“Great staff, great view, but major flaws”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

The staff at the Riu goes out of the way to please. However, compared to other Rius where we have vacationed, the pools and grounds are minimal. Some flaw in the air conditioning--or something--rendered the carpets, sheets, and everything we hung in the closet damp.
The food was excellent, especially at the Krystal Restauant. Nice beach, plenty of fish, so bring your snorkel.
The buffets were fine; one night featured some excellent lobster.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank TexBeth
Write a ReviewReviews (4,958)

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I went to the Riu on a sell off the day before leaving so price was very inexpensive.

The resort is very clean. Food was okay at the buffet. The steak house was below an average steak house in Toronto. The Asain was good. My daughter loves her pasta's and she was able to get the cooks at the buffet to fresh make her pasta most nights and they made her a tray of lasagna too! Drinks were always good.

The beach was very nice and you can alway get loungers and umbrella's if you wanted $25US for the day. They need a beach bar.

My only complaint was that the jet ski operators did not control people from going in and out of the swimming area. We almost got hit a couple times. They need to move it farther away from swimming area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Travel2theSun
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at the RIU from 7/3 - 7/7. I will start off by saying that I read no less than 600 or more reviews before going on this trip which helped me a lot. I've stayed all over the world in amazing destinations, but I'm not a picky person by any means.

Once we arrived we were greeted with a fruit punch while we checked in. The desk was very friendly. I did take the advice from the reviews and request an upgrade but were told that they were at full occupancy. That made me nervous since so many people complain about their view. This was my husbands 1st vacation EVER so I wanted it to be special for him. It also made me nervous about how hard it would be to find a spot at the pool. We were able to go have lunch or a drink since we had an hour to kill before check-in. We stayed on the 3rd floor, rm 321. I was NOT disapointed with the room at all!! We had a great view of the pool and the ocean. (It was an ocean VIEW room, not ocean FRONT.) THe room was clean, but of COURSE with the humidity, the carpet is a little damp feeling. What do you expect when there's a carpet in that heat?? Our air conditioner was dripping a bit but I called and it was fixed right away. Yes, the bar is stocked but I can only drink diet drinks. The 1st day I called requesting more, they brought 2 more right away, But the next day I was told they wouldn't. Really? It's diet coke...But I don't let the little things get me down.

Food: The buffet is quite good with a lot of selection. I don't know why some reviews said they only had hot dogs and hamburgers at the very time I was there. There was a carving station, pasta station, rice and beans, mac & cheese, grilled cheese, nachos, etc... Dinner was themed and delicious as well. The reservation system of getting up between 8 and 9 is annoying, but my husband made one for Krystal. I can see why they book so fast. They are VERY SMALL. I didn't care for the way they serve you either. You order everything all at once including dessert. We wanted to skip the appitizer and go straight to dinner, but they make you wait until EVERYONE gets their dinner. So we sat there for an hour and 1/2 and left before dessert saying we were full. Next time I would just stick to the buffet. Room service menu is very small, but I knew that before going. It's there if you want a quick late night snack.

Pool: I was VERY surprised that at full occupancy, I ALWAYS found an AMAZING spot at the pool! No, I didn't get up at 7 to save a spot either. Sometimes it was 11:30 before we got down there and NO PROBLEM! I don't know where people are getting that there was only "standing room." I was there at the same time. Yes, the pool is a bit smaller than other resorts I've been too, but it's also a small resort so I wasnt surprised. The pool could've been kept up a LITTLE better as far as cleanliness, but hey, there's a ton of people in there, so of of COURSE there's going to be sunblock etc in the pool. You can simply get out and wash it off. Not worth all the complaints people say about it.

Drinks: There IS top shelf liquor here so I don't know where those complaints came from either. They used Bacarrdi, Smirnoff, Stoli, Absolute, Jim Beam etc...Yes, they have the cheap stuff too but I never had any complaints. Yes, there IS smoking at the bars and outside, however, I'm a smoker and was very relaxed. People need to realize that they are in another country and smokers actually have rights there! LOL. I mean geez, in the '80's you could still smoke on PLANES! That's gross! So, I think the non smokers should come up with something better to complain about. Just sayin...

Beach: I'm more of a pool person over looking the beach, but I did go down a few times with my husband so he could jet ski. I was very nervous about that since I heard scary reviews about them running out of gas etc...But I negotiated down to $80 for 45 min. (2 days later my husband got someone else down to $60 for 45 min.) He had a great time out on the ocean for his 1st time ever. Once when he was down there alone, he was asked if he wanted to buy some coccaine, but neither of us were bothered down there. Yes, you have to pay for an umbrella at the beach, but I was under a free one at the pool with my beverage. :)

Entertainment: They need some. It's pretty bad at night. Even laughable. But I was there to relax, have some drinks and head next door to the casino at Atlantis. You really need to be WEALTHY to stay there. It's SO OVER PRICED. I paid $28.30 for a Red Bull and vodka and a rum & diet. That's $14.15 for ONE drink!! Bottled water=$10. That's INSANE. Not to mention the waitress that brought our drinks over while we were gambling immediately ASKED for a tip before I had a chance to even put my drink down to go in my purse. They were rude and cold and totally not interested in their guests at all. We didn't get the chance to go to the aquarium at Atlantis, but it's free after 6:30 and we heard it's AMAZING.

Tipping: Not required, but when you have someone going out of their way to make you feel good, you SHOULD throw a few $$ their way. I also left a $3 a day for the maid service and tipped my man Big J when he brought our bags up. He was a HUGE help and really made our stay even better. Shout out to Big J!!! We miss you!!! From your "favorite guests in the hotel."

Overall, the hotel is clean, food and service was good. You definitely get what you pay for. My husband and I had a fabulous trip and we would absolutely consider going back. Don't listen to the horrible reviews. They got me all worked up and nervous before I got there. But I was pleasantly surprised and you will too. Enjoy your trip to whomever reads this!! :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
32  Thank Robin M
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed the week of July 4th and I was a little scared to go after reading all the reviews. Some things I read were true, some weren't. The hotel is very clean, staff is extremely polite, BUT there's absolutely not any entertainment, except for the bar at night. If you have children, do not make the mistake I did. Go to Atlantis, instead. This hotel is more for people in their 20s who want to get drunk. You have to be downstairs at least by 7:20am everyday to wait in the long line for reservations to one of the restaurants, otherwise, you'll be eating buffet, which is the SAME everyday, so my daughter and I ate salads, pasta and fruit everyday. (They only have hamburgers and hot dogs as the main dish) Is this fair for paying an all inclusive hotel? I don't think so. If you are there for the alcoholic drinks, go for it!, if not, avoid it!. (Umbrellas $25 a day!). Hope this helps.

5  Thank Rocio C
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed 4th of July week. Very crowded. Restaurants were booked in advance every night so it was buffet over an over again. Pool was so crowded by the afternoon it was standing room only and dirty to the point I would not get in. 4th floor room was nice, clean, small balcony but nice view of the beach. Maid service was good. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank donnabq
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Visited the Riu the first week of July 2013, saw a lot of bad reviews on here so I was leery. Was very pleasantly surprised! While checking in we were immediately greeted with drinks. Our rooms were not ready (we arrived prior to check in time) so they told us to go have some lunch and check back in a few minutes. The service was awesome. Staff was very friendly and so eager to help you. The hotel and rooms were very clean. However, being a tropical location we had some dampness in our room, nothing too bad though. Breakfast (one morning we were greeted to a mimosa bar) and Lunch buffets were great, dinner I was not a huge fan of but it was edible.Breakfast and lunch food choices basically stayed the same (though a nice selection), each night at dinner was a different theme (Italian, Mexican, Bahamian, Greek) one night their was even lobster tails on the buffet which was a nice surprise. Room service foods were great as well. I never tried any of the on site restaurants as I did not want to wake up early to stand in line to make reservations. I was pleased with the pool area, chairs were always available. However, the hot tub is located inside the pool and was actually just a couple degrees warmer than the pool it self. The alcoholic drinks were available at all the bars, restaurants, breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets. The drinks seemed weak, but if you ask the bartender for extra alcohol in it they will gladly oblige. Also, the drinks tend to get stronger once you start tipping a few dollars to the bartender. Tips or no tips the staff was exceptionally friendly and the hotel was very clean and a great value. There are beach vendors that will ask if you want jet skis or hair braids or drinks, just say no thank you and they never bother you again. Entertainment wise they are lacking, but each evening the staff tries hard to work up some form of entertainment in the cocktail lounge area. This resort is literally less than a 2 minute walk into the Atlantis property ( which is way overrated in my opinion, too crowded, too fancy but plenty to do there) I purchased 3 slices of pizza and a water for $30 at Atlantis, just to give you an idea of how expensive that place is. We did take the Blue Lagoon Island excursion while we were there, which you can book in the hotel lobby, it was AMAZING. Even if you do not swim with the dolphins, the boat ride to the private island is beautiful, the island itself is gorgeous with plenty of lawn chairs, hammocks, water sports rentals, inflatable waterpark and even a few inflatables to float in the lagoon while you visit. Prices of food and drink on Blue Lagoon Island were fair as well.

5  Thank 185sunshine168
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Had an amazing vacation. Originally we had a room on the 12th floor. This room was kind of small considering we had two small children with us. We paid an extra $500 to upgrade to an Ocean Front room. This room was AMAZING! You need to get this room. It was so spacoious and the balcony had to be twenty feet in lenghth. The pool was fun and relaxing. We would go there in the morning and no problems getting chairs. In the afternoon we would go to the beach. They really don't bother you at all on the beach. You say no once to the vendors and they walk right by you and tell you to enjoy your vacation. The food was Amazing. WQe eat at the buffet every night because you had to wait in line for over an hour to make reservations at one of the restaurants which was crazy!!! They need to change this policy. Don't do the Atlantis waterpark. It's a ripoff! You can go there for free after 6pm. Went to bed early so didn't stay up for the entertainment. The room service was a joke. They only had like 3 cold items on the list. Overall it was an amazing vacation with the family. To make this vacation more relaing you defiently need to get the Ocean FRONT room not the Ocean View. The room is three times the size. I will defiently go back here. I don't know where all these bad reviews come from. I have been to may UPscale places and this place is perfect for the money. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ocean Front room. It's a must or Family Suite room. The other rooms are way too small. Pay the e...