“Great Stay!”

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Gainesville, Florida
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed about 5 nights and I have to admit I was a little nervous. First time to the Bahamas and first time staying in an "All Inclusive Hotel". After checking in, staff approached us with a welcoming cocktail while we were waiting for the elevator. The room was small, but very clean and good enough for both of us. Every afternoon, they would replenish all the drinks in our room (There was always beer, sodas, rum and water available). The only complain I have is that instead of a King or Queen bed, they joined two full size beds together, so obviously there was a crack in the middle were the two beds join. We did not complain because as a couple, we sleep very close together, but it might matter for some people. The staff was very friendly, some more than others, but in general very nice. The buffet food was way above what I was expecting. We also ate at the steak house and at the The Alexander, a Gourmet restaurant. The food was excellent. Some tips regarding these restaurants is to wake up early between 8 am and 9 am to make reservations for these. At the Gourmet restaurant, it is required for men to wear pants, so pack at least a pair. The beach was beautiful and clean. You can rent jet skies, a banana boat, or go parasailing. Vendors will try to sell you or rent you something, but are very respectful. If you say no, they'll leave you alone. I'm more of a beach person, not a pool one, but I would definitely wish they had another pool. Pool is nice, but small and it was very crowded. Of course there is a sign that says that you cannot reserve an umbrella or chair, but hoarders wake up really early and get the umbrellas and chairs, place their stuff on them and then go back and forth between the beach and the pool all day, and don't give other people much of a chance. Area is kept clean and staff is constantly picking up. For night life, you can walk through the Atlantis beach tower next door and it takes you to the casino, a movie theater, and the Marina Villages Shops. We had an amazing time and will definitely recommend this hotel. Most people were either couples with kids or whole families. Definitely a family friendly hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank titivet_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,165)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Room was average to above average but well within expectations. Hotel staff very accomodating. We had the all inclusive and the food was great. Loved having choice of restaurants for each night. Pool was small but perfect for this hotel. Beach was great. Really enjoyed feeding fish in the ocean that come up and beg. Dudes on beach rent jetskis for reasonable prices, recommend doing so. Overall, this place is very good and because it is next door to the Atlantis you can walk there to enjoy all Atlantis has to offer including gaming and dancing and dining.

Room Tip: The higher floors are best to reduce pool noise during day. Nights are calm. All rooms are sea vie...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Otto K
Norwich
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Food,drinks,pool,ocean,view and on and on. In the future if there is a Riu around the area where I am staying than I`m not looking anyplace else.I`m a beer guy,but them umbrella drinks by the pool were working pretty good.

Room Tip: I don`think it matters.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Walter S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My sister got married at the Riu a couple weeks ago and I was a bridesmaid. The hotel-appointed wedding planner was shockingly rude and unhelpful. E.g. when we asked to see her a few hours before the wedding she aggressively asked 'what do you want to ask me?' After telling my sister that there were no other weddings there that day, she scheduled another wedding in the same location 30 minutes before my sister's wedding! Needless to say that wedding ran over so my sister's was delayed. Despite repeated assurances that it would be taken care of, the floor was wet and dirty - itwas on the restaurant terrace and there was food on the floor lefover from lunch. Gross.
I nothing positive to say about the Riu.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bernice F
RiuHotelsandResorts, Social and Community Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear guest,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us. We are extremely concerned to learn of your disappointing experience during your stay and would like to apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced.

We are deeply disappointed to find that our team did not turn around this situation to your complete satisfaction during your stay. Please be assured that we have shared your comments with the respective heads of departments involved and actions would be taken to address all your concerns.

We hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of Guest Service that are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,

Travelers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

West Greenwich, Rhode Island
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Right next door to Atlantis, but of course you need to stop at the beach to Atlantis if not staying on property. We came from Atlantis, and added the end of the trip at the all inclusive. The pool was small but nice, beach very pretty but rough. A smaller older resort than we are used to, and the steak and Japanese restaurant were our favorite. No real nightlife, so if you want that, walk over to Atlantis. Ask for top shelf on the drinks and pack a solo cup or thermal sipping cup from home, to keep from constant trips to the pool bar. Staff was very friendly

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed June 19, 2013

So, I have to say I was extremely nervous reading some reviews, however this trip was wonderful! First walking into the hotel, the front desk wasn't as pleasant as I had hoped for. We had came a few hours early and wouldn't let us check in a minute before 3, as well as, give us an upgrade for anything less than $100 per night. We took the room given and I must admit it was still beautiful. We had the view of the ocean and of the pool.

Beach- We later went to the beach which was so beautiful and the vendors are NOT as bad as some of the reviews make them. The jet ski vendors were actually funny, and if you say no once they don't bother you again. They have to make a living too! Also, there was a shark in the water and they were the first ones to get everyone out of the water!

Pool- We didn't spend much time at the pool, but the swim up bar is great. I recommend the Pina Coladas! They were delish!!

Food- This was something I was also very worried about, but was pleasantly surprised!! The lunch was just OK, but the breakfast was awesome and dinner was AMAZING. We went to the steakhouse which was great, but Krystal was definitely our favorite!! The lamb was to die for, and I'm always nervous to eat lamb out. The appetizer, entree, wine and dessert was phenomenal! I actually wish they had this is NY to go back to!

Spa- My boyfriend had a deep tissue massage and said it may be one of the best he's ever had!

We did the dolphin excursion through Blue Lagoon which was great!! Every night we would walk over to Atlantis (which was literally steps away) for the casino, comedy club and such. Granted, they had more stuff to do in the evenings, however they are EXTREMELY over priced and make NYC look cheap! 4 martinis was $70 and the club entry was $50 for men and $25 for women. Go to the aquarium after 6 because then its free!

We had a wonderful time and I was debating between 4 and 5 stars. You can't beat the price! It was a great trip!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Amanda A
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My friend and I went for five nights. I was a bit apprehensive due to the reviews, however every aspect of the hotel exceeded expectations. The food was fresh and very good. The only thing that was inconvenient was the reservations for speciality restaurants. I am going to go there very soon with my entire family

• Stayed June 2013
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!