“First time I ever went back to same place.”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
NJ
“First time I ever went back to same place.”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I just want to say this is the first time I've returned to same hotel. Reasons being that every room has a ocean view with a private balcony, communication is easy (english), I feel safe walking around off premises, never have any stomach problems because water is safe there and I enjoyed the food the first time. So after given my reasons I now want to tell you about my recent visit (oct 3-10). Some of the things I didn't experience the first time. I paid the extra money for superior room and I got room 1129 which is 11th fl poolside and the closest to the beach for regular room. The view was beautiful. The dresser had half of the drawers broken and were either hard to open or the bottoms were slightly open but we did use them anyway. A couple of mornings we experienced some colder water early in the morning around 7:00 am ish but then after 8 am seemed to get hotter. I had no musty smelly issues but it's not uncommon in the Caribbean with the humidity and if you open the sliders often. A little mold in the shower area but nothing to complain about again product of that kind of environment. Humidity and volume of rooms being booked. My only other complaint is the pool. Clean and clear the day we arrived and then for the next few days it was cloudy and had black things flouting around then back to very clean and clear. I had no problems booking restaurants for every night. Stood in line for 10 to 15 mins tops and got 6:30 dinners every night except for last night. So my opinion is that for the money going to paradise island and eating and drinking as much as I wanted plus the liquor dispenser in your room or beer in the fridge that it's a good deal and that's why we returned. Buffets are buffets so not sure what your looking for. Anyone I meet seemed happy with your choices and overall taste of the food. We enjoyed the specialty dinners. Heard a lot of stories of people that went to the Atlantis and got raped of there money of course. Yes, Atlantis in stunning and beautiful but you pay for every bit of that. I don't think I will return because I don't usually do that anyway and I would really like a bigger place next time with a bigger property. Careful if you rent a jetski. Someone we meet rented one and I believe they patched up a crack that probably came undone when this person was driving it so when he returned jetski they claimed he damaged it. He told us he didn't do anything except ride it around and didn't come close to anything. Jetski people called cops and wanted him to pay $1,000 for damage. After about 2 hours and cops being there they settled on $200 for the damage. They beat the crap out of those machines and you could see some have been repainted which leads me to believe they patch them up and if it comes apart they blame you and call the cops. Watch out.

Room Tip: Odd numbers pool side and even numbers are noisey ac side. I've been on both. More private on AC...
4 Thank upsbob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Southbury, Connecticut
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We checked in on Thursday October 11. We were given a room on the second floor. We requested a room on a higher floor and were told there were none available. We went up to the second floor and were greeted by a terrible chemical smell which got much worse upon entering our room. It was so bad that even though our balcony was fairly easily accessible from the ground, we decided the risk of being robbed outweighed the idea of smelling the chemicals all night. We put in a request to be changed the next day and thankfully were accommodated. We ended up on the 12th floor which was lovely. Friends had a room on the even side of the hall (facing Atlantis) and we were on the even side. At night their view of the Atlantis was spectacular. I liked our view during day which was mostly beach.
The staff were wonderful, especially the wait staff, bartenders, and cleaning people. Had dinner in the gourmet restaurant and the steakhouse, both were fabulous. Front desk staff were not as friendly as most hotels which was surprising as they probably should be the most hospitable in the hotel.
Overall, I would have scored the hotel higher had I not had that initial room experience. Would highly reccommend that you request a high floor with initial booking as I am sure they would have accommodated.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank kimpooh
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I recently spent a week at the RIU, Paradise Island and unfortunately after reading other reviews, we can only concur with the overall average rating of 3 star for this all-inclusive resort. We did get lucky with a nice room and wonderful ocean view. The staff/service were excellent. The food and private restaurants were great as well. However, the lobby of the hotel and the other common areas needed much improvement. Overall the decor was very outdated and most of the furniture was chipped and soilded. One day it rained so hard that the roof began to leak into the main lobby. The pool didn't appear very clean, and the one day that I did venture into the pool to participate in water aerobics, I was surrounded with black debris. I think the biggest issue was the medicore nightly entertainment. I personally think one night should be a club night, where they have a DJ spin and allow people to dance, because we all have seen enough impersonations of Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, and now Whitney Houston! As much as I enjoyed getting away for a much neeeded vacation, I was eager to leave, because I can stay home to sit in my room and watch TV, which was the highlight of our nightly entertainment. I would not recommend this RIU to others.

Room Tip: Do not request an oceanview room when making the reservations, because in most cases if you are able...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Hi everybody, I hope my reviews help! This was my fourth time here and every time the place would get worse! Yes worse:(. So you are asking if that's the case why keep going back? Right? PRICE!! And the fact that its a short stay get away! So if a cheap holiday is what you want and you don't care about food because your not picky (at all, not even a little ) then your good to go here, sorry I don't mean to chop any place this bad but this place has gone to the pits, management doesn't care especially the acting tall male white skin gentleman who would not reveal himself as the manager when you would have a complain and then stand off with you nose to nose on a disagreement! Yes wow!!! The staff have warned me about this manager which remembered me from previous who were very happy to see me because they were great which made a bad stay good, after talking to them they were very unhappy with new management which made the service horrible, cant blame the staff its hard to make guest happy when you representing the hotel is sad.I love to travel and do quite often, I always have a great time and always get along with the staff, made many new friends along the way and confrontation is not ME!! Spend the extra and go somewhere where food is better and the staff loves working where there at! Helps for you to get better service!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Fred M

Travelers are raving about these Paradise Island hotels

East Meadow, New York
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I spent a wonderful 6 days and 5 nights. We were concerned about the staff and rooms etc after reading the reviews. I must advise everyone not to worry. The room was wonderful, the maid service was very accommodating. The pool was never over crowed as previoulsy advised. The restaurants were excellent and the buffet was enjoyable. The front staff were the best. We were celebrating an anniversary and we were given a bottle of champagne and a tray of fruit. I would recommend this all inclusive hotel to everyone.

2 Thank rosebudx2012
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We went there as a couple expecting 5 star ammenities and entertainment. Unfortunately there were no water sports or any entertainment! Marlon was a train wreck as he kept telling everyone that he was a 2005 graduate of a dance school in New York...WHO CARES!!! We wanted to see live dancers, singers and actual acts. Riu should really invest in entertaining their guests day and night. We had a fantastic time walking over to the Atlantis which was right next door! Food was plentiful, service was excellent.
Beware of Ocean View room. They first gave us a room with 2 double beds which were pushed together with NO view to the beach...unless you walked over our balcony and onto the roof of the hotel! After we complained, we were given a very nice room which had the city view, but at least we had a bed we weren`t afraid of sliding in between.
Overall, the food was ok, the service was excellent, but the ammenities were quite subpar...would NOT go back to this RIU again.

Room Tip: Make sure you view your room before unpacking your things. Don`t let them tell you that they have no...
2 Thank lisa j
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The wife and I traveled with another couple to their choice of the RIU. After reading reviews here we were very leary about staying here. Truth is it's 3 to 4 star. We Enjoyed it VERY much.

Pros.. Good Staff.. from front desk to bars to room attendants... Very happy with them. Buffet was nice, I've had better but this wasn't bad at all. Inclusive dinner service was ok.

Cons... Inclusive dinner service was just ok. Food was good not great. Drinks are small but no problem going back. Beach services that aren't part of the Hotel, and the hotel should try to reign it in.. it was sketchy. Drug sales.. bad pricing... and harassment overall, but again.. not the hotels fault.

We would return to Riu in Paradise Isle... we had a GREAT time there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!