“It is not as our expectation”

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
“It is not as our expectation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We visited this resort in July 2012 we were a group 44, our booking was ocean view, however they offer us the worst rooms in the hotel, you can not See either the ocean or the pool,the team working at the front desk have no idea about customer service, they are ignorant people, we reach to the hotel 12 hours late as the flight delayed , we reached around 5 AM day after however,they did not gave us our rooms till 3 pm ! With no explanations or Mercy,you can not enjoy the beach, as you have to pay $ 25,00 per umbrella , yes it is not a joke, imagine you are in a 5 stars hotels with no umbrellas on the beach, you have to pay those local people?, you can not use the beach,in the other hand the pool is a very small one , this hotel is not good for families or kids even for seniors so to make you life easy Do Not Go!!!!

Room Tip: Higher level overlooking the pool and the ocean at the same time as the other side is ocean view but...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sam L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,145)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

i have been to riu palace in aruba and i thought it was great so i thought i would give the riu in paradise island a try .i was not disapointed.The service was great ,the hotel was clean, the room was great and the food was great.You have to wait on line in the morning to make a reservation for the al la carte restaurants but it was never more than 15 minutes and you can
make it for 2 days.The wine in the restaurants was good and they are not shy in refilling your glass. All and all it was a very enjoyable trip

Room Tip: i emailed ahead to make a reservation for dinner in an a la carte restaurant for the first night a...
1 Thank qman7
Kitchener
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

After reading other reviews I had an idea of what to expect here. I have been to Riu in Puerto Plata so was a little familiar with the chain. Riu's are generally nice but don't have the little "extras" to make it amazing. Beach is georgeous, sand is super soft. There are quite a few "husslers" on the beach but if you say no they will leave you alone. I travelled with another female so they did hussle us more than most (couples) I believe. There are some fish right at shore, and they are quite friendly and will feed right out of your hand if you bring bread or bananas. Only complaint about the beach is there is no bar or bar service. You have to walk up stairs to the pool every time you want a drink. In September in the hot heat, this can be quite often. Check-in was simple. We travelled sunwing and they're pros. We arrived at different times than other travellers from the airport, as they had smaller vans, so this was perfect, no waiting in long lines. Drinks were ready for our arrival. Room was nice, clean and air conditioned. Fridge was good and stocked everyday. Housekeeping was good, clean towels, soap etc supplied everday. We never used room service, but it's included. Only thing I wish they had was channel guide in the room for tv. Not that we watch alot, but one rainy evening we spent the night in, and it would have been handy. Bars are good, but I found service at pool bar only good if you tipped. All other bars had great service and good drinks. Buffet restaurant food was really good with themed nights. We were there for Italian night, Bahamian Night, and Mexican Night. Only complaint I have is booking of the Specialty Restaurants. You need to do this between 8-9 a.m. and wait in a long line, and mostly just to find out they are booked or not open (Sunday) for the time you wanted. So, needless to say we were unable to try the specialty restaurants to our dismay. The menus are posted outside their doors and they all look really good. I think they should definately change this procedure. I don't want to get up at 8:00 when I'm on vacation and if I did, I wouldn't want to wait in line especially to find out they're booked anyway. If they can't change the procedure they should at least post signs before you get in line to which times are available still. But better yet, book first come first serve and have a limit to how many times you can go. Some people book for all seven nights of their vacation and then others can't go at all. Limit to 3-4 times per vacation. We didn't do any excursions except Jet Ski. It was fun, but make sure you barter for a good price. They're generally start off more than twice the amount. You can go over to Atlantis to the casino for free, all other exercusions at Atlantis will cost money. Drinks are free when you're gambling. Wifi is available in the hotel for 90 min free each day. You can pay for more after that. 90 min is all at once, you can't turn off and come back to use some more. I'm not sure why it's not available all day for free, if it's there.. ??? Overall, we had a lot of fun, and like I said, it's a great resort, but RIU just needs to pay attention to a few little more "extras" to make it just that more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Most rooms are ocean view, so higher is usually better.
1 Thank tripsrusKitchener
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Our Sept 2012 trip to this all inclusive resort was a return visit for us having also gone in 2011. The food is plentiful and delicious. The buffet at all three meals a day was outstanding. Most noteworthy about this facility is the outstanding and friendly staff from the front desk, to the wait staff, cooks, housekeeping to management provides first class service. The facility was clean, very well decorated and a superior beach destination. I highly recommend this facility.

If you do not have an international mobile phone plan, data rates are extremely high in Nassau. In the sports bar, you can access the internet for your messages, etc for only 5.00 for 30 minutes. The computers are very fast and a good value.

Room Tip: Low and high numbered rooms quarter face the ocean. Rooms in the middle of a floor directly face th...
1 Thank QwickerRon
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Awesome 16 year anniversary vacation for my wife and I. going to bahames in september was terrfic. Awesome beach and great food. Service was exceptional. Was it perfect know. But it will be perfect with an optimistic attitude! Bring bread for the fish at the beach. Go on stuart coves snorkeling trip. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: If you are not happy ask for a new room!
2 Thank gsirakis15
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We are 2 women in our 40's - we had a great time at the Riu. Just got back yesterday from a 1-week stay.
Though we loved our vacation, I do agree with many of the critiques from fellow travellers.

Plusses: mostly all rooms give a view of the ocean, with odd-numbered rooms being on the pool side. We were in 815 & had a stunning beach view. I would have been ticked off had I paid more as we got a great view for the bottom price. The beach was spectacular The sand was a beautiful white. The water was a stunning turquoise. No rocks or seaweed on the shore. Rivals almost any beach I've been to on any island. The food was pretty good. Probably the best of all all-inclusives I've been to. I would have liked to have had more Bahamian food - I'm Jamaican & would have liked to experience more of the Bahamian culture at this hotel....but regardless, the food was pretty tasty. The Bahamian themed night @ the buffet was spectacular. A La Cartes: Steakhouse was very good - huge piece of meat cooked perfectly. Krystal (fusion) was OK - nice dessert, appetizers a little fussy. I thought the drinks were pretty good at all of the bars - some good international liquor at no extra charge (I've been to other all-inclusives where we had to pay extra if we didn't want the knock-off brands). However, I found you had to ask specifically for the brand of liquor you wanted, or else you would be given a cheaper or local brand.

Cons: there is a moisture problem in the rooms. It took a few days to get the right balance of air conditioner temperature so the moisture smell was gone, but it wasn't too cold. The pool could have been cleaner. The jacuzzi didn't work. Umbrellas were not free on the beach. Entertainment at the hotel is not so hot - it's all indoors & shows are a little cheesy with poor sound system.
However, none of these cons were deal-breakers, and I would definitely return.

Overall, a great trip for 1 week. I don't think I'd do 2 as there's nowhere to go on Paradise Island really. Atlantis is nice, but you can only go so many times. Riu isn't great for kids - no kid's club or activities. Considering it was hurricane season, we lucked out with fantastic weather every day and a great price. The best meal I had all week was downtown at 'Fish Fry' - if you love seafood, worth the trip down there.

1 Thank Karen T
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The beach is gorgeous. The staff from front desk to bell hop & maid service were all great, efficient & attentive. Mini bar stocked daily, room cleaned daily. Steakhouse was very good, Fusion was ok, unlike other guests I think Japanese was pretty good. Lovely island & people. Would recommend. Don't forget you're in the Caribbean so the humidity is unavoidable.

Room Tip: We had room 731, recently renovated, great view. Keep the AC cranked to minimize humidity & enjo...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive
Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,701 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your experiences!