“Top Notch !”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
NJ
“Top Notch !”
Reviewed May 27, 2007

This resort is a must see. We have returned year after year. The staff is great, the rooms are clean and well appointed with flat screen TV's, great water views from balcony. Gourmet resurants that are expensive, but worth the money.

This has remained my #1 destinatination for years, and with new additions, just makes us keep going back for more !

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Suzi02

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,509)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Denville, New Jersey
Reviewed May 25, 2007

We just came back from at 4-night stay May 21-25 at the Royal Towers. My husband and I went with our two boys ages 7 & 4.

We arrived in the Bahamas Monday morning via a short, direct flight out of Newark Airport. When we arrived in the Bahamas we immediately took a taxi, which plenty are readily available, to the Atlantis. Many of the taxis are minivans so there is no need to hire a separate van or limousine for larger items you may be bringing, i.e. a stroller etc.. The taxi took us immediately to the Atlantis which was a 25 minute ride.

We arrived at the Atlantis around noon and the gal book us in a room that was already ready. We had a Water front room with two queen beds. The beds and linens were quite comfortable and Housekeeping within 30 minutes of us calling brought us 4 extra pillows. I was quite impressed as many other hotels I can think of including our Disney Timeshare Properties in Orlando and the Borgata Hotel in Atlantic City gave us a really hard time when we asked for extra pillows - only two extra were permitted and we had to beg for that. No questions asked here in the Royal Towers.

The boys every morning went to the Kids Center from 9-1. They absolutely loved the Camp. The Camp has flyers of the weeks events so you can review the schedule of the activities for the week. The one age group was from ages 3-5. This group stayed in the Center and did many activities.

My other son was in the ages 6-8 group. They did a lot of activities outside of the Center. They went on a tour of the Dig, they did beach activities such as building sand castles (though the kids were not permitted in the ocean, which I thought was good); they did swimming.

They stayed for lunch each day which is an extra $15. My husband and I felt extremely comfortable with the staff and security at the Kids Center.

While the kids were in the Camp each morning, my husband and I went to the Spa. The Spa is truly First Class. The staff was professional and extremely attentive.

The afternoons were spent by the Pools. We primarily stayed at the new Kids Ripple Pool. It was great because the boys say at the Kids Pool some kids they had met at the Kids Center and had so much fun there with their new friends they made !

We "parked" ourselves at the kids pool but we did go on the new River Raft Ride. It was unbelievable. It was nice for my younger boys as he could go on the River Raft ride with me on a double tube even though he was under 48". We loved it.

From the River Raft Ride, you can take a turn to go right up to AquaVenture, which my husband and older son did. They were without words to describe Aquaventure.

The nice thing about the entire Pool and Water Areas is I did feel they were very well staffed with Lifeguards.

If I had to mention some negatives about the outside Pool Areas they would be the following: 1) not enough attendants cleaning out garbage cans. Several garbage cans remained overflowing for several hours. It is windy in the Bahamas and thus, overflowing garbage cans means garbage blowing around. 2) not nearly enough waitresses to take drink orders poolside 3)while we were there no live music or any music for that matter poolside - this would have been a nice touch.

We stayed poolside until 6, which is when the slides close (pools then close at 7). We ate at The Marketplace which is the Buffet in the Royal Towers the majority of the time for Breakfast and Dinner. We thought the food was awesome there.

We also had some breakfasts and lunches at Murray's Deli - excellent also.

A lot of people complain about the high prices for food at the Atlantis. Yes, it is high. However, once you see the grounds, and the facilities you have being a guest there - I think you should understand why the prices are high.

There was NOT enough time with a 4 night stay to do everything here. Our next visit will be for a week.

We loved it so much that we are now shopping for a resale Time Share there at the Atlantis' Harborside Resort. We like vacationing here better than Disney in Orlando.

Do allow arrival back at the Bahamas airport at least 2 hours in advance of your flight. The airport is very crowded between like 11-3 each day. You will need two hours for everything.

It's a great place for families as kids are very welcome, there is a lot for the kids to do and keep busy. At the same time, they have the nice Kids Camp and even in room babysitting to allow the parents their time to relax also. While being at a First Class Resort......

• Liked — Water Areas - pools and slides
  • Disliked — nothing
9 Thank RoseIC
Raleigh
Reviewed May 22, 2007

When we got there it looked like a dream. There were so many water sports we stayed royal towers for 3 days and there was so much to do.

You think you've died and went to heaven.
This is the bes hotel in the world

• Liked — just it
  • Disliked — just it
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank charbo12
Old Bridge, New Jersey
Reviewed May 21, 2007

Overall: This was an absolutely fabulous trip. Input from Tripadvisor helped quite a bit. If you understand what Atlantis is and what it is not you should not be disappointed. As noted, it is expensive, but when you see the landscaping, aquatic life, pools and architecture it is very understandable why it is so expensive. The cost of keeping this place up must be tremendous. If you are looking for a secluded, tranquil vacation, this probably isn't for you. Atlantis is an opulent Vegas style water park. It is what you make of it. The Imperial Club was a highlight for us. We travel a lot and tend to stay in very nice accommodations, and I must say this really was extremely nice. Rather than a day by day review I’m going to break my review into categories.

Arrival: After a bit of trouble with rescheduling our limo service we decided to drive ourselves to Newark airport and use long term parking. This turned out better than expected and we started off the trip by saving $$ on the limo. Our Continental flight was uneventful and on time into the Bahamas. We arrived at noon. We had Majestic transfers that came with our package. Atlantis has a large desk at the airport and quickly guided us to left outside the main door to the Majestic buses. The bus was air conditioned but very, very crowded. I was stuck in the back on a hump for an hour. The trip was very long because we had to stop and 4 other hotels. I would not get transfers again; I would just take a cab. However, not a big issue. We arrived at beautiful Atlantis about 1 pm and were cheerfully greeted and our luggage was taken by the bell staff. We were direct to the Sun Lounge for Imperial Club Check in.

Imperial Club Check in: The Sun Lounge is to the left just inside the main doors. We were immediately attended to and someone came to escort us to the 19th floor Imperial Club Lounge for check in. Upon arrival at the beautiful lounge we were offered drinks and a light lunch of salad and nachos. Very nice. They quickly took our information and informed us they had a water view room with a full balcony on the 23rd floor for us with a gorgeous view. The room was ready immediately.

Imperial Club Accommodations: The room was very nice. Nicely appointed furnishings, typical hotel room arrangement, with two queen beds as requested, flat panel TV. We found the beds and pillows to be extremely comfortable and we are very picky. Relatively large bathroom, not the elaborate Ritz marble but perfectly nice. Room was very clean (no mold we could find in the bathroom, nor any bugs), carpet looked new. Balcony was extremely nice, view was even better. I am in the process of posting lots of pictures on Web shots. We overlooked the Roman Baths, Power Tower, Mayan Temple and the Ocean. View was beyond wonderful. If you understand that if you a book a room here you are getting a room, not a suite, you will not be disappointed. The bathroom is not going to be opulent. In my travels I have stayed at many Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons hotels, and some of the rooms were extremely elegant and others were just hotel rooms. Not much you can do with a hotel room arrangement.

Imperial Club Lounge: This turned out fantastic. For us it saved us quite a bit of money. They had food selections almost all day. There were soft drinks, coffee and tea offered all day. We would eat in the lounge for breakfast and lunch and then could splurge on dinner. Breakfast consisted of a nice assortment of pastries and croissants, bagels, toast, fresh fruit, and cold cereal. Lunch had 3 types of salads and nachos and around 4 pm there are small sandwiches and wraps along with cheese and crackers and vegetable platter. Cocktails between 5 and 6pm. Desserts after 8 pm. A couple of cakes, pastries and cookies. Very nice. Most nights we had dessert here. This gave us a chance to digest some of our dinner. We really love this. The staff was also very attentive and helpful.

Hotel Public Areas/Landscaping/Marine Life: Very elaborate. This is truly a Vegas themed water park. Beautiful flowers and palm trees everywhere. The fish are everywhere and amazing.

Water Activities: There is so much to do here we only had time leave the grounds for one excursion. We spent a lot time on the rapids, current and Power Tower. The rapids and current are fun. My husband does not like wild rides but he loved these. They are not tame, but there is no real roller coaster type activity unless you climb the Power Tower. The rapids are fast and bumpy, sit up in the tube or you will bump your rear. The current is also cool. The wave generator can be wild so be careful. Some waves are big and if they break nearby, you may be dumped. The double tubes seem more prone than the singles for this. Keep your back to the waves. All the Power Tower slides are awesome. There are two types, we did both. There are blasts of water that push you up and then you spiral down. Very cool. I was worried the blast of water would be too rough but it was pretty smooth. There are also special affects. This is totally fantastic. We also did the tubes into shark pool tunnel in the Mayan Temple. This was really great. My son did the Leap of Faith and said it is wild. He thinks he was free falling at one point. We did the lazy river and after the rapids and current it seemed very small. Nice kiddy ride. It is very shaded with tropical plants and I was a little chilly even though it was sunny. My son and husband rented wave runners on the beach. Although they are advertised as $60 each for ½ hour, we went early in the morning and got 2 for $100 for ½ hour. Be careful they don’t short you on time, they cut it very close. My son did parasailing and it was $50. Be careful of the vendors. We gave them a $5 deposit the day before because they were closing and when I went back the next day with $50 they told me they had no change so I could take it or leave it. We just took it because they let me ride for free, at other places I have had to pay to observe. The ride was wild. The driver went out really far and was going very fast. Faster than I remember. He also was not really paying attention. Going full throttle and fiddling with his hat, not looking where he was going and not holding the wheel. Made me a bit nervous, but my son had a blast and we got back safely. One note, the pool water can range from extremely cold to warm, depending on the pool. The small waterfall pool next to the Power Tower was very cold and the lagoon pool by the Coral Towers was warm. Contrary to what I have read in some other posts there is at least one hot tub that is not part of the spa. It is located near the lagoon pool by the Coral Towers.

Restaurants: Overall, they are expensive but we found the food all very good. Prices quoted are for 3 adults and includes tip. Please remember that your tip is included. We forgot first night and waitress did not say anything, she got a 30% tip, oops. Bimini Road: Marina Village. Nice atmosphere. We sat outside. Band was playing, it was loud but we could still talk. We all had sandwiches and they were good. Meal was around $100 with appetizers. Murrays: Marina Village. Great dinner. Large portion of onion rings and potato pancakes for appetizers. Huge sandwiches. I think two people could split one. Around $100. Breakfast not so good. My husband asked for the Baggins sandwich, with eggs over broken. They had no idea how to do this and it turned out terrible. The meal came in pieces including the sandwich that had no eggs initially and no condiments. Then the eggs came out sunny side up and almost raw. They offered the sandwich at no charge though. So they were nice about it. Mesa Grill: Fantastic. My son and husband had the strip steak which they said was the best they have ever had (and they are steak lovers). Cooked perfectly and seasoned nicely. I had the lobster tail which was spicy and plenty big. The appetizers were tasty. Meal: $350 with appetizers and 1 cocktail each. Seafire Steakhouse: Marina Village. Nice dinner. Yes it is noisy but we asked for a table toward the back and it was not bad. Prime rib very nice. Filet mignon also very nice. All cooked perfectly. $325 with appetizers and wine. Café at Great Hall: We were initially disappointed with the selection but our meals turned out delicious. My husband and I split the shrimp scampi prepared tableside which was fun. My son had lobster with a tempura coating which he loved. Although this is billed as a moderate restaurant we found it to be as much as gourmet. $325 with appetizers and dessert (no drinks). Café D’Angelo: Coral Towers. Food was very good, but we found it to be a bit dark and menu print very small. Hard thing when you middle aged. Although billed as fancy gourmet it turned out to be cheaper than Great Hall. $250 with cocktails and 1 dessert. Marina Pizza: Nice for quick lunch.

Spa: I had a facial and my son had a massage. Both were nice. Prices about the same as other resorts I have been too. I bought some products, but only because I wanted to, I did not find them overly pushy. Gym was very nice. Large and plenty of equipment.

Staff: We did not find one unpleasant staff member. Everyone was helpful and I think genuinely nice. Our room was not made up one day, but housekeeping was very nice and followed up until someone came and made up our room and gave us extra towels.

Dolphin Cay: This was a very nice. We did the shallow water interaction which was more expensive than the one I did at Blue Lagoon previously. Both were nice in their own way. Dolphin Cay was less theatrical than Blue Lagoon and seemed more focused on learning about the dolphins and their habitat and interacting with them. We interacted with Sasha, a 22 year old who lost her home in New Orleans. I think the animals are still in the process of being trained because at one point Sasha took off to meet up with a male dolphin at the other side of the Cay. She came back quickly once they called her. It was kind of cute.

Weather: Well, we almost left! Our first full day it poured all day, and the weather stations were reporting a stalled front that was supposed to stick around all week. I was devastated. But of course we could not get a refund or a flight home, thankfully. The next day the sun came out and stayed out the rest of the vacation. We had to work not to get burned! So, moral of the story, don’t listen to the weather reports, they were wrong all week. Boy am I embarressed.

Departure: Since we forgot to call Majestic 24hours in advance we could not get the bus to the airport. This was fine with me since I did not care for it anyway. We got an Escalade and the driver was very nice and pointed out sites along the way. Took much less time and was much nicer.

All in all this was one of our best vacations and we travel a lot and have done some elaborate vacations. It was expensive, but actually less than I budgeted for thanks to the club floor. We will definitely go back. I would like to try the Cove, but the Royal Towers are so centrally located and we loved the Club Lounge. I’m not sure where to stay next time, but we will back. I have some pictures on webshots if you would like to see them. Here is the link to our site: http://travel.webshots.com/album/559121540swVNVO

• Liked — The view, the Imperial Club, the water attractions, the landscaping
  • Disliked — nothing it was terrific
3 Thank momcat1959
Illinois
Reviewed May 17, 2007

After staying at 4 star hotels all over the world, this was the most aweful staff I've EVER dealt with. They acted bothered by every request, they were constantly trying to sell you on their time share rooms. If they didn't have an answer for you they told you to go to another desk or transfer you to a random voice mail. There were repeated instances of this. We travelled with two small children and it was a just about a nightmare. The resort is gorgeous and the pools and aquarium are fantastic, but the staff really ruined it for us.

Among other things, on our first day our room wasn't servicesd until 10pm.

Our young boy had the flu and after throwing up in the room, I called to ask for paper towels to clean up. I had to call 4 times before I finally went to the lobby to complain. The gentleman working the desk had to eventually fetch the paper towels and cleaning stuff for me to take up to the room. This took about an hour and a half. The staff was completely unsympathic and unhelpful to us. When parents have to deal with a sick child on a trip, the last thing they want is attitude and the run around.

When ordering "warm milk" for my boy, room service brought an extremely hot glass that had a heavy layer of milk skin on top. I ended up having to go to the ice cream shop and have them fill our bottle. We brought our own milk warmer but we unable to store milk in the fridge unless we would have to pay $15 a day to have the mini bar cleared.

They did not allow a late check out after telling us it would be "no problem" when we booked the trip.

I was unable to do express check out from the room or check our final expenses. The worse part was that I had to call 3 times about this as they kept telling me to call back in an hour. And to boot, the staff was at my door at the 11am checkout time hurrying us out.

The food prices are insane. Family dinner at a buffet was $120 (2 adults, 1 child and a baby who was free).

Everytime somebody acted like they genuinely wanted to assist us or give us directions, it always end with a sales pitch. It was very clear that this staff takes care of the celebrities it invites to the resort and treats the others like crap. They better turn that staff over quick. I could go on and on, but I think you get the jist. It's also hard to pin the attitude of the staff, you need to experience it. If you'd like to visit a resort where you feel like burden to the staff, this is your place. If you can duck the staff and hang by the pool you might be ok... but maybe sure you bring lot of cash to cover the food! This is the first time I've ever felt compeled to write a negative review of a place I've stayed.

• Liked — Pools, landscape, aquariums
  • Disliked — staff, service, attitude, hidden costs and food prices
2 Thank rusas
nj
Reviewed May 15, 2007

Atlantis is full of stuff to do, with awesome water slides, strong drinks, lotsa fish and blue waters. While this resort is infact, as grand, beautiful and new as the website promises, I would like to point out a few things they leave out of thier resort description:

1. the $40 extra/night you will pay in taxes and 'gratuties'. my grievance is not with the $20 in taxes but rather with thier use of the word gratutity. i had a manager break down the use of that extra 20 bucks and a mere $4 is actually given to the woman who cleans your room. the other 16 actually pays for 'energy.' right, $40 extra isn't exactly the end of the world when you're paying over $300/night anyway, it's just something to keep in mind when youre paying 'gratuity' everywhere you go.

2. if you're a female and you're single, be weary of the 'flirty' staff. when you're in a bathing suit, the male staff in the resort have no problem cat-calling and hitting on you EVERYWHERE you go. sounds harmless enough but it gets old very quick. i went with just me and a girlfriend and we spent a good part of our trip rejecting creepy men who didn't know the meaning of 'no.'

3. everything is a scam. pack snacks and singles so you're not stuck with the taxicab driver or bartender trying to sneak off with a few bucks here and there or stuck paying $8 for a bottle of water down by the pool. p.s. tip is included in everything you buy so don't tip extra unless you mean it.

4. families, families, families. the nightclub brings in people from off the resort property but during the day, be prepared to swim next to kids in waterproof pullups.

all in all, i wouldn't go back unless i was in a big group or with my big boyfriend. i also wouldn't recommend staying there more than a few sweet days. we were only there for 4 days and that's about all i could handle. it was a good time overall but you better be in good company or the scamming will ruin your trip.

• Liked — water slides
  • Disliked — creepy male staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank emrod
Ellicott City, MD
Reviewed May 12, 2007

My Wife and I stayed at the Royal Towers the fist week of May. My wife (god bless her) earns incentive trips through her Pampered Chef business. We earned a 5 day trip and extended it for one extra day. Breakfast was paid for as well as a welcome and farewell dinner, the former was outside across from the Cove by the beach and the latter was done around the main Royal Tower pool. The staff did a good job with both.
At the Airport, I found out that you can request a voucher (prior to your trip) from the Atlantis for a ride to the hotel instead of a taxi. The posted taxi rate to the hotel is $27.00.
I paid $32.00. (traffic) The airport has wireless internet access and the only duty free shop I saw was for liquor. The ride to the hotel was uneventful. Bahamians drive on the left side and a bit fast and loose.
We checked in about 10:30am. We checked our bags with the bellman prior to check-in thinking our room would not be available until the afternoon; luckily we went right up to the 4th floor overlooking the Cove and the “Current”. The room was nice… two double beds, a small table and a 32” lcd tv. (geek alert) The LG lcd tv uses the NEXTV system for cable and movies. Internet access is available for $10.00 per day over the tv or bring your laptop (and a cat5 cable) for wired access. Wireless access is free (pid-guest) but spotty. We used SKYPE and a wireless USB phone (linksys) to make phone calls back to the US. (2 cents per minute) The TV inputs are disabled. I disconnected the vga cable from the NEXTV system behind the TV and connected it to my laptop. Now I have options! (it’s what I do….sorry)
Mini bar is “pressure sensitive” so if you lift, you pay! Nice Melita coffee and tea pod system. The rest of the room was pretty standard. Compares to a moderately priced Disney hotel room. The maid service was just OK. Rarely restocked the coffee bar and shampoo but kept us in all the towels we needed. Found a condom wrapper on the floor while looking for my wedding ring I “misplaced” from the dresser. PLEASE lock all your valuables in the safe or at least keep them out of site. Security is running an investigation and will turn the incident over to their risk management dept. I’ll keep everyone posted on the outcome.
The resort is gorgeous! The landscaping is beautiful with scores of different plantings with a palm tree and red hibiscus theme running throughout. Live music played every day just off the beach. The landscaping kept the sound muted around the resort enough to keep it enjoyable. Music is also piped in through strategically placed ground speakers which sets a nice mood. The Atlantis grounds are also replete with sculptured fountains, waterfalls and pools filled with various aquatic life from sharks to mantas. Just a wonderful place to be!
The water features are numerous. Lazy rivers, pools, slides, and yes even white sand beaches. We travel quite a bit and are always on the go so this vacation’s plan was to do less than nothing. We planted ourselves across from one of the zero entry pools feeding the “current”; a wonderful inner tube filled river filled many paths. You could choose to float with the current on your one or two person rafts or take the rapids course or even conveyor up to the multiple slide towers without leaving you raft!
Pools open at 9:00am and the water rides open at 10:00am and run ‘till 5pm. Pools close at 8:00. For us it was numerous laps around the current, sun, reading, pineapple spears and goombay smashes. (coconut rum, white rum and pineapple with a splash of Galliano)
After a torturous day at the pool we took a break from the sun in our room and readied for dinner.
Our first night out was dinner at the Marketplace just off the lobby of the Royal Towers. The food presentation was excellent and the food was good but not great. There were lots of choices from sushi to pizza. $51.75 per person. A great value if you are really three people. I’m still full!
We also ate at Carmine’s located at the marina whose entrance is just off the casino. When they say family style, they mean family style. One dish could easily feed 3-4 people. Not a good place to dine as a couple. The food was very good as we split fried calamari and a pasta in garlic and oil. Add two glasses of wine and the bill was $92.50. We had leftovers!
The Atlas bar and grill was good for a change of pace. I liked the local pilsner beer.
We did venture off property one night to the Columbus Tavern. It is located just past the One and Only club (you can take the complimentary shuttle to the club and walk) Look for a new hi-rise being built on the marina side. The tavern is in front of it right on the water. Walk down the left side of the hi-rise. The food is good and more reasonably priced. The atmosphere is casual and the staff very friendly. The porch is right on the water and the view is nice.
We did not take in the night life. The movie theater is gratis and plays first run movies. The comedy club has two shows Tues thru Sun at & 7:30 (pg rated) and 9:30 (unrated)
The Casino is a casino….
Overall, The Atlantis is very well done. We were fortunate to stay at a time that was not very busy. Someone said they were only 30% full! The new Cove hotel was to have their grand opening celebration the following week. I understand grand openings are quite special at the Atlantis so maybe everyone was waiting until then. There ware days by the pool where is saw only 5 or six people!
I did not touch on the Aquariums, the “dig” and the Marina. You just have to see them for yourselves!!!
Given all that there is to see and do (especially see), the room rate is worth every penny, especially off season! Food prices are over the top so budget accordingly if necessary.
I know I was having a great time when kept trying to figure out how to build one of those lazy rivers in my back yard so my wife and could float off into the sunset…..(it’s what I do….sorry)

Given an absolute choice between Disney(world) and Atlantis… Animal Kingdom Lodge all the way!

We’re off to Niagra-on-the-lake wine country in September so I’ll post my impressions in another thread.

Have fun!

• Liked — The Hotel Grounds
  • Disliked — The Maid service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
8 Thank dentalitpro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#6 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!