“Great place for the kids, but it can be pricey”

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Boston, MA
“Great place for the kids, but it can be pricey”
Reviewed May 25, 2006

We stayed at Atlantis in May - We were there for 6 days, 5 nights - a perfect length in my opinion. We booked travel through JetBlue so did not have pre-arranged transportation. We took a cab to the hotel from the airport ($30 going and $27 coming back - they didn't charge us for our 2-year old on the way back).

We stayed at the Beach Towers. Our original room was right next to an elevator so I requested a change because of our toddler. Thankfully, I got a better room. The original room had a lovely "terrace view" of the major construction going on! I wasn't expecting much in these rooms based on previous reviews, so it was a good thing my expectations were low - it really is no better than a Holiday Inn.

Housekeeping was very inconsistent. When we first went in, it was clean but there was still used soap & shampoo in the tub. And there was only 1 hand towel & bath towel. Our room was only cleaned every other day. Hubby found the towel closet so we just grabbed all we needed.

We never left the facility. Just did the beach, pool & aquarium/marine life every day. Marina Village was very nice as well. The aquarium is pretty neat. We did walk over the Royal towers side to go to another kiddie pool & it's like you're going into another world. the landscaping is beautiful over there. As one of our friends commented, the beach towers is more like the "jersey side".

Dining was expensive. Thanks to great advice here we saved $ by bringing milk & cereal so had breakfast in every morning except for coffee. Here is where we ate:
Mama Loo's - very disappointing. They were so unfriendly and the food was only so-so. Carmine's - the best deal if you are traveling in a large group or with another family. We were traveling with another couple so it worked out well to split meals. We ate there twice since we enjoyed it so much. ~$100 bucks for a meal to serve 4 adults / 2 kids, without drink.
Shark Bites -great for a quick and relatively affordable lunch.
Bimini Road was only so-so for us for lunch but very friendly there
Johnny Rockets is a sure crowd pleaser with the kids. It's just like at home, but service was poor.
Bahamian club - our splurge meal. Very $$, and a bit disappointing. For the price (and for less), I have had better food. This was a little disappointing.

Relative to hospitality and service, we found this to be up and down as well. Getting into the bahamas was easy. Coming out was aggravating. Had to go through security twice, very slow etc etc.

All in all, a great resort if you have kids or enjoy the pools and beaches. I wouldn't go back again any time soon as I would like to go try some other places. It is very expensive, but convenient in that we didn' t need a car rental since we never left the property. There were enough pools, beaches, and marine life to keep us occupied for 6 days.

• Stayed May 2005
15 Thank lil_acorn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,493)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed May 5, 2006

Stayed at the Royal Towers and enjoyed every minute. Would highly recommend for couples, singles and familes, there is something there for everyone. We were located on the 16th floor of the towers and had a beautiful view. Expected more from the room such as double sinks, maybe a whirpool tub but I feel we paid for the view and convience of location. I'm sure all the towers are great and close to various attractions. In the future I would consider trying Coral and Beach towers. We used the dining plan and really felt it was worth the money and convenience. We enjoyed the Marketplace so much, we ate breakfasts and dinners there all but 1 night. Tried the seafood buffet at WaterEdge but was not impressed, infact, the manager was kind enough to refund our dinner and we proceeded back to the Marketplace. Selection was great, made to order omelets in morn, stir-fry for dinner, steak, ham, pork, turkey sliced to order and I couldn't resist the chocolate fountain to dip fresh fruit and marshmellows along with pies, cakes, cookies, jellow and ice cream! The pools were fantastic, enjoyed the lazy river, leap of faith and slides through the shark pool can't be missed.Children were well-behaved and atmospher was friendly. Be sure also to make time in your schedule to watch the feedings of the sharks and stingrays. Weather was fantastic, 84 degrees and no humidity. Beach is a short walk along with the marina for shopping and island atmosphere. Tried the spa, be sure to book early as they had a non-stop line for massages and facials. Plenty of walking and enjoyed casual strolls through the aqariums. I am a devoted Disney traveler and must say that I feel this hotel rates up there with the Grand Floridian and Yacht Club for service, cleanliness, courtesy, variety and friendliness. Hotel service was excellent, mistakenly ordered a movie and it was immediately credited. Never left the hotel grounds, plenty to do, see, eat, enjoy.

27 Thank LANDAOZ
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 4, 2006

The overall feel of the resort is nice. The beach and pool areas are great. The bad news is the room was awful! The Royal Towers are supposed to be the nicest rooms on the propery, selling for $350 USD and up per night. We were there on award trip through my company and I felt as if it wasn't an award at all. Our room had dirty carpet, an AC unit which was unadequate to keep our room cool even though the temperature outside never reached over 85 F, the bathroom light fixture was coming out of the wall, the wall switches and covers were all rusting and discolored, and the shower curtain was discolored. I have stayed at many Hampton Inn hotels for less than $80 USD and they have all been nicer than this. I loved the hospitality of the Bahamian people and took advantage of the lower prices on luxury goods, but I will never stay at the Atlantis again. As though the room being awful wasn't enough, be prepared to pay dearly for any food/drinks purchased. Two cocktails by the pool equals $21 USD. Everything you eat/drink has 15% gratuity added so don't expect good service as they don't care because you don't have any control over the tip. What a disappointment!!

• Stayed May 2006
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2006

My husband arranged our trip to Atlantis to celebrate my birthday! He spent a significant amount of time researching the trip in order to plan a perfect long-weekend get-away. Overall, Atlantis was better than we expected. As a couple without kids looking for a little bit of adventure and activity, we were surprised at how well orchestrated the facility ran and how beautiful the grounds were maintained. In many ways, it is the Disney of the Bahamas - a perfect place for kids or youthful adults looking for different options to satisfy any persons desire.

The most pleasant surprises:
1) Dining. Elegant/fine dining was exceptional. Cafe Martinique was memorable. Nobu was enjoyable. Ocean Club Dune was outstanding. Service at the fine restaurants were fantastic - and the food was superb.
2) Cleanliness. No ants. Clean pool and surrounding areas. The flowers, the statues, the acquarium...that's when we felt like we were at Disney. And, having no kids on vacation, we didn't mind the little ones running all around. The place is spacious!
3) Accomodations. Room was great - Nice bedding and decor with a fantastic ocean view in the Royal Towers. And, the high def TV was a perk - especially when we wanted to relax in our room with the balcony door open. And, the best part - the Transit Lounge (for the day when you are departing and you have an afternoon flight) is fantastic so you can store your stuff and shower before leaving the complex.

The common "issues":
1) Service. We're in the Bahamas and shouldn't the staff have at least a friendly "attitude"? Most were unresponsive and unfriendly. Even when we checked in, our clerk didn't even lift her head. Nor was our room ready (common trend...and we checked in after 3 pm). And, when our pre-arranged dinner reservations were cancelled, we were not notified in advance so we had to scramble to make other arrangements (keep in mind, everything was BOOKED solid so we had to push hard to get into a restaurant that same night - it wasn't easy).
2) Expense. I will always tip and pay gratuity for service and hospitality. However, the 15% gratuity on EVERYTHING is a little over the top. It actually frustrated me that whether I was getting my own sandwhich outside by the pool or ordering from the pool waitstaff, there was the automatic 15%. I don't mind paying 15% (and usually I'd pay 20% as my underlying rule) when someone is helpful and providing a service but when I'm getting a sandwhich thrown at me across the counter, I don't see why we need to pay more. Oh well! Plus, we tipped our room every night, only to find an additional $20/gratuity added onto the bill at the end of the trip. They claimed it was for the room servicing even though the bellman and housekeeping are said to be "discretionary". They find a way to get that last nickle from you. Be prepared.
3) Racing speed slides. Ouch! Careful if you are over the height requirement. The water is shallow at the very bottom of these two racing slides. I ended up cutting and bruising my elbow when I hit bottom and my husband had a long scrape on his back. I think they need to make it a little deeper for safety's sake! The rest of the slides - fantastic. I was in my youthful element.

Overall, the place exceeded my expectations based on pervious reviews. I would definitely bring my kids when that time comes. My husband and I had a blast. Just be aware of the common issues so they don't weigh down your spirits. Enjoy!

Stayed May 2006
29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
palm coast
Reviewed April 5, 2006

Me and my wife stayed as guests at Atlantis, Coral towers for four nites. The service was good. Although prices of food and any other neccessities were very high, but I think compared to what else is available, they are ok.

But I would try to make some arrangements for those who do not want to spend as much.

3 Thank topadhikari
Oregon USA
Reviewed April 4, 2006

We stayed at the royal towers for 5 nights we had a wonderful view of the constrution work on the new buildings nice to see where all my money was going
the room was nice but I have had alot nicer for less
we had trouble getting room service and had to call several times to get the honor bar refilled and by the way the honor bar has sensors if you pick up something to look at it you just bought it, I can understand why the service is poor they dont pay the help very well at all, I like to have the choice of tipping the only person that deserved more of a tip was our maid no one else went above and beyond, the pools are great If you can find a lounge chair your not supposed to save them but I seen the same people saving at the beach and the pools "RUDE", The food was great everywhere we ate just VERY expensive

4 Thank Partsman2525
New Orleans
Reviewed April 2, 2006

I am a "type A" personality who researches everything before hand, and some of the reviews I read about Atlantis generally, and the Royal Towers specifically, almost dissuaded me from going to Paradise Island. I must say, I am very glad I heeded the good reviews rather than the bad, because we had a really fun trip.

We were there 3/29/06 through 4/2/06. Usually I would avoid the Carribean during Spring Break, but a good friend and I were celebrating a special birthday, so our dates were not flexible. It was crowded, but we expected that. I think, all things considered, the resort did a good job managing the crowd. If you don't want crowds, go to the Abacos, not Nassau/Paradise Island.

We arrived at the hotel around 12:30 p.m. There was a supervisor by the check-in area, who began chatting with me while I waited for an available front desk employee. After about 2 minutes, he told me to follow him - he'd go ahead and check me in. I politely asked him for an even numbered room in the east tower, as I'd read those had the best views (even though we booked and paid for a harbour/marina view). I fully expected that we would have to wait a few hours for our room, as check-in is not until 3:00 p.m. Imagine my delight when he handed me keys to an even numbered, 10th floor, east wing room (10526), and told me to have a good stay!!

Our room was great!! It was clean, well appointed, and had a fantastic view of the Mayan Temple, Aquariums, Royal Baths pool, and the Carribean. It was not the Penninsula, or the Four Seasons, but I did not expect it to be, as you are paying more for the resort amenities than the room at a place like this. All in all, we were very pleased.

Housekeeping was excellent. We tipped her $5 on the first day, and she was very accomodating the entire time we were there - turn down service, extra towels, etc. We tipped her another $10 when we checked out.

Much has been made of the "rude" staff. I believe the people who write about "rude" staff were likely "rude" to the staff. I find you get what you give, particularly in the Carribean. If you are friendly with them, they are friendly with you. If you act like a spoiled American who is doing them a favor by being in their country, they are probably not going to go out of their way to make you feel welcome. We encountered two or three waitresses I would classify as indifferent, but that would have been the case at almost any resort/vacation destination. Every other Atlantis employee, in restaurants, spas, pools, lobbies, etc., was friendly and helpful.

The pools were very crowded, but we are beach people (I can go to nice pools at home - I go to the islands to enjoy the beach), and the beach was fine. While some people "reserved" loungers at the beach early in the morning, that was not necessary (it was necessary at the pools). You could get a lounger any time of day on the beach. Tip: if you go to the section of the beach to the east of the property, between the beach bar and the Rui, it is much less crowded than by the beach in front of the Royal and Coral towers. We rode the slides on Saturday when they first opened at 9:00 a.m., and were done with all of them in half an hour, so those lines were not bad at all.

The locals hawking water sports, souvenirs and braiding are around, but they are not "in your face." If you have your eyes closed, you don't need to respond to their general calls. If you make any kind of eye contact while they are making their rounds, such that the question is directed to you, a simple "no, thank you, not today" will keep them away from you for the rest of the day.

On to my favorite pet peeve topic - dining. It amazes me that people complain about not being able to get reservations, but they waited until the last minute, or even worse, until they got to Atlantis, to try and make reservations. If you are use to fine dining, you know better than to wait until the last minute to make reservations. This is true the world over, not just Atlantis. Just try and get a reservation at Per Se in New York less than a month out, and see what happens. I made reservations at Dune, the Bahamian Club and Nobu a few weeks before we arrived, and had no trouble getting the time I wanted, and we were seated promptly upon arrival. The food was wonderful, exactly what I would expect, particularly from Jean-Georges and Nobu.

Even worse on the dining topic are people who complain that 15% gratuity is added. Again, this is customary at resorts all over the world, not just Atlantis. Further, unless your wait staff massively offends you, you have no business tipping less than 15% to begin with. We added at least another 5% at every meal we ate at Atlantis - our waiters were good, and they deserved at least 20%. As a general rule, I dismiss every review I read that complains about tipping 15% at a fine dining establishment. Frankly, if you have a problem with 15% tip at a place like Nobu, you don't belong there.

The fine dining options at Atlantis were not any more expensive than eating in New York, London, LA, Las Vegas, etc. Dinner for two, with a before dinner drink each, one moderatley-priced bottle of wine, and an after dinner drink each, splitting one desert, and tip was about $300. Again, what I would expect. I travel often for work, and the room service prices were comparable to other higher caliber hotels as well. Yes, it was expensive, but what do people expect on an island resort?

The spa at Atlantis was good, but the spa at Ocean Club is available for reservations by Atlantis guests as well, and was far superior. It was more expensive than the spa at Atlantis, but well worth it.

The casino was a bit disappointing. The lowest limit black jack table, even during the day on weekdays, was $15. At night, the lowest was $25, and there were only one or two of those, with the rest having table limits of $50 to $500. Even at the Bellagio and Wynn in Las Vegas you can find some $15, and lots of $25, black jack tables at night. As a result, I did not play at all while we were there, and I would have liked to a bit.

All things said and done, this was a great vacation. I'd recommend the Royal Towers if you want to go to the Bahamas. However, I admit I prefer the Caymans, and would likely go back there before returning to Paradise Island.

Hope this review will be helpful to other people who are as picky as I am!

• Stayed March 2006
48 Thank NOLATarheel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Island
The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!