“We loved the waterpark, aquariums and the people, but...”

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Barrington, New Hampshire
“We loved the waterpark, aquariums and the people, but...”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

First of all, we did know what we were in for with the cost of everything at Atlantis. And most of the staff was very friendly and accommodating. That said, our room in the Royal Towers was very average (the view was very nice though). The elevator was miles from our room. Our phone wasn't working and they didn't fix it for a couple days. It rang in the middle of the night a few times in the bathroom... yes, there was a phone right by the potty for some reason? They sent us a beautiful "welcome basket" which they later said was sent to the wrong guest room. With their tales between their legs, they called to ask for anything we didn't open back - really??? Then we kept getting calls about our "door", but we'd never called about a problem.

When we arrived at the hotel on Friday night at 5pm, all the pools were closed and could not be used? We asked why the hotel pool & all pools, hot tubs were closed at 5pm every night, but didn't get an answer. Plus, we were told many variations of answers from many of the staff when we asked if they had a "hot tub". No one really knew, or wanted us to know. We believe it's because they want travelers to spent money shopping in the Harborside or in the hotel "mall" between the Beach & Coral Towers - or gambling at the casino. We weren't on vacation to do that. We like to take a late night swim or relax in a hot tub.

The food at the Market was very good, but the cost for the kids ages 11 shouldn't be the same as the adults for the buffet ($60)... they just can't eat that much. The kids had blast at the waterpark, and loved the lagoon and the aquariums. So that part of the trip was excellent. Plus our dolphin adventure was fun, and the staff was wonderful there! They did take way too many photos, and it did feel a bit too commercial at the end- like it was all about the photos and not the "adventure". We bought the photo cd for $100 rather than purchase separate photos for a ton of $ each.

We wanted an extra night there since our plane went out a day late. The pools and grounds were nearly vacant on Tues/Wed, so we thought we'd ask to stay for the additional night rather than move to the other hotel we'd reserved outside Atlantis. Since we'd had some problems with our room, we thought they might give us a break on the $600/night charge - but that wasn't "possible" said the young man at the front desk, even after her "asked" the manager. That made us feel better about leaving. We ended up staying at Paradise Harbor Resort for only $167/night with a full suite, pool & right at the marina.

I understand that Atlantis has to pay for all the staff at the waterparks, aquariums & beaches, but they should also be more accommodating to their guests. That includes giving them free wifi, and other essentials that all hotels provide. If they were more customer focused they would have us as return customers. I believe that most visitors go once, then move on. They would be smart to understand the concept of repeat business. On the way home Jet Blue gave us that service and we will always go back to them now:)

Room Tip: Don't expect to go in the pools or hot tubs at night. And, if you walk or jog, there isn't...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Susan S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,475)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have been to this resort many times and will keep on coming back. The lazy river is the most fun you can have and better than any lazy river I have ever been on at any water theme park. The restaurants are great and depending on when you're there you may even see some hollywood actors. The city is not a far cab ride and the shopping is great. You have to go here at least once.

Room Tip: Stay at the Royal Towers and not the Coral Towers. Been to both and there's a big difference.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Ocala Florida

Twenty Dollar Mistake

I had wanted to go to Atlantis Royal Towers since I saw Pierce Brosnan and Salma Hayek in the bridge suite in 'After the Sunset'. Recently I got the opportunity to go to Atlantis for an educational conference.

The building infrastructure and overall appearance is excellent. There are beautiful aquariums, great walking paths and adventures for dolphin as well as seal and sting ray interaction that are great for families. The lady who cleaned my room, Stephanie, was friendly and helpful as most of the staff was.

There were exceptions, that I want to believe are secondary to how the hotel is managed, by Kerzner International. It is a business afterall, but frankly, business needs should be weighed more carefully against public perception of the experience at this property.

A point of note, you will be charged for the bellman once and for daily pool maintenance whether or not you use these amenities. I do not know if you might be charged for pool towels but it would not surprise me. It is so small as to be insignificant especially relative to the taxes and charges daily added to your room [as expected] which makes it all the more annoying.

There is a strict policy at night of "no reservation, no dinner" at many restaurants. I was refused seating just after opening at Olives [ in the Casino] one night when there were clearly only 6-8 people there. I was offered a seat at the bar which might have been fine if my back were not sore that day. I think I should have been offered a seat with the understanding a reservation was due in an hour and that was my 'self imposed' time limit if I opted to sit in a 'booked' situation. Even restaurants in much busier NYC will squeeze in extra paying clients. It seems counter to business model and the other nit picking costs.

Don't call for that late check out until the day of departure. It is a rule.

Don't pay 22.00 a day for internet that is often spotty at best.

Do not use the business center amenity since there is a per minute charge for internet. I needed to print a boarding pass. I was told in advance I would be charged for using the business center and was directed to the nearest Boarding Pass kiosk which when I used it could not provide such pass so I was forced to return to the 3.00 for the first five minutes internet in the business center. Again, the website could not execute my 'check in' and the young lady helped me over the next several minutes eventually get my boarding document. It took her and I a total of16 minutes, should have cost 10.00 but she was nice, cut it back to 15 minutes, 7.50 being the charge. Since she did not have any change in the business center ? she only took 8 from my ten. Then she remembered to charge me for the printing which happened to have some color in it. Another 1.25 for the page.

As to the food in the 'gourmet' rsetaurants which are more expensive that the priciest in New York City [was there this Christmas], the food in the Bahamian Club was excellent. Cafe D'Angelo and Nobu were not. The flatbread pizza in Olives was excellent also as was the BBQ in Virgil's.

Overall, I was sufficiently disappointed to say I find it impossible to imagine ever going back. Price of my decision not to return: about twenty dollars.

Madanark

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank Madanark
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

I surprised my husband for his 40th birthday to Atlantis . This was our second return here .
Beautiful beaches clean resort lots to do . Water slides were fun great resort . Restaurants were great. They harbour where the ships are are beautiful. Great staff and clean rooms .
Atlantis is a must !

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank princessD18
Hanford, California
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is a great hotel. Right on the water, beaches nice and clean, clear warm waters. Just across the bridge is some great local foods. Rent a taxi for the day, doesn't cost alot and see the island from the locals views.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We travel about 5 times a year and I don't consider us fussy or overly demanding travelers. We've spent a lot of time in the Caribbean and know what to expect. My in-laws travel to Atlantis once a year and had encouraged us to go with our toddler for my husband's birthday this year. I'd always thought it was too expensive and kind of cheesy but what the heck, right? I made the reservations through the official website: a one-bedroom Regal suite in the Royal Towers. I added airline tickets as well to take advantage of the $250 credit. I also called in a request for a crib since there is no way to do that on the website.

THE ROOM:
It seemed nice overall. When we arrived, I confirmed the crib request at check-in and was told it would be in the room within 45 minutes. What's the point of asking for it ahead of time if it's not there when you need it? Ultimately, it took another phone call (almost 3 hours later) to have a crib sent up. Not good.

One of the two sinks in the main bathroom was clogged when we arrived. I called Prompt Response and they said they would send someone. After a whole day out, we came back to find the sink still clogged. Another call, another "we'll send someone in 45 minutes." It took three calls to get that taken care of. Not good at all.

We booked a suite so our little one could have some space to herself at night. But the pocket doors separating the two rooms didn't close all the way. It looked like they had been installed incorrectly and no one bothered to correct it. After the multiple phone calls about the crib and the sink, I just gave up trying to have a 5-star hotel experience, with doors that actually close.

Our suite was supposed to come with a personal concierge. This person was never revealed to us and we never heard anyone refer to themselves that way. Perhaps he or she could have directed us on how to get the most out of our overpriced vacation. Sadly, anyone we asked for advice came up short or didn't have an answer or gave us bad information.

THE RESORT:
They claim to cater to "even the youngest travelers," but there's very little for kids under 3. Our little one enjoyed the sand at Cove Beach, but we found glass and trash in it. She liked the pools but was obviously too young for much else. And, because we were traveling with a little one, we brought our stroller thinking we'd like to go on walks. Silly us, there are stairs everywhere and finding an elevator was nearly impossible. After much searching, I think we found 3 that we used almost every day. Or we just carried the stroller up and down stairs as needed.

Why must everything outside shut down between 4:30 and 5pm? We traveled from cold Boston to enjoy the warm weather in the Bahamas. Only we got there just as all the beaches and outdoor dining options were closing for the day. Atlantis expects guests to spend as much money as possible but don't provide guests with every amenity available? That's just bad business. I'm sure they do it to force guests inside to spend money in the restaurants and casino but it just made us go off-campus to find what we needed.

Breakfast options were sparse: buffet or take-out. Lunch was the only meal that was reliable because we were outside at one of the cafes. It seemed as though a third of the restaurants were closed for dinner (are they seasonal?), often with no way for us to know that until we got to the door. Several of the restaurants don't allow children under 6 years old. Every day we spent at Atlantis was a frustrating hunt for decent food, the opposite of every other vacation we've ever been on. I suppose we could have just ordered room service but what's the point of eating in your room when the outside is so lovely? Oh right. We couldn't eat dinner outside either.

And what about respecting the dress code. Atlantis makes sure to point out what appropriate attire is but no one seems to respect or enforce it. I saw way too much flesh indoors.

The last morning of our trip was interrupted by a wake-up call at 4:30am that we didn't ask for. The person on the other end of the phone was incredulous that we didn't order the call and was unapologetic about the mistake. The automated Atlantis robo-call that came a few minutes later added insult to injury while I was trying to get our toddler back to sleep.

Our suite included a late checkout. At 8am, four hours after the rude awakening, I called to request it and was told we'd have to be out by noon. If normal checkout is at 11am, how is 12pm a LATE checkout? When I asked for 1pm, since we hadn't gotten any sleep and our daughter needed to sleep, I was told there was nothing to be done. Nonsense!

That was the last straw for us and we couldn't get out of Atlantis fast enough after that.

OVERALL:
The only good things about our stay: $200 resort credit (that we used on food), daily breakfast for 2, and the internet access. All of these were "exclusive benefits" that came with the suite but I never felt like we got our money's worth.

For the $5,000 we paid for 4 nights and the flight, we expected Atlantis to be more on par with a Ritz-Carlton or Intercontinental or Fairmont property. Our conclusion is that Atlantis is more like a land-based mid-range cruise ship, complete with low-class guests and spotty service.

They already have our money so saying we won't be back is pointless. However, we can't ever recommend this resort to anyone we know and like, unless expensive mediocrity is their thing.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the ocean side. Otherwise you're looking through palm trees.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank krpl
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Let me preface this by saying, we went to Atlantis as a family-business trip. I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old I watched while my husband attended conferences every morning. The pools were great, and we swam at a different one almost every day. We swam the Splashers pool quite a bit too. However, my kids would have been just as contented at ANY swimming pool. They were too little (and scared) for most of the slides. So walking what felt like a mile and back by myself with a tired two year old and four year old to go swimming every morning and afternoon was a bit too much for them. Also, I found the staff at the resort to be a bit aloof and annoyed by all the tourists which is odd because tourism is their #1 industry. I just thought some genuine friendliness and good customer service could have done them good. EVERYTHING is expensive and EVERYONE expects a tip (friendly or not). There were a couple exceptions. We were taken on a tour of the underground "fish hospital". The employee, Edven (I believe), was exceptional. You could tell he loves what he does. Finally, the rooms need major updating. Our bathroom smelled like urine the entire week. I'm not sure if the resort is having sewage issues or what. Half of our lights weren't working and the carpet was starting to rip up. On the bright side, the beds were comfortable and the view was great. And our maid did a wonderful job keeping the room as clean as she could. We stayed in the east tower oceanfront. Sadly, I probably will never go back to Atlantis or even Nassau. There are plenty of other tropical locations to check out.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Comfort Suites Paradise Island
#5 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,534 reviews
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,740 reviews
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograp...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,543 reviews
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!