". Ours was ocean and pool view. We likes watching the drun...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pmatheus
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Worst holiday ever. Arrived for lunch. Restaurant had limited selection. Our room was great ocean front and high enough. Beach full of vendors yelling to one another all day long. Yesterday at 1 they put on extremely loud rap music on beach until 4:30. The pool area is very noisy. As I said no relaxing here. Guests are rude, smoke cheap cigars in your face. Smokers allowed almost everywhere. Japanese restaurant a joke. Relied on Trip Advisor to make my decision to book. Just thought I'd be honest for the next people. My room was the only good thing and it was the most expensive. Go elsewhere

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Nice rooms although the rooms have a lot of moisture in them. The bathroom does not have an exhaust fan. There were full bottles of liquor in the room and some drinks in the fridge. Coffee maker. Safe. 32" TV. Table. Two side chairs. 2 end tables. King sized bed.

The Internet was not that good actually. If you found the perfect spot in the room then it would work just well, but other times it would not work that well.

Nice bathroom. Double sinks. Excellent water pressure as well as hot hot water. (But makes the room full of moisture. Even know the air conditioner cooled the air the air was quite humid).

The pool was great. The food was quite good. My boyfriend wanted to eat at all of the a la carte restaurants, but honestly I would have preferred the buffet food. There was always something nice to eat at the buffet and it would have been so much easier to just choose what I wanted to eat.

If you arrive late don't expect the best of the best food. There was stale nachos and salty hot dogs and some cut fruit. Better than nothing.

The room service really was not that appetizing. It's all included but has slim pickings and I we didn't even order once even though we were hungry.

Wifi in the lobby was good, but we had to enter the password quite a few times. The Internet speed is only about 3 megabits so just enough for email and Facebook. Netflix did work with a VPN.

Atlantis is right next door. Meaning like next door. If you want to go to atlantis do what we did and booked a hotel room last minute for $166 USD. That included 2 wrist bands and they were valid for most of two days. We didn't even stay in e room. We saved a ton because each day of an Atlantis bracelet is $130 USD. We wanted to stay there because the Room was not so humid there but with no food or drinks it really did not make sense. They did have a 42" TV. And it had very very expensive wifi.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed at the Riu from 10/3-10/9. We checked in with no problem, we actually upgrated to a oceanfront suite and had no problems doing so. As far as making reservations for the restaurants had not a problem doing that either. Went right in to the people at the buffet and made all my reservation in about 5 minutes. Housekeeping well a little tip goes a far way. I couldnt have asked for a cleaner room, wet rugs and dampness, well you are in the carribean right on the water. The beach is beautiful, as far as the people pushing jet skies, well if the people staying at the resort wouldnt bring them down plates of food in exchange for something to smoke you wouldnt even know they are there. Yes the entertainment at night isnt the most wonderful but since I went with my boyfriend and totally enjoy his company we were content sitting on the beach at night or the bar enjoying a drink and each others company. I have been to the Riu a few times now and must say it has improved and is worth the money. Remember you go there on vacation you shouldnt be stressing about the ac being too cold, the rug having a rip the room being damp. Go and enjoy yourself. If you want a 5 star resort next book one.......

Room Tip: We had room 532, more expensive but totally worth every penny of it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank roerainbow
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed at Riu from 9/28-10/5. We arrived after 4:00 so we had no problem checking in. The girl who checked us in was very nice. I can’t remember her name. We were on the 7th Floor. Room temperature was hard to control. It was either too hot or too cold and the carpeting was always wet. Room was alittle on the small side. Bathroom had two sinks which was nice, but not a lot of counter space. Shower was hard to control also, either too hot or too cold, plus there was no light in the shower so it was dark. No vent in the shower either. Housekeeping gave us whatever we needed, mostly tissues since we both, unfortunately, had colds while we were there and went through a box of tissues in a day. Despite having a cold, we both had a great time! Food was good, with a different theme every night. Breakfast always seemed to be the same though. It was our anniversary while we were there and we mentioned that to the girl at the front desk when we checked in and had a bottle of Champaign waiting in out room the next day. Specialty restaurant reservation system is terrible! We really wanted to eat at the steakhouse for our anniversary, but since we arrived on Saturday and our anniversary was Sunday, it was already booked. We didn’t want the buffet for our anniversary so we had to settle on the Japanese restaurant. I hated it, but probably mostly because I don’t eat Japanese food. I ordered the beef dish, which I thought would be ok, but it had some kind of weird sauce on it. We did manage to get the steakhouse for 2 other nights and it was very good. Buffet had lobster tails one night. Staff was very nice and friendly. Do not get a massage at the spa!! We had a so called couple massage for our anniversary. We were far away from each other and the room was freezing!!! The ac vent was blowing right on me. I mentioned it to the massage therapist and she just threw another blanket or towel on me. I complained afterwards that I wasn’t happy and they offered us another massage at no cost, but we had to argue with them a bit. They had no talk to their manager on the phone first. The Jacuzzi by the pool wasn’t working, but there is one inside the spa area, you just have to go in there to use it. We also got plenty of water in our room. There were always 3 bottles there. We never had to ask for water. I didn't think the pool was dirty like other people said. I saw people cleaning it a few times while we were there. Property is also very clean.

The hotel isn’t as bad as other pople are making it out to be. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 252jan253
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Where to start? I don't even want to have to take the time to write this lengthy review because I tried my hardest to get these issues resolved while still ON the property. I tried and failed to get any resolution. But I tried my hardest. Even if someone responds to this review with some generic 'we're sorry,' it is too late. I won't return to any RIU because I TRIED to get this resolved sooner - the front desk knew I had an issue, the head of housekeeping knew and the GM knew but clearly, no one cared. Customer service - FAIL.

Scenario: We booked days before our arrival and it was the low season. We arrived on a Tuesday and would be checking out on Thursday. Without going into

1 - Upon arrival we learned that two of the four restaurants were closed and we would not be able to secure restaurant reservations until Thursday evening -- when we would be leaving

2 - Never was I told - on the RIU 1.888 number, online or when we checked in at the front desk that only 50% of the reservations required restaurants would be open.

3 - I was under the impression from my conversation with the RIU reservation number that restaurant reservations would be same day between 8 and 9 am. Imagine our surprise when we found out, guests could book for that day and the next, leaving us with not one reservation option for our two night stay.

4 - The front desk did us a favor and secured us a reservation for our second, and final, night. The restaurant had plenty of open seats anyway so the reservation system may be a bit flawed anyway.

5 - I wanted to get several issues resolved and so was able to speak with the head of housekeeping who told me that she would speak with the GM. He never showed his face in the 48 hours we were there.

I asked how he would get in touch and she said, and I quote "leave it to beaver" - so assumed they would call and leave a message, or leave a note. They did also know where we would be eating on night #2 so figured they may have reached out that way.

The morning we were to check out, i found the head of housekeeping and she told me that they tried to contact us by ringing the room. One - why not leave a voicemail or a note? Two - Am I to sit in my room waiting for information that they may or may not provide? I would receive a letter if the GM couldn't find me before we left. For what? For telling me to come back? No thanks.

I also found out when we checked out that the GM had not even arrived for work yet so there would be no way for him to meet with us personally since we were on our way out.

That said I was offered a chance to fill in a complaint form. What good that will do awaits me since I have received zero correspondence and it has been over a week and I'm still waiting for confirmation that it was received (which I was told I would receive quickly).

What good the complaint letter would do -- and I said I didn't want to come to TA to air my grievances but alas here we are.

6 - The night we ate in the buffet restaurant (no reservations required), it was "Asian" night. The attempt of sushi was mostly rice. All the fish was cooked and what was being passed off as salmon sashimi was actually smoked salmon.

The few pieces that were set out at the buffet were never replaced (which was also confirmed by one of our servers) which brings me to breakfast...

7 - Morning #1 - I noticed there were meats and cheeses set out. The only one that was never replaced was the prosciutto (of course, the one that was the most money).

8 - This excessive rice filling was replicated in the Japanese restaurant we dined at the following night. If you want rice, go there.

The restaurant staff and bartenders were lovely. Couldn't tell you about the GM because he never showed his face but that sends me a message loud and clear. And that, because of the GM, is why the service is a one star. I would give it none but I can't.

I typically prefer locally owned places and this visit confirmed exactly why. If you are looking to eat mediocre food and get drunk, this is the place for you. If you want to gamble at the Atlantis, your location can't be beat.

Unfortunately, I prefer going more off the beaten path and maybe someday we'll try another all-inclusive, but certainly wouldn't take my chances with a RIU. Very disappointed with the food and customer service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas - All Inclusive
Warwick Paradise Island Bahamas ...
#2 of 14 in Paradise Island
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!